Missouri -fallout from potential boycott

AU64

Attached is a link to comments from the former President of the U of Mizz.

The telling comment is to the effect..... the $ 1 million penalty for forfeiting the BYU game would have been a pittance compared to what it is costing the school in terms of lost enrollment and threatened de-funding from the legislature.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ex-mizzou-president--football-team-threw--gasoline-on-small-fire-202603773.html

Meanwhile, Mizz is at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting and losing flips at an alarming rate.

And of course their QB is gone....going to be a hard season to be a Mizz Tiger fan.

If it wasn't so sad, it would be comical.

Wolfe resigned Nov. 9 amid racial tension at the Columbia campus that sparked a student protest. The protest, led by a group known as Concerned Student 1950, called for Wolfe’s resignation because of his perceived inaction. Graduate student Jonathan Butler pledged to go on a hunger strike until Wolfe resigned.

So the wacko students get their way, due largely to lack of leadership spine, and it will cost them millions! Sad!

Wolfe resigned Nov. 9 amid racial tension at the Columbia campus that sparked a student protest. The protest, led by a group known as Concerned Student 1950, called for Wolfe’s resignation because of his perceived inaction. Graduate student Jonathan Butler pledged to go on a hunger strike until Wolfe resigned.

So the wacko students get their way, due largely to lack of leadership spine, and it will cost them millions! Sad!

Yea... that's the published line. The behind the scenes is that Johnathan Butler (who's dad is a railroad executive and loaded) and his fellow grad students were upset that the university would not subsidize healthcare for them. The university explained that the Affordable Care Act doesn't allow them to do that. The students, not believing that the government would even create something that didn't help them, didn't believe the university, so they decided to get the president fired and get someone else in there who would do what they wanted. They used the football team to get him fired, through their threats to not play.

As for diversity issues... their student body president is a gay black man... Missouri is WAY down on the list of schools with diversity issues.

Should have just let that guy not eat for as long as he wanted to. He's a grown up, let him make the call. I've never understood the whole hunger strike thing, not a big fan of trying to strong arm people to get what you want. Plus it just seems kinda geeky to me but whatever. I can tell you this, if I were a SEC type recruit and had other options, no way I'd go to that school.

"In the email, Wolfe said the actions of the football team were “the equivalent of throwing gasoline on a small fire” that could lead to a “financial catastrophe” for the university."

You don't say!! Too bad Pinkel went off to his vacation home sooner than expected and doesn't have to deal with the repercussions that came from his own cowardly coaching. I feel for their fans and their alumni. They deserved better than to watch their school become a circus where mob rule wins out.

"In the email, Wolfe said the actions of the football team were "the equivalent of throwing gasoline on a small fire" that could lead to a "financial catastrophe" for the university."

You don't say!! Too bad Pinkel went off to his vacation home sooner than expected and doesn't have to deal with the repercussions that came from his own cowardly coaching. I feel for their fans and their alumni. They deserved better than to watch their school become a circus where mob rule wins out.

What's funny ....or maybe interesting is a better word....is that Pinkel was treated as a hero for sticking with his players and showing loyalty to them....although it was clear that the boycott group did not have full support of their fellow players.

Now...Pinkel got a raise and is on the Fund Raising Staff. Should be really interesting for him to make calls on the school's well-heeled alums and explain why good ole Mizzou needs their financial support.

Yea... that's the published line. The behind the scenes is that Johnathan Butler (who's dad is a railroad executive and loaded) and his fellow grad students were upset that the university would not subsidize healthcare for them. The university explained that the Affordable Care Act doesn't allow them to do that. The students, not believing that the government would even create something that didn't help them, didn't believe the university, so they decided to get the president fired and get someone else in there who would do what they wanted. They used the football team to get him fired, through their threats to not play.

As for diversity issues... their student body president is a gay black man... Missouri is WAY down on the list of schools with diversity issues.

I'm aware of all of this and more but to be honest, I was afraid, if mentioned, certain people would scream for it to be moved into the political thread etc...

Glad we can discuss it here, crazy times!

I'm aware of all of this and more but to be honest, I was afraid, if mentioned, certain people would scream for it to be moved into the political thread etc...

Glad we can discuss it here, crazy times!

True it's political .....but the spillover effect on SEC football can't be ignored. Right now they are ranked about 55 by Rivals and unless the new HC is a genius, their football program is going to take a major hit...perhaps for a couple years. Meanwhile, this year LSU and Arky have the good fortune to play Mizz as their SEC East opponent.

"In the email, Wolfe said the actions of the football team were "the equivalent of throwing gasoline on a small fire" that could lead to a "financial catastrophe" for the university."

What's funny ....or maybe interesting is a better word....is that Pinkel was treated as a hero for sticking with his players and showing loyalty to them....although it was clear that the boycott group did not have full support of their fellow players.

Now...Pinkel got a raise and is on the Fund Raising Staff. Should be really interesting for him to make calls on the school's well-heeled alums and explain why good ole Mizzou needs their financial support.

Pinkel didn't give a damn about the football season once the boycott started. He still should've told his kids that they were on scholarship to play football, not to be a campus activist. However I think he was just trying to get out of the season alive and the boycott provided a nice distraction to their losing football season. His actions along with the rest of the Missouri admins only exacerbated the problem. The president should have taken control of the situation and handled it internally before it got big. He didn't and it became a circus. I just read that their enrollment has dropped about 25% since then and they only have themselves to blame.

Pinkel didn't give a damn about the football season once the boycott started. He still should've told his kids that they were on scholarship to play football, not to be a campus activist. However I think he was just trying to get out of the season alive and the boycott provided a nice distraction to their losing football season. His actions along with the rest of the Missouri admins only exacerbated the problem. The president should have taken control of the situation and handled it internally before it got big. He didn't and it became a circus. I just read that their enrollment has dropped about 25% since then and they only have themselves to blame.

Pinkel had health problems too....think by the time this started he was just looking to finish the season and hoping they did not qualify for a bowl game.

Problems went all the way to the state house...political pressure caused some people to make bad decisions. And if things could not be worse, the school has been hit by NCAA probation for the basketball program too. http://www.columbiamissourian.com/sports/mizzou_sports/update-missouri-men-s-basketball-announces-ncaa-violations-self-imposed/article_3f3b02e6-ba32-11e5-a289-2bca6d453df8.html

Being AD there must really be fun these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Just some grandstanding IMO....but the school and football team will pay a price I expect in the form alum support...and their recruiting has remained near the bottom of the SEC again.

Gotta give Pinkel credit for outperforming the quality of his recruiting classes. The new coach has his work cut out for him.

• 1 month later...

Saw this tweet earlier

"It's early, but if this SEC record were to hold, Mizzou would have worst conference record in baseball, basketball and football."

They are going through some very tough times right now.

Saw this tweet earlier

"It's early, but if this SEC record were to hold, Mizzou would have worst conference record in baseball, basketball and football."

It's early......But looking at our football/basketball/baseball we ain't on a smooth road right now either.

Saw this tweet earlier

It's early......But looking at our football/basketball/baseball we ain't on a smooth road right now either.

Nah we're not and I thought about that earlier. We certainly had it rough in the big three but I think it was more of an abnormality than anything. We had so many factors such as new baseball coach, basketball injuries, etc. I think Missourri is battling a much bigger problem and it's going to take much longer to fix the issues up top before their athletics recover.

If this mess had happen 4 years ago, would the SEC have let them join the conference? I think they would still be in the Big12 where they belong.

• 1 month later...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ch39Z99WkAAnJPc?format=jpg&name=large

Missouri softball is playing a game in protest of their AD... lol

crybabyU

Anyone could have typed that I suppose.

Umm okay???? I guess anyone includes college aged female student athletes...It's not that hard to bring a couple complaints to light via Microsoft Word. I posted this because, yet again, Missouri is dealing with another student protest despite the fact that the university is still reeling from declining enrollment and donor numbers and it's still trying to shake off the nationwide embarrassment of the last protest. Don't really know what you meant by that stupid statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/07/missouri-softball-team-plays-in-protest-of-athletic-director-athletic-department/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/84077578/?client=safari#

crybabyU

Umm okay???? I guess anyone includes college aged female student athletes...It's not that hard to bring a couple complaints to light via Microsoft Word. I posted this because, yet again, Missouri is dealing with another student protest despite the fact that the university is still reeling from declining enrollment and donor numbers and it's still trying to shake off the nationwide embarrassment of the last protest. Don't really know what you meant by that stupid statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/07/missouri-softball-team-plays-in-protest-of-athletic-director-athletic-department/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So the crybabys are protesting because they are being "forced" to give interviews to the athletic dept (who gives them their scholarships) and being told they aren't in charge of who the coach is? Is any college player anywhere in any sport in charge of the coach is? This university is an embarrassment to the SEC and needs to be kicked out. Sianara

The coach ought to be protesting...$155K salary ? That's a pittance these days in the SEC.

crybabyU

So the crybabys are protesting because they are being "forced" to give interviews to the athletic dept (who gives them their scholarships) and being told they aren't in charge of who the coach is? Is any college player anywhere in any sport in charge of the coach is? This university is an embarrassment to the SEC and needs to be kicked out. Sianara

I'd like to know why the players think they deserve the right to have their say in the coaching hire. They are there for four years total.The coaching hire should always transcend the players power and be held by the established authorities.

Archived