Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

Food for thought....In 2010, if Newton goes down injured for the year in the 3rd game (MSU)...how many games do we win?

I'd say off hand we lose MSU, LSU, KY, bama and possibly Arkansas. (7-5). People are underestimating the effect it has on a team when the starting qb is out (JJ is basically out with confidence issues) as well as the backup qb out (SW injured). keep in mind our 3rd string is out with surgery. We're basically attacking Gus for not having a 4th string ready to win the SEC.

I'll add to that, look at 2004, 2010, 2013. We had gamechangers at QB but we also had game changers elsewhere... too many to list. Even in 2012 amidst a terrible season there were flashes of star-players beginning to emerge like Coates for instance.

But getting back on point I think we've lacked outstanding play from other parts of the field besides QB. Ricardo Luis has been very Jeckle/Hyde, Duke didn't care, our fullbacks and running backs are young, and we don't have a tightend threat like we've had with Lutz and Uzomah.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times has a qb posted the numbers cam posted?

The point here is that 1 player that year was the difference between a championship and 5 losses. This year there are 3 different players at the same position basically out injured. Add the fact that rest of the team this year wasn't as good as that one, and it's pretty easy to go 6-6 with what we've faced IMO.

Right and they point is illogical when comparing these guys to literally one of the greatest college players ever as if to say the impact is the same. This team is lacking at more spots than qb. To be honest qb isn't the only missed evaluation coming into the season. We don't have any exceptional playmakers. Best one we have is Robinson and he's been sitting the bench. We're an average team right now

Right and they point is illogical when comparing these guys to literally one of the greatest college players ever as if to say the impact is the same. This team is lacking at more spots than qb. To be honest qb isn't the only missed evaluation coming into the season. We don't have any exceptional playmakers. Best one we have is Robinson and he's been sitting the bench. We're an average team right now

If you think I'm comparing these guys talent level to Cams then you missed the whole point.

If Bentley is doing QBs and only QBs, he's doing a bad job then and really doesn't need to be here

He's not an on-field coach this year, and has not yet been an on-field coach at Auburn. He can't coach QB's. Try to keep up.

Not really necessary to keep up with whatever you're discussing, there's no reason to use him at QB coach either.

Cole and other guy are somewhat saying the same thing. They both recognize Cam was the entire difference in 2010 being good and I think they both acknowledge this team doesn't have any game changers, or at least almost none

I understand this 110%. However, what do we have to do to make sure we can finish our season on a high note? The answer is the QB position. Everything else will fall in place once the QB position is repaired.

Cole and other guy are somewhat saying the same thing. They both recognize Cam was the entire difference in 2010 being good and I think they both acknowledge this team doesn't have any game changers, or at least almost none

I understand this 110%. However, what do we have to do to make sure we can finish our season on a high note? The answer is the QB position. Everything else will fall in place once the QB position is repaired.

Well that should be simple enough.

I remember one recruit said they picked Louisville over Auburn because he had a better chance to be developed as a passer. He was right. Would JJ of had a chance to play for Petrino? If so could he of done anything with him or does he just not have "it".

I remember one recruit said they picked Louisville over Auburn because he had a better chance to be developed as a passer. He was right. Would JJ of had a chance to play for Petrino? If so could he of done anything with him or does he just not have "it".

I would say based on Petrino's vast experience in the NFL and college and his good offensive mind, i would agree. Malzahn is still new in his OC experience, as 3 with CHizik, and now 3 as a HC, compared to Petrino's years...

Doesn't matter what he did somewhere else before he came here.....only matters what is going on right now....and the results for the past three years at AU. Just sayin' that development of our young QBs is not sufficient to keep us in the upper echelon of the SEC.

Something has to change....and JMO but going out to find a JUCO where someone else has apparently done the "teaching work" ....and to bring him to AU for next season ? ....that's a plan with no future for AU.

Just checked he was the OC/WR coach at Arky.. But he brought in Mustain and they didn't let him coach em... Mustain, Frazier, Johnson, didn't pan out. He only had two really freak athletes really work for em at QB and they were juco

Doesn't matter what he did somewhere else before he came here.....only matters what is going on right now....and the results for the past three years at AU. Just sayin' that development of our young QBs is not sufficient to keep us in the upper echelon of the SEC.

Something has to change....and JMO but going out to find a JUCO where someone else has apparently done the "teaching work" ....and to bring him to AU for next season ? ....that's a plan with no future for AU.

Past 3 years? Have you even seen Nick Marshalls numbers from JUCO to his first year to his second year? Drastic improvements each year. Have you even seen SWs numbers that include a ton of drops by receivers and still had the best 3 game passing streak at AU in 18 years as a red shirt freshman? Good grief I am sick and tired of moronic agendas completely and totally ignoring facts that don't work for their arguments. I've had to stay away from AUF lately because the idiots are taking over. Looks like my break should extend longer. Geez. Outside of JJ, name a single qb that Malzahn coached that didn't do well when he started for a Malzahn coached team. Please just name one more other than JJ or just stop.

Just checked he was the OC/WR coach at Arky.. But he brought in Mustain and they didn't let him coach em... Mustain, Frazier, Johnson, didn't pan out. He only had two really freak athletes really work for em at QB and they were juco

So 2 of your 3 are 1 he didn't really coach and one that never started for him. So really you have 1 total right? Top notch argument. This has gotten out of hand.

So 2 of your 3 are 1 he didn't really coach and one that never started for him. So really you have 1 total right? Top notch argument. This has gotten out of hand.

What? Mustain was coached by Gus in high school.. He was outperformed by Casey Dick when Gus was OC at Arky.. Frazier was another bring along QB that Gus did coach, as well as Johnson. Gus wanted all these guys to be his "guy", none panned out.

I'm giving a view that argues the OP's point. Me personally do I believe Gus can coach QB's? No. I believe we should have someone coach the QB's up (Craig or whoever Idc)

Past 3 years? Have you even seen Nick Marshalls numbers from JUCO to his first year to his second year? Drastic improvements each year. Have you even seen SWs numbers that include a ton of drops by receivers and still had the best 3 game passing streak at AU in 18 years as a red shirt freshman? Good grief I am sick and tired of moronic agendas completely and totally ignoring facts that don't work for their arguments. I've had to stay away from AUF lately because the idiots are taking over. Looks like my break should extend longer. Geez. Outside of JJ, name a single qb that Malzahn coached that didn't do well when he started for a Malzahn coached team. Please just name one more other than JJ or just stop.

I'll have to say that is a good argument on qb development and I never understand why people say NM didn't throw the ball any better his second year. I think the thing is that he didn't improve as much as people wanted him to. He was not a master at reading defenses but his passing improved a decent amount by year two.

It is a shame SW got hurt, it would have been interesting to see how much he would have progressed this season. It might have put to rest the lack of qb development talk and it might not have. I hope SW starts next year so we can see how it plays out.

The major beef I've had with the O at times this year has been playcalling. We have done some strange things.

What? Mustain was coached by Gus in high school.. He was outperformed by Casey Dick when Gus was OC at Arky.. Frazier was another bring along QB that Gus did coach, as well as Johnson. Gus wanted all these guys to be his "guy", none panned out.

I'm giving a view that argues the OP's point. Me personally do I believe Gus can coach QB's? No. I believe we should have someone coach the QB's up (Craig or whoever Idc)

I see your point. Gus didn't coach Mustain in college as he wasn't hisn qb coach. Khiel fell apart when playing for Loeffler, not Malzahn. So again, 1 qb he actually coached. Steve Spurrier has a ton of qbs get benched for the backup. He must be a terrible coach as well, huh? It's really pathetic and childish to blame a guy for a couple guys not panning out at the toughest position in sports in the toughest division in sports where the failure rate for 5 stars out of HS is ridiculously high everywhere in the division, all while refusing to give him any credit at all for the ones that did pan out. If this were a courtroom, these cases would be thrown out of court on day 1 due to complete lack of evidence and way too much speculation.

My point is more that at Arky he was not allowed to coach QB's.

Since coaching in college he is yet to develop a QB, more specifically a player brought in as a freshman to learn from Gus. He has had his hand picked guys not work out. The only QB's that have had success are juco QB's and QB's that were already established like Aplin. He's only had one QB for more than a year to coach (as a starter), NM, and as a passer I'd say his development was minimal.

If he brings in another juco guy, that doesn't help either sides case. We need to see him actually develop a QB and we haven't seen that your honor.

Do you have any stats to back up your assertion that NM improved DRASTICALLY as a passer from year 1 to 2 at AU? Key word being drastically. As a JUCO he threw a million interceptions. I attribute that to him being the most dynamic player on his JUCO and trying to do a little too much. You don't have to be Bill Walsh to correct that issue.

Drastically is over the top. He did improve noticeably.

As I imagine he would with a chance to actually play in spring ball and being in the system for over a year. So yes his numbers went up for a variety of reasons. He had much more passing attempts for one compared to 2013 ( 239 v. 293). He also passed the ball 5 more times per game than he did in 2013. He also had a better TD - interception ratio, which is a great stat. He averaged around the same yardages per attempt of passes which was 8-9 yards and 40 yards more per game than in 2013. Ultimately his percentage rating went from 59.4 % to 60.8 %.

So yes, I do agree with you that he did improve.

As I imagine he would with a chance to actually play in spring ball and being in the system for over a year. So yes his numbers went up for a variety of reasons. He had much more passing attempts for one compared to 2013 ( 239 v. 293). He also passed the ball 5 more times per game than he did in 2013. He also had more TDs and fewer interceptions, which is a great stat. He averaged around the same yardages per attempt of passes which was 8-9 yards and 40 yards more per game than in 2013. Ultimately his percentage rating went from 59.4 % to 60.8 %.

He worked on his throwing alot over the summer and I thought he was throwing a slightly nicer ball too. The guy just had so much arm strength, it was hard to harness it.

As I imagine he would with a chance to actually play in spring ball and being in the system for over a year. So yes his numbers went up for a variety of reasons. He had much more passing attempts for one compared to 2013 ( 239 v. 293). He also passed the ball 5 more times per game than he did in 2013. He also had more TDs and fewer interceptions, which is a great stat. He averaged around the same yardages per attempt of passes which was 8-9 yards and 40 yards more per game than in 2013. Ultimately his percentage rating went from 59.4 % to 60.8 %.

He worked on his throwing alot over the summer and I thought he was throwing a slightly nicer ball too. The guy just had so much arm strength, it was hard to harness it.

He got a lot better in his intermediate passes for sure. In 2013, it was either a screen pass to Sammie or a deep throw.

I see your point. Gus didn't coach Mustain in college as he wasn't hisn qb coach. Khiel fell apart when playing for Loeffler, not Malzahn. So again, 1 qb he actually coached. Steve Spurrier has a ton of qbs get benched for the backup. He must be a terrible coach as well, huh? It's really pathetic and childish to blame a guy for a couple guys not panning out at the toughest position in sports in the toughest division in sports where the failure rate for 5 stars out of HS is ridiculously high everywhere in the division, all while refusing to give him any credit at all for the ones that did pan out. If this were a courtroom, these cases would be thrown out of court on day 1 due to complete lack of evidence and way too much speculation.

Again, do you have any data to back up this assertion? Spurrier does get pretty angry and will bench his starter for a series or two when they are not playing to his expectations. We saw this a lot out of Stephen Garcia at USC. He never completely lost his job, though. You also could say the same about Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer. They both tended to switch from starter to non-starter based on how they were playing but to say he had a TON. No..Has he had QBs who have not panned out? Yes. He has had more QBs that have panned out than not, though. I mean come on: Shane Matthews, Connor Shaw, Danny Wuerffel, Rex Grossman, Andy Dilweg, etc. These aren't just good QBs. A handful of these guys are Heisman-caliber QBs. Connor Shaw was the most productive QB at USC and far from a prototypical Spurrier QB. Dilweg was the ACC player of the year at DUKE and still has the single season passing record.

Archived