Jax State QB

tmjiv

A year of maturity with ANY freshman is valuable to a student-athlete or a regular college student. A year to get your feet under you and learn how to live without momma waking you everyday and reminding you to get your school work done - a year without dad on your ass to take out the trash and bring your ass home by curfew. Just a year to adjust to the independence of college life and navigating your way around campus and managing your academics and social life is huge IMO. I can't imagine the stress our players have on them to be able to manage all of those things + the added responsibilities of the athletic side of the things.

I agree that he needs a RS this year, but I hope WB is ready in '17 if our QB situation this year flops or if we succeed but with a senior QB (JJ, EJ).

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year of maturity with ANY freshman is valuable to a student-athlete or a regular college student. A year to get your feet under you and learn how to live without momma waking you everyday and reminding you to get your school work done - a year without dad on your ass to take out the trash and bring your ass home by curfew. Just a year to adjust to the independence of college life and navigating your way around campus and managing your academics and social life is huge IMO. I can't imagine the stress our players have on them to be able to manage all of those things + the added responsibilities of the athletic side of the things.

I'm always encouraged when somebody on here acknowledges that the players are human beings with lives outside of football (other than pissing and moaning when one of them gets in trouble).

I've got a sophomore at AU right this very minute.

The change in personality alone from fresh to soph year is noticeable - the grades from freshman year to soph year went from a 3.3 GPA to a 3.9 GPA and Dean's List and if everything stays on the current track after finals in a couple of weeks, that GPA will be at or above 4.0.

The ability to handle their own stuff without the wife having to intercede is unbelievable. i.e. Make your own dentist & eye doctor appointments and actually MAKE the dang appointment on time without momma reminding you. Balance your checking account and manage your limited money. Set up appointments with your academic adviser and discuss your current academic path and make plans for the future. Actually "use" the multitude of resources Auburn provides their students, i.e. study sessions, tutoring sessions, writing workshops, professor's office hours and use those resources to help you achieve your academic goals. And use the Auburn counseling services provided basically free of charge to talk with a counselor about everyday life and how to cope and deal with stress, relationships, and your emotions while handling college life.

The freshman year was a kid running around with their head cut off trying to find their classes while getting info on the next beer bash and trying to get the number of the very attractive person sitting in your English 101 class.............

I can tell you were "raised right". I am thankful my Dad stayed on my case constantly.

I'm always encouraged when somebody on here acknowledges that the players are human beings with lives outside of football (other than pissing and moaning when one of them gets in trouble).

The freshman year was a kid running around with their head cut off trying to find their classes while getting info on the next beer bash and trying to get the number of the very attractive person sitting in your English 101 class.............

That wasn't my freshman experience.

One other question I have: is SW durable enough to get through the season? If we can get out of September 2-2 and healthy, I feel good about the rest of the year.

Don't take big hits, and he's plenty big enough. Brandon Cox was 6'2" and 205 lbs. Sean White is 6'0" and 200 lbs. When Brandon had protection, he was really good. When LSU whipped his legs in that 2006 bloodbath, he struggled the rest of the season. Despite what people say, White's size isn't really an issue. He's bigger than John Franklin; bigger than Clint Trickett was (6'1", 190 lbs.); same size as Aaron Murray (6'1", 205 lbs.). Block for him and he's big enough.

Don't take big hits, and he's plenty big enough. Brandon Cox was 6'2" and 205 lbs. Sean White is 6'0" and 200 lbs. When Brandon had protection, he was really good. When LSU whipped his legs in that 2006 bloodbath, he struggled the rest of the season. Despite what people say, White's size isn't really an issue. He's bigger than John Franklin; bigger than Clint Trickett was (6'1", 190 lbs.); same size as Aaron Murray (6'1", 205 lbs.). Block for him and he's big enough.

SW is my prediction to start. his size in not a problem. his body type might be,(fragile) but i think we go with him till we can't. i think he has instinct and accuracy and no fear.

SW is my prediction to start. his size in not a problem. his body type might be,(fragile) but i think we go with him till we can't. i think he has instinct and accuracy and no fear.

I just don't get how 6', 205 pounds is considered a fragile body type. He had a knee injury. Lots of guys have knee injuries. Knee injuries are not related to size or body type anyway.

Just the facts, it takes time to learn a system and not everyone can do it as quickly as Nick Marshall was able. If we add Jenkins and he is healthy and he can learn the playbook, he likely starts.

I just don't get how 6', 205 pounds is considered a fragile body type. He had a knee injury. Lots of guys have knee injuries. Knee injuries are not related to size or body type anyway.

first off I said "might be" . I in no way hold that against him. It is just a distant concern for me, same with Brandon Cox( who I don't think ever benched over 200# and used a Nerf football to losses up). It won't matter one bit whether he gets the nod or not. If he is fragile it wouldn't show up till he gets injured obviously. But as to body type, height and weight has little to do with durability. I am 5'10" 205# which is about the same as tre mason. One carry in a college game I am probably paralyzed.

The ideal situation is to have enough QBs in the pipeline to allow our young QBs the ability to gain experience and develop at a pace they can handle. I think we all recognize and want that. But to be able to do that you have to have 2 commodities, time and options. JJ was suppose to be the guy that provided these younger QBs with the time they needed but it didn't work out that way. The way it unfolded not only took away an option but caused a ripple effect down the roster. Unfortunately we are in a pickle.

The season is fast approaching so we don't have much time and there aren't any proven older QBs on the roster so we don't have many options. If we can strike gold with a grad transfer able to carry the load, like a Webb or Jenkins, to give these younger guys some more time, that's great. But absent that one of these young QBs, likely SW but maybe JF3, is just going to have do the job. He is going to have to do it whether he is ready or not or had enough time to fully develop.

I think SW can do the job. We need to give him the option of a real pass catching TE threat (flats, slants, seam routes, blitz check-offs) to replace the threat of a DT running QB option so defenses can't just tee off on him. The good news is he is just the type of accurate QB that can fully maximize a TE and make a defense really pay. Adding in two big tough RBs with JRob and Pettway will help too.

+1 Good post IronMan.

I think stellar oline production coupled with a solid TE option which ever QB takes the reigns will be better. Protect the QB, give him time and add the option on a dependable TE to the mix and we will see an effective offense.

The ideal situation is to have enough QBs in the pipeline to allow our young QBs the ability to gain experience and develop at a pace they can handle. I think we all want that. But to be able to do that, you have to have 2 commodities, time and other options. JJ was suppose to be the guy that provided these younger QBs with the time but it didn't work out that way. The way it unfolded not only took away an option but caused a ripple effect down the roster.

The season is fast approaching so we don't have much time and there aren't any proven older QBs on the roster so we don't have many options. If we can strike gold with a grad transfer who is able to carry the load, like a Webb or Jenkins, to give these guys some more time, great. Absent that one of these young QBs, likely SW but maybe JF3, is just going to have do the job. He is going to have to do it whether he had enough time to develop or if he is ready or not. Unfortunately we are in a pickle.

I think SW can do the job. We need to give him the option of a real pass catching TE threat (flats, slants, seam routes, blitz check-offs), to replace the option of a DT running QB threat, so they can't just tee off on him. He is just the type of accurate QB that can maximize a TE and really make a defense pay.

You touched on numerous subjects here and I completely agree with your opinion on all of them.

The ideal situation is to have enough QBs in the pipeline to allow our young QBs the ability to gain experience and develop at a pace they can handle. I think we all want that. But to be able to do that, you have to have 2 commodities, time and other options. JJ was suppose to be the guy that provided these younger QBs with the time but it didn't work out that way. The way it unfolded not only took away an option but caused a ripple effect down the roster.

The season is fast approaching so we don't have much time and there aren't any proven older QBs on the roster so we don't have many options. If we can strike gold with a grad transfer who is able to carry the load, like a Webb or Jenkins, to give these guys some more time, great. Absent that one of these young QBs, likely SW but maybe JF3, is just going to have do the job. He is going to have to do it whether he had enough time to develop or if he is ready or not. Unfortunately we are in a pickle.

I think SW can do the job. We need to give him the option of a real pass catching TE threat (flats, slants, seam routes, blitz check-offs), to replace the option of a DT running QB threat, so they can't just tee off on him. He is just the type of accurate QB that can maximize a TE and really make a defense pay.

You touched on numerous subjects here and I completely agree with your opinion on all of them.

Likewise....and considering how much sense all of that makes...and that we have a $4Million dollar coach, I'm expecting that Gus has been able to arrive at a similar conclusion.

So Iron?.....how much is your consulting fee? Bet you would come cheaper than Art Briles. :)

Well, our offense last year was kind of what you are describing. We did not have a TE threat last year, but what you describe is a short passing game. That is actually what JJ did more of. Our O line was pretty good protecting the passer. We were better than most teams in the SEC. I think LSU and Arky were the best. I believe our staff continue to look for a QB, not because of development issues, but because of talent issues. Just to be fair that JJ had the higher QB rating and the higher completion percentage last year while SW had a higher YPA.

If we have to rely on any of our current QB's next year, I expect our O to look a lot like 2015. Just my opinion, but this O requires a very good QB.

+1 Good post IronMan.

I think stellar oline production coupled with a solid TE option which ever QB takes the reigns will be better. Protect the QB, give him time and add the option on a dependable TE to the mix and we will see an effective offense.

The point about a quality, pass catching tight end can't be touched on enough, especially absent the threat of a running quarterback.

The ideal situation is to have enough QBs in the pipeline to allow our young QBs the ability to gain experience and develop at a pace they can handle. I think we all recognize and want that. But to be able to do that you have to have 2 commodities, time and options. JJ was suppose to be the guy that provided these younger QBs with the time they needed but it didn't work out that way. The way it unfolded not only took away an option but caused a ripple effect down the roster. Unfortunately we are in a pickle.

The season is fast approaching so we don't have much time and there aren't any proven older QBs on the roster so we don't have many options. If we can strike gold with a grad transfer able to carry the load, like a Webb or Jenkins, to give these younger guys some more time, that's great. But absent that one of these young QBs, likely SW but maybe JF3, is just going to have do the job. He is going to have to do it whether he is ready or not or had enough time to fully develop.

I think SW can do the job. We need to give him the option of a real pass catching TE threat (flats, slants, seam routes, blitz check-offs) to replace the threat of a DT running QB option so defenses can't just tee off on him. The good news is he is just the type of accurate QB that can fully maximize a TE and make a defense really pay. Adding in two big tough RBs with JRob and Pettway will help too.

Likewise....and considering how much sense all of that makes...and that we have a $4Million dollar coach, I'm expecting that Gus has been able to arrive at a similar conclusion.

So Iron?.....how much is your consulting fee? Bet you would come cheaper than Art Briles. :)/>

HAHA yeah, I think he knows too, well at least I hope so. Give me 9 or 10 wins and it's pro bono. After that it gets expensive.

+1 on both

Well, our offense last year was kind of what you are describing. We did not have a TE threat last year, but what you describe is a short passing game. That is actually what JJ did more of. Our O line was pretty good protecting the passer. We were better than most teams in the SEC. I think LSU and Arky were the best. I believe our staff continue to look for a QB, not because of development issues, but because of talent issues. Just to be fair that JJ had the higher QB rating and the higher completion percentage last year while SW had a higher YPA.

If we have to rely on any of our current QB's next year, I expect our O to look a lot like 2015. Just my opinion, but this O requires a very good QB.

I didn't mean to leave the impression that the short passing game is all of it, it's only part. Last year we didn't have the threat of a running QB or a receiving TE. Defenses didn't have to account for either which made it harder on the QB and much too easy on the defense. If we are going to be using a non-running QB, you would see a major difference with the threat of a receiving TE as a committed part of the offense.

Who is this mysterious TE that we added to the roster? From every account I've heard, Landon Rice isn't physically ready to be an in-line TE. I haven't heard a lot of noise about Jalen Harris. Those are the only scholarship TEs on the roster. Regardless of what we pay him, I don't think Gus can make a game-affecting TE out of thin air.

Realistically, we need one of the big-bodied WRs to play in the slot of provide a large target. The best example of this in recent Auburn years is Anthony Mix. He wasn't a TE, but he filled a very similar role in the passing game. We also need to utilize the HBs, which we actually have and trust, as safety valves in the passing game, not just blockers. Those guys are positioned to fill the check-down, flats, and even a wheel/seam route.

Jalen Harris will be entering his 3rd year right? Why can't he take the leading role at TE and provide stability at the position and be a threat? By now with the training and development he's received over the past 2 1/2 yrs, he should be ready to be the go to guy. If we can't count on our juniors to step up big and contribute, then we have a problem with the process for development.

How feasible is it that an FCS QB is actually better than any of the guys we have on the roster right now?

Keesler, I think it's Harris' 2nd season on the team.

Jalen Harris will be entering his 3rd year right? Why can't he take the leading role at TE and provide stability at the position and be a threat? By now with the training and development he's received over the past 2 1/2 yrs, he should be ready to be the go to guy. If we can't count on our juniors to step up big and contribute, then we have a problem with the process for development.

only 2nd year I think. Not sure tho

^I hope this is correct. I definitely think a healthy SW would've beaten Georgia last year.

If Ricardo holds on to the ball and we don't have a special teams breakdown, we beat them anyways.

Harris had one season redshirting. He's never seen the field, and he was always going to have some growing to do to become an end-of-the-line TE.

Archived