2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

With the way Sean has been performing, I can't see the coaches getting serious about a JuCo QB. As has been stated many times in the past, you don't recruit a JuCo QB for them to ride the bench. If they are good enough to make a difference, they come because they know they are going to get to play. I can see AU going for a pair of solid high school QBs, to shore up depth with Queen's injury and JJs issues, but I think Sean will be too far along, by the end of the season, to even consider replacing him.

Did you also think we were in good hands with Barrett Trotter before the 2010 season when Cam was out there? Seriously though, with our situation at QB and if you want to win Championships now, we need a game changer at QB, and Jerod Evans looks special. Offer him and see what he can do in this offense. SW has heart and determination, but is limited athletically. I would say a little better than Barrett Trotter. But, I think the staff is highly interested in Jerod Evans, and it's not for him to ride the bench next year if he comes here...

Seriously? You're going to compare Sean to Trotter? Oh, wait, I forgot that you were the one of the delusional ones who think we can't win without a Dual-Threat QB and are blind to what Sean has done on the field as a Red Shirt Freshman with only 3 starts under his belt. No point in arguing with someone who has already made a decision despite any evidence to the contrary.

Yep. No point in discussing facts with people who are set on certain QBs. I'll take the QBs that have won us championships in the past 5 years, ahem Cam and Nick, and you can take your serviceable QBs. Again, if SW was the man for the next three years, why look at juco QBs in the first place? Again, I'll take the dual-threat QBs who have won us championships, you take your game-managers....

I think anyone would take another Cam if there was one... but there isn't, and if there is, there's a great chance he didn't end up in JuCo. He would more likely be developed in a program that is willing to play a guy for 3-4 years.

As for Nick. He didn't take us to a National Championship, Greg Robinson and Tre Mason did. How could that be, you say? Look at our numbers between 2013 and 2014. See the extra 1200 yards rushing we had... the difference... no Robinson or Mason. Nick was there both seasons. Robinson gets most of the credit because both Nick and Grant had over 300 more yards a piece in 2013 than they did in 2014. That's the value of better line play. Nick was a game manager with solid feet and a serviceable arm. (Jeff's "elusive game manager")

As for White being a game changer... he's started THREE GAMES in college.... THREE. Cam wasn't a game changer at Auburn until his fourth game, and he had won a JoCo National Championship. If you were the coach when Cam was here, you would have started looking for his replacement before he had a chance to show what he could really do.

I would add Jay Prosch who had a lot to do with Nicks success in 2013. He's doing quite well in pro football I understand.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a JUCO is signed he will be given every opportunity to win the job. JJ would be gone for sure. Maybe SW as well especially if Queen is back. As for Bentley I don't see him in orange and blue (hope I'm very wrong of course). There is a lot of talk of him being ranked the No. 1 overall QB in th 2017 class. He will be the face of somebody's class.

Also, reading comprehension should be a requirement for some of you. I said SW was a little better than Barrett Trotter. I didn't say SW was worse or even to Barrett Trotter. And yes, I watch SW, he's a serviceable QB, nothing wrong with that, but he's not a game-changer, but I guess I am blind to that as well...

Just remember he is a redshirt freshman. The ceiling for SW is huge and by the time he leaves AU he will own many passing records. He's the smartest QB we have had at AU in many years. Understands the total offense and does not get you beat with turnovers.

Man where do you guys get this stuff?

Also, reading comprehension should be a requirement for some of you. I said SW was a little better than Barrett Trotter. I didn't say SW was worse or even to Barrett Trotter. And yes, I watch SW, he's a serviceable QB, nothing wrong with that, but he's not a game-changer, but I guess I am blind to that as well...
Just remember he is a redshirt freshman. The ceiling for SW is huge and by the time he leaves AU he will own many passing records. He's the smartest QB we have had at AU in many years. Understands the total offense and does not get you beat with turnovers.

Yea, don't even know how to respond to that. Look, people who love SW see what they want to see. We'll agree to disagree. I believe Auburn's offense needs a DT QB to win Championships, with actual evidence supporting my statement. 90% of Auburn fans here believe that all Gus needs is a SW-type of QB, and we'll get the same results. Basically, you are HOPING SW can emulate what NM and Cam produced, championship teams. We'll see. I'll be ecstatic if SW could do that, however, although only 3 games, there's nothing exciting about him or anything that jumps out at me and says wow, he could be special. You saw that in Cam and NM. Anyways, getting back to topic, there's becoming real mutual interest between Jerod Evans and the coaching staff...

As it stands now, we will have:

Woody Barrett 225 FR Tyler Queen 229 SO Sean White 200 JR Jeremy Johnson 230

SR

And JJ And Tyler are major question marks although I would feel pretty good if JJ stuck around and either gets his head together or his degree. So in reality, we have one decent QB and a true FR if Woody sticks. The more the better as long as they are quality players and teammates.

If Evans take an official visit to AU I think he get's an AU offer. And I think AU will get Bentley.

Are we deliberately trying to scare off Narcisse?

No. AU has just one QB now and has to sure up the position. And these kids see what can happen. LSU has not given up on Narcisse but Narcisse is close to the AU staff and will most likely be the only QB taken in 2017.

But you just said that you think we will get Bentley. And I was more so talking about us raiding the Juco colleges for QBs rather than sticking with our high school players.

I don't know if AU is going to offer Evans but I do think AU will land Bentley. IF Evans is brought in for an official then I think he will get an offer. And if AU does bring Evans in for an official it will be late January. Didn't mean to be confusing.

Can't remember if Evans is an EE or not but I think he is. If so his OV if he gets it would then likely be before January.

If Evans take an official visit to AU I think he get's an AU offer. And I think AU will get Bentley.

Are we deliberately trying to scare off Narcisse?

No. AU has just one QB now and has to sure up the position. And these kids see what can happen. LSU has not given up on Narcisse but Narcisse is close to the AU staff and will most likely be the only QB taken in 2017.

Plus taking a juco in a current class rarely effects a high school kid in the next class, even at QB. Freshman QBs rarely start. When Lowell gets here any juco QB would likely have 1 year remaining and not be around when his RS Freshman year is over.

The staff has to get the players it feels gives them the best chance to win on a yearly basis. If they find a juco QB they feel is a substantial upgrade to Sean and JJ for 2016 they very well may try to get him.

We need to look at Juco's because with Queens injury, JJ's play this year we may be thin at QB. Judging SW on 1st 3 games is not the reason to look for a JUCO. CAM's 1st three games didn't set the world on fire and it also took NM a while to show us how good he was. SW may turn out to be a game manager or he may continue to get better from me to game and really impress everybody. I think it will be the latter but that is an opinion not fact

The staff has to get the players it feels gives them the best chance to win on a yearly basis.

The staff has to get the players it feels gives them the best chance to win on a yearly basis.

Good to hear from you, e. Hope all is well.

Yea, don't even know how to respond to that. Look, people who love SW see what they want to see. We'll agree to disagree. I believe Auburn's offense needs a DT QB to win Championships, with actual evidence supporting my statement. 90% of Auburn fans here believe that all Gus needs is a SW-type of QB, and we'll get the same results. Basically, you are HOPING SW can emulate what NM and Cam produced, championship teams. We'll see. I'll be ecstatic if SW could do that, however, although only 3 games, there's nothing exciting about him or anything that jumps out at me and says wow, he could be special. You saw that in Cam and NM. Anyways, getting back to topic, there's becoming real mutual interest between Jerod Evans and the coaching staff...

Exactly. DT QB takes this offense to the next level. IMO our next year's QB is not on campus right now. But that's just me. Some people may wonder why they would sign a SW or TQ to begin with. Good question. I am not saying they were last minute takes but you have to take a QB every year, sometimes two.

Exactly. DT QB takes this offense to the next level. IMO our next year's QB is not on campus right now. But that's just me. Some people may wonder why they would sign a SW or TQ to begin with. Good question. I am not saying they were last minute takes but you have to take a QB every year, sometimes two.

I'm not sure what you consider next level but pocket passers can be just as lethal if they are accurate. Just because we haven't seen the offense explode yet that doesn't mean it can't happen. And I doubt some former Air Force signee is going to be our hero.

If a JUCO is signed he will be given every opportunity to win the job. JJ would be gone for sure. Maybe SW as well especially if Queen is back. As for Bentley I don't see him in orange and blue (hope I'm very wrong of course). There is a lot of talk of him being ranked the No. 1 overall QB in th 2017 class. He will be the face of somebody's class.

Not so quick autan. We still have a very good shot at Bentley. let me make that a great shot for him.

Some people may wonder why they would sign a SW or TQ to begin with. Good question.

That's a ridiculous question.

Why is that if we have to go sign a DT juco QB this coming year?

Some people may wonder why they would sign a SW or TQ to begin with. Good question.

Tiger, are you on crack? You don't know why we signed the guy who won the Elite 11 and has enormous potential. Frankly, the opinions thatAuburn can't be any good without a DT QB are preposterous. Someone else made the comment that SW won't even be on our team next year....even more ridiculous.

Just repeating what Tom Luginbill of ESPN said on the radio 2 weeks ago. He is high on Sean and thinks he can become a tremendous QB because of his intelligence, accuracy and arm strength. And he said he will not get you beat by turning the ball over.

Just repeating what Tom Luginbill of ESPN said on the radio 2 weeks ago. He is high on Sean and thinks he can become a tremendous QB because of his intelligence, accuracy and arm strength.

Tinman, I agree about his potential, but its a bit early to say that he will own many passing records when he has only played two collegiate games. Maybe pause that thought until the end of the season.

Some people may wonder why they would sign a SW or TQ to begin with. Good question. I am not saying they were last minute takes but you have to take a QB every year, sometimes two.

Whoa... Seriously? Both Sean and Tyler were offered early and were long term commits. Neither one was a "well we need a QB" take.

I swear, some of you need to do some heavy reading on logic. The claims that are being made about the need for a dual-threat QB don't hold water. Yes, this offense has been successful with a dual-threat QB, but that in no way means it can't be with a pocket passer. No, the 2 years it had a pocket passer, the team didn't go to the national championship (Which, by the way, is a ridiculous measuring point... There are way too many factors that go into getting to the championship. Winning 10 games is a reasonable measuring stick, considering all other factors.). That had everything to do with overall talent and time in the system and nothing to do with style of QB. If, at some point, we have a top level pocket passer behind center and end up 8-4 or worse, then you can logically make the claim that we need a dual-threat QB, but otherwise, you are hanging your argument on one year with a once in a lifetime talent behind center and another year with an amazing O-Line, excellent running back, and A LOT of luck. On the other side, you have a decent QB with a gimpy arm and a 3-star QB forced into service because the once in a lifetime talent left early. Any impartial arbitrator would kick your argument to the curb.

Oh yea... and then there's this whole "we're going to sign a juco DT QB this year" thing. None of you are in recruiting meetings or have any idea what the coaches are going to do. All we know is that we are going to sign Woody, because he's committed. The rest of this just sprung out of fans freaking out over Jeremy. Claim you "know people" all you want, but until an offer is made, NO ONE outside of the program knows for sure what will happen.

Because we currently might have only one serviceable quarterback on the roster (he's one of the guys you think it's worth wondering if we ever should have signed to begin with).

The success rate at QB is very low for every school. You need a minimum of 3 good prospects, and should shoot for 4. We started the season with 3 + 2 WRs who could move over in an emergency.

-Our can't-miss QB1 was a huge miss, unless he has a big turnaround. I think that's entirely possible, but would I bet my kid's college fund on it? Shoot, I wouldn't even bet you a round of drinks on it.

-Our QB2- who you think it's worth wondering why we ever signed- is doing very well, to include having just beaten an SEC team with a pulse on the road on a Thursday night in his 3rd-ever game despite being surrounded by other inexperienced guys and leading an offense that still hasn't figured itself out.

-Our QB3 was a stud in high school who had an unforeseen medical situation take him out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

That means we might have a gaping hole that we can't count upon any true freshman to fill. We might need a more experienced guy who has been successful at a higher level of competition than high school. The only way to get that is mentioned in the title of this thread. And if he is better than Sean White? Awesome. We should absolutely get the best guy we can at the most important position on the field, as long as we're not compromising the integrity of the program (quaint and nostalgic, I know, but it feels better to say it). Would our coaches say, "We don't need Cam Newton, we have Aaron Murray?" I sure hope not. I doubt a Cam is out there, but we need depth.

And I hope nobody is still operating on this "if you get a juco guy, you have to play him" fallacy. Not sure where this notion arose that we have to make special arrangements for those guys. Um, we have 80 other kids on the roster who took care of business the first time and who have been putting in the work all along.

As noted earlier....Cam and Nick were known quantities before they went to JUCO to clean up their act after some legal problems.

All we hear about Evans is what he has done at a "nobody ever heard of it " JC.....so again...why was he there and what about his previous history leads anyone to believe that he could play in the SEC?

As noted earlier....Cam and Nick were known quantities before they went to JUCO to clean up their act after some legal problems.

All we hear about Evans is what he has done at a "nobody ever heard of it " JC.....so again...why was he there and what about his previous history leads anyone to believe that he could play in the SEC?

You could almost say that about Cam and Nick. Cam had really not played at FL and Nick was a DB at GA. So outside of their history at JC nothing indicated they would be successful SEC QB's.

What I want is to have 5* golden arm HS QBs, stacked up on the roster, all developed from within, all ready for the bright lights, one ready to step up after another one leaves. But what I want and what is possible are two different things.

So when it comes to QBs:

1. We should all be from the state of Missouri- show me.

2. We must have a decent starting QB every year, it is imperative.

3. We can never have enough 'good' QBs working through the system.

4. It doesn't matter where we get one. Whether it's from HS, from JUCO, a grad transfer, a walkon or making lemonades at Toomer's, just get him.

5. QBs are too important to the success of the entire team, on both sides of the ball, to commit to only one way of finding decent starters. The risk to the downside is just too great if we don't have one in any given year.

Because we currently might have only one serviceable quarterback on the roster (he's one of the guys you think it's worth wondering if we ever should have signed to begin with).

The success rate at QB is very low for every school. You need a minimum of 3 good prospects, and should shoot for 4. We started the season with 3 + 2 WRs who could move over in an emergency.

-Our can't-miss QB1 was a huge miss, unless he has a big turnaround. I think that's entirely possible, but would I bet my kid's college fund on it? Shoot, I wouldn't even bet you a round of drinks on it.

-Our QB2- who you think it's worth wondering why we ever signed- is doing very well, to include having just beaten an SEC team with a pulse on the road on a Thursday night in his 3rd-ever game despite being surrounded by other inexperienced guys and leading an offense that still hasn't figured itself out.

-Our QB3 was a stud in high school who had an unforeseen medical situation take him out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

That means we might have a gaping hole that we can't count upon any true freshman to fill. We might need a more experienced guy who has been successful at a higher level of competition than high school. The only way to get that is mentioned in the title of this thread. And if he is better than Sean White? Awesome. We should absolutely get the best guy we can at the most important position on the field, as long as we're not compromising the integrity of the program (quaint and nostalgic, I know, but it feels better to say it). Would our coaches say, "We don't need Cam Newton, we have Aaron Murray?" I sure hope not. I doubt a Cam is out there, but we need depth.

And I hope nobody is still operating on this "if you get a juco guy, you have to play him" fallacy. Not sure where this notion arose that we have to make special arrangements for those guys. Um, we have 80 other kids on the roster who took care of business the first time and who have been putting in the work all along.

Mcloofus could not have put it any clearer or any better

Archived