Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

The issue isn't so much Auburn having an "off year" as the coaches being so blind-sided by it. Nobody I know is asking for CGM's scalp, but many are asking "WTF?" concerning the poor offensive play and play-calling.

Perhaps Gus shouldn't bill his team as championship-ready just before he fields a dumpster fire? I bet the fan and booster response would be less vitriolic.

Certainly not calling for CGM's head, but I agree with the the above. I would also add that the marketing done by the AD certainly added to it. I can't tell you how much stuff I got through the AD as a member of TUF that pumped this team. Our own AD and coaching staff is to blame for misplaced expectations.

Canning Gus would be the biggest football-related mistake I can think of at the moment, so I agree. We'll see what happens to the O now that Duke is gone. Honestly, UK is going to be the most important game for not only this year, but next year as well. If we come out fighting and win, then there's hope. If we don't there's probably not.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did Gus hype the team as championship caliber. I remember for sure he said we were young and would experience growing pains, though.

Unless someone can show where he hyped the team up I feel like people are putting blame on Gus for media projections based solely on the coaching staff resumes on the AU sideline.

When did Gus hype the team as championship caliber. I remember for sure he said we were young and would experience growing pains, though.

Unless someone can show where he hyped the team up I feel like people are putting blame on Gus for media projections based solely on the coaching staff resumes on the AU sideline.

I heard him speak at an alumni event and he wasn't quite that tentative. Obviously he knows better than to thump his chest about unplayed games in this division, and maybe he was simply playing to the crowd, but he was extremely optimistic about the possibilities. He referred to JJ as one of the better QBs in the country and talked up our RBs and both lines. He also mentioned youth and inexperience.

I realize he's invited to those events to pump sunshine, so I do consider the circumstances.

WDE!

I heard him speak at an alumni event and he wasn't quite that tentative. Obviously he knows better than to thump his chest about unplayed games in this division, and maybe he was simply playing to the crowd, but he was extremely optimistic about the possibilities. He referred to JJ as one of the better QBs in the country and talked up our RBs and both lines. He also mentioned youth and inexperience.

I realize he's invited to those events to pump sunshine, so I do consider the circumstances.

WDE!

Ah gotcha thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure if he felt the team was as bad as this he would've tried to temper expectations somewhat

A lot of our dysphoria arises from the play at QB.

The D is not unexpected from what we had a year ago.

The OL play is not awful and our RB's are pretty respectable.

Average QB play from the start would have had us hoping for more, but:

we had us a genuine Heisman Trophy Candidate who was going to lead us to the promised land!

And why not? We had no reason to doubt based on past performance.

Reality's been a bitch.

Unfortunately our youth and inexperience played against our less than stellar Jr QB play has exposed us for who we are.

I hate to say it, but it is time to grow and be patient.

It could be worse.

You could be wearing a mullet, yelling RTR!

I can defend Auburn on the quick trigger thing.

I can't speak to the Bowden situation. That happened fast. I can say that Pat Dye's down years were not losing seasons. When they became losing seasons, with the NCAA breathing down his neck, he had to go. Saban doesn't do losing seasons. Bobby Bowden didn't do losing seasons. So those comparisons make no sense. Paterno went a whole generation before surviving a losing season, so he's an exception.

With Tuberville Auburn was experiencing a steady decline over three consecutive seasons. 2008 was no abberation but a culmination. It was a close call, but his departure made sense.

2012 was Auburn's worst season in 50 years, and it was clear the program had fallen apart.

Right now, I'm concerned. It's not about 2015. It's about everything that's happened in the past 11.5 months. We haven't won a conference game. It's not a single bad season, it's a trend that crosses seasons.

Now, I missed Muschamp saying something about Auburn's culture. Would someone share a link?

I think two different quotes are being conflated. CWM did say recently in a press conference that he was "changing the culture" of the defense - basically saying he was improving the work ethic of the players. I think there's a thread here that has that presser vid.

The "Auburn culture" quote supposedly happened years ago just after he left Auburn. I've never heard it or seen it.

WDE!

Ah gotcha thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure if he felt the team was as bad as this he would've tried to temper expectations somewhat

No problem, Tiger. I wish it would have worked out as well as he/we thought it would. I'm very disappointed in his product so far, but I don't feel like I was intentionally misled.

Again, I know part of CGM's job is to work the crowds and bolster support, so I don't fault him for being incredibly optimistic. His talk only reinforced what I already believed.

WDE!

UGA, UT, USC, Oregon, NDAme, GaTech, Oklahoma, and many other teams have not met the expectations of the pre season talking heads. I guess there programs are dysfunctional, booster meddling, undisciplined, don't have heart, and many other concerns others say are plaguing Auburn. I just think the team was overrated by prognosticators and a lot of fan frustration is based on those expectations, and the team not meeting them. New DC with a new system that lacks depth, talent and experience in key areas. Not to mention a new QB,RB, Center etc. I personally thought the team was a year away from those high expectations. Needless to say the season is not over and like Golf said this week will definitely give some insight on what direction the team is going.

Soooo, do you see next year being a great improvement?

I'm not giving Gus a pass on "youth," because having veterans last year clearly didn't mean anything.

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

IMO.

This team seems to be no want, no way, no how.

Starts from the top.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

IMO.

Starts from the top.

You're stating my worst suspicions. It somehow sounds worse when you say it.

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

Wow, it seems like Gus has no confidence in SW as QB and it shows in his play calling during the last two games. This reminds me of Gus' post game interview after the Chick fil-a bowl after the 2011 season when asked who would be the next QB at Auburn. He said it definitely would be Fraser even though he was heading to Ark State. Now he has been completely wrong about 3 QBs (Burns, Fraser and JJ), maybe we can hire Spurrier as our QB coach and Steve can give Gus a new prepective when evaulating a QB.

IMO.

Starts from the top.

Can you elaborate more on Jacobs and Gus "being in way over their heads"? I guess that statement only confuses me because this is not year 1 of Gus being the HC, and I am trying to figure out what would have changed from his hiring until now. I realize this is his first HC gig, but I guess that statement confuses me without more information.

Wow, it seems like Gus has no confidence in SW as QB and it shows in his play calling during the last two games. This reminds me of Gus' post game interview after the Chick fil-a bowl after the 2011 season when asked who would be the next QB at Auburn. He said it definitely would be Fraser even though he was heading to Ark State. Now he has been completely wrong about 3 QBs (Burns, Fraser and JJ), maybe we can hire Spurrier as our QB coach and Steve can give Gus a new prepective when evaulating a QB.

Gus has a lot of confidence in White. White just is not ready and Gus does not won't to kill his confidence this year.

IMO.

Starts from the top.

This is beyond depressing.

IMO.

Starts from the top.

Can you elaborate more on Jacobs and Gus "being in way over their heads"? I guess that statement only confuses me because this is not year 1 of Gus being the HC, and I am trying to figure out what would have changed from his hiring until now. I realize this is his first HC gig, but I guess that statement confuses me without more information.

As of right now Gus does not know how to lead a big time college football program. Gus is very unorganized. Gus is no a very good leader. Gus is very stubborn. He is flying by the seat of his pants right now. No other way to look at this. Can he find his way? Sure if he will listen. Gus has some very good football people in his ear trying to help.

Jay. Don't even get me started.

IMO.

Starts from the top.

As of right now Gus does not know how to lead a big time college football program. Gus is very unorganized. Gus is no a very good leader. Gus is very stubborn. He is flying by the seat of his pants right now. No other way to look at this. Can he find his way? Sure if he will listen. Gus has some very good football people in his ear trying to help.

Thanks for that, I thought that is what you were implying, but wanted to be sure.

Not surprised by anything you have to say about Jacobs... thanks again.

He'll need to finish his case of PBR first, so check back in about 5 minutes

Shoot!

I've already started my second.

Is he old or something?

He would too, but he got caught up in a Matlock marathon

No smart ass it's a Orange Is The New Black marathon

Just finished a True Detective season 1 marathon. Hot damn that's some good watchin'.

Best single season of TV I've ever watched, and it's not particularly close. I'll watch anything Cary Fukunaga does from now on.

Unfortunately- but not surprisingly- season 2 fell far, far short for me.

A winning team can cover a world of ills, but to be a hot mess in admin and on the field is a midnight ticket outa town. Gus needs to hire an OC that can actually do the job or maybe he should rethink being a head coach (or at least head coach of such a big program).

IMO.

Starts from the top.

Will any of this be revealed in greater detail post-season?

Archived