Staff Changes

fredst

The last word was that the focus was on a current SEC coach. Has the Roof conversation surfaced due to the SEC coach not being interested or Roof pursuing Malzahn?

You can talk to multiple coaches when looking for a new coach. Diaz was interested. Gus likes Roof but I'm not sure who reached out to who.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these guys in the discussion have spent a year here or two years there......and few of them have ever had to build their defensive roster....most worked with what they found. To give credit or blame for recruiting his own players is questionable.

Comparisons with what Chiz did at UNC this season ? what's that about....he inherited a bunch of guys who had given up 60 points a few times last year and filled in with a bunch of freshmen....and yet was a key factor in getting the team to the ACC championship. On the other hand, CWM looked no better than Johnson until he was able to get Lawson on the field....and now he's gone....he did nothing meaningful in the way of recruiting and whoever comes in will get a mishmash of Johnson and Muschamp recruits who were recruited for two thoroughly different defenses.

My heart goes out to whoever takes the AU job because he's probably doomed to failure....and might consider renting for his first season. Whoever comes here will have to win with the players he inherits...and if he can't make a meaningful improvement, he will be gone before he can even bring enough players to make a difference. JMO

With today's reports, I am guessing that Chavis or Shannon or not options. Correct?

What reports on them? I have not seen anything say they are or are not targets. W/ all the turmoil @ TAMU I could see someone make a run @ Chavis. I hope it's us but he also may be in a contract that is tough to get out of since he is in year 1.

All these guys in the discussion have spent a year here or two years there......and few of them have ever had to build their defensive roster....most worked with what they found. To give credit or blame for recruiting his own players is questionable.

Comparisons with what Chiz did at UNC this season ? what's that about....he inherited a bunch of guys who had given up 60 points a few times last year and filled in with a bunch of freshmen....and yet was a key factor in getting the team to the ACC championship. On the other hand, CWM looked no better than Johnson until he was able to get Lawson on the field....and now he's gone....he did nothing meaningful in the way of recruiting and whoever comes in will get a mishmash of Johnson and Muschamp recruits who were recruited for two thoroughly different defenses.

My heart goes out to whoever takes the AU job because he's probably doomed to failure....and might consider renting for his first season. Whoever comes here will have to win with the players he inherits...and if he can't make a meaningful improvement, he will be gone before he can even bring enough players to make a difference. JMO

Thank you for that big pile of poop you just capped all over this thread. My day is richer for having read it.

At this point I have no clue who the DC will be. I will say I don't think it will be any of the 4 discussed the past couple of days. Diaz looks to be staying @ Miss St. As meta pointed out Grantham makes $1.4 mil @ Louisville & I don't see AU paying that much for him. Tom Allen seems to have lost steam. Lastly I don't see the PTB signing off on bringing Roof back.

If Gus hires Roof it will be a sad day. Not because Roof is a bad coach, but because it will reek of desperation and bad karma. I mean all this long searching process to raise the curtain and there stands Ted Roof? To me that is a clusterf$$$. Heads everywhere will be scratched.

At this point I have no clue who the DC will be. I will say I don't think it will be any of the 4 discussed the past couple of days. Diaz looks to be staying @ Miss St. As meta pointed out Grantham makes $1.4 mil @ Louisville & I don't see AU paying that much for him. Tom Allen seems to have lost steam. Lastly I don't see the PTB signing off on bringing Roof back.

So Chavis or Shannon then? Works for me ;D

Back the truck up for Chavis. I live about an hour from CS, I will go help him pack if needed.

We are in a sad state of affairs if this is the case. Could you EVER during saban's tenure at bama hear the conversation that he couldn't hire the DC he wanted because their PTB wouldn't sign off on it??!!!! I wouldn't blame Gus one iota if he got the heck out of Dodge as soon as he could. He should 100% hire whoever he wants and then sink or swim with his choice.

Chavis will be quite expensive btw..

Per Wikipedia

"A&M Edit

The day of LSU's 2014 Music City Bowl loss to Notre Dame, Chavis turned down a 3-year 5.4 million dollar[7] offer from Les Miles. That same day, it was reported that Chavis had accepted an offer from Texas A&M to take their then vacant defensive coordinator position.[8] He officially signed a contract to accept the position on February 12, 2015, which guaranteed him $1.5 million in 2015, $1.55 million in 2016 and $1.6 million in 2017, not including potential bonuses.[9]"

What the hell does "Pass The Buck" have to do with anything?

They need to add a year to the contract of Gus, it sends the message that there is some security to a potential DC. At least, he would have 2 years to fix a situation that will probably be worse next year (graduates/NFL departures) before we see any improvement.

What the hell does "Pass The Buck" have to do with anything?

How do you propose we pay the new DC unless we pass them???? :-)

so I am guessing it being done by the end of the week is not likely

They need to add a year to the contract of Gus, it sends the message that there is some security to a potential DC. At least, he would have 2 years to fix a situation that will probably be worse next year (graduates/NFL departures) before we see any improvement.

absolutely not!....adding a year will only up the cost of getting rid of him next year, if necessary.....promote thompson and get this drama over with, then next year, if things don't improve, clean house

Thank you for that big pile of poop you just capped all over this thread. My day is richer for having read it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I think my analysis is the natural result of the game of musical chairs that we have been playing with coaches the past 6 years. Players without allegiance to their coaches.... and fans without allegiance to members of the coaching staff.....treating them as disposables.

Aside from the yoyo performance of the team, we find it necessary to pay exorbitant salaries with huge buy-outs as the world of coaches gets to understand the tenuous nature of job at AU.

Is that you Gus? :)

So Chavis or Shannon then? Works for me ;D/>

Back the truck up for Chavis. I live about an hour from CS, I will go help him pack if needed.

I'll meet you there.

absolutely not!....adding a year will only up the cost of getting rid of him next year, if necessary.....promote thompson and get this drama over with, then next year, if things don't improve, clean house

Buying out a contract for an extra year is nothing when looking at the numbers. Either give him the opportunity to be successful with a top notch DC or let him go after the Memphis game and start from scratch right now. That way, going 5-7 next year can be viewed as a rebuilding year.

If Gus is on a 1-year contract (perception) then he is done. No way we have the pieces in place to challenge for the West next year.

Chavis reminds me of Sunny. No thanks. Randy Shannon is my #1 choice.

Archived