Jax State QB

tmjiv

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gameday threads are rough on most any team board, we are no different.

who has ever been on another team's game day board?

Gameday threads are rough on most any team board, we are no different.

who has ever been on another team's game day board?

SDS or some other blog has a weekly fan meltdown article every week fwiw.

^^^And that is why I think some of the decisions the staff has made on the OL this spring are moronic. Breaking in Dampeer at center instead of Golson not only makes us inexperienced this year, but also for next year. What's the point of breaking in a new center just to have to break in another one the next year when we have the option of returning a starting center for two straight years?

If we're going to move guys around and start new guys who won't be back next year, there is zero excuse for the OL to not be a strength. Because if the OL struggles this year, it's going to struggle for at least another year (and possibly the next two).

I personally wanted to keep the same three guys at Center, LG, RG because that would be a solid interior unit that had played together but that would have left us with one tackle Leff with some experience and another tackle with no experience which would not make any QB very comfortable. With the switch the coaches have made we get Dampeer at Center who was neck and neck with Golson last year we get Golson at tackle which he played as a freshman and we get Leff at this time at the other tackle. I would not be surprised to see one of the other players beating out Leff during fall. If another player does beat out Leff then following year we only have 1 new player at Center and that would probably be Kim who is being groomed for the position.

The coaches see the players during practice they are not making decisions in a vacuum. Without actually seeing the players during practice it is very difficult as a fan not to try and determine what the best starting line-up would be. But what ever I personally come up with is an opinion based only on what I saw last year and I am smart enough to know that people who coach for a living at this level who also see players on a daily basis will put together a better starting lineup then I could.

As a semi-knowlegable fan I do reserve the right after a play goes south using my perfect 100% hindsight of calling the play a mistake and ask what was the coach thinking?

With the switch the coaches have made we get Dampeer at Center who was neck and neck with Golson last year

This. People forget that X could have easily ended up as our center last year had a certain wide receiver not lost his mind.

Good points about X. I was really worried about the center position last year, and I think my concerns were justified until Golson settled down around midseason. So naturally I'm scared at the prospect of changing centers again, but it might be a different situation with X than it was with Golson last year. And it will be a very, very different story at LT. A pair of 7s beats a 9 and a 3?

I am glad x is getting a shot. He has been around for a while now and always seemed just on the edge of playing time.

Good points about X. I was really worried about the center position last year, and I think my concerns were justified until Golson settled down around midseason. So naturally I'm scared at the prospect of changing centers again, but it might be a different situation with X than it was with Golson last year. And it will be a very, very different story at LT. A pair of 7s beats a 9 and a 3?

You can split a pair of 7s. A 9 and a 3 and your likely to bust...

What was the deal with recruiting him in high school? Why did he end up at Jacksonville State instead of a D1 school? I'm guessing he developed and excelled at Jax State now we want him (supposedly)?

What was the deal with recruiting him in high school? Why did he end up at Jacksonville State instead of a D1 school? I'm guessing he developed and excelled at Jax State now we want him (supposedly)?

He came out as part of the 2012 class but I can't even find a profile on him, so yeah he just wasn't a bigtime recruit.

That year we took Jonathan Wallace, and....Zeke Pike instead

He came out as part of the 2012 class but I can't even find a profile on him, so yeah he just wasn't a bigtime recruit.

That year we took Jonathan Wallace, and....Zeke Pike instead

He probably was not worth a scholly from us or any legit D1 school out of HS. Jonathan Wallace was a scholly we had to burn and we used it on him. This is where Jenkins was. Zeke Pike was a legit recruit for a while but demonstrated he was an idiot off of the field. We only took him because Ted Roof and Zeke's Daddy were buddies at GT. AU hoped we could straighten Pike out, but AU could not.

wde

This is a strange and interesting thread. I just read the last 5 pages and only saw a rare mention of the Jax St QB. I didn't care though as lots of people are bringing interesting opinions about this coming season. We will need good QB play to win games this year. Not sure who that will be. My vote is for either SW or the senior transfer from Texas Tech. I would rather it be someone on our current roster. I really hope Woody comes in the fall and shows his throwing skills are ready for the SEC. Woody is extremely athletic.

This is a strange and interesting thread. I just read the last 5 pages and only saw a rare mention of the Jax St QB. I didn't care though as lots of people are bringing interesting opinions about this coming season. We will need good QB play to win games this year. Not sure who that will be. My vote is for either SW or the senior transfer from Texas Tech. I would rather it be someone on our current roster. I really hope Woody comes in the fall and shows his throwing skills are ready for the SEC. Woody is extremely athletic.

All, and I do mean ALL, reports are that Woody is NOT a "plug and play" type high school QB. Every observation I've seen from people that usually know what they are talking about say Woody will need a year of redshirting and at least one more year of backup duty before he's ready for prime time action.

How far back do you want to go? J. Campbell, third year soph before he started and that season didn't work for him. Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig...all 4th year juniors before they took over the controls. Stan White was the youngest starter I can recall having success at QB and he was a redshirt freshman. Developing an SEC QB takes time and Woody is a raw talent at best.

^"At best?" So even once he matures he's no better than anyone else on our roster? I find that hard to believe. :/

^"At best?" So even once he matures he's no better than anyone else on our roster? I find that hard to believe. :/

Dude... don't pick a fight with Mikey. "At best" means when he's performing his very best at his current capability level. No one knows what his actual ceiling is, but as Mikey clearly stated, he's got a lot of work ahead to change raw potential into SEC level performance.

Jenkins is a really good. I wish we had signed him 4 years. If we had, he might have been in the running for the Heisman.

I don't think that is what Mikey meant.He is talking right now out of high school.

Do we have a time table for when we can expect an announcement, if he were to come?

No... and we won't have one either. Just like the Webb situation, this will all happen behind the scenes, because he currently plays for another team and has not left that team. As far as Auburn is concerned, if they are talking to him, they will deny it if asked on the record. If he wants to come here and Auburn wants him, the first official news anyone will here is that it's a done deal. Since he is Jacksonville's starting QB, if he has any love for them, he'd make the move quickly, so that they have the maximum amount of time to adjust to a new QB.

Do we have a time table for when we can expect an announcement, if he were to come?

No... and we won't have one either. Just like the Webb situation, this will all happen behind the scenes, because he currently plays for another team and has not left that team. As far as Auburn is concerned, if they are talking to him, they will deny it if asked on the record. If he wants to come here and Auburn wants him, the first official news anyone will here is that it's a done deal. Since he is Jacksonville's starting QB, if he has any love for them, he'd make the move quickly, so that they have the maximum amount of time to adjust to a new QB.

Wait... so even if Gus were to be asked a direct question about a recruit... and even if he did give an unambiguous answer... his answer might still not be entirely honest?

Wait... so even if Gus were to be asked a direct question about a recruit... and even if he did give an unambiguous answer... his answer might still not be entirely honest?

I don't think coaches are allowed to comment on recruits that haven't signed are they? Or is that NCAA rule just for HS prospects only?

In all honesty, I'm don't want this kid. The domestic violence charges may have been or will be dropped - but the stain is still there.

Archived