JJ

gr82b4au

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say let JJ play the entire LSU game. If the coaching staff had prepared the world and the team (as other teams do every year) that multiple QBs would play and hadn't allowed JJ to be touted as the second coming of Cam, then allowing other QBs some play time could have worked. As it is, taking JJ out is a much bigger deal - it's a vote of no confidence.

So let JJ play the game so everyone knows exactly what AU's got in a QB. Let him play the entire LSU game and give him every opportunity to stand and deliver or fold.

If it all goes pear-shaped, start lopping heads off the coaching staff.

I say let JJ play the entire LSU game. If the coaching staff had prepared the world and the team (as other teams do every year) that multiple QBs would play and hadn't allowed JJ to be touted as the second coming of Cam, then allowing other QBs some play time could have worked. As it is, taking JJ out is a much bigger deal - it's a vote of no confidence.

So let JJ play the game so everyone knows exactly what AU's got in a QB. Let him play the entire LSU game and give him every opportunity to stand and deliver or fold.

Actually we should tell everyone that JJ will play the entire game....and at the last minute send Jason Smith out to play and let him run those QB keepers that UL used to drive us crazy with last week. It always works when someone springs a new, untested QB on us....maybe we can experience the same benefit? :dunno:

Actually we should tell everyone that JJ will play the entire game....and at the last minute send Jason Smith out to play and let him run those QB keepers that UL used to drive us crazy with last week. It always works when someone springs a new, untested QB on us....maybe we can experience the same benefit? :dunno:

Yeah, but I'd vote for Tyler Queen. He's less proven than Smith; he's a better runner than people think; and he definitely won't be throwing any interceptions this week.

;)

Y'all know I'm about as far from a sunshine pumper as one can possibly be, but I'm not ready to give up on the kid just yet. Is he at the tipping point? I believe so. If he has an awful game against LSU I think we can stick a fork in it... But the kid has all the physical tools and that can't be ignored. He can be solid. Will he? Maybe, maybe not... I just think it's too early to completely write him off.

One thing I am willing to write off is Gus and ol' Rhett's ability to properly develop a QB. Absolutely stunning how inept they've proven to be. If JJ rights the ship, I believe it'll be due to sheer willpower and not some sage advice he's getting from those two.

So when the QB screws up, it's all the coaches fault. And when the QB is good the coaches still suck. Hard to play a hand against that. I don't even know whether I disagree with part of your post, but to borrow a phrase from a pointy eared guy, this is illogical.

Y'all know I'm about as far from a sunshine pumper as one can possibly be, but I'm not ready to give up on the kid just yet. Is he at the tipping point? I believe so. If he has an awful game against LSU I think we can stick a fork in it... But the kid has all the physical tools and that can't be ignored. He can be solid. Will he? Maybe, maybe not... I just think it's too early to completely write him off.

One thing I am willing to write off is Gus and ol' Rhett's ability to properly develop a QB. Absolutely stunning how inept they've proven to be. If JJ rights the ship, I believe it'll be due to sheer willpower and not some sage advice he's getting from those two.

So when the QB screws up, it's all the coaches fault. And when the QB is good the coaches still suck. Hard to play a hand against that. I don't even know whether I disagree with part of your post, but to borrow a phrase from a pointy eared guy, this is illogical.

Welcome to the football forum. ;D

I don't understand why they can't play JJ like they did Marshall. Use your running backs, get the defense to play up, and let JJ take shots when the defense isn't expecting it. They don't NEED to play pass heavy. If they did this and let JJ make the easy throws, his confidence will build and in turn he will get more settled.

I don't understand why they can't play JJ like they did Marshall. Use your running backs, get the defense to play up, and let JJ take shots when the defense isn't expecting it. They don't NEED to play pass heavy. If they did this and let JJ make the easy throws, his confidence will build and in turn he will get more settled.

No, no, no, no, no! You're doin' it all wrong! This is the slam JJ, Gus, and ol' Rhett thread!

The O-line is not yet working together well enough to get the forward push needed for a formidable running attack. As it is, the backs are often making yards by sheer will.

Unlike NM, JJ is not a running threat at all.

JJ runs a slow backfield.

JJ's best use will be as a pocket passer and that's where the efforts are being expended.

The O-line is not yet working together well enough to get the forward push needed for a formidable running attack. As it is, the backs are often making yards by sheer will.

JJ's best use will be as a pocket passer and that's where the efforts are being expended.

Since you bring up the offensive line, I had two friends who are well versed in football via experience comment on a specific part of the line play. They both stated while Golson does a good job on his initial block, they said he is not doing a good job getting to the second level. I haven't really paid attention to him specifically, have any of you noticed this?

if we witness another 60 minutes of this level of quarterback play without making a change, then we're in very deep doodoo.

This is what the quarterback situation boils down to. I expect that everyone on Saturday will raise their level of play in terms of intensity, focus, execution and effort. If Jeremy is not one of those people, then it becomes unfair to everyone on the team to leave him, or anyone else like him on the field. Whichever reality manifests itself Saturday night, we are going to know it very, very fast.

Auburn Fast?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Nothing illogical about it. I don't have faith in Gus and Rhett to properly develop a QB. If the QB does well, I believe it is despite the poor coaching. Cam and (to a lesser extent) Nick succeeded due to their amazing athleticism, not their technical skills as a passer.

That's what bothers me. While JJ isn't as good of a runner as NM, he isn't Brandon Cox. I mean the kid has decent speed. For some reason Gus decided around mid season last season that he didn't want to run a true read option anymore. IMO that is when we started look like crap offensively.

That's what bothers me. While JJ isn't as good of a runner as NM, he isn't Brandon Cox. I mean the kid has decent speed. For some reason Gus decided around mid season last season that he didn't want to run a true read option anymore. IMO that is when we started look like crap offensively.

I really think Gus sees pocket passer (as do I) and that's what he's going with. Maybe the RO was first choice, but didn't work out with JJ?

JJ is not a running QB and he's a huge target. He has straight line speed if needed, but no guile. His film says he doesn't like to run; it's even in his body language. Auburn's best hope is that things begin to click for JJ so that the more complex plays can be added back to the offensive playbook. And when things go well, you will see much more passing, not NM-type play.

Just my opinion, of course. Could be totally wrong...

And now for my two cents...JJ has been turrible (Charles Barkley voice). BUT...the mistakes he is making are coachable. He still has the arm talent and ability. Kiehl Frazier, although he was a nice kid, did not have the skill that JJ has. JJ is throwing picks because he locks on the receiver he plans to throw to before the ball is ever snapped, and if we can simply train him to lock on to another target and then throw to the primary route, we will reduce the number of picks he throws big time. Gus's offense is one that makes pre-snap assumptions about where to go with the ball, but JJ is doing nothing to conceal those intentions. I do agree that a high level QB coach is in order. At Auburn, I have not seen any of Gus's QBs develop much after first seeing the field. Cam would be the acceptation, but it has already been adequately expressed that his physical tools allowed him to overcome his deficiencies that lead to sluggish offensive performances early in his Heisman campaign.

Having recovered a bit from the worst win since the 3-2 victory over MSU...if not of all time, I sit here today feeling that we are going to be absolutely fine. We have some great athletes, we have proven coaches, and we have a lot of film to learn what not to do! I hate it that Gus seems to stubbornly figure out how to run his offense the first couple of weeks of the season instead of showing up ready to go, but typically his teams do what he preaches, and that is to get better every week. Didn't happen week 1 - 2, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to show up in Baton Rouge next Saturday looking in mid-season form. Please please please....can we get healthy on D. Monty, Cass, and Rudy can't do it themselves.

Is this something that can be taught in 7 days?

Actually we should tell everyone that JJ will play the entire game....and at the last minute send Jason Smith out to play and let him run those QB keepers that UL used to drive us crazy with last week. It always works when someone springs a new, untested QB on us....maybe we can experience the same benefit? :dunno:/>

Pretty sure UL lost that game if I remember correctly. (and he came in early in the 2cnd quarter)

Even last year against Arkansas, JJ almost always kept his eyes on the receiver he ultimately passed the ball too and didn't check off receivers. I am shocked the coaching staff didn't spend all summer and spring working on that with him. The opponents are really keying off of that this year. Makes it easy to pick off his passes when you can follow his eyes. Not gonna get any better against LSU with the great CBs they have.

Did you see the look on JJ's face after the first interception against JS? He clapped his hands and smiled. This is not what a winner does in this situation. Jonathan Wallace would have played better in both of the first 2 games than JJ hands down. JW may not win any games on his own but the team would not be required to win in spite of the QB play. How many more stupid throws before it is one too many? Hopefully, one. Ah the days when Chris Todd was our QB. Such fond memories of yesteryear.

You know, I just can't believe things have gotten so bad in this city that there's no way back. I mean, sure, the team almost got beat by Jacksonville State, it's crowded, our QB throws better passes to the other team than his own, and there are people who would just as soon step on your face as look at you. But come on! There's gotta be a few sparks of sweet humanity left in this burned-out berg. We just gotta find a way to mobilize it!

And now for my two cents...JJ has been turrible (Charles Barkley voice). BUT...the mistakes he is making are coachable. He still has the arm talent and ability. Kiehl Frazier, although he was a nice kid, did not have the skill that JJ has. JJ is throwing picks because he locks on the receiver he plans to throw to before the ball is ever snapped, and if we can simply train him to lock on to another target and then throw to the primary route, we will reduce the number of picks he throws big time. Gus's offense is one that makes pre-snap assumptions about where to go with the ball, but JJ is doing nothing to conceal those intentions. I do agree that a high level QB coach is in order. At Auburn, I have not seen any of Gus's QBs develop much after first seeing the field. Cam would be the acceptation, but it has already been adequately expressed that his physical tools allowed him to overcome his deficiencies that lead to sluggish offensive performances early in his Heisman campaign.

Having recovered a bit from the worst win since the 3-2 victory over MSU...if not of all time, I sit here today feeling that we are going to be absolutely fine. We have some great athletes, we have proven coaches, and we have a lot of film to learn what not to do! I hate it that Gus seems to stubbornly figure out how to run his offense the first couple of weeks of the season instead of showing up ready to go, but typically his teams do what he preaches, and that is to get better every week. Didn't happen week 1 - 2, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to show up in Baton Rouge next Saturday looking in mid-season form. Please please please....can we get healthy on D. Monty, Cass, and Rudy can't do it themselves.

7 days? mannn they had over 700 days to get that habit out of him

7 days? mannn they had over 700 days to get that habit out of him

Yep.....that's the likely problem....JJ knows what he has been taught over the past two + years.

Coaching is the key though it might be a bit late make many changes in JJ's approach to the game. ......but looks like someone at least needs to try. Otherwise, repetitive practices of bad habits just ingrains them deeper.

Coaching is the key though it might be a bit late make many changes in JJ's approach to the game. ......but looks like someone at least needs to try. Otherwise, repetitive practices of bad habits just ingrains them deeper.

This seems like one of those times where they might just need to get him away from football altogether for 24 hours. Take him fishing or skydiving or to Mr. Miyagi or something. And then some day down the road Peter King will write a piece on him with the typical ascendance>expectations>downfall>redemption narrative, and there will be something about how Mr. Miyagi took him skyfishing and he experienced a spiritual rebirth that manifested itself in a 350/3 through the air and 75/2 on the ground stat line against LSU in Red Stick.

Hey, it's more likely than 2013 was.

Did you see the look on JJ's face after the first interception against JS? He clapped his hands and smiled. This is not what a winner does in this situation. Jonathan Wallace would have played better in both of the first 2 games than JJ hands down. JW may not win any games on his own but the team would not be required to win in spite of the QB play. How many more stupid throws before it is one too many? Hopefully, one. Ah the days when Chris Todd was our QB. Such fond memories of yesteryear.

This is my problem with JJ. I don't like his attitude. There is nothing wrong with confidence, but you have to realize your mistakes and work to correct them. So coaches should have already corrected this problem. Because our opponents have already figured this out and running Cover 2 or having LB in place to make INT.

Archived