2015 Preseason Practice - Scrimmage No. 2

RunInRed

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what exactly are Peyton's strengths at running back? Give me a similarity( who does he run like.)

He runs straight ahead with a lot of power. He reminds me a little bit of William Andrews....Andrews was probably before your time.

not mine. One of the most underused assets in AU football history. And yes,I know who was there with him. But I was at the UGA game when he went off his senior year.

Got to go to scrimmage this am and was gonna give my observations...red already beat me to it with pics! Awesome.

Nothing really to add other than dukes ankle should be fine. Carl is on a very strict reps schedule with us. I think JJs sometimes little high with passes is more on receivers...dcraig was on them pretty good about their breaks and getting leverage on the corners. The exciting thing is seeing us really drive the ball downfield with moderate passes. Also I know I've run it to the ground but seeing these guys we've been working with get back to it and do well (Coleman Kozan etc) still exciting.

How was the OLine?

Got to go to scrimmage this am and was gonna give my observations...red already beat me to it with pics! Awesome.

Nothing really to add other than dukes ankle should be fine. Carl is on a very strict reps schedule with us. I think JJs sometimes little high with passes is more on receivers...dcraig was on them pretty good about their breaks and getting leverage on the corners. The exciting thing is seeing us really drive the ball downfield with moderate passes. Also I know I've run it to the ground but seeing these guys we've been working with get back to it and do well (Coleman Kozan etc) still exciting.

How was the OLine?

If I had to guess the guys were going at 75%, but I think this group is particularly good at run blocking. Today was pass heavy so I think there's still some work to be done

May be just me...but JJ appears a bit off in terms of accuracy today

Missed a number of throws he shouldn't have...who knows if its receivers being in bad spots out of breaks

Barber best RB out there today IMO

I've heard he's been a little high with his passes in camp. Hoping he can calm down a little.

Yeah, he can be high in camp but he has to make the throws when it counts

I was high at camp once. Best camp ever but my dumb parents wouldn't let me go back the next summer :/

How was the OLine?

If I had to guess the guys were going at 75%, but I think this group is particularly good at run blocking. Today was pass heavy so I think there's still some work to be done

Nice! Thanks for the info Biscuits!

So what exactly are Peyton's strengths at running back? Give me a similarity( who does he run like.)

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB you can use on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

Nice. Reminds me a lot of CAP then.

I personally think Peyton Barber is harder to tackle than CAP. The biggest difference between Tre Mason and CAP is that Mason could always run through that first tackler up the gut even when it wasn't there and still pick up two to three yards, while CAP typically went down upon first contact at the line of scrimmage when it was plugged up with defensive lineman.

Gus runs that up the gut play a high percentage of times immediately after picking up the 1st down when he's really wanting to implement the HUNH. Heck, we've all seen him run that play back to back times on numerous occasions. And as much as it pains us to watch some times, that play is an obvious staple in this offense for the primary runningback and one specific play in particular that I think Barber will be better at than his predecessor.

And I'm not saying that Peyton Barber right now is better than CAP, who of course is in his first NFL training camp with the Panthers. However, I do believe that before Peyton leaves Auburn, he'll be a better runningback than CAP was when his eligibility was done on the plains.

I think the runningback rotation this season will be similar to when Gus was at Arkansas and had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis, except I truly believe that he'll use all four of our runningbacks extensively. I could be terribly wrong, but I think this will be the first year we don't see one guy as the main stallion. I think we'll still lead the SEC in rushing, but I definitely sense that it will be more by committee considering that all four players are uber talented with each 'back possessing a unique skill set different than the next man up.

Roc: Elusiveness, Shiftiness, Spin Move

Jovon: Power, Short Yardarge, Red Zone

Peyton: Combination back shiftiness/power and great hands

Kerryon: All Purpose Back/Wildcat/Slot Receiver

CAP broke plenty of tackles.....so I'm not sure if you're serious?

IMO, Jovon is more of a power back, Roc is more of a shifty back with speed and Peyton is a combination of all those skill sets. He is not as powerful as Jovon but he is shiftier. He is not as shifty as Roc but he is more powerful. When you throw in Peyton's pass catching and pass blocking ability, you have a RB that is a complete back with a nice combination of power, shiftiness and speed. That gives you a RB you can use on a wider spectrum of the playbook than the other 2.

Nice. Reminds me a lot of CAP then.

I personally think Peyton Barber is harder to tackle than CAP. The biggest difference between Tre Mason and CAP is that Mason could always run through that first tackler up the gut even when it wasn't there and still pick up two to three yards, while CAP typically went down upon first contact at the line of scrimmage when it was plugged up with defensive lineman.

Gus runs that up the gut play a high percentage of times immediately after picking up the 1st down when he's really wanting to implement the HUNH. Heck, we've all seen him run that play back to back times on numerous occasions. And as much as it pains us to watch some times, that play is an obvious staple in this offense for the primary runningback and one specific play in particular that I think Barber will be better at than his predecessor.

And I'm not saying that Peyton Barber right now is better than CAP, who of course is in his first NFL training camp with the Panthers. However, I do believe that before Peyton leaves Auburn, he'll be a better runningback than CAP was when his eligibility was done on the plains.

I think the runningback rotation this season will be similar to when Gus was at Arkansas and had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis, except I truly believe that he'll use all four of our runningbacks extensively. I could be terribly wrong, but I think this will be the first year we don't see one guy as the main stallion. I think we'll still lead the SEC in rushing, but I definitely sense that it will be more by committee considering that all four players are uber talented with each 'back possessing a unique skill set different than the next man up.

Roc: Elusiveness, Shiftiness, Spin Move

Jovon: Power, Short Yardarge, Red Zone

Peyton: Combination back shiftiness/power and great hands

Kerryon: All Purpose Back/Wildcat/Slot Receiver

CAP broke plenty of tackles.....so I'm not sure if you're serious?

CAP broke arm tackles but wasn't a put his head down and run over somebody type of back like you'll see in Barber.

It seems strange to me to see people saying that Jovon is a straight power back and Peyton is the shifty one. I've only seen the highlights and clips available publicly, but it seems completely the opposite to me. Jovon may be big, but he has great moves from everything that I have seen, whereas Peyton seems more of a straight ahead power guy. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

Jovon's a good talent but i've always felt it was a bit to quick to give him so much hype to start with. Now he may turn out to be a Heisman finalist and get all types of awards but i've always thought Roc would be our feature back this year. The current RB situation is a good problem to have so if Jovon isn't the number 1 guy i don't see that as him doing something wrong. I see it as two other RBs having more time in the system and able to execute it to a higher level.

Despite what information is coming out of camp i still don't see the RB position being settled until after 2-3 games in which all 3 with get opportunities to showcase who the feature back will be. Gus has said this all along so i don't expect anything different. Roc is just explosive and he's added at least 10lbs from last year.

From what i'm reading and understanding, it sounds like Jovon through practice might be the number one rusher, emphasis on rusher. There's more to being a running back than toting the rock. I get the feeling that Roc's and Barber's experience in the system with blocking schemes and off ball playing are helping them hold the edge in terms of premier playing time right now.

Anybody have a feeling that there is a little sandbagging on Jovon?

I can't see why there would be. Every opponent has got to figure we'll have a top-notch RB in the lineup. It really doesn't matter who at this point, so what would be the purpose of sandbagging? I find it easier to believe that the other two, with more time in the system, have the upper hand right now.

I don't think there's any sandbagging either. But, I don't think its running the ball that is his problem. Gus did say that he was protecting the ball well today. It's possible that fumbles have been an issue, and its also probable that he's just playing catch up with the other two backs as far as understanding the offense. I think we'll see more of the other two early in the season, at least.

Anybody have a feeling that there is a little sandbagging on Jovon?

I can't see why there would be. Every opponent has got to figure we'll have a top-notch RB in the lineup. It really doesn't matter who at this point, so what would be the purpose of sandbagging? I find it easier to believe that the other two, with more time in the system, have the upper hand right now.

Good point.

Archived