Jax State QB

tmjiv

What you evidently do not realize it is not internet talk. Many people on this board are connected enough to know things that are fact and do not rely on internet talk. Many are personal relationships so they cannot "link" or say how or why they know certain info. This team currently has 3 QB's on staff that can step on the field and possible a fourth. There is no need for depth. The actions of the coaches speak volumes of why they are doing this. We have no idea what the coaches are telling them, but for a guy that is transferring they certainly are not telling him that this team needs depth. IMO they are telling him this team needs a starting QB and he will have every opportunity to do that. Will we get one of the two guys? I don't know for sure, but I think we do. But if we don't, we all need to be concerned.

All the "connected" people have said is that they think such and such player might be coming here. None of them has said that the coaches reached out, that the coaches are concerned, or anything of the sort... That's all speculation. All we know, and that is if we put our faith in those people connections, who probably have far less insight now that Gus has closed ranks with his coaching staff, is that communication might be happening.

Also, you didn't read my post very well if you don't get the depth issue. We have 4 QBs, sure, but we have ONE dual threat and ONE drop back passer that are currently both healthy and reliable. If, by some miracle, John was able to get ready to start in the Fall, and he were to go down (which is entirely possible, given how small he is), we'd be in a world of hurt, because we'd have to change our entire offense to switch QBs. The same holds true if we start Sean and Queen can't get healthy. Suddenly we're forced back into playing Jeremy who may, or may not, have solved his mental issues. There is ZERO argument for not having another quality QB available, and there is a HUGH argument against putting our eggs in the read-option basket without another dual threat ready to go.

Are you so invested in SW being the starter, you cannot see what is going on? Would you use some common sense? There is communication going on. It is not a might. A potential transfer is not coming to be depth. We are not looking for depth. They are coming to run the full offense; throwing and running. We are looking for a QB that can get us that can potentially get us to 10/11 wins. We do not have that at this point. Why is there a huge argument against putting all our eggs in the read option basket? Who was back up for Cam or Nick? I guess we had a DT back up, but they certainly would not run the offense the same. You can't make a decision about your starter because he may/could get hurt.

Are you not reading anything I've posted? I've already stated that if Webb came in, HE would be the starter and if Eli came in, though he would likely need to prove that he can make the read-option more effective, HE would likely be the starter. In BOTH of those scenarios, our current QBs would be the depth. Here's what's really going on. You are so concerned about your doom and gloom line of rhetoric that you are unwilling to listen to logic.

An hell yes you make a decision about your starter because he may or may not get hurt when your choice of starter involves running two COMPLETELY different offensive philosophies and you don't have anyone who can run that same offense if they go down. There's a huge difference between running an offensive philosophy differently and switching philosophies entirely.

Let me spell it out for you. Say Franklin rocks it over the Summer and gets the start. Then a 300+ pound lineman lands on his leg. Up until that point, the entire offense has focused on running the read-option. Gus is left with 2 choices. Start a true freshman or switch gears with the entire offense to run a play-option style attack under Sean... and do it in a week. A good coach sees that and says to himself "hey, this other proven read-option QB is interested in playing here... I'm going to talk to him so that is not even a potential concern". Same scenario is true if Sean starts unless Queen can get and stay healthy. Webb would make that a non-issue, as he would start and Sean would be ready to come in if he went down.

Get it? If not, then there's no getting through to you.

What you don't get is that if any of our current QB's were what our staff thought could do the job, we would no be looking for a transfer. So depth is not the issue and is not part of he decision making process for the coaches. Depth is a natural by product and is not playing into the decision. To think we are looking for another QB for depth purpose is ludicrous. And I am glad to see your football ignorance saying you would not start someone because they may get hurt because there backup may not be the same type player. I can see that conversation now " Coach, Franklin has done an outstanding job this summer. Looks like he is everything we hoped for and can take us to the SEC title. The only problem is that we can't start him because he may get hurt because we have no one behind him that is like him. So it looks like 6 or 7 wins for us because we can start the less qualified guy, and there is an even less qualified guy behind him but at least they are the same type QB". If GM made that can of decision he would be deserved to be fired at the end of the season.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys do realize that all of the talk about looking for another QB is strictly internet rumor at this point, right? The coaches might not be looking at all. If there is real contact, we have no idea who initiated it.

It's not just internet rumor. The coaches are looking, talking, researching, watching film, and have been putting feelers out for weeks. We will have a guaranteed 5 QBs on the roster when fall camp starts. And yet the staff has been canvassing a QB with domestic violence charges hanging over his head >>>>> boss feeling heat on his seat?

All due respect, you have to ignore the quantity of QBs we have and focus on the quality.

1. Sean White- Probably serviceable, possibly good if healthy.

2. Jeremy Johnson- Would need a dramatic turnaround upstairs to be serviceable.

3. John Franklin III- A project from the beginning. Doesn't appear to be a very good passer. May or may not be picking up the playbook.

4. Tyler Queen- RS FR who has barely even practiced due to being out all last season and already injured this spring. Might as well still be a true FR.

5. Woody Barrett- Still in high school.

If you agree with the above assessments even somewhat, does it matter that we have 5 guys? I certainly don't see 2 who I'd feel comfortable going into any given Saturday with. And we need at least 2.

Dang it! I don't want to look at the quality of our Qb's because it depresses the hell out of me that they haven't been developed better in their time at AU. Then I get irritated with Gus & Rhett, then I get pissed when I look at their salaries, then I get agitated at our W-L record the last 2 years, then I get chapped when I look at the last 5 years, then I want to scream when I realize we haven't had even a decent defense in damn near a decade. It's a vicious cycle! :banghead:

TGIF! :bananadance:

Dang it! I don't want to look at the quality of our Qb's because it depresses the hell out of me that they haven't been developed better in their time at AU. Then I get irritated with Gus & Rhett, then I get pissed when I look at their salaries, then I get agitated at our W-L record the last 2 years, then I get chapped when I look at the last 5 years, then I want to scream when I realize we haven't had even a decent defense in damn near a decade. It's a vicious cycle! :banghead:

TGIF! :bananadance:

This post should be stickied and linked to whenever things get out of hand around here. Regardless of specifics, I think it captures the mood of the fanbase quite nicely. Sure, we've had some very high highs, but damn have we had to pay the piper.

Dang it! I don't want to look at the quality of our Qb's because it depresses the hell out of me that they haven't been developed better in their time at AU. Then I get irritated with Gus & Rhett, then I get pissed when I look at their salaries, then I get agitated at our W-L record the last 2 years, then I get chapped when I look at the last 5 years, then I want to scream when I realize we haven't had even a decent defense in damn near a decade. It's a vicious cycle! :banghead:/>

TGIF! :bananadance:/>

Hang in there Buddy !!!

So why not go after him, is my point? If he ends up saving Gus's job, then let's get him.

So we are not going after Jenkins? Seems like an awfully long thread if we're not even going after him?

This is a strange and interesting thread. I just read the last 5 pages and only saw a rare mention of the Jax St QB. I didn't care though as lots of people are bringing interesting opinions about this coming season. We will need good QB play to win games this year. Not sure who that will be. My vote is for either SW or the senior transfer from Texas Tech. I would rather it be someone on our current roster. I really hope Woody comes in the fall and shows his throwing skills are ready for the SEC. Woody is extremely athletic.

All, and I do mean ALL, reports are that Woody is NOT a "plug and play" type high school QB. Every observation I've seen from people that usually know what they are talking about say Woody will need a year of redshirting and at least one more year of backup duty before he's ready for prime time action.

How far back do you want to go? J. Campbell, third year soph before he started and that season didn't work for him. Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig...all 4th year juniors before they took over the controls. Stan White was the youngest starter I can recall having success at QB and he was a redshirt freshman. Developing an SEC QB takes time and Woody is a raw talent at best.

I agree that this could be the case with Woody. I just hope it isn't. I think we are getting ready to see some true freshman QB's have good success. I watched early enrollee Brandon McIIwain, QB for South Carolina in their spring game and he was better than anything we trotted on the field for our Spring game. Kid looks good.

An interesting scenario for Woody would be to have enough success with our starting QB and have Woody progressing well as a backup and get into games for certain play packages, not unlike what the Gators did for Tim Tebow. (not that Woody is like Tebow).

So who do we think the coaches might prefer, Webb or Jenkins? Who do we as fans prefer? And if we want Jenkins, are we prepared to embrace the public image such a move would bring on our fine university?

Jeremy has proven he lacks the fundamental mentality needed to run a high caliber team. He cannot handle any type of pressure, and must not know his own size as a grapefruit could tackle him before he tried to barrel through anyone. His size is his most valuable asset, and yet his least used.

Sean White is simply mediocre across the board. Would work well on a pro style offense, that's not what Gus needs, I actually don't understand why he would be considered a fit/recruited for Gus's offense.

JF3 by default if anything just to avoid throwing Woody Barrett into a mess. John is the only one consistently even speaking like a starting QB. I'd rather watch JF3 hobble us to 6 wins than the same disaster as last year.

Jeremy has proven he lacks the fundamental mentality needed to run a high caliber team. He cannot handle any type of pressure, and must not know his own size as a grapefruit could tackle him before he tried to barrel through anyone. His size is his most valuable asset, and yet his least used.

Sean White is simply mediocre across the board. Would work well on a pro style offense, that's not what Gus needs, I actually don't understand why he would be considered a fit/recruited for Gus's offense.

JF3 by default if anything just to avoid throwing Woody Barrett into a mess. John is the only one consistently even speaking like a starting QB. I'd rather watch JF3 hobble us to 6 wins than the same disaster as last year.

Wait...so you'd rather JF3 hobble (meaning look terrible doing it) us to SIX wins than the SEVEN win disaster last year? As long as he SPEAKS like a QB??? There must be some really good drugs on this forum.

Stats say you're so wrong on so many levels.

But...but...but...

Which stats? I would like to see those.

I've quoted them on several threads already, as have others.

Sean White is simply mediocre across the board. Would work well on a pro style offense, that's not what Gus needs, I actually don't understand why he would be considered a

fit/recruited for Gus's offense.

I've quoted them on several threads already, as have others.

ok. That is easy to say and not back it up. You say look at stats but JJ had better completion percenatge, and QB rating. SW Td to interception ratio was worse than JJ. Yds about the same and SW had a better YPA. Both of our QBs would tank in the 8,9 or 10 rank in the league.

So which stat is it that you have referenced that supports your argument. It looks to me that JJ and SW are about the same statistcally throwing the ball. JJ ran for a few more yds. Neither had any stats that made them more than avg.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH THE STATS SAY SO?!?!?!?!!? I'm so glad SW and JJ had good stats against our competitors 3rd and 4th string defenses when we were down 4 touchdowns, how great, I'm so impressed, I should break out my checkbook to fund the endzone renovation now... JJ and SW are both G5 level QB's... AT BEST. John Franklin 3 is a fresh face who hasn't yet run the program into the ground once handed the reigns, move on...

This thread is frustrating in that obviously those in the know cannot name sources (understandably so), but at the same time there is doubt on whether this is actually even a possibility. :popcorn:

John Franklin 3 should be the starter come fall.

Completely agree, time with receivers this summer and fall camp should go a long way in his progression. SW is serviceable IMO but need a guy with big play ability. Jenkins and Webb are also those type of guys.

Dear lord, just 4 more months. 4 more months and I don't have to read anymore of this offseason drivel BS. Come on Game of Thrones and distract me!

This thread is frustrating in that obviously those in the know cannot name sources (understandably so), but at the same time there is doubt on whether this is actually even a possibility. :popcorn:/>

+1 I've asked about the later atkeast three times the past two weeks.

Archived