Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

you should know by now that bashing the players is not acceptable here. Take that crap somewhere else.

Yes, metafour, mental issues. You said it yourself "Top 100 recruit with NFL physical tools..." Yet he can't hit the broad side of a barn 10 yards downfield. That's not coaching, that's a mental problem. Before he was injured Sean White had three straight 250 yard+ passing games. Who coached that?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it on another thread and I'll repeatbit here. If I were currently a high ranked qb (either DT or pro), Gus would have a hard time selling me on his offense, especially if I wanted to play pro ball. Qb's in our system can't audible. They have to look at the sideline and be told when to snap the ball ( insert Gus pointing at the ground joke here). Also, how many QB's does he have in the NFL? How many qb's that now play DB does he have in the NFL? I think it's a dead heat. Just my thoughts.

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

you should know by now that bashing the players is not acceptable here. Take that crap somewhere else.

Yes, metafour, mental issues. You said it yourself "Top 100 recruit with NFL physical tools..." Yet he can't hit the broad side of a barn 10 yards downfield. That's not coaching, that's a mental problem. Before he was injured Sean White had three straight 250 yard+ passing games. Who coached that?

I think Meta has some points here. Lacking solid fundamentals, JJ has the ability to be erratic. Being erratic has helped lead to his snowballing mental issues. JJ looks about as fundamentally sound as he was coming out of high school. So does SW - he was just much more polished when he got on campus. Gus famously saying that only HE knows how to coach HIS QBs sounds pretty true.

Ken Mastreole.

Just to clarify for some folks..."mental issues" does not mean he's crazy...but there have been several major league players who just could not make an easy throw....for example, from 2nd base to first.....Chuck Knoblauch developed that problem....more of a mental block....and that INT from JJ looked just like what that major league player experienced until they moved him to another position. Throw was not even close to the intended target.

That kind of problem is an establish fact.....just wondering if a little hypnotism could help?

Just to clarify for some folks..."mental issues" does not mean he's crazy...but there have been several major league players who just could not make an easy throw....for example, from 2nd base to first.....Chuck Knoblauch developed that problem....more of a mental block....and that INT from JJ looked just like what that major league player experienced until they moved him to another position. Throw was not even close to the intended target.

That kind of problem is an establish fact.....just wondering if a little hypnotism could help?

Apples to oranges comparison, man. Chuck might've couldn't make the easy throw, but he could do a lot of other things right. Unfortunately, JJ is not doing many other things right and I think it is much more a confidence issue than anything else. Also, Chuck didn't always have this issue but it grew later on as his baseball career progressed. People base who JJ would become off of one half of football against an Arkansas team, who was not prepared to face JJ.

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble" towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble" towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

I agree in general with your post, but here's the problem:

Name an OC that would come into a system and not be allowed to institute his offense. He will have to run Gus's offense and put new wrinkles into it. To put it frankly, this person would not be a coach but rather a consultant. No one with any ambition of long term success would be willing to do that.

Gus must be willing to CHANGE his offense to match a new OC. This situation wreaks of what occurred b/w Gus and Nutt. Gus was merely a consultant. That's why he left.

[quote name=AUwent' timestamp='1447535139'

post='2369616]

So why haven't we recruited a "dual-threat QB?"

We recruit them, just haven't sighed them.

looking back, i think Gus talked up Jeremy up too much and it hurt in more ways

than unreasonable expectations. It may have also scared off other would be signees who didn't want to sit behind this nfl lock for two years.

Absolutely. The kid at Clemson and the one at LSU are both starters whereas they were thinking at AU they would not see the field until 2017. Instead Watson at Clemson is headed to the playoff and probably will be in the NFL in 2017.

Agreed.

I second this.

Name an OC that would come into a system and not be allowed to institute his offense. He will have to run Gus's offense and put new wrinkles into it. To put it frankly, this person would not be a coach but rather a consultant. No one with any ambition of long term success would be willing to do that.

Gus must be willing to CHANGE his offense to match a new OC. This situation wreaks of what occurred b/w Gus and Nutt. Gus was merely a consultant. That's why he left.

Agreed. Gus neds to find someone who runs an offense he really likes and then hire a psychiatrist to help him learn to let go of the smaller things and become a head coach.

We can run an offense similar to ours. People are winning big in big conferences with them. See OSU last year.

Who really knows what's going on with the offense but it is scary to see coaches thinking that a gimpy SW was a step-up at QB during a crucial time in the game.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but SW is being badly miss-used .....playing him while he is gimpy is just setting him up for a bigger injury because he is not quick enough to avoid the rush and get out of trouble.

Sure his knee might not be at risk for worse damage but to have him back there as a sitting duck when everyone in the stadium knows his limits. Some big DE or LB is going to crush him and ruin his shoulder or elbow with a big hit.....that's unconscionable IMO.

This season is going nowhere....might as well protect the kid's health and go back to Wallace or run the old single wing with Kerryon or Jason.

Agreed.

Seriously though did you see some of those routes against blitzes where two guys were running free? Unless you're counting on your qb to be able to make 3 guys miss I don't care who you have at qb

[quote name=tiger88' timestamp='1447600066'

post='2370397]

[quote name=Mikey' timestamp='1447558944'

post='2370221]

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in

America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-

doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they

had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble"

towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a

shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game

because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a

great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is

it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

Name an OC that would come into a system and

not be allowed to institute his offense. He will have to run Gus's offense and put new wrinkles into it. To put it frankly, this person would not be a coach but rather a consultant. No one with any ambition of long term success would be willing to do that.

Gus must be willing to CHANGE his offense to

match a new OC. This situation wreaks of what occurred b/w Gus and Nutt. Gus was merely a consultant. That's why he left.

I'm sorry but that is not right. Every HC has an area of experience and philosphy on one sideof the ball. Do you think Saban is going to hire a DC that changes his defensive philosphy? Or a Art Bryles at Baylor change his O for a coordnator? Even Gene Chizik had a defensive philosophy his DC agreed with.

Nearly every head coach had a their own philosophy as a coordinator that was successful. That is why they are a HC.

Gus uses the talent he has available.

The term "dual-threat" implies an added element to the offense!

Gus has used the running threat of every dual-threat he's had. So yeah, the offense is better with a true dual-threat. Should be pretty obvious.

But "can" the offense be effective without one? I think yes. Over his years of coaching, Gus has adapted many times. I don't think he forgot how. For now, I am content calling this year's offense an anomaly and eagerly anticipating a much better offense next year combined with a very good defense for the first time in a long time!!!

not be allowed to institute his offense. He will have to run Gus's offense and put new wrinkles into it. To put it frankly, this person would not be a coach but rather a consultant. No one with any ambition of long term success would be willing to do that.

match a new OC. This situation wreaks of what occurred b/w Gus and Nutt. Gus was merely a consultant. That's why he left.

I'm sorry but that is not right. Every HC has an area of experience and philosphy on one sideof the ball. Do you think Saban is going to hire a DC that changes his defensive philosphy? Or a Art Bryles at Baylor change his O for a coordnator? Even Gene Chizik had a defensive philosophy his DC agreed with.

Nearly every head coach had a their own philosophy as a coordinator that was successful. That is why they are a HC.

Gus needs to do some serious reckoning and decide what to do. We need a higher level of big time cfb level experience on our O staff afa overall management and playcalling goes.

I would think it would be hard to find a proven person to come in and learn his system and run it. When they went over the passing schemes, they'd probably walk out at that point thinking, "that is some stupid ####." However, I am guessing, maybe he could.

It just seems like with the gus and rhett plan, it's wait every 10 years for the stars to align and no one to get hurt and we get that once in a decade qb and we are on for a great year!

Yet, we see OSU win it all with their 3rd string qb playing his 2nd game last year. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Looks like some teams have not just a plan b, but a plan c, and perhaps beyond.

Gus needs help.

Agreed.

I second this.

I agree with #1, 88. Here is what CGM had to say about putting in SW and leaving him in:

“We knew we were going to play both quarterbacks. We made that call before the game and just felt like that was a good time to put him in there. We felt like we had some good opportunities in the passing game. We went three-and-out and it obviously didn’t work out, but that was our thought process.”

The mistake, to me, was making that call before the game. SW should never have been put in the game in the first place. We would have been better off sticking with JJ and utilizing the plan we used against aTm, or even using KJ and running the wildcat for a series or two.

Instead, we had a plan to play SW before the game started. We executed that plan. When it didn't work, we were unable to adjust. It was a bad plan; once it became obvious it was a bad plan -- which, I agree, was very early on, if not before the game started -- we should have changed the plan; our inability to adjust to the reality of the situation is troubling.

Look, I get that from an Xs and 0s standpoint we should have been able to throw the ball with success. But we couldn't. At all. So, we needed not to continue to try to do something we obviously were incapable of doing.

Britt, it is disturbing. People bust on saban for gameday coaching. This is a supreme example of a complete lack of gameday coaching. It's like we can't process what's happening on the field in real time. It's like like not throwing on 1st down against arky when they suck on 1st down pass d, so we run it up the gut everytime for 1-2 yds so we can face 2nd and long. Very perplexing stuff. I could go on, but I won't.

Britt, it is disturbing. People bust on saban for gameday coaching. This is a supreme example of a complete lack of gameday coaching. It's like we can't process what's happening on the field in real time. It's like like not throwing on 1st down against arky when they suck on 1st down pass d, so we run it up the gut everytime for 1-2 yds so we can face 2nd and long. Very perplexing stuff. I could go on, but I won't.

It's sad, and I think we could all go on.

What's perplexing is that this sort of inability to adjust seems like an anomaly.

At least, we are used to seeing our offense be successful. We could be looking at only 1 loss right now had our offense been up to par. So, what gives? I realize that we are missing some players.

1. No dual-threat QB (whether anyone agrees that's necessary for Gus, it's indisputable that we don't have one now).

2. No tight end.

3. No reliable deep threat (whether that's because the receivers can't catch or the QB can't throw).

4. No reliable possession receiving threat (see above).

But Gus is supposed to be able to adjust to the players he has. I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing him come up with a plan pregame, then sticking with it, whether it's working or not. Why?

It baffles me that they evaluated SW this week and thought he was good to go against an SEC team, or any team for that matter. I would assume they'd ask him to run certain plays to see how effective he was and get him to run, cut, etc to gauge his scrambling ability should he need to during the game. I do not understand what they could have possibly seen this past week that made them decide to make him a part of the game plan and risk sustaining a more devastating injury.

It baffles me that they evaluated SW this week and thought he was good to go against an SEC team, or any team for that matter. I would assume they'd ask him to run certain plays to see how effective he was and get him to run, cut, etc to gauge his scrambling ability should he need to during the game. I do not understand what they could have possibly seen this past week that made then decide to make him a part of the game plan and risk sustaining a more devastating injury.

I agree with this. I also agreed with Mikey, though, that the coaches are in a bind with our current QB situation. I still think the best option was to leave JJ in and adjust to what he can do.

[quote name=tiger88' timestamp='1447600066'

post='2370397]

[quote name=Mikey' timestamp='1447558944'

post='2370221]

It's hard to be a good QB coach when you don't have a healthy QB. We have three on the team. Sean White has a bad knee, Tyler Queen is recovering from arm surgery and JJ has some weird mental issue. There's not a coach in

America that could have good QB play in that situation.

You don't like it, I don't like it and Gus doesn't like it but that's what has happened. Unless you think Gus took a hammer and ruined White's knee and Queen's arm and paid to have a voo-

doo hex put on JJ, it's no more Gus's fault than it is the fault of any poster here.

Agreed.

I second this.

This is a large pile of coaching apologist doo doo. Let's forgive poor old gus and rhett they

had no qb. They got one with ptsd and one with a shot up leg. Here are the reasons why your attempt at excusing our ineptness are ridiculous:

1. It was clear to the most casual observer after SW's 1st pass when he had to "run/hobble"

towards the sideline" that he wasn't healthy enough to play, period. Yet, he was left in for many more series of COMPLETE OFFENSIVE FAILURE. I don't believe we got a 1st down with him in the game. That is horrific coaching.

2. After the 2015 Sean White UGA Coaching Fiasco (that coaching clusterf### really deserves it's own name) all is obviously lost as we have to put JJ back in. Rhett and Gus probably preferred a forfeit at this point since they would rather play a one legged qb than JJ, but they gave it a

shot. BUT WAIT!!! We can still run the ball the 8 yd avg was not a fluke. We proceed to march back down the field and barring louis ill timed GL fumble would have had a lengthy td drive.

3. Giving gus and rhett a pass on this game

because "they didn't have a qb" is one of the lamest apologist excuses I have ever heard in my life. Would a better qb have helped? Probably. Did we have PLENTY of what we needed to win the game? Yes. Did the coaches do what they almost always do and call 1/2 a

great game and 1/2 of an enigma gameplan that leaves the football world scratching their heads? Yes.

4. Gus needs help on O. It's not rhett's fault he needs help, it's Gus'. Gus has plan A and that is

it. When plan A doesn't work, we're all screwed. He needs to get a proven OC that is not head coach hungry to come in here and download anout 10-20 years of top tier cfb knowledge into his brain. If we get a new OC I hope they can find a dod position for Rhett at AU if that's what he wants.

i understand your argument, sure, head coaches get the job Bc they work themselves to that position. But based on what the sample size you provided: Saban runs his defense. Do you really think Smart is the architect? Briles Oc left last yr. ironically, his offense is exactly the same this year. Let's not bring up Chizik. Just throw that argument in a ditch.

"Georgia scored 17 of its 20 points during the time span White played quarterback. Johnson wasn't playing well, but the decision to bench him changed momentum in the game."

Doesn't seem like Gus is a head coach either

White missing the tackle on that punt return...unforgivable....

Yes, metafour, mental issues. You said it yourself "Top 100 recruit with NFL physical tools..." Yet he can't hit the broad side of a barn 10 yards downfield. That's not coaching, that's a mental problem.

Jeremy Johnson made zero obvious "mental" mistakes yesterday. Throwing a ball two feet over a receiver's head isn't mental; it is mechanical and it stems from his complete breakdown of mechanics. His mechanics have been a known problem since HS, which obviously haven't been rectified here.

Before he was injured Sean White had three straight 250 yard+ passing games. Who coached that?

Ken Mastrole, who has been serving as his personal QB coach since the 8th grade. Who is Ken Mastrole? He played QB in college and had stints on NFL rosters as well as other professional leagues. We already knew that Sean White had outstanding fundamentals because these things were obvious and praised upon repeatedly at the Elite 11 (by OTHER former NFL QB's like Trent Dilfer) long before he ever stepped foot on campus. You think HS superstars Malzahn and Lashlee taught Sean White how to play the position LOL? Malzahn is an X's and O's coach, he's not a "QB Guru" and it is becoming clear that he's not even that great at evaluating talent. His strength is drawing up plays and scripting plays in a manner which opens up the defense. Lashlee was gifted his "position" on the basis that "he knows what Malzahn wants to do better than anyone", apart from that he really hasn't proven a damn thing himself.

Meta, I know you are arguing to Mikey's statement that its "not coaching", but I do think you can attribute some of Johnson's poor mechanics to his mental make-up. When you are scared to get hit, and you rush decisions, your mechanics suffer. His overthrow to Stevens yesterday was a rushed thrown. Mechanical yes, but he didn't even have a good grip on the ball, and decided to wing it. That's a mental mistake exacerbated by poor mechanics. I'm not arguing that the coaches have done a good job with him, or that he has good mechanics and its purely mental. Its a combination of both.

Archived