AU Defense is Primed for a Breakout Season

TigerWar

We have also just offered a scholarship to a graduate transfer DB from Miami of Ohio. The defensive backfield must not be in as fine a shape as we fans think. If it were we wouldn't be interested in another one-and-done back there.

IMO, the Corner opposite of Carlton Davis is a huge concern, so I can see this reasoning, much like we needed Countess at the Nickel last season.

Barring injury, the other four positions in the Secondary are solid.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The health of key Defensive starters hurt us last year.

Of our defensive starters, who besides Lawson was injured and out for more than one game last season?

My fav statement from our fans last season, "Lawson was our defense."

It's like most fans equate him to same level as Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White or at bottoms, Tracy Rocker or Nick Fairley.

A one-man gang that allows little to nothing past the D-Line.

That without him, we were helpless.

That with him healthy the entire season, no question we would have been a Top 10 - Top 20 defense.

Tray Matthews looked much better to me prior to him injuring himself. He missed a few games too I think.

a huge concern??? you ever hear of Jamel Dean bruh?

We got two future ALL SEC CBs that are gonna be starting for us!!!

Dean is a Redshirt Freshman...who has never played a single down of College Football...coming off knee surgery of a torn ACL...bruh.

What a concrete staple of assurance THAT is...bruh.

We all hope he turns into an All-SEC CB one day, but until then, his position is a huge concern.

The health of key Defensive starters hurt us last year.

Of our defensive starters, who besides Lawson was injured and out for more than one game last season?

My fav statement from our fans last season, "Lawson was our defense."

It's like most fans equate him to same level as Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White or at bottoms, Tracy Rocker or Nick Fairley.

A one-man gang that allows little to nothing past the D-Line.

That without him, we were helpless.

That with him healthy the entire season, no question we would have been a Top 10 - Top 20 defense.

Tray Matthews looked much better to me prior to him injuring himself. He missed a few games too I think.

Yup, thought of Matthews when I made that post because he missed just one game for his shoulder injury...the JSU game.

He missed the A&M and Georgia games for an ankle injury.

Stephen Roberts filled in nicely for Matthews and looked even better after taking his position from the A&M game on.

Dean is a Redshirt Freshman...who has never played a single down of College Football...coming off knee surgery of a torn ACL...bruh.

We all hope he turns into an All-SEC CB one day, but until then, his position is a huge concern.

It appears MaxWeezy is trying desperately to turn over a new leaf and has crossed over to the sunshine pumpers union. :-\

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that after everyone grew tired of Max's obsessive negativity, that he's decided to come back with over-the-top, irrational sunshine pumping. To what end, I have no idea.

Oops... keesler beat me to it.

^He's making fun of them.

I assumed that... just no clue what benefit he expects to gain from it.

Damn, our fan base needs a pick-me up. Is there any good news coming out of practice?

Franklin is fast and Lawson is unblockable. Oh... and things are apparently really starting to click for Roc.

I hope Davis is as good as advertised

I am kind of wishing he is better than advertised considering that he wasn't really advertised as an elite recruit.

Davis' injury completely put him out his senior year and kept him away from camps and events. He was highly regarding but no one was sure how he would recover. Because of that, we got a steal. Ask Tre Williams how good DD is.

Some coaches are saying if we played tomorrow Deshaun Davis would be one starting LB. He's fully over his high school injury and practicing with a vengeance. That puts either Tre Williams or Neal on the bench. I hope D. Davis does come through, he's been a good guy and has been "all-Auburn" since the day he committed.

As for "breakout defense", maybe but I'm skeptical about such a huge change in such a very short time.

I just can't see Tre Williams not starting. Do you have some inside info on Davis? Not calling you out or anything - just curious.

I wouldn't call what I've heard inside info, just scuttlebutt. It's not conclusive that Neal will start either. The sentiment was if we had to play tomorrow Davis would be one of the two starting LBs. I know, I know, Neal "wasn't signed to ride the bench". Neither were recent bench warmers King and Moncrief. Sometimes it happens.

We have also just offered a scholarship to a graduate transfer DB from Miami of Ohio. The defensive backfield must not be in as fine a shape as we fans think. If it were we wouldn't be interested in another one-and-done back there.

From T-Will...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Breakout-spring-Auburns-Davis-steps-to-front-at-LB-44538620

I think the D-Line, which could be elite this year, will also do it's part to take some pressure off the linebackers. They still need to perform, but they won't be required to cover for deficiencies on the line.

This. If our DL makes life miserable for opposing teams' offenses, our LBs will look that much better.

I think the D-Line, which could be elite this year, will also do it's part to take some pressure off the linebackers. They still need to perform, but they won't be required to cover for deficiencies on the line.

This. If our DL makes life miserable for opposing teams' offenses, our LBs will look that much better.

And now, the word coming out of camp is that we have 2 linebacker who are really clicking, and that's before we add our transfer backer.

Some coaches are saying if we played tomorrow Deshaun Davis would be one starting LB. He's fully over his high school injury and practicing with a vengeance. That puts either Tre Williams or Neal on the bench. I hope D. Davis does come through, he's been a good guy and has been "all-Auburn" since the day he committed.

As for "breakout defense", maybe but I'm skeptical about such a huge change in such a very short time.

I just can't see Tre Williams not starting. Do you have some inside info on Davis? Not calling you out or anything - just curious.

I wouldn't call what I've heard inside info, just scuttlebutt. It's not conclusive that Neal will start either. The sentiment was if we had to play tomorrow Davis would be one of the two starting LBs. I know, I know, Neal "wasn't signed to ride the bench". Neither were recent bench warmers King and Moncrief. Sometimes it happens.

From T-Will...

http://auburn.247spo...-at-LB-44538620

Nice find, thanks. That pretty much confirms what I've been hearing about D. Davis.

From T-Will...

http://auburn.247spo...-at-LB-44538620

Nice find, thanks. That pretty much confirms what I've been hearing about D. Davis.

I guess you ignored me because you felt I was being sarcastic but I wasn't. I was wondering where did you hear that was it a source or was it an article. I was interested in knowing about Williams and McBride as IMO it's up to them if we become an elite defense sooner rather than later

From T-Will...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Breakout-spring-Auburns-Davis-steps-to-front-at-LB-44538620

"No arm tackling! I want you to run through someone's soul."

That's a good line right there!

Who is this "bruh" guy??? I fired a guy one time for calling me bruh.

I have never fired anyone for that specific reason. I would though.......

Woah! SHOTS FIRED!! The mindset needs to be "use a guy in the best possible way to fit his abilities/ our needs". Who made this guy DEFENSIVE FREAKING COORDINATOR?!?!? I would know how this works, I was primed and ready in 09' if I hadn't been held back by other forces

Gonna be hard to have a breakout season on D this year unless the LB play proves to be something more than its been. All new starters better step up and prove a lot of folks wrong if that's gonna happen.

Reality King

Archived