Jax State QB

tmjiv

Turning down Webb could be the equivalent of turning down Russel Wilson. He's probably not THAT good, but he's could be the best QB in the SEC if he comes here.

Before anybody freaks out about this, take a look around the league. Not many NFL guys to be found. I completely agree that Webb could be better than all of them. Emphasis on could. I don't think lion was in any way making a prediction, but of course some really witty bro is going to chime in with "Now we're sayin' Webb is the best QB in the ESS-EE-SEE!!! Boy howdy, don't that beat all!!!"

Sean, if only for lack of game time experience, will be middle of the pack, if he starts, and hopefully work his way up during the year.

Agreed again.

The only person it would really hurt is Jeremy, and barring a miracle, that ship has sailed anyway. Sean still has 2 years after 2016, so he could use Webb coming in as an opportunity to get better and really shine in 2017, assuming he doesn't get beat out by Woody.

Amen and pass the biscuits. Speaking of...

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turning down Webb could be the equivalent of turning down Russel Wilson. He's probably not THAT good, but he's could be the best QB in the SEC if he comes here.

Before anybody freaks out about this, take a look around the league. Not many NFL guys to be found. I completely agree that Webb could be better than all of them. Emphasis on could. I don't think lion was in any way making a prediction, but of course some really witty bro is going to chime in with "Now we're sayin' Webb is the best QB in the ESS-EE-SEE!!! Boy howdy, don't that beat all!!!"

I'm going to say he could be second best. Chad Kelly doesn't look like he will be relinquishing that number one spot.

I'm going to say he could be second best. Chad Kelly doesn't look like he will be relinquishing that number one spot.

It would be a fun competition to watch. Of course, for Webb to shine at Auburn, our freshman receivers would need to be as good as advertised and ready to play from day 1.

I agree that it's highly unlikely, no doubt. Honestly, his was the one name that really gave me pause.

This Webb deal is not some indictment on the staff. Let's face it...JJ had a mental breakdown. Not due to coaching. SW is a solid QB, but may not be quite ready to win it all. TQ is injured again. JF3 needs more work to become the guy. SW, JF3 and TQ are all not seniors. Bringing in a 1 and done would only give those guys another year to develop into better QBs. It would also give those guys an experienced QB to learn under rather than a head case. It's a win win situation, not a win now lose everything in the future scenario everyone is making it out to be.

Way too many instances of failure to not blame coaching, especially if we have yet another 6-loss season. We should not be at the bottom of the SEC west on an annual basis.

One aspect of this situation that has only lightly been touched on is the OL. Just about everyone seems to think that if we only plug in the right QB then the offense will click again. QB may be the biggest part of the solution but how can anyone think the fix is this simple is beyond me.

WR performance as a unit has been mediocre at best since forever. I'm not as broken up as most that Craig moved on. Maybe Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis along with some of the stud freshmen are going to provide some explosiveness. However, potential and delivering on the field are two different things. Maybe the more experienced WRs will step up, but they haven't seemed particularly effective so far.

However, with the changes at OL, it is going to take a while simply for the starters to gel. You've got two, largely unproven, new starters at tackle and a new starting center. I know Gholson and Leff have played, but none of the three started in 2015 at the positions they are slated to start in 2016. The key to having a productive offense begins with having an established OL. I think the coaches have the best 5 on the field, but how they perform as a unit is entirely unknown. I think they've got the run-blocking down, but there were a lot of breakdowns in regards to pass-blocking last season. That is going to have to improve before you see any improvement over the 2015 offense.

Until the new tackles prove what they can do, then I think durability is a major factor at QB. This is why I think Johnson will be the starter at the beginning of the season. White has the potential to be a better overall QB, but he needs good protection to be effective. If the new OL has a tendency to give up sacks, White simply won't survive, especially against SEC defenses. Franklin provides better mobility, but you have to know that the opposing defense is going to stack the box and dare Franklin to throw it. Only Johnson has a run/pass skill set that might prove effective.

I think this is Malzahn and Lashlee's mindset on the QB situation. If the WRs and OL step up and do their part, then, yeah, I think we will see more of White than Johnson in 2016, but I think Johnson is going to be the starter against Clemson.

Bringing in Davis Webb may be the short-term solution. However, expect one or more QBs to transfer if he does come to Auburn. Don't think for a second that Malzahn isn't more worried about losing QBs than he is bringing in another one.

Both the WRs and OL may become strengths in time, but it seems way too over-simplified to me to place all the blame at the feet of the QBs. I have confidence in the RBs, and, if the WRs and OL perform, then I think any of the healthy QBs already in the program will be effective.

I stick to my position that I don't care who we roll out there as long as we win. Defense will be better with Lawson healthy. We just need a guy to be adequate. Surely someone on the roster can be adequate, dare I even say a "game manager."

E, it depends on what you think of as concrete steps. We're taking steps to get Webb on campus, but we still haven't offered. It's the same for high school kids that aren't at the top of our board. We woo them. We want them to visit. But until that offer is extended, it's just words.

Again. In these types of sitches an "offer" is not going to come until & unless the staff already knows he will take it. It's similar to no offers made to new coaches til it's known they are going to take the job. PR move. No since pissing off the current QBs w/ a public offer & not get the guy.

^^^And that is why I think some of the decisions the staff has made on the OL this spring are moronic. Breaking in Dampeer at center instead of Golson not only makes us inexperienced this year, but also for next year. What's the point of breaking in a new center just to have to break in another one the next year when we have the option of returning a starting center for two straight years?

If we're going to move guys around and start new guys who won't be back next year, there is zero excuse for the OL to not be a strength. Because if the OL struggles this year, it's going to struggle for at least another year (and possibly the next two).

^^^And that is why I think some of the decisions the staff has made on the OL this spring are moronic. Breaking in Dampeer at center instead of Golson not only makes us inexperienced this year, but also for next year. What's the point of breaking in a new center just to have to break in another one the next year when we have the option of returning a starting center for two straight years?

If we're going to move guys around and start new guys who won't be back next year, there is zero excuse for the OL to not be a strength. Because if the OL struggles this year, it's going to struggle for at least another year (and possibly the next two).

I think you are the same as NewDay22, you get mad at the floor for being underneath your feet. Good grief you must not have a positive bone in your body.

Just because you don't understand why, doesn't mean it's moronic. In fact, its kinda moronic to question professionals in a field you don't have the same expertise.

With our schedule, I think we reach 8-10 with SW.

if SW does well, like all Sec mention and we win 10+ with a potent offense, who will this board credit for SW's development?

One aspect of this situation that has only lightly been touched on is the OL. Just about everyone seems to think that if we only plug in the right QB then the offense will click again. QB may be the biggest part of the solution but how can anyone think the fix is this simple is beyond me.

WR performance as a unit has been mediocre at best since forever. I'm not as broken up as most that Craig moved on. Maybe Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis along with some of the stud freshmen are going to provide some explosiveness. However, potential and delivering on the field are two different things. Maybe the more experienced WRs will step up, but they haven't seemed particularly effective so far.

However, with the changes at OL, it is going to take a while simply for the starters to gel. You've got two, largely unproven, new starters at tackle and a new starting center. I know Gholson and Leff have played, but none of the three started in 2015 at the positions they are slated to start in 2016. The key to having a productive offense begins with having an established OL. I think the coaches have the best 5 on the field, but how they perform as a unit is entirely unknown. I think they've got the run-blocking down, but there were a lot of breakdowns in regards to pass-blocking last season. That is going to have to improve before you see any improvement over the 2015 offense.

Until the new tackles prove what they can do, then I think durability is a major factor at QB. This is why I think Johnson will be the starter at the beginning of the season. White has the potential to be a better overall QB, but he needs good protection to be effective. If the new OL has a tendency to give up sacks, White simply won't survive, especially against SEC defenses. Franklin provides better mobility, but you have to know that the opposing defense is going to stack the box and dare Franklin to throw it. Only Johnson has a run/pass skill set that might prove effective.

I think this is Malzahn and Lashlee's mindset on the QB situation. If the WRs and OL step up and do their part, then, yeah, I think we will see more of White than Johnson in 2016, but I think Johnson is going to be the starter against Clemson.

Bringing in Davis Webb may be the short-term solution. However, expect one or more QBs to transfer if he does come to Auburn. Don't think for a second that Malzahn isn't more worried about losing QBs than he is bringing in another one.

Both the WRs and OL may become strengths in time, but it seems way too over-simplified to me to place all the blame at the feet of the QBs. I have confidence in the RBs, and, if the WRs and OL perform, then I think any of the healthy QBs already in the program will be effective.

Probably the most well thought out and delivered posts I have read on this board in a long, long time.

Pretty spot on too. All except the JJ being the best option. He should be the best option, particularly the way you characterized the OL issues, but I'm not convinced that his only problem has been poor OL play. As for the WR corps, I couldn't agree more and said basically the same thing a week or so ago in another thread.

I'm sure watching a game with Went is an absolute pleasure.

I think you are the same as NewDay22, you get mad at the floor for being underneath your feet. Good grief you must not have a positive bone in your body.

Never visit the game day threads if you can help it. You think Went is bad? Add another dozen or so posters saying the same crap.

I have learned that lesson. I have most of them on ignore, including went. I only see he/she/shim's post when they are quoted.

Never visit the game day threads if you can help it. You think Went is bad? Add another dozen or so posters saying the same crap.

At this point, personally, I take everything WDE says with large grains of kosher salt. Who knows? He may end up being correct, but it's been obvious for some time now that somebody pissed in his Cheerios.

I don't get the whole "we're so desperate" thing. We're surveying our options. We haven't offered Davis Webb. From everything I've seen or read, we haven't offered Eli Jenkins. When or if we do, that will be the first concrete step taken to land either guy. Hard to tell anyone we're in full-court press mode without an offer. If we were so serious about them, make a public offer. We haven't, which tells me we're still in evaluation mode.

I saw plenty to like and plenty to dislike at A-day. I'll wait to see if we improve on both those areas before the Clemson game. Anyone pretending like they know what this season holds is a flat-out liar, especially when it comes to Auburn. We're the hardest team to rely on and tge hardest team to count out. It's not my money (I donate to the university, not the AD) and it's not my identity (I have faith, family, and work well ahead of AU football for that). I'll just wait and see what our guys can do.

Bingo...

So so true.....................

Gameday threads are rough on most any team board, we are no different.

True but there's only one a4e....

Are you sure? I think he has some aspiring clones.

Archived