State of Baseball

Also, Golloway was not necessarily the bad that everyone thought he was while here IMHO. There were of course some off the field issues, and if the players had a problem with it, you would've seen more than just Connor Short transfer. I think Jacobs had a lot of say so in firing Golloway. Winning helps everything in a program, and like it or not, CSG was winning. He got us to a regional again. He was recruiting well. He was making sure the guys made their grades. Of course he had that spat afterwards that showed a lot of his true character, but from a strictly BASEBALL perspective, I thought the firing of Golloway came too soon. I like Butch, and think he will do well in due time, but there's too much talent on this current team to not at least be over .500 at this point in the season. By no means is Butch on my hot seat, I'm just merely expressing frustration with these guys. Almost this same team went to an NCAA regional last year. They're battle tested in the SEC, yet they can't seem to win. Frustrating

Golloway regardless of his ability to mold us into a good team, created too many issues, regardless of what they were. It seemed every year, there was friction, issues with players, off the field issues, on the field issues. He seemed to create too much of a negative, and regardless of how much he was going to win early on, i felt he would crash and burn the baseball program. There had to be a change...

Also, Golloway was not necessarily the bad that everyone thought he was while here IMHO. There were of course some off the field issues, and if the players had a problem with it, you would've seen more than just Connor Short transfer. I think Jacobs had a lot of say so in firing Golloway. Winning helps everything in a program, and like it or not, CSG was winning. He got us to a regional again. He was recruiting well. He was making sure the guys made their grades. Of course he had that spat afterwards that showed a lot of his true character, but from a strictly BASEBALL perspective, I thought the firing of Golloway came too soon. I like Butch, and think he will do well in due time, but there's too much talent on this current team to not at least be over .500 at this point in the season. By no means is Butch on my hot seat, I'm just merely expressing frustration with these guys. Almost this same team went to an NCAA regional last year. They're battle tested in the SEC, yet they can't seem to win. Frustrating

Golloway regardless of his ability to mold us into a good team, created too many issues, regardless of what they were. It seemed every year, there was friction, issues with players, off the field issues, on the field issues. He seemed to create too much of a negative, and regardless of how much he was going to win early on, i felt he would crash and burn the baseball program. There had to be a change...

But didn't we know this going in? It seemed like every report coming out of Oklahoma said the same thing, that he was a difficult coach to play under. Heck, even the radio and tv people out there seemed to think he was an A**hole most of the time. So we shouldn't have been too surprised when he proved them correct. CBT is someone we can grow with and understands this program and the SEC west. So lets give him the time and support to succeed.

But didn't we know this going in? It seemed like every report coming out of Oklahoma said the same thing, that he was a difficult coach to play under. Heck, even the radio and tv people out there seemed to think he was an A**hole most of the time. So we shouldn't have been too surprised when he proved them correct. CBT is someone we can grow with and understands this program and the SEC west. So lets give him the time and support to succeed.

Nope. Nope. Can't do that. \sarcasm. For some reason, the baseball board on this site has always been very "cliquish," with half hating a coach and the other half loving him, and then when there's a change, the two halves switch. I would hypothesize over the past few years some genuinely want a coach to fail so they can be the first to put "I told you so" on here and then proceed to prop up whoever is his successor or talk up how we never should have gotten rid of his predecessor.

I question whether the allegiances of some are actually to the welfare of the program or to who's at the helm of the program.

I see Pawloski's brother, Nightranger44, has returned to the scene. Pawloski, (bless his heart) was in over his head at Auburn. We are much, much better off with him elsewhere and so is he.

for once i think, I completely agree....not the over his head of course....but both are better off.....AU program continues to spiral down (thanks to CSG and jay jacobs) and CJP continues to win and turn programs around....so agreed

Nope. Nope. Can't do that. \sarcasm. For some reason, the baseball board on this site has always been very "cliquish," with half hating a coach and the other half loving him, and then when there's a change, the two halves switch. I would hypothesize over the past few years some genuinely want a coach to fail so they can be the first to put "I told you so" on here and then proceed to prop up whoever is his successor or talk up how we never should have gotten rid of his predecessor.

I question whether the allegiances of some are actually to the welfare of the program or to who's at the helm of the program.

I never said I liked Golloway totally, I definitely saw a trend, but I did say the hire was too early. The program was beginning to become relevant again, and the players seemed to be fine enough to play under him. If Golloway is a bit of a d*** but was developing our players and helping them become great men in the future, I don't think I would've let him go after two years. Granted, we can't know what happened fully, and the REAL reasons why he was fired, but it seems to me like JJ just didn't like him as a person, and that had a lot to do with his sentiment of letting Golloway go.

We just have to have patience, Thompson is learning on the job just like Malzhan. Give them a few more years (till 2020 maybe?) and we'll know what we have in both sports.

I almost choked when i read your comment about maybe by 2020 we will know what we have.

I surely dont expect to wait 3-4 years to know how CBT coaches or what his teams bring to hopefully the playoffs.

We better have a better idea by 2018, as if we can get pitching and continue getting good hitters we can be a top level team again.

I am a little surprised how bad Cole and some of the others are pitching so poorly. They cant keep the era under 4-5 it seems.

I am really disappointed how many errors we make. It has also hurt our pitchers from getting out of innings with little to no damage.

I just want to see a team improve as the year goes along..that is the sign of good coaching IMO...

I see Pawloski's brother, Nightranger44, has returned to the scene. Pawloski, (bless his heart) was in over his head at Auburn. We are much, much better off with him elsewhere and so is he.

for once i think, I completely agree....not the over his head of course....but both are better off.....AU program continues to spiral down (thanks to CSG and jay jacobs) and CJP continues to win and turn programs around....so agreed

Pawloski, (bless his heart) is were he needs to be. He's a lower-level coach at lower level programs. Auburn and the SEC were two layers over John's head.

Archived