US Open

AUbritt

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really happy for Spieth. Love the intensity and competitiveness he plays with, and it couldn't happen to a better guy. I'll comment a little more on the golf tomorrow, but I finally got to watch an entire round today, and unfortunately the one thing that stood out to me, was what a pitiful job Fox did representing such a great championship. So many miscues, awkward silence, poor knowledge and crap analysis, all the way down to literally pointing the camera in the face of the wrong man while Jordan dedicated the win to his dad on father's day. I don't know what the contract is, but I really hope they don't get it again next year.

Really happy for Spieth. Love the intensity and competitiveness he plays with, and it couldn't happen to a better guy. I'll comment a little more on the golf tomorrow, but I finally got to watch an entire round today, and unfortunately the one thing that stood out to me, was what a pitiful job Fox did representing such a great championship. So many miscues, awkward silence, poor knowledge and crap analysis, all the way down to literally pointing the camera in the face of the wrong man while Jordan dedicated the win to his dad on father's day. I don't know what the contract is, but I really hope they don't get it again next year.

Fox coverage was spotty...and they were forced...or chose to spend way too much time defending the golf course and explaining that next time they play there the other 16 greens will be as nice as 12 and 13.

After the FIFA scandal, makes me wonder what someone got paid to select that course for the Open when it was apparent that it was not ready for the tournament. And loved their emphasis that it was a "public course".....technically that is so if you have $299 for the greens fee.

And the fans could barely see the tournament....had to watch the TV screens to see what was going on...the tournament was saved by the unbelievable finish.

All in all....USGA dropped the ball on this one...and it was great to watch despite the course and the TV coverage...JMO

I looked up some putting stats, just because I was curious.

Here are the current top 5 players and their putts per hole averages:

1 Jordan Spieth 1.684 2 Morgan Hoffmann 1.702 3 Dustin Johnson 1.706 4 Justin Rose 1.711 5 Jason Day

At the 2015 US Open, here's how they did"

Spieth was T15 (in the field), averaging 1.75 putts per hole.

Hoffmann was T43, with a 1.81.

Johnson was T5, with a 1.71.

Rose was T43, with a 1.79.

Day was T11, with a 1.74.

All did worse than their average, though DJ actually only did marginally worse.

However, some players putted really well at the US Open, with 4 finishing 1.68 or better (in other words, better than Spieth averages on all courses).

Other notables:

Billy Horschel averages 1.775 putts per hole and managed 1.82 at the US Open.

Sergio Garcia averages 1.744 per hole and managed 1.79 at the US Open..

Ian Poulter averages 1.725 per hole and managed 1.76 at the US Open..

Jason Dufner averages 1.769 per hole and managed 1.82 at the US Open.

All putted worse at the US Open (though I would guess that's pretty normal -- I haven't compared all US Open putting stats to season averages over the year).

The player with the worst average on the PGA tour I could find takes 1.867 putts per hole on average. 8 players averaged over 2 putts per hole at the US Open.

very good analysis....and already available this morning.

I never fully understand the stats...the effect of missed greens and one-putt saves though I guess that works out in the long run except for my friend Bill who doesn't hit many greens but always gets up and down with only 1 putt and never misses anything shorter than 5 feet...

But as for the Open.....surprised the stats were so close and all things considered, the differences are very minor and could be affected by the pressures of that big event....or the course...or who knows?

I could not always tell where the greens were this week but a number of holes had "back boards" that allowed the guys to just hit long putts or pitch-ups past the cup and let the ball drift back down to within couple feet.

As for the differences, from top to bottom of the names on the list, that amounts to give or take, 1 stroke difference per round... which I guess can translate into wins and real $$$ over time.

Yeah, putts per hole is not a great stat, for the reasons you mentioned. Also, I want really to compare the 2015 US Open to other US Opens. Can't find those stats.

I would expect US Open greens to be tougher than average.

:dunno:

Yeah, putts per hole is not a great stat, for the reasons you mentioned. Also, I want really to compare the 2015 US Open to other US Opens. Can't find those stats.

:dunno:/>

considering the number of really long putts I saw, there were a reasonable number of 3 putts...though DJ could dispute that...but I think the way the holes were placed with slopes and back boards that allowed the players to easily lag close to the hole from great distances helped though it was amazing to me how many golfers did not try to make those long "birdies"...just lagged against the slopes and let the ball go close to the hole. It just seemed like some strange golf to me seeing players deliberately hit approaches and tee shots (par 3s) well past some holes with intent of the back board top save the shot.....and no concern that they would be off the back of the greens.

This was definitely a course where experience made a difference and I think many golfers changed their strategies around the greens from one day to the next.

considering the number of really long putts I saw, there were a reasonable number of 3 putts...though DJ could dispute that...but I think the way the holes were placed with slopes and back boards that allowed the players to easily lag close to the hole from great distances helped though it was amazing to me how many golfers did not try to make those long "birdies"...just lagged against the slopes and let the ball go close to the hole. It just seemed like some strange golf to me seeing players deliberately hit approaches and tee shots (par 3s) well past some holes with intent of the back board top save the shot.....and no concern that they would be off the back of the greens.

This was definitely a course where experience made a difference and I think many golfers changed their strategies around the greens from one day to the next.

Agreed. I think Spieth had an advantage, since his caddy used to work at Chambers Bay. But experience was certainly key.

Great tournament. Loved the harsh conditions. USGA did a good job of making this the toughest test in golf. With all of the whining by the Americans, it's no wonder we have lost grip on the Ryder Cup.

Oosthuizen had the best finish ever in a US Open. I won't get the quote exactly right, since I'm going from memory. But he said something like:

I couldn't get the speed right on the greens on the front 9. I really pushed myself to be aggressive with the putts at the end of the round. It's a great feeling when you're aggressive with the putts and they go in. It doesn't always work, of course.

Sounds about right to me.

Oosthuizen had the best finish ever in a US Open. I won't get the quote exactly right, since I'm going from memory. But he said something like:

I couldn't get the speed right on the greens on the front 9. I really pushed myself to be aggressive with the putts at the end of the round. It's a great feeling when you're aggressive with the putts and they go in. It doesn't always work, of course.

wow what a profound statement. :-\

wow what a profound statement. :-\

I'd have thought you shared that sentiment, golf. Like I said, I didn't get the quote exactly right, I'm sure.

Here's a good article on the players complaining about the greens. If Poulter's photo is really of the greens (hard to tell where the greens started), then I'm starting to come around a bit to their point of view.

As a gOlfer myself i never understood the "aggressive make it mentality " vs lagging it. Unless you are inside 5' or playing scramble.

As a gOlfer myself i never understood the "aggressive make it mentality " vs lagging it. Unless you are inside 5' or playing scramble.

Not sure which you prefer but I doubt anyone commenting here has ever played on greens that even remotely resemble the Chambers Bay layout. I don't expect that any course those guys have played previously prepared them for the nature of this course.

Contrary to the post above, it was not just US golfers who had some unkind things to say about the greens.

Maybe rather than defending the course we should be asking why the richest country in the world with agriculture colleges in every state and more golf courses than can be counted...could not get a decent coverage of grass on the greens ?

crappy greens is not how the USGA should produce drama for their tournament. Lots of CYA going on right now. JMO

As a non-golfer, I have a question.

Was the angst directed primarily at the greens or the golf course as a whole?

The complaints about a few holes having par changed or the tee boxes moved ... I quite frankly think that is whining ... So you had to prepare for a few "extra" holes.

The complaints about the course (outside of the greens) being brown versus green ... Again isn't this a standard European style links course standard?

So that leaves the greens only, right? I agree that it is ridiculous for guys to read the pace and slope of a green, hit a good putt and then have the green alter it. Regardless of whether they all had to play it. Maybe it's semantics but I wish the course bashing and the complaints about the "future of golf" were limited or in context.

Again, I am just a casual fan, player, observer.

As a non-golfer, I have a question.

Was the angst directed primarily at the greens or the golf course as a whole?

The complaints about a few holes having par changed or the tee boxes moved ... I quite frankly think that is whining ... So you had to prepare for a few "extra" holes.

The complaints about the course (outside of the greens) being brown versus green ... Again isn't this a standard European style links course standard?

So that leaves the greens only, right? I agree that it is ridiculous for guys to read the pace and slope of a green, hit a good putt and then have the green alter it. Regardless of whether they all had to play it. Maybe it's semantics but I wish the course bashing and the complaints about the "future of golf" were limited or in context.

Again, I am just a casual fan, player, observer.

There were lots of complaints, including the greens, the course in general (too hilly, too brown, etc.), the course set-up (especially #18 as par 4 vs. as par 5), and finally, that the spectators could not really see the action.

The last complaint is real to me and needs to be remedied if they return to Chambers Bay.

The complaints about the greens -- well, I started out saying that was whining; then I looked at Poulter's pic. They look pretty bad.

The complaints about the course are just aesthetics -- some people don't like the browned out look. I do, personally.

The complaints about #18 actually strike me as the most valid other than the complaint about the spectators not being able to see. Golfers have to have an option for hitting the fairway off the tee on a par 4 or par 5. It doesn't have to be EASY to hit the fairway, but it has to be possible with a good shot. Asking guys to tee off with an iron and play into the green with a wood (when it was a par 4) in order to hit the fairway is, as Spieth said, dumb.

That makes sense ... Particularly when spieth made the comment about going up number 1 fairway.

Also, since I wrote that this morning I've heard 2 people comment on the crappy spectator areas. Agree completely. In particular, the U.S. open should be fan friendly.

I've been a USGA member for a long time...I expect any day now for the USGA to contact me asking for my views on Chambers Bay and how to improve the tournament for next year. The USGA after all represents all golfers in the US...or claims to anyway.

Check this link out. It's Poulter's instagram pic of the greens. Wow.

https://instagram.com/p/4Nmq2zpg2V/

LOL, yep. I'm going to try to take a picture of the greens at my cow pasture. I'll see if I can mimic Poulter's angle.

I don't know... a couple homeowner's associations around here would fine member residents if they allowed their yards to get into that condition.

Here's a pic of my course's greens. I often have putts that look like they're going in get knocked off line, or which stop at the edge of the cup. Speed is incredibly important, as is scrambling. They may look better than Chambers Bay, but I suspect it's got something to do with the various grasses being the same color.

Not sure why I couldn't post the image directly here, especially since I uploaded it to the AUFamily gallery.

:dunno:

Here's a pic of my course's greens. I often have putts that look like they're going in get knocked off line, or which stop at the edge of the cup. Speed is incredibly important, as is scrambling. They may look better than Chambers Bay, but I suspect it's got something to do with the various grasses being the same color.

Not sure why I couldn't post the image directly here, especially since I uploaded it to the AUFamily gallery.

on my phone that looks like zoysia or centipede. Impossible to put. May be the image.

on my phone that looks like zoysia or centipede. Impossible to put. May be the image.

They're mostly bermuda.

Archived