2015 Preseason Practice - Scrimmage No. 2

RunInRed

May be just me...but JJ appears a bit off in terms of accuracy today

Missed a number of throws he shouldn't have...who knows if its receivers being in bad spots out of breaks

Barber best RB out there today IMO

I've heard he's been a little high with his passes in camp. Hoping he can calm down a little.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed a number of throws he shouldn't have...who knows if its receivers being in bad spots out of breaks

I've heard he's been a little high with his passes in camp. Hoping he can calm down a little.

Yeah, he can be high in camp but he has to make the throws when it counts

Yeah, he can be high in camp but he has to make the throws when it counts

Agree. Just stated from the sources i have. No concern.

Just seems like a trend with Carl to be honest. I don't have an issue with it. He's fine. It's been stated several times he's ok and they're trying to monitor his reps. IMO we know what we have with Carl so coaches are trying other groupings on the DL. I'm ok with that b/c we need Carl in a major way and he goes hard no matter if it's practice or a game. So we can't afford to have him hurt.

So what exactly are Peyton's strengths at running back? Give me a similarity( who does he run like.)

He runs straight ahead with a lot of power. He reminds me a little bit of William Andrews....Andrews was probably before your time.

So what exactly are Peyton's strengths at running back? Give me a similarity( who does he run like.)

His main strength is his strength. Also hits his top speed very quickly.

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB that can be used on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed.

+1

I hope Duke's ankle it's okay. He can't afford another setback. Same for Carl

. Did Gus mention why he sat?

My guess it Lawson has never been one to go less than 100% in workouts, practice, and certainly in scrimmages.

He has stated that he is doing things to try and limit his reps and I am sure it's no big deal.

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB you can use on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

Nice. Reminds me a lot of CAP then.

I enjoyed the updates Red. It has been a good while since I posted.

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB you can use on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

Yeah he's like a bigger, stronger, faster CAP.

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB that can be used on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

...and hopefully opportunities for play packages that will feature both Peyton and Roc.

I personally think Peyton Barber is harder to tackle than CAP. The biggest difference between Tre Mason and CAP is that Mason could always run through that first tackler up the gut even when it wasn't there and still pick up two to three yards, while CAP typically went down upon first contact at the line of scrimmage when it was plugged up with defensive lineman.

Gus runs that up the gut play a high percentage of times immediately after picking up the 1st down when he's really wanting to implement the HUNH. Heck, we've all seen him run that play back to back times on numerous occasions. And as much as it pains us to watch some times, that play is an obvious staple in this offense for the primary runningback and one specific play in particular that I think Barber will be better at than his predecessor.

And I'm not saying that Peyton Barber right now is better than CAP, who of course is in his first NFL training camp with the Panthers. However, I do believe that before Peyton leaves Auburn, he'll be a better runningback than CAP was when his eligibility was done on the plains.

I think the runningback rotation this season will be similar to when Gus was at Arkansas and had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis, except I truly believe that he'll use all four of our runningbacks extensively. I could be terribly wrong, but I think this will be the first year we don't see one guy as the main stallion. I think we'll still lead the SEC in rushing, but I definitely sense that it will be more by committee considering that all four players are uber talented with each 'back possessing a unique skill set different than the next man up.

Roc: Elusiveness, Shiftiness, Spin Move

Jovon: Power, Short Yardarge, Red Zone

Peyton: Combination back shiftiness/power and great hands

Kerryon: All Purpose Back/Wildcat/Slot Receiver

I personally think Peyton Barber is harder to tackle than CAP. The biggest difference between Tre Mason and CAP is that Mason could always run through that first tackler up the gut even when it wasn't there and still pick up two to three yards, while CAP typically went down upon first contact at the line of scrimmage when it was plugged up with defensive lineman.

Gus runs that up the gut play a high percentage of times immediately after picking up the 1st down when he's really wanting to implement the HUNH. Heck, we've all seen him run that play back to back times on numerous occasions. And much as it pains us to watch some times, that play is an obvious staple in this offense for the primary runningback and one specific play in particular that I think Barber will be better at than his predecessor.

And I'm not saying that Peyton Barber right now is better than CAP, who of course is in his first NFL training camp with the Panthers. However, I do believe that before Peyton leaves Auburn, he'll be a better runningback than CAP was when his eligibility was done on the plains.

I think the runningback rotation this season will be similar to when Gus was at Arkansas and had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis, except I truly believe that he'll use all four of our runningbacks extensively. I could be terribly wrong, but I think this will be the first year we don't see one guy as the main stallion. I think we'll still lead the SEC in rushing, but I definitely sense that it will be more by committee considering that all four players are uber talented with each 'back possessing a unique skill set different than the next man up.

Kerryon Johnson, Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber.

Roc: Elusiveness, Shiftiness, Spin Move

Jovon: Power, Short Yardarge, Red Zone

Peyton: Combination back shiftiness/power and great hands

Kerryon: All Purpose Back/Wildcat/Slot Receiver

Missed your posts, TigerWar.

Yeah he's like a bigger, stronger, faster CAP.

Me likey.

Well, that's the last time RIR gets invited to a scrimmage. Thanks though!

Wanna bet? ;)/>

If you guys don't know, RIR is really Pat Dye.

his hands are too steady for that early in the day

Got to go to scrimmage this am and was gonna give my observations...red already beat me to it with pics! Awesome.

Nothing really to add other than dukes ankle should be fine. Carl is on a very strict reps schedule with us. I think JJs sometimes little high with passes is more on receivers...dcraig was on them pretty good about their breaks and getting leverage on the corners. The exciting thing is seeing us really drive the ball downfield with moderate passes. Also I know I've run it to the ground but seeing these guys we've been working with get back to it and do well (Coleman Kozan etc) still exciting.

Archived