Bernie Sanders on Income Inequality, Disappearing Middle Class..

DKW 86

Dare you to watch all of it.

"If the BOTTOM 90% had just kept the same level of wealth they had in 1985, they would have $10TN more in wealth than they do today."
Money @ 3:30

EX: $10,000,000,000,000 / 280,000,000 People = $35,700/Person-Man-Woman-Child

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great! Maybe it would be easier for the government to seize the cash and assets of the top 15 earners and give to us in the form of a check?

How in the hell can we sustain free tuition during years when the stock market is down 20% or more? If we are relying on speculation to fund tuition what would the "insurance" be during real economic hardship on Wall Street?

I question this about ANY social program that takes in such a huge burden. I agree that we need to reverse the calamity that we face in a shrinking middle class. Bernie makes some great points, but social Robin Hood ideas can't sustain itself over the long term.

Sounds great! Maybe it would be easier for the government to seize the cash and assets of the top 15 earners and give to us in the form of a check?

How in the hell can we sustain free tuition during years when the stock market is down 20% or more? If we are relying on speculation to fund tuition what would the "insurance" be during real economic hardship on Wall Street?

I question this about ANY social program that takes in such a huge burden. I agree that we need to reverse the calamity that we face in a shrinking middle class. Bernie makes some great points, but social Robin Hood ideas can't sustain itself over the long term.

Red herrings.

You think the current trend is sustainable? And this isn't about writing checks for poor people. It's about changing the rules of our economic system and investing in ourselves.

What do yall think about him wanting to raise the minimum wage?

Do it.

If the minimum wage was a good idea to begin with, why not sustain it by adjusting for inflation?

I remember that less than two weeks after crowds of Mcdonalds workers were protesting because they were wanting to earn higher wages, that Mcdonalds had bought over 1000 kiosks and were prepared to roll them out to test them. And to me that shows if the government pushes the living wage for profit firms to abide by, businesses will start to push back with measures of their own. And that danger seems to make the push for 15 dollar wages counter-productive. For, there is no better way to get around the wage than to create kiosks; machines that will allow businesses to save money in the long run, while also avoiding tardiness, sick leave, and all the employee personal problems bull crap.

We hardly had Robin Hood policies in 1985 under Reagan. Sanders wasn't proposing anything close to the bogeyman you put up here. Our policies have changed since then and they changed in ways that almost universally screwed the middle class and allowed all the advantages and spoils of success to accrue to a select few.

I wonder what would happen if Bernie Sanders were pro-life? How many Republicans would cross over to vote for him? And how many Democrats, that love to pejoratively dismiss social conservatives as single-issue voters, would abandon him?

I wonder what would happen if Bernie Sanders were pro-life? How many Republicans would cross over to vote for him? And how many Democrats, that love to pejoratively dismiss social conservatives as single-issue voters, would abandon him?

That is a very interesting question.

What I wonder is, why/how the abortion issue became an all or nothing debate.

You want to know what screwed the middle class? The exporting of middle class jobs and wages. NAFTA, among others. Red herring my ass!

Let's just give everybody everything they want! I'll take a new truck, boat and an acre on the bay. :)

Red herrings.

You think the current trend is sustainable? And this isn't about writing checks for poor people. It's about changing the rules of our economic system and investing in ourselves.

emt, love you man, but we are not sustainable like it is now. Many think that Student Loans are the next huge bubble. I dont know about that, but the fundamentals are there. I know many that i worked with in the past, at my second job, are literally going to have to work until they drop. They are one medical bill ahead of bankruptcy. People that I love, friends and family are more important to me than ideologies.

Do it.

If the minimum wage was a good idea to begin with, why not sustain it by adjusting for inflation?

Inflation would say that it would be around $9.50-10.00/hr today.

Do it.

Inflation would say that it would be around $9.50-10.00/hr today.

Works for me.

You want to know what screwed the middle class? The exporting of middle class jobs and wages. NAFTA, among others. Red herring my ass!

Let's just give everybody everything they want! I'll take a new truck, boat and an acre on the bay. :)

Red herring my ass? That's not what you posted, so, uh, yeah, I guess so. :headscratch:

Some ideologies will make zealots out of many folks.

I agree with the part in red, with a little more detail and, a few qualifiers.

That is in a way, what is so interesting. Even in this forum, I would say most express a more extreme view once the conversation becomes political.

Let's just give everybody everything they want! I'll take a new truck, boat and an acre on the bay. :)/>

Why jump to extremes as if the only choices are the status quo and some exaggerated strawman scenario where we're cribbing pages from Ayn Rand's hallucinations and giving people free trucks and boats?

Let's just give everybody everything they want! I'll take a new truck, boat and an acre on the bay. :)/>

Why jump to extremes as if the only choices are the status quo and some exaggerated strawman scenario where we're cribbing pages from Ayn Rand's hallucinations and giving people free trucks and boats?

Intellectual laziness.

That is in a way, what is so interesting. Even in this forum, I would say most express a more extreme view once the conversation becomes political.

You are nothing if not diplomatic sir. I would say bat-s**t crazy. ;D

...guilty of that myself...unfortunately. I am trying tho.

Some of my best sermons are aimed at me.

I would not stay that. I would say for some, the issue is more political than moral. For others, I would say the extremism on the other side motivates them to become more extreme.

I would not stay that. I would say for some, the issue is more political than moral. For others, I would say the extremism on the other side motivates them to become more extreme.

Zealots dont listen, they mindlessly react.

Great more free stuff from the govt. Just what we need. Bernie's proposals will drive the already out of control debt into orbit. You start raising taxes on the "rich" and they'll do what these people always do. They'll put their money into non taxable municipal bonds and just stop doing things that will get tsxed. It happens every time.

Great more free stuff from the govt. Just what we need. Bernie's proposals will drive the already out of control debt into orbit. You start raising taxes on the "rich" and they'll do what these people always do. They'll put their money into non taxable municipal bonds and just stop doing things that will get tsxed. It happens every time.

So you are content with jobs going overseas and the Middle Class disappearing?

Okay, thanks for your point of view.

Archived