Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

Doesn't matter what he did somewhere else before he came here.....only matters what is going on right now....and the results for the past three years at AU. Just sayin' that development of our young QBs is not sufficient to keep us in the upper echelon of the SEC.

Something has to change....and JMO but going out to find a JUCO where someone else has apparently done the "teaching work" ....and to bring him to AU for next season ? ....that's a plan with no future for AU.

Past 3 years? Have you even seen Nick Marshalls numbers from JUCO to his first year to his second year? Drastic improvements each year. Have you even seen SWs numbers that include a ton of drops by receivers and still had the best 3 game passing streak at AU in 18 years as a red shirt freshman? Good grief I am sick and tired of moronic agendas completely and totally ignoring facts that don't work for their arguments. I've had to stay away from AUF lately because the idiots are taking over. Looks like my break should extend longer. Geez. Outside of JJ, name a single qb that Malzahn coached that didn't do well when he started for a Malzahn coached team. Please just name one more other than JJ or just stop.

Do you have any stats to back up your assertion that NM improved DRASTICALLY as a passer from year 1 to 2 at AU? Key word being drastically. As a JUCO he threw a million interceptions. I attribute that to him being the most dynamic player on his JUCO and trying to do a little too much. You don't have to be Bill Walsh to correct that issue.

I've posted it on this forum multiple times. Don't have time to do it again. Look it up yourself. Stats are available online. Your ignorance on the subject is by choice.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nick Marshall interception drop from JUCO to Auburn wasn't some "miraculous coaching"; it was simply the end result of a dominant run-system which opened up easy pass attempts when we DID throw, as well as a heavily scripted passing offense which didn't ask Marshall to try and pick out his own targets or make any real reads. We did a great job of utilizing Marshall and masking his deficiencies, but that isn't the same as "coaching". At JUCO it is obvious that they just let him go out and play a much more active QB role, which is why they weren't able to "protect" him as well as we did.

The Nick Marshall interception drop from JUCO to Auburn wasn't some "miraculous coaching"; it was simply the end result of a dominant run-system which opened up easy pass attempts when we DID throw, as well as a heavily scripted passing offense which didn't ask Marshall to try and pick out his own targets or make any real reads. We did a great job of utilizing Marshall and masking his deficiencies, but that isn't the same as "coaching". At JUCO it is obvious that they just let him go out and play a much more active QB role, which is why they weren't able to "protect" him as well as we did.

BS

And his improvement in TDs, INTs and yards in his second year? Must have been in spite of coaching trying to ruin him smh

NM had a great group of receivers. It helped him that defenses played to stop Auburn's run which gave him wide open receivers downfield. Coates and Duke were a heck of a duo. Could his numbers been better if he was a better passer? Heck ya. They'd be better if WR's didn't drop it when he finally did get it to em, too. NM running ability helped those great WR's to get open. There are pros and cons to a player. If NM was Cam we would all be satisfied.

And his improvement in TDs, INTs and yards in his second year? Must have been in spite of coaching trying to ruin him smh

Isn't an improvement from Junior to Senior season (and first year to second year in the system) more or less expected? He did "improve", but we also brought back literally the entire receiving core and added Duke Williams for good measure. More weapons + more time in the system should always equal better production. His stats improved, but his actual skill-set remained more or less the same. Note that I didn't actually expect him to improve significantly anyways; Nick Marshall's deficiencies are traits of quarterbacking that typically aren't "coachable", which is why no one in the NFL even bothered to try coaching him up either.

One of the big knocks on NM when we were recruiting him was his high number of INT's. It was explained that his team was behind in a lot of games so he had to take a few gambles in his passes but that his INT number should really improve once he got to Auburn, and it did. Don't know that it was coaching totally as much as it was the kind of passing situations he was in.

Doesn't matter what he did somewhere else before he came here.....only matters what is going on right now....and the results for the past three years at AU. Just sayin' that development of our young QBs is not sufficient to keep us in the upper echelon of the SEC.

Something has to change....and JMO but going out to find a JUCO where someone else has apparently done the "teaching work" ....and to bring him to AU for next season ? ....that's a plan with no future for AU.

Past 3 years? Have you even seen Nick Marshalls numbers from JUCO to his first year to his second year? Drastic improvements each year. Have you even seen SWs numbers that include a ton of drops by receivers and still had the best 3 game passing streak at AU in 18 years as a red shirt freshman? Good grief I am sick and tired of moronic agendas completely and totally ignoring facts that don't work for their arguments. I've had to stay away from AUF lately because the idiots are taking over. Looks like my break should extend longer. Geez. Outside of JJ, name a single qb that Malzahn coached that didn't do well when he started for a Malzahn coached team. Please just name one more other than JJ or just stop.

Do you have any stats to back up your assertion that NM improved DRASTICALLY as a passer from year 1 to 2 at AU? Key word being drastically. As a JUCO he threw a million interceptions. I attribute that to him being the most dynamic player on his JUCO and trying to do a little too much. You don't have to be Bill Walsh to correct that issue.

I've posted it on this forum multiple times. Don't have time to do it again. Look it up yourself. Stats are available online. Your ignorance on the subject is by choice.

I'm not going to pick on Nick 'cause he was a good QB but ...and this is just my opinion....2013 and 2014 were apples and oranges....no similarity in the teams and the passing game....and the running game with Tre in the backfield. No matter which stat is used, Nick was in the middle of SEC QBs.....and most of his improvement from 2013 to 2014 was by virtue of the number of attempts in 2014.

Pull the stats and do the comparison.....http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct/year/2014/id/8/sec-conference

Yeah, you have shown to be ignorant in almost every thread I have encountered you on. His increase in the number of TDs and yards came because he had a lot more attempts to throw in compared to 2013. If he had got an equal number of attempts to throw in 2013, he could've had comparable numbers. He did not DRASTICALLY improved, but he improved nonetheless. His QB completion rate barely improved. Never mind the fact that I actually posted his stats in one of my previous post on this thread. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Yeah, you have shown to be ignorant in almost every thread I have encountered you on. His increase in the number of TDs and yards came because he had a lot more attempts to throw in compared to 2013. If he had got an equal number of attempts to throw in 2013, he could've had comparable numbers. He did not DRASTICALLY improved, but he improved nonetheless. His QB completion rate barely improved. Never mind the fact that I actually posted his stats in one of my previous post on this thread. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Deleted my original reply to this. You're not worth me getting worked up over. You're a spin factory with an agenda and not a single stat or fact to backup you're opinion, so you attempt to discredit actual facts. You're not worth arguing with.

Deleted my original reply to this. You're not worth me getting worked up over. You're a spin factory with an agenda and not a single stat or fact to backup you're opinion, so you attempt to discredit actual facts. You're not worth arguing with.

Literally every time I reply to you I have stats haha.

You said Lousiville was a preseason top 25 team when AU faced them - Wrong

You said Steve Spurrier benched a TON of his QBs - Wrong

You said NM DRASTICALLY improved from year 1 to year 2 - Wrong

I literally posted numbers, names, etc to all of these insertions on every thread. From NMs numbers to Steve Spurriers QBs to Preseason rankings.

I literally posted numbers, names, etc to all of these insertions on every thread. From NMs numbers to Steve Spurriers QBs to Preseason rankings.

Marshall increased td/int ratio from 2.3/1 to 2.8/1, increased yards per attempt and qb rating all while "throwing the ball more" meaning more was asked if him. Doesn't count in your book.

Just google the term "spurrier benches qb".

Louisville may have been right outside the top 25. So I was slightly off on that one minor detail. You're off on everything else. Again though, you don't care the numbers don't add up in your argument. List stats that prove Gus is a bad qb coach or stop talking (typing). I already know the response but spin away anyways. I'm not responding to anymore spinning of facts and we all know that's all you got. No stats that actually back up your stance that Gus is a worse qb coach than anyone else in this league. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Marshall increased td/int ratio from 2.3/1 to 2.8/1, increased yards per attempt and qb rating all while "throwing the ball more" meaning more was asked if him. Doesn't count in your book.

Louisville may have been right outside the top 25. So I was slightly off on that one minor detail. You're off on everything else. Again though, you don't care the numbers don't add up in your argument. List stats that prove Gus is a bad qb coach or stop talking (typing). I already know the response but spin away anyways. I'm not responding to anymore spinning of facts and we all know that's all you got. No stats that actually back up your stance that Gus is a worse qb coach than anyone else in this league. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Haha did he improve drastically or not? The stats doesn't show that. Yes, we asked more of him because he had been under the system for over a year now. DUH. Throwing for more yards does not equate to throwing better. His QB completion rating barely went up. His TD ration did go up, though, I concede that point. He didn't drastically become a better passer, though. He just was given more opportunities to throw the ball. I don't think you know what drastic means.

Just google the term spurrier benches QB smh. I never said Spurrier didn't bench a QB. I said your comment that he benched his QBs a TON is false. It is way off base. In his 26 years of coaching the only ones that come to mind is Stephen Garcia (Not because of talent, but because he was a complete idiot off the field), Terry Dean (who lost his job to a Heisman QB, Danny Wuerffel) and Jesse Palmer/Doug Johnson (However those two were rotating QBs alas Barret and Cardale at tOSU).

Louisville was not a top 25 team EVER. You were just wrong (like usual) again. Before you talk about Idiocy in threads, you might want to get the minor details right in forming a valid opinion.

List stats that prove Gus is a bad QB coach? Hmm, find where I said Gus was a bad QB coach? I dare ya. I just responded to your outrageous statements in comparing him to Spurrier and saying that Nick DRASTICALLY improved. So, your rhetoric is moot. Spurrier has proven time and time again that he can develop a QB. Gus has not done that yet. He is a great schemer, but he has yet to prove that he could develop a QB. Every QB that he has had success with has either been a transfer or was developed by someone else.

Chris Todd - transfer

NM - JUCO Transfer

Cam Newton - Transfer

Aplin - Senior ( Threw for over 2,000 yards his sophomore year and over 3,000 his junior year with Hugh Freeze)

Paul Smith - Tulsa (He threw for over 2,000 yards under coach steve kraghthorpe two times before Todd Graham and Gus got there)

Now, if you want to look at DRASTIC improvements. Look at the numbers of Aplin TD- Int ratio or Paul Smith stats. A 2.3/1 to a 2.8/1 TD ratio is not a drastic improvement. Yards per attempt going from 8.3 to 8.6 is not drastic improvement. NM did improve, but you acting like he became RG3 over one season is ridiculous. One thing I find particularly interesting is NM wanted to be a better passing QB. He wanted to work with George Whitfield Jr, who expressed interest in NM. However Gus nixed that IDEA. Not saying I blame him, but I found it interesting that NM would be open to working with George when he has QB coaches at AU.

I will never say Gus is not an offensive Guru or cannot scheme. You will never hear me utter those words, but it remains to be seen, if he can develop a QB.

This is not a diss to Gus. He has a great offensive scheme that maximizes his QB talent, but he has yet to prove that he can develop a QB. Those are facts.

HUGE MYTH. Chris Todd says hello.

Bro, that was YEARS ago. Back when this offense was still "new" and "mysterious". The offense no longer looks anything like that Chris Todd offense. even with a passing QB (White) at the helm.

Better yet, go back and actually look at that Chris Todd season game to game: Arkansas loss, Kentucky loss, LSU loss, Georgia loss, Alabama loss. In both the Georgia and Alabama games we scored twice in the first quarter and then were stopped entirely for the rest of the game. Kentucky held us to 14 points, and 0 second half points.

People keep talking as if that 2009 offense was elite or something, it wasn't.

NONE of that changes the fact that the offense was light years better in 2009 than it was in 2008 and that Chris Todd set Auburn records that year.

Doesn't change it, but it is virtually meaningless unless our goal is mediocrity

• 2 months later...

Haha did he improve drastically or not? The stats doesn't show that. Yes, we asked more of him because he had been under the system for over a year now. DUH. Throwing for more yards does not equate to throwing better. His QB completion rating barely went up. His TD ration did go up, though, I concede that point. He didn't drastically become a better passer, though. He just was given more opportunities to throw the ball. I don't think you know what drastic means.

Just google the term spurrier benches QB smh. I never said Spurrier didn't bench a QB. I said your comment that he benched his QBs a TON is false. It is way off base. In his 26 years of coaching the only ones that come to mind is Stephen Garcia (Not because of talent, but because he was a complete idiot off the field), Terry Dean (who lost his job to a Heisman QB, Danny Wuerffel) and Jesse Palmer/Doug Johnson (However those two were rotating QBs alas Barret and Cardale at tOSU).

Louisville was not a top 25 team EVER. You were just wrong (like usual) again. Before you talk about Idiocy in threads, you might want to get the minor details right in forming a valid opinion.

List stats that prove Gus is a bad QB coach? Hmm, find where I said Gus was a bad QB coach? I dare ya. I just responded to your outrageous statements in comparing him to Spurrier and saying that Nick DRASTICALLY improved. So, your rhetoric is moot. Spurrier has proven time and time again that he can develop a QB. Gus has not done that yet. He is a great schemer, but he has yet to prove that he could develop a QB. Every QB that he has had success with has either been a transfer or was developed by someone else.

Chris Todd - transfer

NM - JUCO Transfer

Cam Newton - Transfer

Aplin - Senior ( Threw for over 2,000 yards his sophomore year and over 3,000 his junior year with Hugh Freeze)

Paul Smith - Tulsa (He threw for over 2,000 yards under coach steve kraghthorpe two times before Todd Graham and Gus got there)

Now, if you want to look at DRASTIC improvements. Look at the numbers of Aplin TD- Int ratio or Paul Smith stats. A 2.3/1 to a 2.8/1 TD ratio is not a drastic improvement. Yards per attempt going from 8.3 to 8.6 is not drastic improvement. NM did improve, but you acting like he became RG3 over one season is ridiculous. One thing I find particularly interesting is NM wanted to be a better passing QB. He wanted to work with George Whitfield Jr, who expressed interest in NM. However Gus nixed that IDEA. Not saying I blame him, but I found it interesting that NM would be open to working with George when he has QB coaches at AU.

I will never say Gus is not an offensive Guru or cannot scheme. You will never hear me utter those words, but it remains to be seen, if he can develop a QB.

This is not a diss to Gus. He has a great offensive scheme that maximizes his QB talent, but he has yet to prove that he can develop a QB. Those are facts.

Those are solid numbers, and numbers don't lie. There are fans that STLL defend Tubs, STILL defend Chizik, and will always defend Gus regardless what the numbers and results say. But fact is, CGM has NEVER taken a player from high scholl and turned them into anything.

If Gus can't develop a QB, then turn it over to Craig. WTH is the problem with giving that duty to a coach already on staff that has experience?

100% agree.

If Gus can't develop a QB, then turn it over to Craig. WTH is the problem with giving that duty to a coach already on staff that has experience?

100% agree.

As long as he has someone to cover wide receivers while Craig is busy with QBs.

Chris Todd - transfer

NM - JUCO Transfer

Cam Newton - Transfer

Those are solid numbers, and numbers don't lie. There are fans that STLL defend Tubs, STILL defend Chizik, and will always defend Gus regardless what the numbers and results say. But fact is, CGM has NEVER taken a player from high scholl and turned them into anything.

I also thought moving Lashlee too WR coach and Craig to QB coach would make perfect sense.

Assuming Lashlee can coach receivers. They need as much help as any group on our team.

100% agree.

At risk of sounding stupid,

When has Coach Craig ever been asked to cover a WR?

100% agree.

At risk of sounding stupid,

When has Coach Craig ever been asked to cover a WR?

Cover as in cover the coaching of them... he's currently our wide receiver coach.

here we go

Yeah, but

always remember

if we can't play nice together

we can always take our balls and go home.

Archived