AU Defense is Primed for a Breakout Season

TigerWar

Tega. "A work in progress".

We probably won't see him much this year.

http://www.al.com/au...bileshort_index

As much as I'd love to see the guy, he was always a project. He's only a redshirt frosh. Give him one more year.

Yep. Got the hopes up.

I'm more excited about our secondary.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be hard to have a breakout season on D this year unless the LB play proves to be something more than its been. All new starters better step up and prove a lot of folks wrong if that's gonna happen.

I think you're going to see Illinois senior transfer TJ Neal, Tre' Williams and Jeffery Holland holding their own

For the thousandth time, Holland doesn't play LB. He's a passing down DE.

http://www.oanow.com...475fe06032.html

Jeff Holland coming on strong as pass rusher behind Carl Lawson

Holland, the 6-foot-2, 240-pound sophomore edge rusher, has garnered some praise this spring for his development from a year ago. Specifically, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele lauded Holland for his pass-rushing prowess this spring, saying he has come on strong behind Lawson at defensive end.

Both Steele and Lawson described Holland as a “natural” when it comes to rushing the passer.

“A good pass rusher is a good pass rusher,” Steele said. “You got to have speed, explosion, good use of hands, understand leverage. It does come natural to him. He’s got speed and quickness. He enjoys it. He’s creative with his stuff and really has done a nice job of it.”

The most creative part of Holland’s technique, apparently, is the way he maneuvers his body to evade blockers. As Lawson put it, Holland has “a lot of natural bend” when it comes to coming off the edge, allowing him to stay close to the offensive linemen as he works his way into the backfield.

Essentially, Holland is making a name for himself as a finesse rusher instead of a power rusher. After totaling 13 tackles, including 2 ½ for a loss and a sack, as well as a forced fumble as a freshman last year, Holland has been spending more time with Lawson and defensive tackle Montravius Adams, both of whom have helped him develop into a better player this spring.

Gonna be hard to have a breakout season on D this year unless the LB play proves to be something more than its been. All new starters better step up and prove a lot of folks wrong if that's gonna happen.

I think you're going to see Illinois senior transfer TJ Neal, Tre' Williams and Jeffery Holland holding their own

Holland, the 6-foot-2, 240-pound sophomore edge rusher, has garnered some praise this spring for his development from a year ago. Specifically, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele lauded Holland for his pass-rushing prowess this spring, saying he has come on strong behind Lawson at defensive end.

Both Steele and Lawson described Holland as a “natural” when it comes to rushing the passer.

“A good pass rusher is a good pass rusher,” Steele said. “You got to have speed, explosion, good use of hands, understand leverage. It does come natural to him. He’s got speed and quickness. He enjoys it. He’s creative with his stuff and really has done a nice job of it.”

The most creative part of Holland’s technique, apparently, is the way he maneuvers his body to evade blockers. As Lawson put it, Holland has “a lot of natural bend” when it comes to coming off the edge, allowing him to stay close to the offensive linemen as he works his way into the backfield.

Essentially, Holland is making a name for himself as a finesse rusher instead of a power rusher. After totaling 13 tackles, including 2 ½ for a loss and a sack, as well as a forced fumble as a freshman last year, Holland has been spending more time with Lawson and defensive tackle Montravius Adams, both of whom have helped him develop into a better player this spring.

Great info. I am concerned that all these good articles coming out about our defense will only make me more disappointed when the actual season rolls around.

Great info. I am concerned that all these good articles coming out about our defense will only make me more disappointed when the actual season rolls around.

Guaranteed our D won't start strong. Just ask bammer.

If we can hold Clemson to 35, which is 3.5 points below their 2015 average, it would be an accomplishment.

Both Steele and Lawson described Holland as a "natural" when it comes to rushing the passer.

"A good pass rusher is a good pass rusher," Steele said. "You got to have speed, explosion, good use of hands, understand leverage. It does come natural to him. He's got speed and quickness. He enjoys it. He's creative with his stuff and really has done a nice job of it."

The most creative part of Holland's technique, apparently, is the way he maneuvers his body to evade blockers. As Lawson put it, Holland has "a lot of natural bend" when it comes to coming off the edge, allowing him to stay close to the offensive linemen as he works his way into the backfield.

Guaranteed our D won't start strong. Just ask bammer.

If we can hold Clemson to 35, which is 3.5 points below their 2015 average, it would be an accomplishment.

Oh boy

Our offense better come out clicking.....I'm not confident that it will. It always takes Gus 3-4 games to realize who is on his roster lolol

it's just a joke, people.

Correct. Holland is #2 at the Buck position behind Lawson. Steele called his weakside hybrid DE/LB the "Bandit" at Clempson, and I think at LSU as well. To keep the transition as simple as possible, AU is continuing to use the term "Buck" in 2016.

All indications from the defensive coaches is that this group is going to be special. We are stacked on the D line and our DBs have lots of experience. The linebackers seem to be working out well and the coaches are pretty liberal with their praise of them.

Should be the best Defense we have seen in years!

If the defense has a breakout season, I will be pleasantly surprised. But, the offense should be virtually unstoppable. At last we have a quarterback with speed to turn the corner, we will again have the kind of offense that gives Saban fits. I think we will be very competitive with every team, we might drop a few. I will be looking for a solid defense, to keep us in all of the games. If the team can stay healthy, who knows?

If the defense has a breakout season, I will be pleasantly surprised. But, the offense should be virtually unstoppable. At last we have a quarterback with speed to turn the corner, we will again have the kind of offense that gives Saban fits. I think we will be very competitive with every team, we might drop a few. I will be looking for a solid defense, to keep us in all of the games. If the team can stay healthy, who knows?

I loves me an optimist.If Lashlee can turn a 2nd team JUCO QB into what's described here he'll be a shoo-in for any number of assistant coach of the year awards! :)

So speaking of D... Zac E is coaching with another AU alum and along side Blake Gidion.

Former Auburn defensive back Zac Etheridge was hired as cornerbacks coach at Western Carolina, where he'll serve under defensive coordinator and fellow AU alum Dustin Landry.

Gidion is Saftey coach.

a huge concern??? you ever hear of Jamel Dean bruh?

We got two future ALL SEC CBs that are gonna be starting for us!!!

Dean is a Redshirt Freshman...who has never played a single down of College Football...coming off knee surgery of a torn ACL...bruh.

What a concrete staple of assurance THAT is...bruh.

We all hope he turns into an All-SEC CB one day, but until then, his position is a huge concern.

I can not stand the smart ass attitudes on this board. One reason I rarely post now.

a huge concern??? you ever hear of Jamel Dean bruh?

We got two future ALL SEC CBs that are gonna be starting for us!!!

Dean is a Redshirt Freshman...who has never played a single down of College Football...coming off knee surgery of a torn ACL...bruh.

What a concrete staple of assurance THAT is...bruh.

We all hope he turns into an All-SEC CB one day, but until then, his position is a huge concern.

I can not stand the smart ass attitudes on this board. One reason I rarely post now.

Not sure who you're referring to as the smart azz.

To clarify, I replied to a troll, prior to knowing such.

Archived