US Open

AUbritt

Here's a pic of my course's greens. I often have putts that look like they're going in get knocked off line, or which stop at the edge of the cup. Speed is incredibly important, as is scrambling. They may look better than Chambers Bay, but I suspect it's got something to do with the various grasses being the same color.

Not sure why I couldn't post the image directly here, especially since I uploaded it to the AUFamily gallery.

:dunno:/>

on my phone that looks like zoysia or centipede. Impossible to put. May be the image.

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a pic of my course's greens. I often have putts that look like they're going in get knocked off line, or which stop at the edge of the cup. Speed is incredibly important, as is scrambling. They may look better than Chambers Bay, but I suspect it's got something to do with the various grasses being the same color.

Not sure why I couldn't post the image directly here, especially since I uploaded it to the AUFamily gallery.

on my phone that looks like zoysia or centipede. Impossible to put. May be the image.

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

Bermuda....weeds...what's the diff ?.

Have a nice picture I took today of our greens ...look great, putt smooth....on a course with almost no money, not enough members...BUT plenty of water from creeks and ponds and a greens keeper who is a genius. Guy keeps our course in amazing condition with a meager budget.

Could not figure how to attach it to my message however.

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

Have a nice picture I took today of our greens ...look great, putt smooth....on a course with almost no money, not enough members...BUT plenty of water from creeks and ponds and a greens keeper who is a genius. Guy keeps our course in amazing condition with a meager budget.

I love my course.

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

I love my course.

Where is it located? And what your handicap and don't say the wife?

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

I love my course.

Nice to feel that way....been playing my little 9 hole home course since 1999..never get tired of it...Donald Ross always has a surprise waiting....and what makes my days enjoyable are the guys I play with 3 days per week. Course is 70.6 and 128 slope from standard tees...built in 1916 and no room for black tees....only 6500 yards when stretched out...but lots of sneaky hazards and fairly narrow fairways....Donald Ross greens.

JMO but it's not necessary to build these super luxury golf courses to make the game fun...or challenging.

Donald Ross was one of my favorite course designers. I try to play as many of his courses as I can. What's the name of your course 64 if you don't mind me asking?

Donald Ross was one of my favorite course designers. I try to play as many of his courses as I can. What's the name of your course 64 if you don't mind me asking?

Tryon Country Club....one of several Donald Ross courses in the western NC mountains. A ton of them in the state....I've been fortunate to play several of them included four that were "restored" in the past several years by Kris Spence... http://www.krisspenc...storations.html

Kris does some good work though I expect ole Donald never saw one of his courses in such good shape back in the day....JMO but I think he overdoes the undulating greens but generally he can make a 6600 yard course play pretty damn tough.

Our course had sand greens until sometime in the 1930s and for the most part is pretty authentic since we don't have money to mess with the layout...same old push-up greens, creeks that run diagonal and parallel to most holes....and a few ponds to provide water buffer.

PS...I see he has Saugahatchee on this list....that's where I hit my first golf ball while

in AU grad school.

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

I love my course.

LOL. Candler Park. I started playing golf on my 30th birthday, almost 15 years ago (sigh). I played for 4 years while in grad school at Emory, then moved to Texas to be with my wife. Quit playing golf there for almost 10 years. Got a job back in Atlanta for the past 2 years and went back to Candler Park. I don't know my handicap -- it's not a real course, in that sense. My best score on a 'real' course is 78, and I'd be pretty disappointed not to break 90.

At Candler Park, I've shot 1 over par many times, and my goal is to shoot even par or better before I leave at the end of this month. Two weeks ago, I shot 1 over, with three 3-putt bogeys; and, to paraphrase Billy Horschel, I'm a good putter. I still have 4 weeks to do it!

Tryon Country Club....one of several Donald Ross courses in the western NC mountains. A ton of them in the state....I've been fortunate to play several of them included four that were "restored" in the past several years by Kris Spence... http://www.krisspenc...storations.html

Kris does some good work though I expect ole Donald never saw one of his courses in such good shape back in the day....JMO but I think he overdoes the undulating greens but generally he can make a 6600 yard course play pretty damn tough.

Our course had sand greens until sometime in the 1930s and for the most part is pretty authentic since we don't have money to mess with the layout...same old push-up greens, creeks that run diagonal and parallel to most holes....and a few ponds to provide water buffer.

PS...I see he has Saugahatchee on this list....that's where I hit my first golf ball while

in AU grad school.

Took the online tour of your course, 64. It's beautiful!

in AU grad school.

Took the online tour of your course, 64. It's beautiful!

Thanks....I'm lucky to have it five minutes away...dues are about $125 per month and we are running an initiation fee special of $500 right now. Only about 275 members....don't take tee time bookings and generally no waiting to play. Lots of volunteer labor to keep it nice....but the setting is great.

https://imageshack.com/i/p5Rydi7dj

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

I love my course.

LOL. Candler Park. I started playing golf on my 30th birthday, almost 15 years ago (sigh). I played for 4 years while in grad school at Emory, then moved to Texas to be with my wife. Quit playing golf there for almost 10 years. Got a job back in Atlanta for the past 2 years and went back to Candler Park. I don't know my handicap -- it's not a real course, in that sense. My best score on a 'real' course is 78, and I'd be pretty disappointed not to break 90.

At Candler Park, I've shot 1 over par many times, and my goal is to shoot even par or better before I leave at the end of this month. Two weeks ago, I shot 1 over, with three 3-putt bogeys; and, to paraphrase Billy Horschel, I'm a good putter. I still have 4 weeks to do it!

I played Chandler Park one time in 1987 fun little layout back then. Good executive course to work on your iron play. You score really well for someone picking it up at 30 and breaking 90 or better would put you above the average golfer in the US.

I was transferred three times to Atl. We live in Pearchtree Corners in the 80's, Acworth in the 90's and Buford in 2000's. Played a lot of golf courses there

They're mostly bermuda.

looks like weeds

I love my course.

I played Chandler Park one time in 1987 fun little layout back then. Good executive course to work on your iron play. You score really well for someone picking it up at 30 and breaking 90 or better would put you above the average golfer in the US.

I was transferred three times to Atl. We live in Pearchtree Corners in the 80's, Acworth in the 90's and Buford in 2000's. Played a lot of golf courses there

That's cool that you've played there, golf! The first time I was here, I had a pass to all the city courses and played them all. This time, I went back to Candler Park and stuck with it. There were still several guys around I used to play with, which is cool. That's the best thing about the course -- I must know and play regularly with 30 guys. Oh, and it's walking only, which I love.

Yesterday I shot 3 over again. Had a double-bogey bogey finish.

:slapfh:

hate those bogey and double bogey finishes....snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Archived