Men vs. Florida - Game Thread

WarTiger

The problem with this team is that they don't know how to play as a unit. If Canty is knocking down half court threes and balls are bouncing our way, we look good. If Canty is off and we are getting handled on the boards, they give up.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this team is that they don't know how to play as a unit. If Canty is knocking down half court threes and balls are bouncing our way, we look good. If Canty is off and we are getting handled on the boards, they give up.

I don't agree at all that they give up. I think that's just frustration talking. Last night florida did a great job of taking Canty out of his game. They had him doubled quite a bit and nobody (regardless of how good they are) aren't going to get many open looks when being doubled up. Them doubling him up, left others open. I have zero problem with Bowers taking a 3 pt attempt. When your best shooter is doubled up, the shots have to come from somewhere. Clearly Bowers isn't the shooter that Canty is, but he's not incompetent either. He's only taken 39 3 pt attempts in 18 games. That's barely over 2 per game. Harris has taken 31 3 pt attempts. My only issue with it is some of the times he chooses to take the shot. Transition with nobody there to help is a prime example. Other than that, it doesn't bother me in the least. It doesn't bother me any that Harris takes that shot either.

I don't agree at all that they give up. I think that's just frustration talking. Last night florida did a great job of taking Canty out of his game. They had him doubled quite a bit and nobody (regardless of how good they are) aren't going to get many open looks when being doubled up. Them doubling him up, left others open. I have zero problem with Bowers taking a 3 pt attempt. When your best shooter is doubled up, the shots have to come from somewhere. Clearly Bowers isn't the shooter that Canty is, but he's not incompetent either. He's only taken 39 3 pt attempts in 18 games. That's barely over 2 per game. Harris has taken 31 3 pt attempts. My only issue with it is some of the times he chooses to take the shot. Transition with nobody there to help is a prime example. Other than that, it doesn't bother me in the least. It doesn't bother me any that Harris takes that shot either.

Agreed. His 3 shooting is overblown on here. He's not a great shooter by any means, but he makes them occasionally which, if he ever uses it properly, could lead to big men coming out to defend leaving easier baskets underneath. I think the frustration here lies with the fact that most of his 3s are either makes or possession enders so it tends to limit opportunities rather than create them. If we ever figure out a way to use it to create opportunities elsewhere in the floor, his 3 shooting could actually be quite beneficial. Unfortunately, we have so many other issues that working on those scenarios doesn't seem to fit in to the priorities. So for now, it just is what it is.

Agreed. His 3 shooting is overblown on here. He's not a great shooter by any means, but he makes them occasionally which, if he ever uses it properly, could lead to big men coming out to defend leaving easier baskets underneath. I think the frustration here lies with the fact that most of his 3s are either makes or possession enders so it tends to limit opportunities rather than create them. If we ever figure out a way to use it to create opportunities elsewhere in the floor, his 3 shooting could actually be quite beneficial. Unfortunately, we have so many other issues that working on those scenarios doesn't seem to fit in to the priorities. So for now, it just is what it is.

My concern about his 3 point shooting is two-fold. First, he is just not that good.... but worse still, it means when a shot goes up he is 20+ feet from the rebounding zone and there is no one left around to be a force under the boards except a couple very lean forwards. We have plenty of other guys who can shoot the 3s with equal effectiveness but none who are his equal at rebounding when he is making an effort underneath. JMO but every time he takes a 3, our odds of getting an offensive rebound go to about zero.

And PS, most teams don't fear his 3 point shooting and rarely does a big guy chase him outside.

Defenses invite him to take the 3 and as was noted it leaves nobody to get boards and we just don't have the personnel to be where we can afford an iffy 3pt shooter to take 3s while sacrificing our, at many times, only rebounding threat on the floor.

I'm fine with him taking 2 3s a game if they are smart shots but sometimes they are not

My concern about his 3 point shooting is two-fold. First, he is just not that good.... but worse still, it means when a shot goes up he is 20+ feet from the rebounding zone and there is no one left around to be a force under the boards except a couple very lean forwards. We have plenty of other guys who can shoot the 3s with equal effectiveness but none who are his equal at rebounding when he is making an effort underneath. JMO but every time he takes a 3, our odds of getting an offensive rebound go to about zero.

And PS, most teams don't fear his 3 point shooting and rarely does a big guy chase him outside.

Big guys don't chase him because he and the rest of the team dont set it up properly. That's what I mean by using it properly. If he would wait until a big guy started playing him tight and then pulled him just a little farther out than he wanted to play, the inside would open just enough to get some easy baskets when combined with a screen or something similar to get a player open to the boards. The way it's being used currently results in either a made 3 or a wasted trip.

my concern is the defense backs up and invites him to shoot it. that is a pretty good indication of what the opposing coach thinks of his effectiveness.

That's all well and good, but they still aren't playing as a unit.

The biggest problem is we don't have guys who can create their own shots and the guy who can is our best scorer. Like I've said since pearl was here he was trying to run an offense similar to golden state. What he's missing that they have are ball handlers who can break guys down and guys who are passers. We will always be able to find faults ever game we play, since we haven't been good in so long it seems some of you all make things sound so much worse than they are. Saying players aren't interested and don't play together....that's just funny to me. Before last season pearl said he wanted Bowers to push the ball then when he makes turnovers it's he don't listen....before this season pearl said he wanted him to be a perimeter threat....Bowers misses a shot he's not listening. That's bull, if they didn't do what they were told they wouldn't play. Whatever decision pearl makes he wants from cb it's because he see more good than bad

The biggest problem is we don't have guys who can create their own shots and the guy who can is our best scorer. Like I've said since pearl was here he was trying to run an offense similar to golden state. What he's missing that they have are ball handlers who can break guys down and guys who are passers. We will always be able to find faults ever game we play, since we haven't been good in so long it seems some of you all make things sound so much worse than they are. Saying players aren't interested and don't play together....that's just funny to me. Before last season pearl said he wanted Bowers to push the ball then when he makes turnovers it's he don't listen....before this season pearl said he wanted him to be a perimeter threat....Bowers misses a shot he's not listening. That's bull, if they didn't do what they were told they wouldn't play. Whatever decision pearl makes he wants from cb it's because he see more good than bad

Maybe....considering how few options BP has at the moment....I'm not sure what we are seeing is really what BP wants.....perhaps it is what he has concluded that he has to live with ......"more good than bad"....only true sometimes IMO.

Should be interesting tonight....playing another fair team with one really good player. Might depend on which shooting guard has the hot hand.

Is Moody playing tonight? I know he had a hamstring issue. I wouldn't be mad if he was out.

But I also think he's the type of player Canty can eat up because Moody is roughly the same size as Canty.

Is Moody playing tonight? I know he had a hamstring issue. I wouldn't be mad if he was out.

But I also think he's the type of player Canty can eat up because Moody is roughly the same size as Canty.

Hope Moody is playing and near full speed.....he and Canty could have a shootout.

Hope Moody is playing and near full speed.....he and Canty could have a shootout.

I just want a W

I just want a W

Well that too....but Canty is going to need some help....and AU needs some rebounding. Would be nice for our "home court" team to show up in Oxford.

Archived