Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

Until I can find tech to allow upload from LP (does such exists?), I'm limited to what's online.

Won't stop me, however,

Though I really don't get out much, I do occasionally hear newer stuff.

Case in point.

• Like 1

As long as the off-season Football Forum echoes like an abandoned mall,

I'll probably keep pestering the crowd in this thread.

Ms. Giddens recently left the Chocolate Drops (and apparently broke their website?)

Not sure her solo has really taken off yet, but she (with her new band) covers a Cline song well

Edited by AUinTLoosa
  • Like 2

Ms. Giddens has gained a lot of acclaim among the Americana set. Some voice she's got. I hope to see her perform eventually. Really need to get back to Merlefest, hopefully next year. 

• Like 1

Did you know Earl had offspring?

Aside to son of Loofus - Though Judy Collins did do a pretty good vocal on this one, I think Joni Mitchell's fit better

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Did you know Earl had offspring?

Aside to son of Loofus - Though Judy Collins did do a pretty good vocal on this one, I think Joni Mitchell's fit better

I did, although I'm not super familiar with his stuff. And I can imagine that both ladies knocked that one out of the park. Pretty sure I've heard Joni sing it.

And on down the rabbit hole we go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I did, although I'm not super familiar with his stuff. And I can imagine that both ladies knocked that one out of the park. Pretty sure I've heard Joni sing it.

And on down the rabbit hole we go.

SIAP re: Ms. Giddens.

Interesting hole you've chosen (though a bit incestuous? if I'm allowed to say that here). The group you chose here includes Randy (on the right). I fact, I believe that all of these performers were on the "Circle" album, along with the Dirt Band and some Carters.

Also on the Circle album was one Josh Graves, the dobro player that the elder Scruggs poached (for his "Revue") in the breakup w./ Mr. Flatt.

That's a sort'a segue. Mr. Graves was also featured, in his own right, elsewhere along with:

• Like 1

Jerry Douglas is one of the most talented musicians I've ever seen perform. An absolute giant.

What a character Tut Taylor was, RIP.

Segues and incestuous musical connections are huge parts of this thread!

• Like 1

Man, a lot going on with this waterfowl orchestra of yours. Surprised I've never heard of them before. Do/did they tour much? 

I feel like these guys are Little Feat, except they got sober and started dating Karen Carpenter. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man, a lot going on with this waterfowl orchestra of yours. Surprised I've never heard of them before. Do/did they tour much? 

I feel like these guys are Little Feat, except they got sober and started dating Karen Carpenter. 

Used to tour (late 60s-early 70s), but I think mostly KY, TN regional. Album I've been sampling here is the one I'm most familiar with, but they had several.

I was a little worried about starting w./ the Mercedes cover. There are some in my local circle that would consider any cover of that one a sacrilege.

Edited by AUinTLoosa

12 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I was a little worried about starting w./ the Mercedes cover. There are some in my local circle that would consider any cover of that one a sacrilege.

Eh, seems a song ripe for tribute.

While we're dabbling in folksy country...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh, seems a song ripe for tribute.

While we're dabbling in folksy country...

Damn'

I knew better, but listened again anyway.

'Course, Illegal Smile is the only song I've ever heard from him that's even a little cheerful.

Saw him open for John Hartford in the Saenger (Mobile, AL, back when). Only thing that kept Mr. Prine upright was a firm grip on his guitar, but performance was musically flawless.

23 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Damn'

I knew better, but listened again anyway.

'Course, Illegal Smile is the only song I've ever heard from him that's even a little cheerful.

Saw him open for John Hartford in the Saenger (Mobile, AL, back when). Only thing that kept Mr. Prine upright was a firm grip on his guitar, but performance was musically flawless.

Speaking of which,

Here's one I also consider a sacrilege. I have a Mobile buddy that actually growls uncontrollably. You need not keep listening.

ETA - I warned you

Edited by AUinTLoosa

40 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

As incongruous as it may seem, given the particulars of the current discussion, I'm bordering on an envy-fueled hissy fit. At least I've gotten to see both of those guys, though, and at least one of them is still alive. 

40 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Well, I had to. You know, since Grammy and all.....

Hah! I tried to post the SNL songs earlier but they've been taken down. Unreal year for him. Well deserved.

Wifey can't join me for the Fox show, but my buddy who talked me into my first Sturgill show can...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

And this dude. I know I posted this a while back, but...

This one always makes me think Vince Guaraldi and JJ Cale made a song baby. Except he's totally his own thing. Very cool. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As incongruous as it may seem, given the particulars of the current discussion, I'm bordering on an envy-fueled hissy fit. At least I've gotten to see both of those guys, though, and at least one of them is still alive. 

An interesting thought arises.

Aside to (OP) Mr. Brain - Mind if we weave a sub-thread in here, as to whom we've seen live? arena or small bar? how the experiences influenced what we've bought and/or listened to since? Don't think it should turn into any kind of contest (and not only since I don't get out much anymore, and I know I would lose any such), but might provide some backdrop on taste development?

2 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

An interesting thought arises.

Aside to (OP) Mr. Brain - Mind if we weave a sub-thread in here, as to whom we've seen live? arena or small bar? how the experiences influenced what we've bought and/or listened to since? Don't think it should turn into any kind of contest (and not only since I don't get out much anymore, and I know I would lose any such), but might provide some backdrop on taste development?

I'm game...