Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

Tired argument, but I thought the offense was fine in 2014. It was the defense that couldn't save us.

17th total offense in 2014, 11th in 2013. Annnnd 94th in 2015.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

This season will hinge on reliable QB play and the defense picking up where it left off.

not an argument at all. The offense was excellent in '14

I just meant that it's been mentioned time and time again, yet 2014 gets lumped into a "bad season" still.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thing is Gus has been successful offensively every where he has been, but has been stumped the past two seasons at AU.

No offense to you, directly, Poet, but can people please stop perpetrating this false statement. Gus has had ONE bad year, offensively, as Auburn's head coach... ONE. All of our woes in 2014 were on the defensive side of the ball, except for a couple of stupid mistakes against Texas A&M. As I've stated in another thread, we only gained 16 fewer yards and 4 fewer points per game in 2014 than we did in our National Championship run, with a Heisman candidate running back, in 2013. This "our offense has been going downhill since 2013" stuff just adds fuel to a fire that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Sorry, not to take anything away from the two others who posted before me while I was writing this.

take all you need bro.

Our offense was good enough to secure a playoff birth in 2014 IMO. A fairly called game vs Miss St that year and we are looking nice the rest of the way. But the D really let us down vs TAMU that year. How could they give up THAT kind of game against a QB making his first road start. Our defense was just a little bit worse than or offense was good that season which was unfortunate for us. I think we peaked too early that year with the LSU win.

We were are all pretty disappointed in how that year ended up. Man, looking at our schedule and our question marks I would take 8 wins this upcoming season to get back on track. But IMO, 8 wins should always be the absolute floor at AU.

thing is Gus has been successful offensively every where he has been, but has been stumped the past two seasons at AU.

No offense to you, directly, Poet, but can people please stop perpetrating this false statement. Gus has had ONE bad year, offensively, as Auburn's head coach... ONE. All of our woes in 2014 were on the defensive side of the ball, except for a couple of stupid mistakes against Texas A&M. As I've stated in another thread, we only gained 16 fewer yards and 4 fewer points per game in 2014 than we did in our National Championship run, with a Heisman candidate running back, in 2013. This "our offense has been going downhill since 2013" stuff just adds fuel to a fire that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Sorry, not to take anything away from the two others who posted before me while I was writing this.

When I say stumped I do not mean it was not good. It was more than good enough to win the SEC and you are right it was the defense that was the bigger problem. Bad choice of words, I think last year was an anomaly, and the offense will get back on track this season.

When I say stumped I do not mean it was not good. It was more than good enough to win the SEC and you are right it was the defense that was the bigger problem. Bad choice of words, I think last year was an anomaly, and the offense will get back on track this season.

I completely agree. I think next year could be Gus's most complete team since he's been head coach... not necessarily the best, which will depend on QB and several freshmen stepping up, but the most competitive on both sides of the ball. It really sucks for him that the first year he had a Defensive Coordinator who really made a difference, everything that could go wrong for the offense, did.

why are we not hearing any chatter or chest pounding about Tyler Queen? isn't he supposed to be pretty good,, and more of a running threat than the two from this past season? he also has size. Could he be our surprise in the 2016 season, or am not aware of something with him (surgery not withstanding)?

why are we not hearing any chatter or chest pounding about Tyler Queen? isn't he supposed to be pretty good,, and more of a running threat than the two from this past season? he also has size. Could he be our surprise in the 2016 season, or am not aware of something with him (surgery not withstanding)?

He had surgery last year. He's a question mark.

Gus hit gold in a playmaker at QB with NM, while things were still good in 14, NM made something out of nothing more often than not. The play calling and ignoring meaningless motion was already figured out by DC's. I hope he intends on evolving this offense at some point and not keep relying on 1 great player

he will be fine he had tommy john surgery, super duper minor for a QB.

With his surgery and returning SW and the potential of JF3, Queen is probably in the "wait and see what spring camp has to show" file. If SW does poorly and JF3 flops, more and more people will be talking about him IMO.

With his surgery and returning SW and the potential of JF3, Queen is probably in the "wait and see what spring camp has to show" file. If SW does poorly and JF3 flops, more and more people will be talking about him IMO.

Agree, the procedure he had done is minor for a QB, the reps he missed to have the surgery are major

Agree, the procedure he had done is minor for a QB, the reps he missed to have the surgery are major

For our sake as fans, I hope it doesn't come down to wishing the guy who hasn't taken a snap in over a year to be the starter. Might as well pin the meltdown thread if that happens.

In the end talent will always prevail. Same thing last year at running back. I think Gus was biased towards Roc, but in the end Barber was the one who got the job done. So Gus possibly has already in his mind gone with JF3 but if Queen, White or Barrett is the best on the team then some point during the season they will emerge.

In the end talent will always prevail. Same thing last year at running back. I think Gus was biased towards Roc, but in the end Barber was the one who got the job done. So Gus possibly has already in his mind gone with JF3 but if Queen, White or Barrett is the best on the team then some point during the season they will emerge.

How was he biased towards Roc?

1. I said he is biased so that should be enough. 2. Look up all the articles from last spring. Gus talked Roc up but never heard anything about Barber. Summer Gus talked Roc up. 3. How long did it take Barber to win the job? Even after Barber single handily carried the offense the running back position was still open so Roc could win it.

1. I said he is biased so that should be enough. 2. Look up all the articles from last spring. Gus talked Roc up but never heard anything about Barber. Summer Gus talked Roc up. 3. How long did it take Barber to win the job? Even after Barber single handily carried the offense the running back position was still open so Roc could win it.

Have you considered the fact that Roc may have more upside than Barber? I mean, I don't want to take anything away from Barber's heart and his willingness to hit the pile again and again, but his vision is not great and he has no real moves or break away speed. What he has are strong legs, no fear, and as I already mentioned, heart. When Roc is healthy, he has the ability to make people miss and the speed to take it to the house if he gets through the line, every time.

So... before claiming some false favoritism, maybe you might want to consider that, had Roc not spent the year hurt in some fashion or another, that he might have actually been the better back... The bias could, in fact, be yours toward Barber, which is understandable, because he carried the team when everyone else was broken, and he deserves a world of credit for that.

Whoa whoa whoa....lol j/k...really I thought I may have missed something Gus did or said...I was looking for an answer not trying to question ya. Roc is talented and needs to be in space more vs and every down back...

Have you considered the fact that Roc may have more upside than Barber? I mean, I don't want to take anything away from Barber's heart and his willingness to hit the pile again and again, but his vision is not great and he has no real moves or break away speed. What he has are strong legs, no fear, and as I already mentioned, heart. When Roc is healthy, he has the ability to make people miss and the speed to take it to the house if he gets through the line, every time.

So... before claiming some false favoritism, maybe you might want to consider that, had Roc not spent the year hurt in some fashion or another, that he might have actually been the better back... The bias could, in fact, be yours toward Barber, which is understandable, because he carried the team when everyone else was broken, and he deserves a world of credit for that.

I will say Roc is faster and has great hands and yes he can make people miss in one on one situations but I haven't seen him do anything between the tackles.

He likely never will be a great interior runner because of his size and frame but he really shouldn't be asked to do that very often IMO. Jovon and Kerryon can be a solid 1-2 punch with Roc getting more outside, sweep type runs. Roc is so talented but to this point in 2 years we don't know if he can stay healthy for just a couple games in a row let alone a whole season

He likely never will be a great interior runner because of his size and frame but he really shouldn't be asked to do that very often IMO. Jovon and Kerryon can be a solid 1-2 punch with Roc getting more outside, sweep type runs. Roc is so talented but to this point in 2 years we don't know if he can stay healthy for just a couple games in a row let alone a whole season

Isn't that the truth? People talk about Sean and Carl being injury prone because they each had something major happen, but my #1 concern is Roc. He has one minor injury after another.

Archived