Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

4 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

'Course that does limit one to pieces available on youtube, but

Thanks

You may have created a monster

Well, youtube is the standard; however, this is a thread for music fans, and is therefore not beholden to rules or structure. A wide variety of content finds its way on here. Just yesterday, Refuge posted a Sturgill Simpson tour link and I posted an album stream on NPR. 

And I damn sure hope that there's a monster lurking in and between Tloosa and Mobile Bay. Even if I already didn't hold you in high regard, it's no accident that others whom I hold in similarly high regard keep inviting you to our hidden little corners of the Fam. If they hadn't, I would have. 

We're open-minded in here. We like listening to new and different stuff. Hell, just @ShocksMyBrain's contributions alone would dwarf the average music fan's experience in styles and genres. Bring it, good sir!

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, youtube is the standard; however, this is a thread for music fans, and is therefore not beholden to rules or structure. A wide variety of content finds its way on here. Just yesterday, Refuge posted a Sturgill Simpson tour link and I posted an album stream on NPR. 

And I damn sure hope that there's a monster lurking in and between Tloosa and Mobile Bay. Even if I already didn't hold you in high regard, it's no accident that others whom I hold in similarly high regard keep inviting you to our hidden little corners of the Fam. If they hadn't, I would have. 

We're open-minded in here. We like listening to new and different stuff. Hell, just @ShocksMyBrain's contributions alone would dwarf the average music fan's experience in styles and genres. Bring it, good sir!

Search/find not quite as simple as I'd hoped, but apparently more do-able than I'd previously thought.

Test probe presented.

Poor album provenance (which complicated search) but I think I got the cut.

Turk Murphy and Wally Rose serving as a "cover band" for Jelly Roll Morton.

ETA - Whole album is worthwhile, but looks like I might need to search cuts one-by-one?

Edited by AUinTLoosa
  • Like 2

I don't have a ton of knowledge about Dixieland. Most of my jazz leanings are big names most people have heard of- Armstrong, Ellington, Coltrane, Parker, Monk, Brubeck, Davis, Hancock, Guaraldi. But anything that comes out of New Orleans, even if by proxy, is going to be worth checking out. Definitely a form best appreciated live. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't have a ton of knowledge about Dixieland. Most of my jazz leanings are big names most people have heard of- Armstrong, Ellington, Coltrane, Parker, Monk, Brubeck, Davis, Hancock, Guaraldi. But anything that comes out of New Orleans, even if by proxy, is going to be worth checking out. Definitely a form best appreciated live. 

As a young college kid, used to buy draft beer at a corner stand and then just press my ear against the window at Preservation Hall.

And now for something completely different (sorry for sound quality, studio version is better)

11 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

As a young college kid, used to buy draft beer at a corner stand and then just press my ear against the window at Preservation Hall.

Aw man. Those are the kinds of stories that make me sometimes think I was born too late. 

Here's one from awhile back:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aw man. Those are the kinds of stories that make me sometimes think I was born too late. 

Sinatra probably the best singing diction I've heard; milked every diphthong and singable consonant. For capturing the melodic melancholy, however, ever heard Judy Collins version?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Sinatra probably the best singing diction I've heard; milked every diphthong and singable consonant. For capturing the melodic melancholy, however, ever heard Judy Collins version?

Awwww shoot

now you got me into melodic melancholy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Excellent

How would one even look for, much less find, such?

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Judy Collins, you say. I will have to explore. Haunting voice.

Related (by marriage, I think) to Joan Baez. Both good, but different, voices. I think Judy's prettier (pig that I am?).

ETA - both had their share of protest songs.

Edited by AUinTLoosa

15 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Excellent

How would one even look for, much less find, such?

Hanging out in this thread is a good start ;)  Seriously, you could probably find a thread from Mozart to Muse if you wanted.

12 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I think Judy's prettier (pig that I am?).

We aren't only appreciative of aural delights. 

Back to Dixieland, but this group is a more upbeat, soul-less (one might even say Disneyland) crowd. 

ETA - Competent, though

ETA - quit for the day. Guess some things can't be found?

Edited by AUinTLoosa

59 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

He died 1/16/17. 

Yessir, and

apparently at a fairly ripe old for such a smoothly techie sound.

a "like" response seemed inappropriate

On 2/10/2017 at 2:05 PM, McLoofus said:

You were.......................... by the way great music guys anyone into Sub-Saharan African music?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

You were.......................... by the way great music guys anyone into Sub-Saharan African music?

You keep up w./ modern music better than do I

On 2/11/2017 at 7:05 PM, augolf1716 said:

I will be after I get off this conference call.

• Like 1