Run Defense

amsterjam

I just read that we rank dead last among Power 5 Conference teams and 123rd out of 127 FBS teams in run defense. I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was that bad.

It's 3 games in and we just gave up like 400 yards. Hopefully the averages work out as the weeks go on.

Louisville rushed for 238 yards against us and in their last 2 games combined have rushed for under 100 yards of offense. Clemson held Louisville to 19 yards rushing. Our rush defense is pretty bad. Possibly epically bad by the time Chubb, Henry, etc. get done with us.

The defense is much improved from last year. Much more than we can see. Lawson being out is a big miss. The heat at LSU was serious. The offense was no factor except for occassionally and this keeps your defense of the field. The entire problem is with the coaching staff. I hope somebody offers RL a head coaching slot. Could you get behind him moving to bama or UGA or LSU as the new head coach? I would throw a party.

The defense is much improved from last year. Much more than we can see. Lawson being out is a big miss. The heat at LSU was serious. The offense was no factor except for occassionally and this keeps your defense of the field. The entire problem is with the coaching staff. I hope somebody offers RL a head coaching slot. Could you get behind him moving to bama or UGA or LSU as the new head coach? I would throw a party.

So many laughable quotes in this post

Yeah I can't get on board when people say things like it was too hot, it was raining, or the game started too early. Both teams play on the same field at the same time of day.

114.gif

They need to find an ID this week. Something, someone somewhere needs to step up and play better than average. A spark on the field will make all the difference in the world.

They need to find an ID this week. Something, someone somewhere needs to step up and play better than average. A spark on the field will make all the difference in the world.

yeah, you are correct but sadly, judging by what I have seen so far, this team does not have the gonads to do that

Face it, we just don't have the players. Ellis Johnson was a very experienced coordinator who was good everywhere else and Muschamp is one of the best in the business. Neither one could come up with a plan to stop the bleeding. Sure, losing Lawson was a huge hit but if we are that dependent on one player that doesn't say a whole lot about the overall quality of what we have. The front got pushed around Saturday and couldn't get any penetration. Heck they couldn't even handle Jacksonville State's OL. Tackling was and continues to be awful. Same old problems we have had for years and nothing but some strong recruiting classes on that side of the ball is going to fix it. Hopefully Boom will stick around to see it through. He has his work cut out for him that's for sure.

Gene Chizik, Ted Roof, Brian VanGorder, Ellis Johnson are NOT bad defensive coaches, in fact they have been successful thru their careers.

Muschamp is among the best in the buisness. So what the hell is the problem?

i think we can all agree that Auburn's defense has been disappointing thus far, even with the poor play they had last year. And we all would love to have results RIGHT NOW...

but there are a lot of very young players that are seeing the field this year and that will seriously help Auburn over the next few years. It sucks that they are playing so poorly right now, but you have to look at the positives to keep from losing your mind!

Gene Chizik, Ted Roof, Brian VanGorder, Ellis Johnson are NOT bad defensive coaches, in fact they have been successful thru their careers.

if you can answer this, you should be hired onto the AU staff IMO

Well people can't say it is the pace of the offense this year. We do not run a HUNH this year. We run a WTH offense.

Brutally honest - we are getting it handed to us in recruiting defensive recruits, especially linebackers and DL. Our last class was the best defensive class as a whole we have had in 8 years. As you can see they are playing as true freshmen because many of the upperclassmen are not working out. Heck we are starting 2 transfers from other schools on defense. We need 3 more classes with good high school DL(interior) and good high school linebackers as a priority.

if you can answer this, you should be hired onto the AU staff IMO

This. Nobody knows what the problem is. I don't buy the "we don't have the athletes" and "we're just young" excuses. We have better athletes on D than 90% of the other schools out there. They just aren't being developed into good college football players.

It's 3 games in and we just gave up like 400 yards. Hopefully the averages work out as the weeks go on.

Louisville rushed for 238 yards against us and in their last 2 games combined have rushed for under 100 yards of offense. Clemson held Louisville to 19 yards rushing. Our rush defense is pretty bad. Possibly epically bad by the time Chubb, Henry, etc. get done with us.

I don't want to seem like I'm just sunshine pumping but you have to look a little deeper into the stats of the Louisville/Clemson game.

Lamar Jackson, the incredibly evasive qb who ran 16 times for 106 yards against us, only played 2 snaps against Clemson. 1 was a pass, 1 was a rush that he gained 15 yards on. For the majority of that game UL had Kyle Bolin at qb who isn't mobile at all and accounted for -37 yards of "rushing."

Secondary is having to make way too many tackles in the run game. Blake Countess got his "Welcome To The SEC" moment and I'm sure he's thinking "I left Michigan for this mess? RBs don't look like that in the Big 10"

Two former Auburn players played on the Jax St team and they were good. Those guys were deep down on our roster. The talent I thought was the problem until I saw that.

Maybe it's our strength and conditioning ? Maybe we just aren't as hard on them in practice and practice like the NFL would?? Maybe it's the style of offense we play doesn't make for solid defensive practices because we aren't facing the 1 back, I formation, in practice.

Archived