Gus is a not a QB coach

Lowrider

We have a quality QB coach on staff just spinning his wheels coaching WRs

We have no idea whether he can coach QBs or not....he played QB a long time ago...but playing and coaching is not the same thing....which goes for RL of course ....or CGM....Unfortunately

So we're just going to ignore what he did at fsu just....because what?

Well he coached Jameis....I could have coached Jameis....like saying that Gus coached Cam ...which is probably what happened.....and meanwhile, when Jameis was gone, who did FSU have waiting.....oh yeah ?.....Coker.

Not saying CDC would not be an improvement....but ???? and of course we could get a WR coach which might be a step up there too.

Something to think about I guess.

Well he did coach EJ Manuel...#16 overall draft pick in 2013....but is he the real coach there? It's similar to Rhett and everyone knowing the offense is really Gus's...everyone knows Jimbo coaches the qbs. So while on paper his time at FSU looks great, how sure are we that he gets the credit there? I really don't know. I'm sure Gus has figured it out by now and knows whether DC can properly coach a qb or be an oc. The rest of us are relegated to debate without knowing for sure. Such is life on a message board ;D

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have no idea whether he can coach QBs or not....he played QB a long time ago...but playing and coaching is not the same thing....which goes for RL of course ....or CGM....Unfortunately

Well he coached Jameis....I could have coached Jameis....like saying that Gus coached Cam ...which is probably what happened.....and meanwhile, when Jameis was gone, who did FSU have waiting.....oh yeah ?.....Coker.

Not saying CDC would not be an improvement....but ???? and of course we could get a WR coach which might be a step up there too.

Something to think about I guess.

Don't forget E.J. Manuel. How much credit does DC get if Coker wins the CFB playoff? And, he can't make a QB any worse over time than Malzahn/Lashlee have proven they can. Definitely food for thought.

Fisher coaches the QB's at FSU.

So Craig was title only. No I'm sorry, tired of seeing that. People like to pick and choose who gets what credit. He was just a show piece whereas all these other young coaches gets credit for their crafts. That's bull

So Craig was title only. No I'm sorry, tired of seeing that. People like to pick and choose who gets what credit. He was just a show piece whereas all these other young coaches gets credit for their crafts. That's bull

I do think that DC helped Fisher but Fisher has always coached his QB's. I have no idea if DC can coach QB's. He was not hired at AU to coach QB's. And Gus has brought in Bentley to be the QB coach. No slight to DC. DC is my all time favorite to wear the Orange and Blue. Great guy and coach.

Well supposedly Gus was a qb coach but if Bentley comes in and does a great job I don't imagine people will say it's actually Gus. That's just my point on how it's unfair not to give this man his credit like everyone else gets

I do think that DC helped Fisher but Fisher has always coached his QB's. I have no idea if DC can coach QB's. He was not hired at AU to coach QB's. And Gus has brought in Bentley to be the QB coach. No slight to DC. DC is my all time favorite to wear the Orange and Blue. Great guy and coach.

i don't know or care who gets credit for what but i'm with you. #16 was my all time favorite.

I believe some people here only follow former players as long as they serve a purpose to Auburn. Once they're gone, there goes the willingness to actually update what you know about them.

Let's just say for a second that Fisher is responsible for the QBs success at FSU, Craig was still working with them closely per his FSU coaching bio. Fisher, as a HC doesn't have time to put all the 1 on 1 time with QBs or go through QB specific film sessions regularly, so DC was doing that I'm assuming. And the combination of Fisher + Craig has sent more QBs to the NFL in their short stint together at FSU than Auburn has since the entire modern era of Auburn football (maybe even reaching further back). So just by Craig's association with Fisher and learning on how to coach QBs up from college to the NFL is already a step up from who we have coaching QBs on the roster right now.

Let's just say for a second that Fisher is responsible for the QBs success at FSU, Craig was still working with them closely per his FSU coaching bio. Fisher, as a HC doesn't have time to put all the 1 on 1 time with QBs or go through QB specific film sessions regularly, so DC was doing that I'm assuming. And the combination of Fisher + Craig has sent more QBs to the NFL in their short stint together at FSU than Auburn has since the entire modern era of Auburn football (maybe even reaching further back). So just by Craig's association with Fisher and learning on how to coach QBs up from college to the NFL is already a step up from who we have coaching QBs on the roster right now.

When FSU hired Craig as "QB Coach", they already had Travis Trickett (current Samford OC and QB Coach) as a GA on staff working with the quarterbacks. Trickett would leave for Samford after Craig's first year, but the point is that at these big programs a lot of the coaching actually goes on behind the scenes. Trickett was a student assistant at WVU where he learned under Rich Rodrguez his final two years (working with Pat White), then he went to Alabama as a GA under Saban wherein he worked with John Parker Wilson, before jumping to FSU where he worked with Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel.

If Bentley is doing QBs and only QBs, he's doing a bad job then and really doesn't need to be here

He's not an on-field coach this year, and has not yet been an on-field coach at Auburn. He can't coach QB's. Try to keep up.

When FSU hired Craig as "QB Coach", they already had Travis Trickett (current Samford OC and QB Coach) as a GA on staff working with the quarterbacks. Trickett would leave for Samford after Craig's first year, but the point is that at these big programs a lot of the coaching actually goes on behind the scenes. Trickett was a student assistant at WVU where he learned under Rich Rodrguez his final two years (working with Pat White), then he went to Alabama as a GA under Saban wherein he worked with John Parker Wilson, before jumping to FSU where he worked with Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel.

I understand there's more to it than QB Coach coaching these guys as it seems to be a group effort. I just think his experience in working with guys who have all gotten NFL contracts would be more helpful than Lashlee's experience working with Cam as the only guy he's worked with that went to the NFL. Good info though, it's good to know.

I understand there's more to it than QB Coach coaching these guys as it seems to be a group effort. I just think his experience in working with guys who have all gotten NFL contracts would be more helpful than Lashlee's experience working with Cam as the only guy he's worked with that went to the NFL. Good info though, it's good to know.

lashlee worked with receivers when Cam was here.

Food for thought....In 2010, if Newton goes down injured for the year in the 3rd game (MSU)...how many games do we win?

I'd say off hand we lose MSU, LSU, KY, bama and possibly Arkansas. (7-5). People are underestimating the effect it has on a team when the starting qb is out (JJ is basically out with confidence issues) as well as the backup qb out (SW injured). keep in mind our 3rd string is out with surgery. We're basically attacking Gus for not having a 4th string ready to win the SEC.

Nope. The QB coach is not a "on the field" coach yet.

In your opinion, will he be an "on the field " coach next season?

Food for thought....In 2010, if Newton goes down injured for the year in the 3rd game (MSU)...how many games do we win?

I'd say off hand we lose MSU, LSU, KY, bama and possibly Arkansas. (7-5). People are underestimating the effect it has on a team when the starting qb is out (JJ is basically out with confidence issues) as well as the backup qb out (SW injured). keep in mind our 3rd string is out with surgery. We're basically attacking Gus for not having a 4th string ready to win the SEC.

You're using cam to generally talk about losing a qb....Ohio st lost two of them and won a championship...

You're using cam to generally talk about losing a qb....Ohio st lost two of them and won a championship...

And how many other times in history has that ever happened?

Archived