2016 JUCO QB recruiting

WarEagleAU

Good Lord. A good staff would have had a plan for White had Johnson gone down with an injury or looked like he has. Both are TOTALLY different QB's with TOTALLY different skill sets. AU did not have a plan in place for White. No way to sugar coat this.

And to bring up Alabama in this conversation is well stupid. Kiffin has shown he can adapt to his QB's. Had a DT QB last year in Sim's and coached to his talents. Played more of a wide open offense. Now has a pro style QB in Coker and is coaching Coker to his talents. More power running to set up some short to moderate passing to get the D from stacking the box. Come on people.

Thank you.

And everyone keeps bring up JUCO QB's. If Gus has to get one this year KISS getting a top flight high school QB including the one's AU has committed. The rest of the coaches in the nation will eat his lunch in QB recruiting as in not being able to develop one.

I think they are probably talking about JUCO QBs because, well, that's the title of the thread. Look, Gus either has a starting QB on the roster that can handle the job or he doesn't. If he doesn't (SW has had a decent audition but as of right now the jury is still out) he better get one, unless you are willing to kiss off next season instead of kissing off some HS QB. No true Freshman HS QB, one that would be a RFr. when the JUCO is a Sr., is going to take care of next year for AU.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever think that maybe JJ's problems are more on JJ than they are Gus? Serious question.

Then why did we go into this season with literally zero second options? They don't even let White throw the ball. If they failed to see that JJ sucked this badly, then that is just as bad if not worse. An offensive head coach should be able to discern what he has at QB, and please don't try and suggest that his one half against Arkansas last season must have been enough to convince them that he was legit. That is absurd.

I watched Jeremy in HS. He was a Montgomery kid and he tore it up. We've seen limited playing time with him at Auburn before this season, including a season-opening start against an SEC opponent. He looked great. I've talked to numerous people who've watched him in practice not only last year but in the spring and fall leading up to this year. Almost universal praise. There was no indication that there would be any serious issues with Jeremy. You simply cannot always predict how a kid will react when the lights come on and he is "The Man." You seem to think that an offensive coach much be an infallible clairvoyant who can sense things undetectable to the naked eye. I think sometimes kids just don't pan out and they don't give you any warning. Alabama has 4 or 5 top rated QBs on their roster and until Saturday, they still weren't sure they had one that could get the job done. Coker has been a disappointment for over a year and none of the backups could make a move. Bateman was a complete disaster in his first start. Jeff Driskel was wanted by everyone and was a total flop. This stuff happens.

I think the staff had full confidence that the Jeremy they'd seen for two years was the guy that would be the starter this fall. Meanwhile Sean would get a year or two to learn, get bigger and stronger and we'd keep recruiting QBs so that in two years when JJ moved on, we'd have a guy that was clearly the heir apparent. Jeremy's meltdown was immediate and Sean is now being pressed into service faster than we wanted and Queen is injured. As far as another back up plan, was there some hot shot JUCO out there willing to come and expect to be a backup that I'm unaware of.

I just think your expectations for what people should be able to predict is a bit unrealistic.

Good Lord. A good staff would have had a plan for White had Johnson gone down with an injury or looked like he has. Both are TOTALLY different QB's with TOTALLY different skill sets. AU did not have a plan in place for White. No way to sugar coat this.

Good Lord. The staff does have a plan, but you can only have so much of a plan for a RS Fr. who's never played a college down and weighs 198 soaking wet. You're going to have to acclimate him. You don't want to make the mistake of putting too much on him and ruining his confidence as well.

You seem to think that "having a plan" means that Sean White should come in and look like a revelation. What he looks like instead is a young QB with no experience, that isn't scared of the moment but has limitations. He's driven us up and down the field in two straight games by making solid plays and minimizing mistakes, but feel victim to one bad play by him and several miscues by those around him (untimely penalties, snap over the head, whiffs on blocks) in the red zone. What more exactly were you expecting from this incredible "plan?"

And to bring up Alabama in this conversation is well stupid. Kiffin has shown he can adapt to his QB's. Had a DT QB last year in Sim's and coached to his talents. Played more of a wide open offense. Now has a pro style QB in Coker and is coaching Coker to his talents. More power running to set up some short to moderate passing to get the D from stacking the box. Come on people.

He did well with Sims last year, but it didn't hurt that he had one of the best WRs to come through college in recent years. But Coker was supposed to be the man last season and was terrible. He was terrible early on, then merely competent and finally good in Game 4. And no one knows if that is just a one game thing or if Coker has really gotten over the hump of making dumb reads and reacting late. They have about 5 QBs on roster who are 4 or 5 stars and still didn't know who their clear cut starter was until about now. That's how little any of them distinguished themselves in the spring and fall workouts.

Ever think that maybe JJ's problems are more on JJ than they are Gus? Serious question.

Then why did we go into this season with literally zero second options? They don't even let White throw the ball. If they failed to see that JJ sucked this badly, then that is just as bad if not worse. An offensive head coach should be able to discern what he has at QB, and please don't try and suggest that his one half against Arkansas last season must have been enough to convince them that he was legit. That is absurd.

I watched Jeremy in HS. He was a Montgomery kid and he tore it up. We've seen limited playing time with him at Auburn before this season, including a season-opening start against an SEC opponent. He looked great. I've talked to numerous people who've watched him in practice not only last year but in the spring and fall leading up to this year. Almost universal praise. There was no indication that there would be any serious issues with Jeremy. You simply cannot always predict how a kid will react when the lights come on and he is "The Man." You seem to think that an offensive coach much be an infallible clairvoyant who can sense things undetectable to the naked eye. I think sometimes kids just don't pan out and they don't give you any warning. Alabama has 4 or 5 top rated QBs on their roster and until Saturday, they still weren't sure they had one that could get the job done. Coker has been a disappointment for over a year and none of the backups could make a move. Bateman was a complete disaster in his first start. Jeff Driskel was wanted by everyone and was a total flop. This stuff happens.

I think the staff had full confidence that the Jeremy they'd seen for two years was the guy that would be the starter this fall. Meanwhile Sean would get a year or two to learn, get bigger and stronger and we'd keep recruiting QBs so that in two years when JJ moved on, we'd have a guy that was clearly the heir apparent. Jeremy's meltdown was immediate and Sean is now being pressed into service faster than we wanted and Queen is injured. As far as another back up plan, was there some hot shot JUCO out there willing to come and expect to be a backup that I'm unaware of.

I just think your expectations for what people should be able to predict is a bit unrealistic.

"Now has a pro style QB in Coker and is coaching Coker to his talents. More power running to set up some short to moderate passing to get the D from stacking the box."

Which is, unless I'm mistaken, what we're trying to do with Sean. We just don't run more than four different plays, attempt more than 10 passes, apparently have lazy receivers, and poor offensive line play. Sound right?

Do you people even watch the games? Some of you are like blind sheep following a Shepard. White is running the same offense that Johnson was running. White should never be trying to run the zone read to set up anything and that was the plan for AU this year with Johnson. White should be running an AU offense like Chris Todd did.

i recall we did run zone reads with Chris Todd ... Because I was frustrated that Chris todd was never going to be a threat to run with the ball ... Until the iron bowl. I have not looked at the stats (so I could be embarrassing myself - as I don't have that much time) but Todd ran a handful of times against bama on the "zone read" and gained reapectable yardage. Now by no means was he a runner. My point is, the offense was not THAT much different ... Except for the one play I hope to never see again ... The wrap around draw.

WDEWDE bringing the pain on a bunch of threads today.

I'm pretty sure staffs don't go into fall camp thinking they have to prepare 2 different offenses in the event a QB goes down.

WDEWDE bringing the pain on a bunch of threads today.

Has been for a few weeks.

I used to actually look forward to reading whatever he posted. Now I cringe, because it seems like it's always bad news. Maybe the ratio of good to bad is the same and the bad just has more sting.

WDE!

Didn't mean to disrespect anyone here yesterday. If I did I'm sorry. Just frustrated with AU.

We should be frustrated with AU.

Didn't mean to disrespect anyone here yesterday. If I did I'm sorry. Just frustrated with AU.

Thought it might of been a hangover Monday.

We should be frustrated with AU.

I've followed AU football since 1957. With few exceptions I've been frustrated for almost 60 years. As a good friend said after the MSU game..."It's just Auburn being Auburn".

You're good, man. We're all there.

I think pretty much everyone had rather have the truth, even if it's bad. We're all reasonably intelligent and mature. The only reason I mentioned the negativity is I'm holding onto the blind hope your informed opinions are somehow inaccurate.

This isn't a criticism, just an observation.

WDE!

Don't be surprised if Jerod Evans signs with us, would be a HUGE get...

Have you've heard something about this?

Yea, coaches have been warming up on him for the past few weeks. Hearing that the coaches are not sold on any of the QBs we have right now. Personally, the guy looks amazing right now, and his stats are video game-esque.

Don't be surprised if Jerod Evans signs with us, would be a HUGE get...

Have you've heard something about this?

Yea, coaches have been warming up on him for the past few weeks. Hearing that the coaches are not sold on any of the QBs we have right now. Personally, the guy looks amazing right now, and his stats are video game-esque.

I've been keeping up with him some. Has ridiculous numbers.

As cole would say not hating on Jerod but the competition he is facing is terrible. I do think he is the best QB in JUCO

It's almost painful watching the way he throws a football. Doesn't seem to matter for him right now, but would be interesting to see how it translates to the next level.

If Evans take an official visit to AU I think he get's an AU offer. And I think AU will get Bentley.

Are we deliberately trying to scare off Narcisse?

If Evans take an official visit to AU I think he get's an AU offer. And I think AU will get Bentley.

Are we deliberately trying to scare off Narcisse?

No. AU has just one QB now and has to sure up the position. And these kids see what can happen. LSU has not given up on Narcisse but Narcisse is close to the AU staff and will most likely be the only QB taken in 2017.

Archived