More players using the new helmet style

AUEngineer2016

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but more of our players have been using a newer helmet style that came out last year or the year before. It's the one with the floating panel on the crown of the helmet.

Prince Tega with the front view:

-a8747f2a0bdeb0bb.JPG

Malik Miller:

-2695f2b2ad061e93.JPG

Close up:

-ae419136527e4fda.JPG

I don't remember any player wearing that helmet style the past few years, and it's strange to me that only new players are wearing them. So far, I've seen Miller, Antwan Jackson, and Prince wearing them, but I would bet that there are more. I know that helmet choice is just a personal preference, but it was just something that stuck out to me in all of the pictures from practice.

Is there a functional difference?

Why the change?

More protective?

What's its selling point?

Is there a functional difference?

Why the change?

More protective?

What's its selling point?

Just looking at them, it appears the biggest thing is that an impact on the crown of the helmet would primarily be absorbed by that single piece, since it can flex on its own, instead of being transferred throughout the entire helmet and down to the neck. It's kind of the football helmet equivalent of a car's bumper.

Its the most concussive resistant helmet on the market and run about $550 a pop. It's made by Riddell, the same company that makes the helmet most of our players wear (JJ, Adams, Lawson off the top of my head), and is called the Revolution Speed Flex. Very quality product.

the absorbent patch on the crown SHOULD be useless to all players since we are no longer taught to lead with the crown of your helmet for tackling. lol. just saying. seriously, though, it is good to see equipment that is starting to address the real risks of potential injury. now they just need to make it more affordable for the high school level programs to be able to provide them to the younger kids.

the absorbent patch on the crown SHOULD be useless to all players since we are no longer taught to lead with the crown of your helmet for tackling. lol. just saying. seriously, though, it is good to see equipment that is starting to address the real risks of potential injury. now they just need to make it more affordable for the high school level programs to be able to provide them to the younger kids.

This is just another of a continuing development aimed at reducing head and neck injuries but IMO....seems that any promotion of the safety of this helmet is just another way of letting guys know that it's OK to lead with their heads....especially RBs since I can't recall the last time I saw a RB or WR called for a penalty for that.

Aggressively call penalties on little RBs who duck their heads at the first sign of a defender and you will totally change the game and probably save some lives too.

Otherwise, if they want to stop head and neck injuries, go back to the old leather helmets.....nobody is going to run into a brick wall in one of those things.

Its the most concussive resistant helmet on the market and run about $550 a pop. It's made by Riddell, the same company that makes the helmet most of our players wear (JJ, Adams, Lawson off the top of my head), and is called the Revolution Speed Flex. Very quality product.

Still wouldn't have prevented Reggie Brown from fumbling. :rimshot: (too soon?)

This is just another of a continuing development aimed at reducing head and neck injuries but IMO....seems that any promotion of the safety of this helmet is just another way of letting guys know that it's OK to lead with their heads....especially RBs since I can't recall the last time I saw a RB or WR called for a penalty for that.

Aggressively call penalties on little RBs who duck their heads at the first sign of a defender and you will totally change the game and probably save some lives too.

Otherwise, if they want to stop head and neck injuries, go back to the old leather helmets.....nobody is going to run into a brick wall in one of those things.

rbs and Wrs never lead with the helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player. Defenseless player being the key term.

rbs and Wrs never lead with the helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player. Defenseless player being the key term.

Perhaps....but surely you can't tell me that you haven't seen DB and RB hit helmet to helmet where the DB gets called for the penalty.

Perhaps....but surely you can't tell me that you haven't seen DB and RB hit helmet to helmet where the DB gets called for the penalty.

quite a bit. They are usually "targeting" a receiver or ball carrier who would be considered defenseless. The db is almost never defenseless.

I've seen safeties get cracked back on and it is the same as a safety killing a crossing route

I've seen safeties get cracked back on and it is the same as a safety killing a crossing route

not near as often. And I think we were discussing ball carriers lowering their head not blockers coming blindside. That absolutely is a defenseless player.

Wrs never lead with the helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player. Defenseless player being the key term.

Tell that to Ricky Seals-Jones

Wrs never lead with the helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player. Defenseless player being the key term.

was talking about ball carriers. Blocks do happen but still very seldom.

was talking about ball carriers. Blocks do happen but still very seldom.

He doesn't block... he looks for targets and tries to injure them... still, I get your point.

Archived