Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

You guys are a bunch of freaking WOMEN!!! I have never heard so much speculation and downright gossiping since high school. Truth is, no one on here knows, without a doubt, what the actual problems are and what is being addressed and what may be completely beyond our coaches control. I have NEVER seen so much picking apart, based on lack of knowlege and pure opinion. Do y'all not realize how harmful all of this is??? Do you not know how all this specutlation will bleed down to how fans support this team??? And possibly to the players themselves?

This is a team of young men. They are not professionals. They are students. They have inklings of all the things you guys are saying, I am sure. I just very much feel like the "fans" are tearing this team apart, piece by piece. There is no patience in this world anymore, to let things work themselves out. I am disgusted.

Sorry for flaming out, but that's my opinion. Yes, I want them to play better and I want the coaches to coach better, but I refuse to tear them apart.

You do realize that this is a message board for Auburn fans, right? And as fans, we are frustrated with the product we see and we come here to vent and possibly get answers. It's only natural; what we are seeing now is not Auburn football, especially if you bought into the preseason hype. We have no way to heal except to talk about it with other fans. Try not to offend any women on the board by the way (if there are any).

3rd is a woman, if I'm not mistaking for someone else.

Could be. Very well....could be....

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are a bunch of freaking WOMEN!!! I have never heard so much speculation and downright gossiping since high school. Truth is, no one on here knows, without a doubt, what the actual problems are and what is being addressed and what may be completely beyond our coaches control. I have NEVER seen so much picking apart, based on lack of knowlege and pure opinion. Do y'all not realize how harmful all of this is??? Do you not know how all this specutlation will bleed down to how fans support this team??? And possibly to the players themselves?

This is a team of young men. They are not professionals. They are students. They have inklings of all the things you guys are saying, I am sure. I just very much feel like the "fans" are tearing this team apart, piece by piece. There is no patience in this world anymore, to let things work themselves out. I am disgusted.

Sorry for flaming out, but that's my opinion. Yes, I want them to play better and I want the coaches to coach better, but I refuse to tear them apart.

You do realize that this is a message board for Auburn fans, right? And as fans, we are frustrated with the product we see and we come here to vent and possibly get answers. It's only natural; what we are seeing now is not Auburn football, especially if you bought into the preseason hype. We have no way to heal except to talk about it with other fans. Try not to offend any women on the board by the way (if there are any).

No worries there 3rd is a female.

I am a woman, and I get it, but gosh, it seems like it has really gotten pretty extreme. Actually, it is probably because we have a break, we aren't getting any real news and we haven't seen any play. But it just makes me sad.

It happens every time Auburn goes through struggles.

No worries there 3rd is a female.

Good deal then haha

My problems with the program:

1. 2013 Gus was all about getting our "edge" back. Since them we the enthusiasm and "edge" we play with has fallen off dramatically. Gus can coach X's and O's, but can he manage an SEC locker room and program?

2. Everyone (media, fans, even coaches) seem to be in agreement that this offense needs a dual-threat QB. So why are all 3 QBs on the roster pocket passers?

3. DL is pathetic. Rodney Garner has brought in 3 big names (Adams, Lawson, Cowart), but outside of that, from a recruiting, player-development, and coaching standing point he's been flat out bad.

#2 can be fixed with some decent recruiting

#3 can be fixed if Muschamp is allowed to make the changes he sees fit on the defensive staff.

#1 is my biggest concern. Can Malzahn handle everything involved with being HC for an SEC program that expects to compete? Since the mid-way point of last year the answer appears to be no.

I don't even understand why we aren't solely recruiting duel threat QBs.

Well, we just got rid of one dueling wr who caused massive headaches! Why would we want a bunch of dueling qb's?

:)/> :)/> :)/>

I be here all da veek.

LOL. That's what I get for not reading my post more carefully before posting. But maybe a good ole fashioned duel is what we need to at least make the games more interesting!

I am a woman, and I get it, but gosh, it seems like it has really gotten pretty extreme. Actually, it is probably because we have a break, we aren't getting any real news and we haven't seen any play. But it just makes me sad.

It happens every time Auburn goes through struggles.

Which is unfortunately often.

If you were to ask most people that are objective and pay close attention to the games I think they can tell you pretty accurately what the problems are.

IMO and in order of importance they are:

1) Poor DL pressure on opposing QBs. It's been this way for multiple years with a few bright spots here and there (2010 and 2013 were decent).

2) Poor diversity and creativity in play calling on offense.

3a) Poor QB play. You can't turn the ball over several times a game and win against comparable competition. And that includes laying the ball on the carpet, not just interceptions.

3b) Poor OL play. I attribute this year to guys needing to shake rust off and gel together which as of Miss St hadn't fully clicked yet. (Moving everyone around for Jax St was a disservice IMO) And despite the BS some posters are spouting, this isn't some awesome, experienced veteran OL.

4a) LBs running themselves out of plays and leaving gaping holes for RBs and QBs to gallop through.

4b) Poor WR play, whether halfassing routes or poor blocking it matters not. Give 100% every play cause it may be the one that helps decide the game.

5) Youthful blunders like the HB not blocking the right guy...or any guy for that matter, CBs inability to play man, not disguising blitz, etc...

Some of this is coaching, some is inexperience, some is assignment failure. Fortunately, it's all correctable given time and effort.

If you were to ask most people that are objective and pay close attention to the games I think they can tell you pretty accurately what the problems are.

IMO and in order of importance they are:

1) Poor DL pressure on opposing QBs. It's been this way for multiple years with a few bright spots here and there (2010 and 2013 were decent).

2) Poor diversity and creativity in play calling on offense.

3a) Poor QB play. You can't turn the ball over several times a game and win against comparable competition. And that includes laying the ball on the carpet, not just interceptions.

3b) Poor OL play. I attribute this year to guys needing to shake rust off and gel together which as of Miss St hadn't fully clicked yet. (Moving everyone around for Jax St was a disservice IMO) And despite the BS some posters are spouting, this isn't some awesome, experienced veteran OL.

4a) LBs running themselves out of plays and leaving gaping holes for RBs and QBs to gallop through.

4b) Poor WR play, whether halfassing routes or poor blocking it matters not. Give 100% every play cause it may be the one that helps decide the game.

5) Youthful blunders like the HB not blocking the right guy...or any guy for that matter, CBs inability to play man, not disguising blitz, etc...

Some of this is coaching, some is inexperience, some is assignment failure. Fortunately, it's all correctable given time and effort.

Well stated.

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

This sounds really really BAD!!!!

I truly wish we could get Tommy Tuberville back as the AD. He loves AU and was the next best coach we have had next to Pat Dye, in the past 40 years.

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

This sounds really really BAD!!!!

I truly wish we could get Tommy Tuberville back as the AD. He loves AU and was the next best coach we have had next to Pat Dye, in the past 40 years.

Well, there is only 2 other coaches since then that count...not including the current one. Bowden and Chizik (and neither will ever be AD at AU) I'm not including Barfield...

By and large, this thread is more suited to the crap that I used to see on al.com, back before I stopped going there. I don't know what's more disappointing, the team's performance so far or the comments here.(PoetTiger, to name one, gets a pass for his post #105. There are a few others deserving a pass as well)

It's time for the players to take ownership of their team and start playing up to their capabilities. No amount of coaching, good or bad, can overcome the lack of effort it took for a bunch of nationally recruited guys to get taken into overtime by Jax State. That's not on the coaches, the AD or Bo Jackson's statue. It's on the players.

I don't get it....a career football coach can not run a program? I mean Gus sleeps and eats football. Maybe he does not have full control of outside booster influence but to discount Gus in this context puzzles me. I just have to ask what problems do Richt, Sumlin, Golden, Freeze, Miles, and other coaches of top notch programs that have had 8-5 seasons, some with zero championships have. Richt just got waxed at home by Bama in the worst way possible no way UGA should have looked that inept, Freeze got buffed on the road by UF after winning big at Bama. Sumlin took a 59-0 loss to UA last season and has not sniffed a West title since getting to SEC. Miles 8-5 last season, with some ugly losses along the way. There are many scenarios where teams and coaches have had bad games and seasons where things did not go as predicted. Why is it when AU has a down season its perceived as a "cluster u know what" where someone does not know what they are doing, someone is in over there head, or there is too much booster meddling. All these insiders with connections here and there may be part of the problem. I guess this round robin of coaches will continue until a coach can come in and have absolute control without all the outside influence.

This post is also where I am leaning.

No disrespect to wdewde but his "sources" might just see it as GUS not knowing how to run a program as his "sources" think it should be ran. How long have these same "sources" been giving their opinions and weight to how AU athletics should be ran???

It's time for the players to take ownership of their team and start playing up to their capabilities. No amount of coaching, good or bad, can overcome the lack of effort it took for a bunch of nationally recruited guys to get taken into overtime by Jax State. That's not on the coaches, the AD or Bo Jackson's statue. It's on the players.

^^This guy gets it......^^

By and large, this thread is more suited to the crap that I used to see on al.com, back before I stopped going there. I don't know what's more disappointing, the team's performance so far or the comments here.(PoetTiger, to name one, gets a pass for his post #105. There are a few others deserving a pass as well)

Well, we"ve been curb stomped by lsu, manhandled by msu at home, and let the #119 in the nation run defense push us around for the vast majority of the game. Looks like these guys just never want to play. We should fire them all and start over. Poor coaches got fooled by all the stars.

Your post is pretty ridiculous too Mikey. It can't all be all on the players, or nearly as much as you indicate. If there's no fire in the team for a series of games that points to coaching as much as players. To try to sum up the season by effort against jsu and lay the blame for the year so far on the players is silly. If it is true then that environment was created and allowed to continue by GM and other coaches and that is where the blame would go in my book. Accept half effort and that's what you'll get.

Well, we"ve been curb stomped by lsu, manhandled by msu at home, and let the #119 in the nation run defense push us around for the vast majority of the game. Looks like these guys just never want to play. We should fire them all and start over. Poor coaches got fooled by all the stars.

Your post is pretty ridiculous too Mikey. It can't all be all on the players, or nearly as much as you indicate. If there's no fire in the team for a series of games that points to coaching as much as players. To try to sum up the season by effort against jsu and lay the blame for the year so far on the players is silly. If it is true then that environment was created and allowed to continue by GM and other coaches and that is where the blame would go in my book. Accept half effort and that's what you'll get.

I am in no way comparing this to 2013 but it does give a talking point that can be discussed.

In 2013, AU was mauled by LSU and turned the lights on that season to make a run at the NC. In 2014, AU mauled LSU but later the wheels started to fall off. And then there is 2015 where LSU returned the favor. Where do you put blame?

Coaches??? Players??? Jay Jacobs???

^^This guy gets it......^^

Hello

Piss-poor effort is always on the players. 100%. Kicking an extra point when two points are needed? That's on the coaches. Dropping passes, getting shoved around by smaller guys with lesser talent and failing to execute blocks? Players.

Piss-poor effort is always on the players. 100%. Kicking an extra point when two points are needed? That's on the coaches. Dropping passes, getting shoved around by smaller guys with lesser talent and failing to execute blocks? Players.

I completely agree! Players not holding their blocks, RB's not following their blockers, receivers dropping passes, QBs throwing picks, defensive players whiffing on tackles..All of those issues are on the players.

I completely agree! Players not holding their blocks, RB's not following their blockers, receivers dropping passes, QBs throwing picks, defensive players whiffing on tackles..All of those issues are on the players.

For any kind of team - be it football, business, politics, whatever - there is a proven causal link between poor leadership and low morale, high turnover, and low output. Meaning? Leaders can and do bring out the best or the worst in those that they lead. Making good or bad decisions in the heat of battle (a la playcalling) is too little, too late if the coach has failed at being a leader between games. In college football, the coaches choose their players, and then get to lead them. If, on the field, the team doesn't perform... This is 100% the fault of the coaches. If the players aren't putting for the effort it's because the coaches recruited bad players OR they haven't led them well. Both of those problems can be fixed with the powers that head coaches of college football teams actually possess.

And I have heard a lot about lack of team leaders among the players. This is also squarely on the coaches. Leaders are supposed to develop leaders. Coaches who get to choose their players are supposed to identify potential leaders among the high school ranks and recruit them. Fail to do this? Failure of the coaches.

So yeah I get upset with players who don't put forth good effort but the person with the power to fix it is standing on the sideline.

ETA: IF the problem is that the coaches DON'T have this power, due to meddling AD's, boosters, "influences," etc, then we have big problems that can't be fixed no matter who the coach is

I am in no way comparing this to 2013 but it does give a talking point that can be discussed.

In 2013, AU was mauled by LSU and turned the lights on that season to make a run at the NC. In 2014, AU mauled LSU but later the wheels started to fall off. And then there is 2015 where LSU returned the favor. Where do you put blame?

Coaches??? Players??? Jay Jacobs???

Mauled in the 1st half. Grew up some in the second. 35-21 in lsu. Gud had his qb.

I'm certain there is blame to be shared all around. Sounded like mikey was putting almost all of it on the players and that just doesn't float with me. When that much of the failure points to player effor it more of a systemic failure and then the arrows ate pointing back to the coaches again.

We have some lazy seniors? We've had 3+ yrs to address that issue.

We must have watched different games. 17-9 is manhandled?

There's some truth in that. However, when the problems persist over multiple games it is a sign of coaching issues as well. Why aren't the guys playing up to their capabilities?

Talent is wasted all the time due to lack of motivation in all sports and professions. Put all the blame on the players for not motivating themselves if you like. It sounds like a load of crap to me.

I think both opinions have some validity to them. I remember one of my former coaches always telling us, "I can't make the tackles for you. I can't catch the ball for you. I can't make the blocks for you. You guys have to do that."

At the same time, any good coach will tell you, they have to put their players in the best possible position to makes the plays and execute at a high level. All this also includes preparation, physicality, field discipline (both feet, leverage and eyes) and honing skill and raw talent to fit and work in the philosophy and system being run.

Which of the above is the overall problem? If the problem persists game after game, season after season, the coaches have to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they are doing wrong? What's not working?

So far this year, barring LSwho, I haven't seen a lack of hustle and effort from our guys. But from the mood and words of WM, at least on that side of the ball, it seems the coaches are doing their darnest to get guys in the right spot and play the proper technique, but they simply are not doing it . . . it seems not so much because of lack of effort; but more so, because of ability and skill.

Archived