Jax State QB

tmjiv

I agree with an earlier post that Gus is going to use the h-backs/tailback/blockers to be the safety valve for us this year rather than a tight end. I would love to see a tight end get into our offense though!

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe we're working toward adding the TE back into the offense, but the position has been both under-recruited (this staff and the previous one) AND impacted by tragedy. This would be the season we expected Jakell Mitchell to have a major role (3 years on campus), but tragically, he never had the chance.

On top of losing Mitchell, Darrion Hutcherson (c/o 2012) didn't qualify and had to hit JUCO. We didn't sign a TE in the class of 2013, which isn't entirely Gus' fault. Then, Chris Laye (c/o 2014) never really developed and transferred. Effectively, that means we had three years without signing a TE. You can't just snap your fingers and make that disappear. We need to develop Harris and Rice and continue signing TEs each season. By next year, I would expect Harris and/or Rice to have a solid role in the offense.

I believe we're working toward adding the TE back into the offense, but the position has been both under-recruited (this staff and the previous one) AND impacted by tragedy. This would be the season we expected Jakell Mitchell to have a major role (3 years on campus), but tragically, he never had the chance.

On top of losing Mitchell, Darrion Hutcherson (c/o 2012) didn't qualify and had to hit JUCO. We didn't sign a TE in the class of 2013, which isn't entirely Gus' fault. Then, Chris Laye (c/o 2014) never really developed and transferred. Effectively, that means we had three years without signing a TE. You can't just snap your fingers and make that disappear. We need to develop Harris and Rice and continue signing TEs each season. By next year, I would expect Harris and/or Rice to have a solid role in the offense.

Form what I've read, the coaches are pretty high on Rice. The only negative I've read about him is that he needs to bulk up.

Three years without signing a TE + a couple of misses on dual threat QB recruits resulting in Gus having to take pocker-passer QBs + weak WR recruiting (until this latest class)....no wonder this offense has struggled the last 2 years. My goodness.

Three years without signing a TE + a couple of misses on dual threat QB recruits resulting in Gus having to take pocker-passer QBs + weak WR recruiting (until this latest class)....no wonder this offense has struggled the last 2 years. My goodness.

Yup... funny how top 10 classes can mean next to nothing when you aren't getting the right players. I do think last years class showed that Gus has learned from his mistakes.

Yup... funny how top 10 classes can mean next to nothing when you aren't getting the right players. I do think last years class showed that Gus has learned from his mistakes.

So true. For instance, Ole Miss missed on some defensive needs of theirs this year, but their class was ranked really high.

Lol. You guys still think we're scrambling for qb's and the guy that come in isn't being told he will start? Wow.

Lol. You guys still think we're scrambling for qb's and the guy that come in isn't being told he will start? Wow.

Wow is right. Coaches are showing us exactly what they think. They have seen are current QBs play. Since they are looking for a senior

transfer they must not believe the current QBs have the talent/ability that is needed. A transfer is not being brought in for back up or split time. He is being told he will start, especially if it is a guy that hasn't even announced he is transferring.

Wow is right. Coaches are showing us exactly what they think. They have seen are current QBs play. Since they are looking for a senior

transfer they must not believe the current QBs have the talent/ability that is needed. A transfer is not being brought in for back up or split time. He is being told he will start, especially if it is a guy that hasn't even announced he is transferring.

The coaches have obviously watched film on Jenkins, just as they obviously know more than me. I personally have not been able to stomach watching the Jacksonville State game again. That said, I distinctly remember being much more impressed with their WR play than I was Jenkins. I don't remember Jenkins himself displaying anything that I don't think White or JJ (when he played well) could do. I do remember at least two Jacksonville State WR's making a lot of athletic plays. If anything, I thought they made Jenkins look better than he actually is.

Do we even know for a fact that we are considering Jenkins? Seems like I've seen some sources on here mention it but not from anybody like Neihbuhr, Matthews, Lee,etc. Not recently anyway.

The coaches have obviously watched film on Jenkins, just as they obviously know more than me. I personally have not been able to stomach watching the Jacksonville State game again. That said, I distinctly remember being much more impressed with their WR play than I was Jenkins. I don't remember Jenkins himself displaying anything that I don't think White or JJ (when he played well) could do. I do remember at least two Jacksonville State WR's making a lot of athletic plays. If anything, I thought they made Jenkins look better than he actually is.

EJ has tremendous wheels. The rest I agree.

EJ has tremendous wheels. The rest I agree.

And that is the difference AU is looking for.

You guys do realize that all of the talk about looking for another QB is strictly internet rumor at this point, right? The coaches might not be looking at all. If there is real contact, we have no idea who initiated it. In the two cases being discussed, Webb is a top level QB, so there's no way you don't take him. Jenkins is far more refined than Franklin, so if you really want to go dual-threat, he's not a bad take either (ignoring the personal issues). All that to say that, if either of those guys are actually being considered, it could have nothing to do with our coaches not having confidence in our current QBs and everything to do with opportunities to add quality players to the roster. The no-confidence thing is just message board rhetoric being repeated over and over.

Also, keep this in mind... if they player approached Auburn, the coaches may very well not tell them that they will start if they come. In the case of Webb, I would imagine he would get the immediate nod, since no one on the team is currently at his level. With Jenkins, I would imagine that he would have to win the spot by learning the offense in a very short period of time and showing that he, in the dual threat, can give us an edge we won't have running a more play action offense.

In both cases, picking up an extra QB gives us depth we currently don't have. We have 1 drop back passer who isn't currently hurt of a headcase. We also have 1 dual threat. In that scenario, if the QB goes down, we have to change our whole offense. Best case scenario, right now, is to run with Sean and hope Queen can get and stay healthy, so if we need to sub in, we can run the same offense. Adding another good QB, with either skill set, would have us better prepared for injury.

You guys do realize that all of the talk about looking for another QB is strictly internet rumor at this point, right? The coaches might not be looking at all. If there is real contact, we have no idea who initiated it. In the two cases being discussed, Webb is a top level QB, so there's no way you don't take him. Jenkins is far more refined than Franklin, so if you really want to go dual-threat, he's not a bad take either (ignoring the personal issues). All that to say that, if either of those guys are actually being considered, it could have nothing to do with our coaches not having confidence in our current QBs and everything to do with opportunities to add quality players to the roster. The no-confidence thing is just message board rhetoric being repeated over and over.

Also, keep this in mind... if they player approached Auburn, the coaches may very well not tell them that they will start if they come. In the case of Webb, I would imagine he would get the immediate nod, since no one on the team is currently at his level. With Jenkins, I would imagine that he would have to win the spot by learning the offense in a very short period of time and showing that he, in the dual threat, can give us an edge we won't have running a more play action offense.

In both cases, picking up an extra QB gives us depth we currently don't have. We have 1 drop back passer who isn't currently hurt of a headcase. We also have 1 dual threat. In that scenario, if the QB goes down, we have to change our whole offense. Best case scenario, right now, is to run with Sean and hope Queen can get and stay healthy, so if we need to sub in, we can run the same offense. Adding another good QB, with either skill set, would have us better prepared for injury.

I'm not convinced that Jenkins is necessarily more refined than Franklin. We don't really have much to go on with regard to Franklin. All I watched of Jenkins was his play against us, and it appeared to me that his WR's helped him out A LOT (two in particular). They made some athletic plays to go after and make catches that would have otherwise been incompletions. If he'd been throwing to our WR's in that game, instead of those two that we could do nothing to cover, I doubt this thread would ever have been made. I'd rather have those receivers than I would Jenkins. Then again, I also think we need WR's that can consistently get open AND make catches, more than we need a QB that can run.

What you evidently do not realize it is not internet talk. Many people on this board are connected enough to know things that are fact and do not rely on internet talk. Many are personal relationships so they cannot "link" or say how or why they know certain info. This team currently has 3 QB's on staff that can step on the field and possible a fourth. There is no need for depth. The actions of the coaches speak volumes of why they are doing this. We have no idea what the coaches are telling them, but for a guy that is transferring they certainly are not telling him that this team needs depth. IMO they are telling him this team needs a starting QB and he will have every opportunity to do that. Will we get one of the two guys? I don't know for sure, but I think we do. But if we don't, we all need to be concerned.

Yes, the Jax St WRs played well against us last year. Doesn't mean Jenkins didn't. He was light years better than anything Auburn trotted out at the position all season. And I'm pretty high on SW.

Jenkins would be an immediate upgrade at the position.

What you evidently do not realize it is not internet talk. Many people on this board are connected enough to know things that are fact and do not rely on internet talk. Many are personal relationships so they cannot "link" or say how or why they know certain info. This team currently has 3 QB's on staff that can step on the field and possible a fourth. There is no need for depth. The actions of the coaches speak volumes of why they are doing this. We have no idea what the coaches are telling them, but for a guy that is transferring they certainly are not telling him that this team needs depth. IMO they are telling him this team needs a starting QB and he will have every opportunity to do that. Will we get one of the two guys? I don't know for sure, but I think we do. But if we don't, we all need to be concerned.

All the "connected" people have said is that they think such and such player might be coming here. None of them has said that the coaches reached out, that the coaches are concerned, or anything of the sort... That's all speculation. All we know, and that is if we put our faith in those people connections, who probably have far less insight now that Gus has closed ranks with his coaching staff, is that communication might be happening.

Also, you didn't read my post very well if you don't get the depth issue. We have 4 QBs, sure, but we have ONE dual threat and ONE drop back passer that are currently both healthy and reliable. If, by some miracle, John was able to get ready to start in the Fall, and he were to go down (which is entirely possible, given how small he is), we'd be in a world of hurt, because we'd have to change our entire offense to switch QBs. The same holds true if we start Sean and Queen can't get healthy. Suddenly we're forced back into playing Jeremy who may, or may not, have solved his mental issues. There is ZERO argument for not having another quality QB available, and there is a HUGH argument against putting our eggs in the read-option basket without another dual threat ready to go.

I'm not convinced that Jenkins is necessarily more refined than Franklin. We don't really have much to go on with regard to Franklin. All I watched of Jenkins was his play against us, and it appeared to me that his WR's helped him out A LOT (two in particular). They made some athletic plays to go after and make catches that would have otherwise been incompletions. If he'd been throwing to our WR's in that game, instead of those two that we could do nothing to cover, I doubt this thread would ever have been made. I'd rather have those receivers than I would Jenkins. Then again, I also think we need WR's that can consistently get open AND make catches, more than we need a QB that can run.

Seriously? All reports about Franklin are that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, consistently, and the one long throw we've seen him make should have been an INT. I watched Jenkins repeatedly drop the ball perfectly into a place where only his receiver could catch it. Does that mean I want Jenkins... no. I think his personal issues make him too much of a liability.

Having more than 4 QBs on the roster seems excessive to me and with Woody Barrett makes it 5 in the fall. Best I can recall that's the most QBs on any AU roster that I can remember.

All the "connected" people have said is that they think such and such player might be coming here. None of them has said that the coaches reached out, that the coaches are concerned, or anything of the sort... That's all speculation. All we know, and that is if we put our faith in those people connections, who probably have far less insight now that Gus has closed ranks with his coaching staff, is that communication might be happening.

Also, you didn't read my post very well if you don't get the depth issue. We have 4 QBs, sure, but we have ONE dual threat and ONE drop back passer that are currently both healthy and reliable. If, by some miracle, John was able to get ready to start in the Fall, and he were to go down (which is entirely possible, given how small he is), we'd be in a world of hurt, because we'd have to change our entire offense to switch QBs. The same holds true if we start Sean and Queen can't get healthy. Suddenly we're forced back into playing Jeremy who may, or may not, have solved his mental issues. There is ZERO argument for not having another quality QB available, and there is a HUGH argument against putting our eggs in the read-option basket without another dual threat ready to go.

Are you so invested in SW being the starter, you cannot see what is going on? Would you use some common sense? There is communication going on. It is not a might. A potential transfer is not coming to be depth. We are not looking for depth. They are coming to run the full offense; throwing and running. We are looking for a QB that can get us that can potentially get us to 10/11 wins. We do not have that at this point. Why is there a huge argument against putting all our eggs in the read option basket? Who was back up for Cam or Nick? I guess we had a DT back up, but they certainly would not run the offense the same. You can't make a decision about your starter because he may/could get hurt.

Are you so invested in SW being the starter, you cannot see what is going on? Would you use some common sense? There is communication going on. It is not a might. A potential transfer is not coming to be depth. We are not looking for depth. They are coming to run the full offense; throwing and running. We are looking for a QB that can get us that can potentially get us to 10/11 wins. We do not have that at this point. Why is there a huge argument against putting all our eggs in the read option basket? Who was back up for Cam or Nick? I guess we had a DT back up, but they certainly would not run the offense the same. You can't make a decision about your starter because he may/could get hurt.

Are you not reading anything I've posted? I've already stated that if Webb came in, HE would be the starter and if Eli came in, though he would likely need to prove that he can make the read-option more effective, HE would likely be the starter. In BOTH of those scenarios, our current QBs would be the depth. Here's what's really going on. You are so concerned about your doom and gloom line of rhetoric that you are unwilling to listen to logic.

An hell yes you make a decision about your starter because he may or may not get hurt when your choice of starter involves running two COMPLETELY different offensive philosophies and you don't have anyone who can run that same offense if they go down. There's a huge difference between running an offensive philosophy differently and switching philosophies entirely.

Let me spell it out for you. Say Franklin rocks it over the Summer and gets the start. Then a 300+ pound lineman lands on his leg. Up until that point, the entire offense has focused on running the read-option. Gus is left with 2 choices. Start a true freshman or switch gears with the entire offense to run a play-option style attack under Sean... and do it in a week. A good coach sees that and says to himself "hey, this other proven read-option QB is interested in playing here... I'm going to talk to him so that is not even a potential concern". Same scenario is true if Sean starts unless Queen can get and stay healthy. Webb would make that a non-issue, as he would start and Sean would be ready to come in if he went down.

Get it? If not, then there's no getting through to you.

You guys do realize that all of the talk about looking for another QB is strictly internet rumor at this point, right? The coaches might not be looking at all. If there is real contact, we have no idea who initiated it.

It's not just internet rumor. The coaches are looking, talking, researching, watching film, and have been putting feelers out for weeks. We will have a guaranteed 5 QBs on the roster when fall camp starts. And yet the staff has been canvassing a QB with domestic violence charges hanging over his head >>>>> boss feeling heat on his seat?

Do we even know for a fact that we are considering Jenkins? Seems like I've seen some sources on here mention it but not from anybody like Neihbuhr, Matthews, Lee,etc. Not recently anyway.

This is what I want to know

Archived