2015 Preseason Practice - Scrimmage No. 2

RunInRed

Anybody have a feeling that there is a little sandbagging on Jovon?

Yes. It's a consensus within the program honestly.

Interesting. It is strange that he is really not getting the reps in practice that the others are. Could it be like the Lawson situation? They know what they have, so no need to chance injury?

Since he is a newcomer they want to see as much out of him as possible. They don't wouldn't know how well he has picked up the playbook and how he responds in certain situations by limiting his reps if they were sure he is the guy. They know he is talented, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in a juco with the young talent we have at running back. But as the coaches have consistently said, they have to know they can rely on who is back there. He will get his chances, but they are making sure the two most reliable backs we have right now are ready when we open the season.

Nice response my friend. Many here would do well to model your maturity. WDE.

:rimshot:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. It is strange that he is really not getting the reps in practice that the others are. Could it be like the Lawson situation? They know what they have, so no need to chance injury?

Since he is a newcomer they want to see as much out of him as possible. They don't wouldn't know how well he has picked up the playbook and how he responds in certain situations by limiting his reps if they were sure he is the guy. They know he is talented, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in a juco with the young talent we have at running back. But as the coaches have consistently said, they have to know they can rely on who is back there. He will get his chances, but they are making sure the two most reliable backs we have right now are ready when we open the season.

Nice response my friend. Many here would do well to model your maturity. WDE.

:rimshot:

This article will clear some of it up!

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081615aaa.html

Robinson, Horton said, "probably wasn't performing at the standard that we look for, on and off the field, early. But I'm real pleased how he's done the last three or four days."

Horton says Robinson is catching on.

It couldn't be that Auburn is just stacked at RB? Why is it that hard to believe that we have 4 top RB's on our team... we have had it numerous other times. Last was Ronnie, Cadillac and Jacobs... all 3 went pro and did well...

This Jovon Robinson of which you speak, same one that RIR said broke out of a defensive wall then took it 70 yards in Saturday's scrimmage? Fwiw, Jaleel Laguins may be one of the recruits Gus spent a lot of time with during the scrimmage. 4* long time UGA lean recently raving about Auburn. He commits Wednesday supposedly.

That is my point as well ironman. People are acting disappointed in JR, we have 3 studs... we will need all 3

I, for one, am not disappointed in Robinson. I don't think many are. The fact that he hasn't yet caught up to two absolute studs who have already been in the system shouldn't be disappointing to anybody. As you and others have pointed out, the real take away here should be that Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber are good enough that the #1 juco RB in the country hasn't yet been able to pass them on the depth chart.

I guess I'm overly invested in the subject because I think it's a little insulting to the other guys to have assumed that Robinson was just going to... oh yeah... hit the ground running and... wait for it... run away with the starting gig.

That is my point as well ironman. People are acting disappointed in JR, we have 3 studs... we will need all 3

I, for one, am not disappointed in Robinson. I don't think many are. The fact that he hasn't yet caught up to two absolute studs who have already been in the system shouldn't be disappointing to anybody. As you and others have pointed out, the real take away here should be that Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber are good enough that the #1 juco RB in the country hasn't yet been able to pass them on the depth chart.

I guess I'm overly invested in the subject because I think it's a little insulting to the other guys to have assumed that Robinson was just going to... oh yeah... hit the ground running and... wait for it... run away with the starting gig.

Getting the starting position doesn't really mean much anyway in our system if you're a RB.

Getting the starting position doesn't really mean much anyway in our system if you're a RB.

In terms of touches, it means a lot.

2014- CAP had 303 carries. Nick Marshall had 153. Grant had 60

2013- Tre had 317, Marshall 172, CAP 91, Grant 66

2011- Dyer 242, McCalebb 112

2010- Cam 264, Dyer 182, McCalebb 95

2009- Tate 263, McCalebb 105

2006- Darren McFadden 284, Felix Jones 154

We might use a true committee approach this season, but it would be the first time Gus has done it in the SEC.

In terms of touches, it means a lot.

2014- CAP had 303 carries. Nick Marshall had 153. Grant had 60

2013- Tre had 317, Marshall 172, CAP 91, Grant 66

2011- Dyer 242, McCalebb 112

2010- Cam 264, Dyer 182, McCalebb 95

2009- Tate 263, McCalebb 105

2006- Darren McFadden 284, Felix Jones 154

We might use a true committee approach this season, but it would be the first time Gus has done it in the SEC.

You and your new fangled facts.

My dad would be proud of your puns this past week, Loof.

And you're exactly right. Those who just expected JR to come in and immediately snatch the job away from Roc and Barber must not realize how talented those two are. Their experience in the system can't be undervalued either. I would post more but I've....gotta....run...........

And you're exactly right. Those who just expected JR to come in and immediately snatch the job away from Roc and Barber must not realize how talented those two are. Their experience in the system can't be undervalued either. I would post more but I've....gotta....run...........

I think Gus has shown that he lets the starter win the job on the field against actual competition. What's it usually take...maybe 3 games for him to decide who will be his workhorse?

JMO but I think that's what we will see again this year....so anyone who gets off to a slow start, drops a pass or two, misses a key block, etc. will move toward the back of the line.

I don't think Gus settles on a true starting RB until 3 - 4 games into the season so what is happening today doesn't mean a whole lot. I wouldn't count any one of the 4 out at this point.

I think Gus has shown that he lets the starter win the job on the field against actual competition. What's it usually take...maybe 3 games for him to decide who will be his workhorse?

JMO but I think that's what we will see again this year....so anyone who gets off to a slow start, drops a pass or two, misses a key block, etc. will move toward the back of the line.

I believe you're right on both counts, '64. And that guy who emerges after a few games might still be Jovon. Man, I love it when we have options.

chimes... don't let me drag you down, man. Don't let me drag you down.

I mean did anyone see Cam coming

I certainly did

BINGO!

Didn't see it posted elsewhere, and not sure if worth another thread, so I'll put this here. Ricardo Louis, Rudy Ford and Roc Thomas at KR:

"At kickoff return, Rudy Ford and Ricardo Louis and Roc Thomas those are going to be the three guys," Fountain said Friday. "What we're trying to do is find some other guys that can balance us out that can return the ball as well, but I think we have three good candidates at kickoff return."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/auburn_return_game.html

Didn't see it posted elsewhere, and not sure if worth another thread, so I'll put this here. Ricardo Louis, Rudy Ford and Roc Thomas at KR:

"At kickoff return, Rudy Ford and Ricardo Louis and Roc Thomas those are going to be the three guys," Fountain said Friday. "What we're trying to do is find some other guys that can balance us out that can return the ball as well, but I think we have three good candidates at kickoff return."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/08/auburn_return_game.html

Fingers crossed non of them gets hurt doing that. Not sure about RL there... I think Kerryon would be a great option for us a KR.

Roc is the only one I can see genuinely pulling away from this one. Barber and Jovon are too similar to either give you more than Roc. Dude is one of the more unique backs I've seen (can go up the middle, spin amazingly, top notch speed)

Hopefully Ricardo is a LOT better there than he showed previously...Ford and Thomas hadn't got enough time previously to make real impacts

I'm drawing a blank of what he's done as return man in the past, but on paper, Ricardo Louis would seem to be the perfect return man. He's a burner in a straight line; he's thick enough to break tackles; he's very good with the ball in his hands. Again, on paper, he's ideal. Roc is probably the slightest of all those guys; Ford is probably the toughest to replace (since we really don't know who the third Safety is, much less the fourth).

I'm drawing a blank of what he's done as return man in the past, but on paper, Ricardo Louis would seem to be the perfect return man. He's a burner in a straight line; he's thick enough to break tackles; he's very good with the ball in his hands. Again, on paper, he's ideal. Roc is probably the slightest of all those guys; Ford is probably the toughest to replace (since we really don't know who the third Safety is, much less the fourth).

It's probably better you draw a blank there

It's probably better you draw a blank there

Lol, I wish I could draw a blank but I remember the Moo State game like it was yesterday. In any case, I think Coach Horton made a point that he's got so much depth and talent at the RB position that you have to get those guys involved in special teams to get them on the field. I see that as one thing he's doing with Roc. All those guys will play. Roc most likely cannot run the ball 20 times a game. So a time will come when he will be limited to stay healthy but he'll be on KR to keep him involved.

Perhaps we'll see Kerryon on special teams in some role. He's very talented, but I'm not sure he can crack the starting rotation at RB yet.

So, I'm seeing conflicting reports. How serious was Duke's ankle injury? I've seen everything from he just limped to the sideline and he got retaped, to he was taken off on a cart, to he wasn't injured at all, he's just working his way back up the depth chart.

:dunno:

Archived