AU Defense is Primed for a Breakout Season

TigerWar

Think wde said that (could be wrong) I can't say I agree with that one personally though. I also remember after Davis was burnt a couple of times against jax st some saying he wasn't good (and that's being nice)

I'm personally waiting to see with Lawson. If he is at the same level physically for the Clemson game as he was for the Lousiville game then yes I think he is the best player on our D, but will he be able to get to that point again after 2 injuries? I'm not so sure yet but I hope so. Lawson was the buzz of last years practices and I've heard a lot of good things about Carlton this year. Everybody talks about Cartlon's coverage but watching some of the games midway in the season to the end his run support was pretty dang good.

Yep, WDE said that about Carlton Davis.

Don't get me wrong, I like him -- a lot. Kinda hard to compare a CB and a DE, though, as to who is better. I'm happy we have both on our team!

I actually think we've got quite a few on the DL who are ready to break out this season.

I'm less cautiously optimistic about the DL and the DBs. In other words, I think they'll be great. Still waiting to see about the D as a whole.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlton davis is the best player on the team. I bet he snags first team all sec and possibly all american. Just an opinion. Steele hasn't forgot how to coach. Should be a great defense

No he is not. Lawson is.

Carlton davis is the best player on the team. I bet he snags first team all sec and possibly all american. Just an opinion. Steele hasn't forgot how to coach. Should be a great defense

No he is not. Lawson is.

Yep. No question about it.

If Holland is a DE/Buck LB? Who plays with Neal and Williams? Or will the Buck be out there a lot of the time? Who we play will likely be the answer, spread teams will likely have us with 2LB anyway... I think we see 4 down with a rushing LB a lot. CKS likes to blitz.

DL has the potential to be great!

Carl, Devaroe, Monty, Byron, DRussell all can be really good to great.

Some others are good enough to keep those guys fresh with little drop off.

We signed some really good ones that could be studs by the endo of the year.

I am cautiously optimistic about our LB situation. I think Tre is ready, Neal should help a lot.

We have a lot of talent and experience in the back field.

I look forward to seeing how this D develops.

Since 2010 we've said how AUsome it would be to see an elite D with a typical Gus O.

We won't see that yet, but I think we may take a few steps in that direction this year.

Some coaches are saying if we played tomorrow Deshaun Davis would be one starting LB. He's fully over his high school injury and practicing with a vengeance. That puts either Tre Williams or Neal on the bench. I hope D. Davis does come through, he's been a good guy and has been "all-Auburn" since the day he committed.

As for "breakout defense", maybe but I'm skeptical about such a huge change in such a very short time.

I gotta say I will remain skeptical on everything involving this team until they prove me otherwise. With the expectations I had last year followed by basketball season it's hard for me to be rah rah.

I thought last year our defense was going to have a breakout season (minus the linebackers) and we know how that went.

I gotta say I will remain skeptical on everything involving this team until they prove me otherwise. With the expectations I had last year followed by basketball season it's hard for me to be rah rah.

I thought last year our defense was going to have a breakout season (minus the linebackers) and we know how that went.

Except that defense wasn't the bulk of the problem last year.

I agree totally. I bought in the offensive hype myself. I think that's why it was such a HUGE letdown for me. We were virtually going to be unstoppable in my mind.

If the defense continues to progress as we did the last half of last year, I will be happy. I reckon I need to stop looking at all the negatives and start finding the positives.

If Holland is a DE/Buck LB? Who plays with Neal and Williams? Or will the Buck be out there a lot of the time? Who we play will likely be the answer, spread teams will likely have us with 2LB anyway... I think we see 4 down with a rushing LB a lot. CKS likes to blitz.

Nickel with 2 ILBs

Some coaches are saying if we played tomorrow Deshaun Davis would be one starting LB. He's fully over his high school injury and practicing with a vengeance. That puts either Tre Williams or Neal on the bench. I hope D. Davis does come through, he's been a good guy and has been "all-Auburn" since the day he committed.

As for "breakout defense", maybe but I'm skeptical about such a huge change in such a very short time.

I just can't see Tre Williams not starting. Do you have some inside info on Davis? Not calling you out or anything - just curious.

Defense should be stellar this year. Our D-Line has talent in spades. the DB situation is solid. The only questions on defense is the Linebacking core and can we stay healthy through the season?

The health of key Defensive starters hurt us last year. We not only have to have elite starters, but elite depth and pray that our starters can hold up well during the course of the season. If they hold up and we can rotate them often, Defense should be special.

I just can't see Tre Williams not starting. Do you have some inside info on Davis? Not calling you out or anything - just curious.

I wouldn't call what I've heard inside info, just scuttlebutt. It's not conclusive that Neal will start either. The sentiment was if we had to play tomorrow Davis would be one of the two starting LBs. I know, I know, Neal "wasn't signed to ride the bench". Neither were recent bench warmers King and Moncrief. Sometimes it happens.

We have also just offered a scholarship to a graduate transfer DB from Miami of Ohio. The defensive backfield must not be in as fine a shape as we fans think. If it were we wouldn't be interested in another one-and-done back there.

I'd put money on it that Neal starts. No inside info just guessing. He had more tackles last season than our entire LB core has for their collective careers basically. I think the coaches will value his game-experience and put him out there. I don't think he gets bumped from the lineup. As Mikey said he most likely wasn't signed to sit the bench.

Difference between King/Moncrief and TJ Neal is that TJ Neal has done it at a power 5 school while those other guys were doing it against guys who couldn't make the grades or guys who just aren't good enough to get scholarships.

As for Davis starting, my uninformed guess is that was Springball motivational coach-speak.

I hope Davis is as good as advertised and provides some solid depth at the LB spot. If we have 4 guys that we can depend on at LB this year I will be giddy!

As for defensive expectations. I am hoping for a middle of the road SEC defense. If we finish 6-7 in the SEC, I will be pleased with the progress. That's much better than we've seen in a while!

These "top 25/top 3 in the SEC" predictions seem like fairy tales to me, and I am a proud member of the Sunshine Pumper's Club.

I hope Davis is as good as advertised

I am kind of wishing he is better than advertised considering that he wasn't really advertised as an elite recruit.

As for Davis starting, my uninformed guess is that was Springball motivational coach-speak.

I hope Davis is as good as advertised and provides some solid depth at the LB spot. If we have 4 guys that we can depend on at LB this year I will be giddy!

If we finish 6-7 in the SEC, I will be pleased with the progress. That's much better than we've seen in a while!

These "top 25/top 3 in the SEC" predictions seem like fairy tales to me, and I am a proud member of the Sunshine Pumper's Club.

I misread these parts abd thought that was your prognosis for the whole team. LOL

If we finish 6-7 in the SEC, I will be pleased with the progress. That's much better than we've seen in a while!

I misread these parts abd thought that was your prognosis for the whole team. LOL

Lol, NO! A middle of the road SEC defense + a typical Gus offense = a really good football team!

And "middle of the road" is my hope/expectation for 2016. I hope it continues to improve from there. I want to see us get back to 2004 type defenses that dominate games.

I hope Davis is as good as advertised

I am kind of wishing he is better than advertised considering that he wasn't really advertised as an elite recruit.

That's true.

I'm more referring to some of the reports since he's been here, that he is very good/future star type stuff.

Nickel with 2 ILBs

Maybe Atkinson plays in that situation. He seems perfect. Do u think we blitz out of nickel ? With a safety blitz? I'd like it lol

As for defensive expectations. I am hoping for a middle of the road SEC defense. If we finish 6-7 in the SEC, I will be pleased with the progress. That's much better than we've seen in a while!

BTW, your SPC dues are way past due. You can send me ca$h today. :-)

The health of key Defensive starters hurt us last year.

Of our defensive starters, who besides Lawson was injured and out for more than one game last season?

My fav statement from our fans last season, "Lawson was our defense."

It's like most fans equate him to same level as Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White or at bottoms, Tracy Rocker or Nick Fairley.

A one-man gang that allows little to nothing past the D-Line.

That without him, we were helpless.

That with him healthy the entire season, no question we would have been a Top 10 - Top 20 defense.

Archived