Jax State QB

tmjiv

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^"At best?" So even once he matures he's no better than anyone else on our roster? I find that hard to believe. :/

I'd find it hard to believe too, if anybody had actually said such a thing.

If he's our only shot at a good season, Gus needs to pursue him hard.

Oh, and what do we do if Mikey is correct and Barrett needs an extra year as backup in '17?

Seriously, why does nearly everyone else have a ready-to-go by sophomore, RS freshman, or in Georgia's case true freshman starter, while we may not be able to get adequate (Chris Todd '09 level) play?

If we could get that level of play, I think 9-4 would be very achievable. getting it of course is much easier said than done.

We don't want Gatewood to come in in 2018 desperately needing him right away. We have to develop a QB out of HS eventually, and Barrett needs to be that QB.

Do we have a time table for when we can expect an announcement, if he were to come?

No... and we won't have one either. Just like the Webb situation, this will all happen behind the scenes, because he currently plays for another team and has not left that team. As far as Auburn is concerned, if they are talking to him, they will deny it if asked on the record. If he wants to come here and Auburn wants him, the first official news anyone will here is that it's a done deal. Since he is Jacksonville's starting QB, if he has any love for them, he'd make the move quickly, so that they have the maximum amount of time to adjust to a new QB.

Wait... so even if Gus were to be asked a direct question about a recruit... and even if he did give an unambiguous answer... his answer might still not be entirely honest?

He wouldn't give an unambiguous answer... he will not give an answer at all. They aren't allowed to talk about recruits and they aren't allowed to initiate contact with players on another team.

If he's our only shot at a good season, Gus needs to pursue him hard.

Gus can't pursue him hard. He's not even an eligible recruit at this point. If Gus initiates contact with him, directly, he will be in NCAA violation.

Oh, and what do we do if Mikey is correct and Barrett needs an extra year as backup in '17?

Some of us haven't given up on our current QBs.

Seriously, why does nearly everyone else have a ready-to-go by sophomore, RS freshman, or in Georgia's case true freshman starter, while we may not be able to get adequate (Chris Todd '09 level) play?

If we could get that level of play, I think 9-4 would be very achievable. getting it of course is much easier said than done.

As has been mentioned MANY times, Sean, a redshirt freshman, was giving Chris Todd level play until he got hurt. He just had no help from his receivers. The majority of people believe Sean will be good enough to have a successful season, but agree that if we could bring in a star QB, it would give us a boost this year, while he continues to get better for next year. The majority also realize that it would not be a bad thing to have one more good back-up available, especially with Queen getting hurt again in his first scrimmage.

As far as Auburn is concerned, if they are talking to him, they will deny it if asked on the record.

He wouldn't give an unambiguous answer... he will not give an answer at all.

I'm confused.

Where on earth did you come up with this? What schools are you talking about? "Nearly everyone else"?

Btw, there's no guarantee that Eason will start, but even if he does... did you see his competition last year? You're talking about one of the better QB prospects of the last couple years going up against absolute garbage. Yeah, he might get to start.

Where on earth did you come up with this? What schools are you talking about? "Nearly everyone else"?

Btw, there's no guarantee that Eason will start, but even if he does... did you see his competition last year? You're talking about one of the better QB prospects of the last couple years going up against absolute garbage. Yeah, he might get to start.

Eason also hasn't played a single down in an SEC game. I'll reserve my opinion until he does. I think SW is plenty capable of being a successful QB for us if they tweak the O to play more to his style. There's no reason for SW to be running a zone read.

If Eason starts, that team is going to be a four to six loss team. They might be set up for the future, but UGA has been down this road with freshman starting QBs. Stafford's freshman year, he won the job. The team started 6-4 with losses to Vandy and Kentucky before spoiling our 11-win season and winning out. Stafford threw 13 INTs to 7 TDs. Murray also won the job as a freshman. The team upset Georgia Tech to reach bowl eligibility and finished 6-7. Murray was downright dazzling with a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

If a team is starting a freshman in this league, it's out of desperation, not choice.

Oh, and Jason Campbell started as a redshirt freshman. He lost the job mid-season and won it back as a sophomore. Fun side note: Jason lost the QB1 job against Florida in 2001, with Daniel Cobb taking over early in the game. A year later, Jason took over at the start of the second half for an ineffective Daniel Cobb against Florida in the Swamp. If Duval makes a 23-yard FG, Campbell leads a comeback from a 16-point fourth quarter deficit.

I can't think of any recent QBs other than Manziel and Jameis that just happened to be better as freshman than the other competing QBs. It's a very rare thing.

As far as Auburn is concerned, if they are talking to him, they will deny it if asked on the record.

I'm confused.

Come on Loof... you drug Gus into this when I said Auburn would deny that they were talking to him. I realize that you are poking at me because I took the opposing side of yours, in wanting to believe that Gus is truthful when he talks, in another thread.

Here... let me be all direct for you.

If that athletic department is asked about contact with him, they will likely deny it.

If Gus is directly asked about it, he will likely say that he is not allowed to comment on such things.

Happy?

I'm confused.

Come on Loof... you drug Gus into this when I said Auburn would deny that they were talking to him. I realize that you are poking at me because I took the opposing side of yours, in wanting to believe that Gus is truthful when he talks, in another thread.

Here... let me be all direct for you.

If that athletic department is asked about contact with him, they will likely deny it.

If Gus is directly asked about it, he will likely say that he is not allowed to comment on such things.

Happy?

Actually, my initial response to your post was with another poster in mind. But then I was confused by what followed. I suppose I'm more clear now on what you meant.

And no matter how much of a jerk I act like, I don't begrudge you your desire to believe what the man says. I wish I could, also.

Eason also hasn't played a single down in an SEC game. I'll reserve my opinion until he does. I think SW is plenty capable of being a successful QB for us if they tweak the O to play more to his style. There's no reason for SW to be running a zone read.

We saw what our offense looks like without the zone read. Very, very average. If CGM thought our current crop of QB's could be successful by tweaking the O, I think he would do just that. His actions concerning continuing to look for a QB tells me to expect a lot of the same with our current on campus QB's.

^Honeatly though, it still seems up in the air as to whether he's actually looking. Makes perfect sense for him to be completely quiet about it if he is.

Mcgufm: I so very much hope you're right about GA.

I can't think of any recent QBs other than Manziel and Jameis that just happened to be better as freshman than the other competing QBs. It's a very rare thing.

Yes it is rare.

Yes it is rare.

And both of those guys had a year in between HS and college to mature (I use that loosely though).

Yes it is rare.

And both of those guys had a year in between HS and college to mature (I use that loosely though).

Ironic that the two people who had the skill set to jump straight into starter at the college level also have HUGE personality issues. Make you wonder if it nature or nurture.

I read that Winston actually was outperforming EJ Manuel at FSU during his true-FR year but since he was a senior they convinced Jameis to redshirt and let Manuel play out his senior season. Immature or not, they were both great college QBs

Yes it is rare.

Ironic that the two people who had the skill set to jump straight into starter at the college level also have HUGE personality issues. Make you wonder if it nature or nurture.

the big thing is that they were allowed to be themselves, even to their own demise. But, like I said they didn't jump straight in. Manziel was redshirted and Winston played baseball first.

A year of maturity with ANY freshman is valuable to a student-athlete or a regular college student. A year to get your feet under you and learn how to live without momma waking you everyday and reminding you to get your school work done - a year without dad on your ass to take out the trash and bring your ass home by curfew. Just a year to adjust to the independence of college life and navigating your way around campus and managing your academics and social life is huge IMO. I can't imagine the stress our players have on them to be able to manage all of those things + the added responsibilities of the athletic side of the things.

A year of maturity with ANY freshman is valuable to a student-athlete or a regular college student. A year to get your feet under you and learn how to live without momma waking you everyday and reminding you to get your school work done - a year without dad on your ass to take out the trash and bring your ass home by curfew. Just a year to adjust to the independence of college life and navigating your way around campus and managing your academics and social life is huge IMO. I can't imagine the stress our players have on them to be able to manage all of those things + the added responsibilities of the athletic side of the things.

I'm always encouraged when somebody on here acknowledges that the players are human beings with lives outside of football (other than pissing and moaning when one of them gets in trouble).

Archived