Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

I see a bunch of opinions and conjecture with very little actual facts. Seems this board is turning bammer in a hurry. We beat KY and 90 percent of this crap disappears. If this many rumors were in another thread it would be locked down. Someone making all these outlandish claims needs to come with some proof or mods should lock this thing up. No need in continuing this all out bash fest.

That we are worried about beating Kentucky has me concerned about the state of the program. The defense held Mississippi State to 17 points, yet the offense could not manage to score a touchdown in their own stadium. Overtime was necessary to beat an FCS team, in Jordan-Hare. They were never even in the game against LSU. Too much talent has been recruited over the years to be fielding a team like this.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I hear one more person say A) "We're having a down year," or B) (stupid emoticon) "We're the victim of expectations," I will take a picture of my socks and put it on the internet.

We are not having a bad year. We are on a 5-game SEC losing streak that dates back to November 8. Scores....

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

Alabama 55, Auburn 44 (the most encouraging of the bunch, actually)

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

In that period we've played two other Big 5 teams. We lost a close one to Wisconsin (giving up 400 yards rushing), and we won a close one against Louisville. Otherwise, we've beaten Samford, Jax State, and San Jose.

As for "victims of expectations," several of us thought we were overrated at the season's beginning. We knew we were counting on very talented guys who had not accomplished much yet. No doubt, JJ's performance, Duke's whatever it was, and injuries to Lawson and Matthews have hurt. But so far this team has been very, very poor.

I'm an optimist. Teams can click at some point, and we've had a bye week. Close wins, even against weak opposition, can really help a team. So maybe we'll see something Thursday night. But please, not the "it's just a bad year" crap.

I agree with the above.

And for the record, I think a picture of your socks would be just the thing to lighten the mood around here! ;)

I see a bunch of opinions and conjecture with very little actual facts. Seems this board is turning bammer in a hurry. We beat KY and 90 percent of this crap disappears. If this many rumors were in another thread it would be locked down. Someone making all these outlandish claims needs to come with some proof or mods should lock this thing up. No need in continuing this all out bash fest.

WDE has been vetted.

But he is not actually involved. He claims to have heard this from "people connected to" the program. Are we to believe Gus is really telling people that if JJ fails, he is gonna try and just not get blown out for the remainder of the year and buy himself another year? There is no way in Haites he is saying that. He'd have to be one of the dumbest people on the planet to tell people ahead of time he's not going to even try to win. Just not happening.

WDE knows what's what with AU.

You cherry picked WDE's post about the JJ part when there were a lot more disturbing issues he addressed in that post.

Hell, my only connection is that I'm an alum and a season ticket holder and I can recognize that there is zero leadership on this team and a huge lack of organization within the program. Not to mention lack of disicpline on the field, questionable discipline off the field, and pitiful fundamental development going on in the program. You don't have to be "connected" or an AU insider to know that the team looks ill prepared on the field. And they flat out look uninspired and lack motivation in many games, that is a reflection of the lack of leadership from the most important person, the head coach.

Are our players motivated by Gus? Are they energized when he speaks to them? Are they fired up and ready to knock down a freaking brick wall for HIM?

My problems with the program:

1. 2013 Gus was all about getting our "edge" back. Since them we the enthusiasm and "edge" we play with has fallen off dramatically. Gus can coach X's and O's, but can he manage an SEC locker room and program?

2. Everyone (media, fans, even coaches) seem to be in agreement that this offense needs a dual-threat QB. So why are all 3 QBs on the roster pocket passers?

3. DL is pathetic. Rodney Garner has brought in 3 big names (Adams, Lawson, Cowart), but outside of that, from a recruiting, player-development, and coaching standing point he's been flat out bad.

#2 can be fixed with some decent recruiting

#3 can be fixed if Muschamp is allowed to make the changes he sees fit on the defensive staff.

#1 is my biggest concern. Can Malzahn handle everything involved with being HC for an SEC program that expects to compete? Since the mid-way point of last year the answer appears to be no.

WDE has been vetted.

But he is not actually involved. He claims to have heard this from "people connected to" the program. Are we to believe Gus is really telling people that if JJ fails, he is gonna try and just not get blown out for the remainder of the year and buy himself another year? There is no way in Haites he is saying that. He'd have to be one of the dumbest people on the planet to tell people ahead of time he's not going to even try to win. Just not happening.

WDE knows what's what with AU.

You cherry picked WDE's post about the JJ part when there were a lot more disturbing issues he addressed in that post.

Hell, my only connection is that I'm an alum and a season ticket holder and I can recognize that there is zero leadership on this team and a huge lack of organization within the program. Not to mention lack of disicpline on the field, questionable discipline off the field, and pitiful fundamental development going on in the program. You don't have to be "connected" or an AU insider to know that the team looks ill prepared on the field. And they flat out look uninspired and lack motivation in many games, that is a reflection of the lack of leadership from the most important person, the head coach.

Are our players motivated by Gus? Are they energized when he speaks to them? Are they fired up and ready to knock down a freaking brick wall for HIM?

These are all valid concerns and definitely need to be addressed. I'm still not going to buy that Gus is going to hang it up for the year though. I don't doubt that WDE has sources, but what was posted was simply opinion. It may be the opinion of somebody he claims to be a source, but still just an opinion.

1. 2013 Gus was all about getting our "edge" back. Since them we the enthusiasm and "edge" we play with has fallen off dramatically. Gus can coach X's and O's, but can he manage an SEC locker room and program?

2. Everyone (media, fans, even coaches) seem to be in agreement that this offense needs a dual-threat QB. So why are all 3 QBs on the roster pocket passers?

3. DL is pathetic. Rodney Garner has brought in 3 big names (Adams, Lawson, Cowart), but outside of that, from a recruiting, player-development, and coaching standing point he's been flat out bad.

#3 can be fixed if Muschamp is allowed to make the changes he sees fit on the defensive staff.

#1 is my biggest concern. Can Malzahn handle everything involved with being HC for an SEC program that expects to compete? Since the mid-way point of last year the answer appears to be no.

I am wondering the same thing about #1, I just wonder if Gus can really change the culture in the locker room. Unfortunately, it was clear that during Chizik's time the locker room drama had spun out of control. I had hoped that Gus would be able to change that course. Right now, I see us dealing with the same issues just not to the extreme (yet).

And #2 is baffling. I don't even understand why we aren't solely recruiting duel threat QBs.

I don't even understand why we aren't solely recruiting duel threat QBs.

Well, we just got rid of one dueling wr who caused massive headaches! Why would we want a bunch of dueling qb's?

:) :) :)

I be here all da veek.

Actually, maybe what we need IS a DUEL threat QB.

Someone who can wield an epee and distribute a football at the same time? I like it!

These are all valid concerns and definitely need to be addressed. I'm still not going to buy that Gus is going to hang it up for the year though. I don't doubt that WDE has sources, but what was posted was simply opinion. It may be the opinion of somebody he claims to be a source, but still just an opinion.

You did see the huge IMO at the end of WDE's post, right?

The one thing I will argue is the notion of stubbornness. Gus calls the same play, over and over again, because his offense is predicated on misdirection. He is trying to establish a pattern in the mind of the opposing DC, so he can then switch it up and get a huge play out of it. Unfortunately this doesn't work when you can't get decent gains on the establishing plays. That will never happen without quality blocking up front and down field.

Also, as far as pulling Jeremy goes, I would be willing to bet that the delay had less to do about him refusing to give up on Jeremy and more about him being concerned about throwing Sean to the wolves (see my previous post about Keihl).

I'll also remind everyone, in reference to the "high school" offense that we run, that in 2013, people were saying it was unfair because it was impossible to defend, and when it is executed properly... it really is. The issue is not the scheme or the calls, it's the execution. Until the O-line mans up and we get some parameter blocking, it's going to continue to look like we don't know what we are doing.

Ding - Ding...

You did see the huge IMO at the end of WDE's post, right?

I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out

He says "I'm told". Maybe we need clarification of what is his opinion and not? This is passed off as someone inside the program saying this, is it not?

And for the record, I'm not trying to jump on WDE, I know he has good info. I Just don't believe people should jump on this specific info as though it's a fact as it is pretty clearly someone's opinion

Someone who can wield an epee and distribute a football at the same time? I like it!

Now that would really get their attention! The other team would then be afraid....be really afraid!

Now that would really get their attention! The other team would then be afraid....be really afraid!

Indeed, it could be a new invention of the "mad scientist, offensive guru" a dual-dueling QB!

WDE has been vetted.

"Are we to believe Gus is really telling people that if JJ fails, he is gonna try and just not get blown out for the remainder of the year and buy himself another year?"

He may not be saying it, but the people around him (i.e.: WDE's connections) probably recognize it and said it. No one believes that Gus is going to simply hang it up, but if JJ still flounders, then what choice does Gus have but to grind it out and buy himself another year? Besides, simply beating Kentucky won't make a darn thing go away; it'll be HOW we beat KY and how we play for the rest of the season that matters. But you can bet your balls that if we come out flat against them that all hell will break loose

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

IMO.

This team seems to be no want, no way, no how.

Starts from the top.

"Our pets heads are falling off!!" Seriously though, this situation sucks.

WDE has been vetted.

"Are we to believe Gus is really telling people that if JJ fails, he is gonna try and just not get blown out for the remainder of the year and buy himself another year?"

He may not be saying it, but the people around him (i.e.: WDE's connections) probably recognize it and said it. No one believes that Gus is going to simply hang it up, but if JJ still flounders, then what choice does Gus have but to grind it out and buy himself another year? Besides, simply beating Kentucky won't make a darn thing go away; it'll be HOW we beat KY and how we play for the rest of the season that matters. But you can bet your balls that if we come out flat against them that all hell will break loose

He has the "choice" to use SW and and the RBs in a productive way. SW has shown to be a fairly accurate passer with decent awareness. Our running game is more than adequate. SW has not even been let loose yet. In the few glimpses he was he looked pretty good (1st drive of MSU and when we were down and had to pass). You don't "grind it out" and hope for another year. You formulate a plan for success. People saying this are expressing opinions based out of frustration if I had to guess. No way anyone plans to "grind it out and try to buy 1 more year"

WDE has been vetted.

He has the "choice" to use SW and and the RBs in a productive way. SW has shown to be a fairly accurate passer with decent awareness. Our running game is more than adequate. SW has not even been let loose yet. In the few glimpses he was he looked pretty good (1st drive of MSU and when we were down and had to pass). You don't "grind it out" and hope for another year. You formulate a plan for success. People saying this are expressing opinions based out of frustration if I had to guess. No way anyone plans to "grind it out and try to buy 1 more year"

Believe me, I'm the first to say that Sean has not been given a fair shot; it's just as frustrating to see as everything else this season. The only way I can possibly explain that quote is that Gus doesn't feel like Sean is ready just yet, and if we have to go with him it will be a grind out situation. It's obvious to even the most casual observer that the offense is much better with White in it, as long as everyone is executing. Guess we'll see what happens Thursday

You guys are a bunch of freaking WOMEN!!! I have never heard so much speculation and downright gossiping since high school. Truth is, no one on here knows, without a doubt, what the actual problems are and what is being addressed and what may be completely beyond our coaches control. I have NEVER seen so much picking apart, based on lack of knowlege and pure opinion. Do y'all not realize how harmful all of this is??? Do you not know how all this specutlation will bleed down to how fans support this team??? And possibly to the players themselves?

This is a team of young men. They are not professionals. They are students. They have inklings of all the things you guys are saying, I am sure. I just very much feel like the "fans" are tearing this team apart, piece by piece. There is no patience in this world anymore, to let things work themselves out. I am disgusted.

Sorry for flaming out, but that's my opinion. Yes, I want them to play better and I want the coaches to coach better, but I refuse to tear them apart.

You guys are a bunch of freaking WOMEN!!! I have never heard so much speculation and downright gossiping since high school. Truth is, no one on here knows, without a doubt, what the actual problems are and what is being addressed and what may be completely beyond our coaches control. I have NEVER seen so much picking apart, based on lack of knowlege and pure opinion. Do y'all not realize how harmful all of this is??? Do you not know how all this specutlation will bleed down to how fans support this team??? And possibly to the players themselves?

This is a team of young men. They are not professionals. They are students. They have inklings of all the things you guys are saying, I am sure. I just very much feel like the "fans" are tearing this team apart, piece by piece. There is no patience in this world anymore, to let things work themselves out. I am disgusted.

Sorry for flaming out, but that's my opinion. Yes, I want them to play better and I want the coaches to coach better, but I refuse to tear them apart.

This is a message board. This is what you do on message boards.

You do realize that this is a message board for Auburn fans, right? And as fans, we are frustrated with the product we see and we come here to vent and possibly get answers. It's only natural; what we are seeing now is not Auburn football, especially if you bought into the preseason hype. We have no way to heal except to talk about it with other fans. Try not to offend any women on the board by the way (if there are any).

You do realize that this is a message board for Auburn fans, right? And as fans, we are frustrated with the product we see and we come here to vent and possibly get answers. It's only natural; what we are seeing now is not Auburn football, especially if you bought into the preseason hype. We have no way to heal except to talk about it with other fans. Try not to offend any women on the board by the way (if there are any).

3rd is a woman, if I'm not mistaking for someone else.

I am a woman, and I get it, but gosh, it seems like it has really gotten pretty extreme. Actually, it is probably because we have a break, we aren't getting any real news and we haven't seen any play. But it just makes me sad.

So at whom do we point fingers? What is the problem and how do we get this problem out of our program? More importantly, if our "youth" is the problem, how much improvement will we see next year?

So many questions...

Archived