Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering our recent success with Juco QB's, maybe we should look at offering this young man so we'll have a "backup" plan?

http://www.ibabuzz.c...chdown-machine/

I don't know if we would be interested. If we wouldn't be, I'd love for UAB to get him.

Why shouldn't we be? Let's go after him!

Considering our recent success with Juco QB's, maybe we should look at offering this young man so we'll have a "backup" plan?

http://www.ibabuzz.c...chdown-machine/

I don't know if we would be interested. If we wouldn't be, I'd love for UAB to get him.

Why shouldn't we be? Let's go after him!

I don't know, I'm sure someone over at the recruiting board could say.

Haven't we offered one of the top QB/ATH in JUCO this year already?

Think he's listed on rivals as athlete but has been playing QB at his JUCO.

One of the differences in Jerod is he's a QB listed as only a QB. At 6'4" and 225lbs he has the frame to be a durable DT QB and his 38 TDs and only 3 INTs and over 3,000 yards passing on the season shows he can sling the rock. He has 2 years to play 2. Not sure of a downside to offering him.

Boloney and more baloney. Gus has totally lost his way and has no idea who he is. A stable of 2 great running backs (we got 1 not two) and he cannot figure out what to do when he cannot throw that ball? My 10 year old knows there are only 2 phases to the offensive game (Your son should also know then that success in 1 phase is a lot of times predicated on the threat or perceived threat of success with the other phase). I'm so very tired of hearing the excuse that we simply don't have an effective QB. This is a play calling and players used problem.

AND putting in Sean while holding out Tray for an ankle shows poor poor judgement for O players safety and desperation while the D side knows what is important.

So, what's your solution? Fire Gus? Last season our defense cost us many games and the head coach made changes. Now the defense is getting better but still cost us a couple wins this season. I try and see the point of view that Gus is washed up but it's not true. Does he make questionable calls in games? Yes. I scratch my head sometimes along with everyone else. Unfortunately, play calls that players don't execute get misdiagnosed as bad coaching or bad play calling. Gus will be here next year, the offense will be rolling and the defense will be rocking and all this fire Gus nonsense will all be forgotten. I done. War Eagle

Agreed TBone, bad seasons happen now and then.

And doomsayers are doomsayers, because... they say doom. :)

Bad seasons do happen, even with the best coaches, and Gus will be back next year and he should be. But ratcheting down the record in yrs 2 and 3 is disturbing. He needs a big improvement next year or things will be getting very toasty.

Tbone--with next year's schedule, how do you see us doing any better? With the SEC down this year, we had a GAPING opportunity that Gus completely blew. Next year the conference is loaded--oh and Clemson. We HAVE to go at least 9-4 next year.

Gus isn't a QB developer, that's true. Have they figured out Gus's scheme, yes, most fans know what we are going to do on each play (I'm sure the high paid coaches have a good idea what he will be running). It falls on execution some too. Bammer we know will run the ball but teams still can't stop it.

He was suppose to adjust to his talent and he's failed at that ( or blame Rhet). Next year the offense will be better, I trust he gets it figured out. The added experience will help out big. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ nor SW are part of the big plans next year.

Gus isn't a QB developer, that's true. Have they figured out Gus's scheme, yes, most fans know what we are going to do on each play (I'm sure the high paid coaches have a good idea what he will be running). It falls on execution some too. Bammer we know will run the ball but teams still can't stop it.

He was suppose to adjust to his talent and he's failed at that ( or blame Rhet). Next year the offense will be better, I trust he gets it figured out. The added experience will help out big. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ not SW are part of the big plans next year.

"He was suppose to adjust to his talent and he's failed at that ( or blame Rhet). Next year the offense will be better, I trust he gets it figured out. The added experience will help out big. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ not SW are part of the big plans next year."

You had me until this last paragraph

He was suppose to adjust to his talent and he's failed at that ( or blame Rhet). Next year the offense will be better, I trust he gets it figured out. The added experience will help out big. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ not SW are part of the big plans next year.

"He was suppose to adjust to his talent and he's failed at that ( or blame Rhet). Next year the offense will be better, I trust he gets it figured out. The added experience will help out big. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ not SW are part of the big plans next year."

adjusting talent is difficult when you figure out you don't have it. The main thing i blame coach for is not figuring out jj sooner. But you entered a season with high expectations for offense even replacing 8 starters based on this nfl qb. And maybe the best wr in the nation. The qb thrns out to be a complete mental disaster, the wr gone. So he was "adjusting" with a red shirt freshman qb and doing pretty well when he got injured. Back to the nfl guy who can't really throw or run. Yes play calling has not been good. For auburn to succeed it has to be perfect under these circumstances.

Just noticed the last sentence was suppose to be "nor" instead of " not".

I'm serious. Very likely JJ isn't "the guy". Now SW is a player but like many have stated that Gus seems to do better with a dual threat QB. So it's possible SW isn't the starter.

We have a quality QB coach on staff just spinning his wheels coaching WRs

We have no idea whether he can coach QBs or not....he played QB a long time ago...but playing and coaching is not the same thing....which goes for RL of course ....or CGM....Unfortunately

We have no idea whether he can coach QBs or not....he played QB a long time ago...but playing and coaching is not the same thing....which goes for RL of course ....or CGM....Unfortunately

You may want to give FSU a heads up, they didn't get the memo. LOL

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=209587828

So we're just going to ignore what he did at fsu just....because what?

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

Excellent post Mikey.

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

SW had no business playing today. That's on Gus. Abandoning the run for multiple drives when averaging 8 yds per carry, that's on gus/rhett. JR with 2 touches in the 2nd half after averaging 8 yds in the first half, that's on g/r.

People on this thread discrediting SW aren't using common sense. He looked 60-70% at best. We'll have to see him healthy against a top d before we know how good he is.

We need a big change on O. Soon.

Hard to argue with this.

It's ok to admit that Gus was out coached a game....it's just real life....it's going to happen sometimes in the future as well....it'll be ok

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble" towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

Maybe I misread, but I did not think Mikey was giving anyone a pass on the game plan. He was responding to the OP which was about the QB.

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble" towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

Maybe I misread, but I did not think Mikey was giving anyone a pass on the game plan. He was responding to the OP which was about the QB.

We must've misread it in exactly the same way.

4 out of the 5 highest scoring offenses in Auburn history have been coached by Gus Malzahn, but sure lets get rid of him..... geniuses... and yes before you try to act like you're smart I know we didn't always play 12 games. Still Tuberville's highest scoring output was 417 points in 2004. Gus has 4 seasons at Auburn where his offense has put up AT LEAST 417 points. Just to put that into perspective.

I know your next question too. My answer to that is. If all Gus Mazahn needs is a JUCO QB to field an elite offense then by all means lets go get him a JUCO QB. It got us more National TItles than whatever Pat Dye was doing.

Oh and 2 out of our 3 highest scoring offenses of all time. Guess who was OC? Lashlee. He was on the staff for the other one by the way.

But some people prefer to make judgments on a smaller sample size and ultimately if you aren't willing to look at the bigger picture then maybe you are beyond reason.

Interesting. Question is: did he suddenly lose it? Or is something much larger and perhaps more obvious at play?

It's ok to admit that Gus was out coached a game....it's just real life....it's going to happen sometimes in the future as well....it'll be ok

yep

Agreed.

I second this.

We must've misread it in exactly the same way.

True. It was more of a cumulative response. Mikey refuses (from what I have seen) to place any blame whatsoever on Gus and Rhett's playcalling and running of the offense for any of the offensive shortcomings in any of the games as far as I have seen. Everytime he addresses the subject he lays it off on the lack of us having an adequate qb and that's not Gus' fault and everything will be fine next year. Correct me if I am wrong Mikey.

I probably dodn't pick the best post to make my response to. I can understand the confusion.

So we're just going to ignore what he did at fsu just....because what?

Well he coached Jameis....I could have coached Jameis....like saying that Gus coached Cam ...which is probably what happened.....and meanwhile, when Jameis was gone, who did FSU have waiting.....oh yeah ?.....Coker.

Not saying CDC would not be an improvement....but ???? and of course we could get a WR coach which might be a step up there too.

Something to think about I guess.

Archived