Where are we as a program

Lowrider

Is the D really getting better? The D is giving up 3 more points per game than last year, 50 more rushing yards per game and more passing yards per game than last year. Sure Boom can't fix everything right away, but shouldn't the D be some better than last year already?

If you can't see the difference between this years D from last years, then you're not very observant. No offense intended, but the attitudes and fight these kids have this year is night and day compared to last. It really pisses me off to hear people bitch about the D so much. It's a rebuild year on D we fans all knew this coming into this season. I think people had ridiculously ignorant expectations on what would happen with this team overall, D included.

i agree with everything you said except the D is really not much better this year. They are fighting, yes, but as far as W-Ls and stats, they are aren't better. It is just going to take time. Champ can get us there in the 2 years but we have to be patient and WE NEED PLAYERS.

Defense has held every team other than LSU (which is currently #2) to less than 30 points in regulation play, including the notable achievement of holding Mississippi State to 17 and Ole Miss to 27. If defense had played this well in 2014, that team would have been undefeated. Every offense with a pulse broke 30 on last year's defense. A combination of two things is responsible for every loss this team has: often lengthy offensive struggles, and FG's instead of TD's.

I'm not saying the defense is a unit I would consider good. I am saying that the defense has played well enough to win every game played thus far had the supposed strength of the team (offense) been doing its job. The offense is supposed to be able to score 30+ consistently, and the defense is supposed to hold opponents below 30 consistently. The defense is doing its job, it did not last year. I don't recall a single game last year where the defense played even close to the way they did last Saturday against Ole Miss. I call that better. Of course, I'd like to expect the defense to hold opponents below 20 consistently, but I'm not increasing defensive expectations until I observe a good reason to do so.

Good post, Strychnine -- I agree.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a program we are literally...below the Mississippi schools and Arkansas but above Kentucky as we stand right now. Time will tell if that is a one year aberration or going to be our place for the next little while. I personally believe, in Auburn's typical 4-5 year cycles, we are hitting the bad part of the cycle right now and will be back to our top 6 either next year or the following year at the very latest

As a program we are literally...below the Mississippi schools and Arkansas but above Kentucky as we stand right now. Time will tell if that is a one year aberration or going to be our place for the next little while. I personally believe, in Auburn's typical 4-5 year cycles, we are hitting the bad part of the cycle right now and will be back to our top 6 either next year or the following year at the very latest

Yep. In a rebuilding year, we are a touchdown worse than one of the better teams Ole Miss will ever have. In Sean White's first start, we were a touchdown worse than an MSU team that had the best quarterback they've ever had. We are inarguably below them this season.

Just to be clear, Tiger, my intent is to support your post and not argue against it.

Yep. In a rebuilding year, we are a touchdown worse than one of the better teams Ole Miss will ever have. In Sean White's first start, we were a touchdown worse than an MSU team that had the best quarterback they've ever had. We are inarguably below them this season.

Just to be clear, Tiger, my intent is to support your post and not argue against it.

All good sir, and I didn't take it as you disagreeing. Great points about Ole Miss and MSU in relation to their histories and AU during a rebuilding year.

Time will tell if that is a one year aberration or going to be our place for the next little while.

I don't think there is any question that it's an aberration. We lost the top 3 players who we were counting on to be a great team, and two of them managed to do some damage on their way out. I don't think a single person would argue that if each had stayed healthy/played at the level they are capable/got their attitude right, or if we would have had the time to replace two of them pre-season, we wouldn't be back where we belonged, competing for the top spot in the West.

Time will tell if that is a one year aberration or going to be our place for the next little while.

I don't think there is any question that it's an aberration. We lost the top 3 players who we were counting on to be a great team, and two of them managed to do some damage on their way out. I don't think a single person would argue that if each had stayed healthy/played at the level they are capable/got their attitude right, or if we would have had the time to replace two of them pre-season, we wouldn't be back where we belonged, competing for the top spot in the West.

I'm with you on this one. I think things are looking up.

Archived