JJ

gr82b4au

You folks really make me laugh most professional folks say JJ has all the tools. Also their is nothing wrong with his field vision or watching his receivers, his pass to Barber in the fourth was his fourth man down the progression chart. For those that play golf it's like hitting the tee shot in the rough then trying to hit the greens on your second shot which just digs the hole deeper. He needs to let the past go and move forward. WDE

Not much smart in this post. Having all the tools does not make someone good at their craft. Having all the tools and being able to effectively utilize them are two very different things. And to say that field vision and staring down his receivers aren't two huge issues he's struggling with right now- because of one pass play- is so damn far off from being right. JJ is ABSOLUTELY struggling as evidenced by constantly throwing the football to the other team. He isn't seeing defenders OR wide open checkdowns. He's also shown quite the propensity to stare down his intended target from the snap(this seems to be an issue with QBs in Gus' system). He absolutely does not need to let the past go- he needs to learn from it and better himself.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, Auburn always seems to have a similar problem at the beginning of a season, no matter who the coach is or the QB. I have no idea why, but history proves me right. JJ has thrown balls that we are all scratching our head over. Stan white said that everyone says JJ is fantastic in practice, but that has not transferred to game day. It is in his head. We all have had a similar situations. It is me teeing off in front of a large crowd. Some people just have the ability to focus and block out distractions.

JJ is in a mental rut and it may take a lot to get him out of this mess. I would say start him against LSU, but pull him if he has the same physcological problem quickly. Hopefully he will play good and regain some confidence, which is what he needs. I want desperately form him to succeed.

Let the chanting begin...."in Gus we trust", "in Gus we trust"......

Meanwhile, for the rest of us......, an experienced QB coach might be a good thing for all the outstanding young QB prospects we have signed recently. Theoretically, Loeffler was a QB coach, not an OC but he got the OC job and was not up to the task. Maybe it's time to take another look at the QB schools for some of our guys.

I never cease to be amazed at how folks react. The first sign of trouble and guys start hollering for the backup. I remember a lot of this same talk when JJ was the backup. The time may come for that but it's way too soon.

I never cease to be amazed at how folks react. The first sign of trouble and guys start hollering for the backup. I remember a lot of this same talk when JJ was the backup. The time may come for that but it's way too soon.

I agree. But, I also think we could see it this week if things get worse. I might be wrong though.

Gus may be making the same mistake Chizik made by trying to delegate too much of made him a special coordinator.

Gus historically and ruthlessly shows very little offensive funk early. Religiously. Which makes sense since he's brilliant at matching his O du jour to his personnel du jour - and you don't KNOW your O, it's repoirtoire or what Gus specials fit it (e.g. hunh, jet sweeps and what I personally think will be this season's signature- unheard of passing attempts to the backfield) until they've played on a Saturday or two. Or three. Same applies to his developing gameplan for JJ. Cam wasn't let loose until almost October. His "starting RB" becomes known after a lot of debate. I know there's a thread on Gus "holding back", I'm avoiding that shouting match.

We're on our 5th- and lucky not to be on our 6th- sign of trouble from JJ.

If LSU is going to blitz the heck out of JJ and try to rattle him, there are going to be a lot of safety valve passes wide open. Maybe it would also help JJ to take an inside run one or two early in the game and get a couple hard hits.

You folks really make me laugh most professional folks say JJ has all the tools. Also their is nothing wrong with his field vision or watching his receivers, his pass to Barber in the fourth was his fourth man down the progression chart. For those that play golf it's like hitting the tee shot in the rough then trying to hit the greens on your second shot which just digs the hole deeper. He needs to let the past go and move forward. WDE

I've heard about a fellow in our area that has all the tools needed for fixing any plumbing problems, but he just can't fix the problem with them.

Sorry if 5 interceptions in 2 games is cause for alarm.

So you're just going to give up on him? The time may come but it's not there yet. That's my point. People on here were clamoring to have JJ step in when Nick and the offense were struggling early last year.

So you're just going to give up on him? The time may come but it's not there yet. That's my point. People on here were clamoring to have JJ step in when Nick and the offense were struggling early last year.

I was merely pointing out that we were far beyond the first sign of trouble.

I was not one of the people clamoring for Johnson last year. I have practically mocked the folks who continued to suggest even up until kickoff of this season. And I was one of those who urged folks to pump the breaks on their outrageously optimistic interpretations of his experience level. But even I couldn't have imagined he'd be this bad. I mean, it's really, really bad. Can he get better? Maybe. But if we witness another 60 minutes of this level of quarterback play without making a change, then we're in very deep doodoo.

I don't agree with those calling for a QB change right now, but I can't call them stupid for thinking it, either.

I'm not hollering for the backup. I'm hollering for our coaches to do their freaking job and get the entire team prepared for Saturday.

Get JJ in sitiuations against the first team D where he has to make reads and adjust accordingly. Put some pressure on him in practice and teach him how to react to that pressure. Throw some blitz packages at him and see how he disects the defensive scheme. Somebody dropped the ball in the pre-season with this kid, he looks lost on the field.

JJ has got the talent. Maybe best arm since I don't even know. He made a few throws Saturday that if you saw in person would prove his worth. It's just mental at this point and that can change on a dime. Keep your powder dry. You dang sure can't make a change this early right before your toughest road game. He hasn't lost a game yet. Can we at least hold off on the dump talk til he looses a game.

I'm not hollering for the backup. I'm hollering for our coaches to do their freaking job and get the entire team prepared for Saturday.

Get JJ in sitiuations against the first team D where he has to make reads and adjust accordingly. Put some pressure on him in practice and teach him how to react to that pressure. Throw some blitz packages at him and see how he disects the defensive scheme. Somebody dropped the ball in the pre-season with this kid, he looks lost on the field.

Thats what I do not understand, what in the world were they doing/seeing in preseason practice? Did they not see the issues? Was he able to read coverages in practice but can't translate it to the field? I agree with you our coaches need to start earning the pay and win or lose I hope we see a better overall product on Saturday.

Thats what I do not understand, what in the world were they doing/seeing in preseason practice? Did they not see the issues? Was he able to read coverages in practice but can't translate it to the field? I agree with you our coaches need to start earning the pay and win or lose I hope we see a better overall product on Saturday.

If and that's a big "if" the coaches didn't see the problems before the season started, then they damn sure saw if after he UL game. I don't know much about Lashlee, but Coach Craig knows how to train a QB. I can't imagine Gus wouldn't use Craig's experience and expertise in situations like this.

Like I said, someone dropped the ball on QB preparation in the pre-season. This kid has been in this offense 2 years, he should know it like the back of his hand. He's been taking snaps as a backup for 2 yrs, he should know the schemes and be able to make the reads by now. It's not like the oline has him running or his life, he's had protection and time to execute the plays that are called. Have we still got communication problems with the sideline? Is JJ allowed to change the play at the LOS if he thinks it's necessary?

The coaches better get White ready.

The same coaches that got JJ ready? :-\

While I have been as critical as anyone on JJ, I have come to believe this is more of a coaching problem than an individual problem.

^^This^^

The coaches better get White ready.

The same coaches that got JJ ready? :-\

While I have been as critical as anyone on JJ, I have come to believe this is more of a coaching problem than an individual problem.

if we witness another 60 minutes of this level of quarterback play without making a change, then we're in very deep doodoo.

This is what the quarterback situation boils down to. I expect that everyone on Saturday will raise their level of play in terms of intensity, focus, execution and effort. If Jeremy is not one of those people, then it becomes unfair to everyone on the team to leave him, or anyone else like him on the field. Whichever reality manifests itself Saturday night, we are going to know it very, very fast.

There is a lot of difference in making a "change" and making a substitution. There were a number of opportunities to make a substitution. If Sean performed well leave him in; if not take him out. It is not like we have been scoring on every series.

There is a lot of difference in making a "change" and making a substitution. There were a number of opportunities to make a substitution. If Sean performed well leave him in; if not take him out. It is not like we have been scoring on every series.

You are really having a hard time letting it go that Gus never took Jeremy out. Moving forward, its much more likely that such a change will be made if his poor play persists. However, I don't think you'll see any back and forth. If Gus is going to take Johnson out, its going to be a permanent decision more than likely. There's never been a controversy as to who would be the starting quarterback for this team. There's never been any indication that Sean White was going to be our starter, or was ever really in contention to start. I think the coaches are right to maintain a united front as long as we can before making a clear, and definitive change if necessary. You don't go throwing a quarterback controversy into the mix of things the week before SEC play begins in Death Valley, at night, against LSU.

You are really having a hard time letting it go that Gus never took Jeremy out. Moving forward, its much more likely that such a change will be made if his poor play persists. However, I don't think you'll see any back and forth. If Gus is going to take Johnson out, its going to be a permanent decision more than likely. There's never been a controversy as to who would be the starting quarterback for this team. There's never been any indication that Sean White was going to be our starter, or was ever really in contention to start. I think the coaches are right to maintain a united front as long as we can before making a clear, and definitive change if necessary. You don't go throwing a quarterback controversy into the mix of things the week before SEC play begins in Death Valley, at night, against LSU.

The game is at 2:30. Changes everything, huh? Lol

The game is at 2:30. Changes everything, huh? Lol

I think you got my point

Archived