Kirby Smart To Be Announced as UGA Head Coach On 12/7 (MERGED THREADS)

RunInRed

Reports that Cochran will also head to UGA with Smart.

I'm curious what will happen once pen meets paper. I doubt that Smart would agree to head to UGA before Alabama's playoff games, but you never know what UGA might draw a hard line on.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! IMHO, it is inconceivable that UGA would fire a successful coach that has been there 15(?) seasons to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience. CKS may hire a top notch group of assistants but still will have to learn how to be a head coach. I had thought that there were reasons that no schools had offered Smart a HC job in prior seasons....his name was always floating around but never really heard that he had an offers.

I can't imagine that WM would leave to go coach for a recently hired/promoted assistant. Smart is a defensive coach and would meddle too much in Boom's business.

UGA has been itching to fire Richt for some time now. I think that they figured now was their best chance. As for hiring Smart well I can't quite figure that either.

Wow! IMHO, it is inconceivable that UGA would fire a successful coach that has been there 15(?) seasons to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience. CKS may hire a top notch group of assistants but still will have to learn how to be a head coach. I had thought that there were reasons that no schools had offered Smart a HC job in prior seasons....his name was always floating around but never really heard that he had an offers.

I can't imagine that WM would leave to go coach for a recently hired/promoted assistant. Smart is a defensive coach and would meddle too much in Boom's business.

UGA has been itching to fire Richt for some time now. I think that they figured now was their best chance. As for hiring Smart well I can't quite figure that either.

Got that right....a "typical" dawg fan on Sirius sport talk a while ago....thrilled that MR was gone.....ranted a while about the need to fire him for all the usual reasons. When asked about Smart....he had little to say and could not think of a reasons why he was hired....except his name was not Mark Richt.....just glad that MR was gone and pretty sure that anyone would be an improvement. I just love that.

Smart will be the next HC for UGA. If Kirby does nor want the job, why not Bobo?

Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it!

UT fans were ready to dump Fat Phil and Nebraska fans couldn't wait to get rid of Solich or Pelini, this list goes on & on....at some point, they probably wished they had those guys back!!!

Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it!

UT fans were ready to dump Fat Phil and Nebraska fans couldn't wait to get rid of Solich or Pelini, this list goes on & on....at some point, they probably wished they had those guys back!!!

Solich is one thing but Pelini just left them with no choice after all his tirades and anger management issues.

So... Pruitt to bama? Seems like the personality would be a good fit.

If Pruitt after becoming a DC is as much a disrupter as they say, I'd love for him to be at Bama. But then again Saban only hires those are willing to subordinate themselves to his will. Pruitt might not fit that mold...

So... Pruitt to bama? Seems like the personality would be a good fit.

If Pruitt after becoming a DC is as much a disrupter as they say, I'd love for him to be at Bama. But then again Saban only hires those are willing to subordinate themselves to his will. Pruitt might not fit that mold...

I was just referring to the fact that I've heard he's a jerk... seems to fit over there.

Heard that Smart will take over HC duties at Ga after the SEC champ game. I believe that means he will not coach bama in the playoffs should they beat Florida. After 8 years of saban having Smart around to do all the film break down and game planning he has been doing, him suddenly not being there could make the playoffs pretty tough. I know saban has a lot to do with the D, but I really think Smart has been the guy he can lean on to do all the dirty work. Forcing saban back into that role could have a large ripple effect IYAM.

Heard that Smart will take over HC duties at Ga after the SEC champ game. I believe that means he will not coach bama in the playoffs should they beat Florida. After 8 years of saban having Smart around to do all the film break down and game planning he has been doing, him suddenly not being there could make the playoffs pretty tough. I know saban has a lot to do with the D, but I really think Smart has been the guy he can lean on to do all the dirty work. Forcing saban back into that role could have a large ripple effect IYAM.

I was curious when UGA would want him to start. We'll see if it has any effect on the team. I don't think Saban will have any problems game planning or even game calling. I would be more worried about the general attitude and focus of the players. Not to mention there just being a different feel and flow to the game with someone else calling in plays.

I was curious when UGA would want him to start. We'll see if it has any effect on the team. I don't think Saban will have any problems game planning or even game calling. I would be more worried about the general attitude and focus of the players. Not to mention there just being a different feel and flow to the game with someone else calling in plays.

Hence the ripple effect

Hence the ripple effect

yes, I missed that the first time I read your post.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Alabama: Phil Savage noted on Sirius XM this morning that Kirby Smart will stay with the Crimson Tide through their bowl game / playoff.

Good for him sticking with his team, but this seems like it would seriously put him behind the 8 ball building a staff and recruiting. If UAt makes it to the finals, then that would give him right at a month to build a staff of leftover people and recruit.

Alabama: Phil Savage noted on Sirius XM this morning that Kirby Smart will stay with the Crimson Tide through their bowl game / playoff.

Good for him sticking with his team, but this seems like it would seriously put him behind the 8 ball building a staff and recruiting. If UAt makes it to the finals, then that would give him right at a month to build a staff of leftover people and recruit.

Where's the problem??

So you are saying we are pulling for Iowa to beat the crimson necks in the finals?

Tom Herman seems to have been able to put together a good staff and all even while coaching OSU in the playoffs last year.

Saban should just be his own DC like Mason at Vandy. If things go wrong, the Saban can fire himself like Weiss did at KU.

The details of the Kirby Smart / UGA contract have been released. Holy Crap!! Not a bad deal for a first time Head Coach.

https://uga.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1833975

Yeah, probably a reflection of the school more than Smart. Nonetheless, more money than many considerably more successful coaches. He's got a good agent, that's for sure.

Archived