Jax State QB

tmjiv

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Cam coincided a #1 pick while at JUCO or was it after he came to AU?

Nope. Was an after thought that Gene had to be convinced to take.

But more on topic, why is this thread still alive? Doesn't sound like there is a chance/interest.

But more on topic, why is this thread still alive? Doesn't sound like there is a chance/interest.

Because we won't have any definitive info until June.

Prior to Cam coming to Auburn, there were many (Thanks to Urban Whinner) saying, if Cam is drafted, he would be a 3rd to 5th round TE.

IIRC, those in the know said that this rumor had legs. Doesn't necessarily make it true, but it doesn't seem unsubstantiated.

Exactly, so why do people believe Eli would be I a better position at Jax at ?

Some are trolls.

I am still trying to gather why he would leave? likely his current coaches see value in him, and he is was not replaced like Webb was at Tech. So there is no need to transfer just to get on the field. He is the starter for JSU without question and would have no guarantees to start at AU...

Actually if we bring him in he would be expected to start barring playing bad. Also why would a guy from Jax State transfer? Playing in the SEC would raise his pro stock a lot if he played well.

Carson Wentz just went number 2 in the draft from NDSU...if you are good enough in your league the NFL will find you he may not be number 2 but he would get a shot.There is the possibility that tougher competition combined with a short period of time with a new team, system, etc could hinder him as well. I think it's a very tough decision, on one hand you have familiarity opportunity for another OVCconference/FCS national championship, teammates who you have bonded and won with, you are the unquestioned starter vs the opportunity to play on a larger stage, compete against better athletes, SEC, etc. Like I said it's a very tough decision imo. I personally don't think any team can have too many good football players, so if he comes I would welcome him.

Can't make that blanket statement. Much easier for a pocket QB to get noticed there as having pro potential than a dual QB. The only Dual QB from those levels I ever remember getting noticed & drafted high is Steve McNair at Alcorn St. There have been a good number of pocket QBs from those levels get noticed & drafted high. Going to & playing well at AU would definitely help Eli's stock & it's not even debatable IMO.

There is definite interest from AU's side at minimum.

There's a basketball player in the NBA from Weber st....that doesn't change the fact you have a better chance at going pro if you're at duke. In every situation on earth you can always name an anomaly. Bill gates dropped out of college and became a billionaire....would you want that for your child? Guess why cam came to Auburn instead of playing for Texas st, Alabama st, or Georgia st? And that choice was successful for him as well...he went number 1

Exactly again. Few things more annoying than "<Exception to the rule> says hi."

Exactly, so why do people believe Eli would be I a better position at Jax at ?

Easy.

1. He's a proven commodity in that league. It's still a roll of the dice whether he could handle the SEC. If he can't, his stock drops dramatically.

2. Jax St. is likely headed back to the championship game. Auburn could end up anywhere from an SEC Championship to a weekday bowl game in mid December. It's a toss up which is a better stage if Auburn doesn't perform.

3. There is still a chance that he could come in and NOT win the starting position. If that happens, he falls off the radar entirely. At Jax St. he's guaranteed the start.

4. His current legal situation is back page news. If he comes to Auburn, it moves to the front page and gains a life of it's own, where all kinds of fabricated details will become fact in the eyes of the sports media.

Lion's entire response was spot on, but:

2. Jax St. is likely headed back to the championship game. Auburn could end up anywhere from an SEC Championship to a weekday bowl game in mid December. It's a toss up which is a better stage if Auburn doesn't perform.

Do you promise me that's our floor, Lion? Please promise me that's the worst we can do. If you promise I'll believe you.

4. His current legal situation is back page news. If he comes to Auburn, it moves to the front page and gains a life of it's own, where all kinds of fabricated details will become fact in the eyes of the sports media.

That is an outstanding point that I don't think I've seen brought up elsewhere.

Do you promise me that's our floor, Lion? Please promise me that's the worst we can do. If you promise I'll believe you.

I make no promises, but that seems like our logical floor. We have far too much promise in key positions to not be better than last year.

That is an outstanding point that I don't think I've seen brought up elsewhere.

Thank you.

I make no promises, but that seems like our logical floor. We have far too much promise in key positions to not be better than last year.

Ugh, FINE. :)

Unfortunately it's not. The floor in a worst case scenario is 4-8 w/ Vandy being the only SEC win. Now I don't think that's how it goes but it is possible. 6-6 at minimum seems more possible though as I think we beat both Mississippi school w/ all the talent they lost. Also think we should beat TAMU also given all their issues. Arky is a should win at home too. I believe we can go 8-4 w/ Meh QB play. MAN! If we can get descent to good QB play then we can steal 1 or 2 from the big 4 on our schedule.

Unfortunately it's not. The floor in a worst case scenario is 4-8 w/ Vandy being the only SEC win. Now I don't think that's how it goes but it is possible. 6-6 at minimum seems more possible though as I think we beat both Mississippi school w/ all the talent they lost. Also think we should beat TAMU also given all their issues. Arky is a should win at home too. I believe we can go 8-4 w/ Meh QB play. MAN! If we can get descent to good QB play then we can steal 1 or 2 from the big 4 on our schedule.

That all makes perfect sense. Especially those last thoughts. MAN! is so right.

I'll just say I disagree that this team is capable of going 4-8. In terms of talent and experience, this team isn't in the same pit as 2012. It's just not. It may be a flawed 7 or 8 win team, but the fewest games this group is going to win is 6 + a bad bowl game. Last year was the example of what happens to this team when the wheels fall off the wagon. If we keep the car (or bus, I guess) on the road, it's an 8-win regular season at worst.

I am still trying to gather why he would leave? likely his current coaches see value in him, and he is was not replaced like Webb was at Tech. So there is no need to transfer just to get on the field. He is the starter for JSU without question and would have no guarantees to start at AU...

Actually if we bring him in he would be expected to start barring playing bad. Also why would a guy from Jax State transfer? Playing in the SEC would raise his pro stock a lot if he played well.

Carson Wentz just went number 2 in the draft from NDSU...if you are good enough in your league the NFL will find you he may not be number 2 but he would get a shot.There is the possibility that tougher competition combined with a short period of time with a new team, system, etc could hinder him as well. I think it's a very tough decision, on one hand you have familiarity opportunity for another OVCconference/FCS national championship, teammates who you have bonded and won with, you are the unquestioned starter vs the opportunity to play on a larger stage, compete against better athletes, SEC, etc. Like I said it's a very tough decision imo. I personally don't think any team can have too many good football players, so if he comes I would welcome him.

Can't make that blanket statement. Much easier for a pocket QB to get noticed there as having pro potential than a dual QB. The only Dual QB from those levels I ever remember getting noticed & drafted high is Steve McNair at Alcorn St. There have been a good number of pocket QBs from those levels get noticed & drafted high. Going to & playing well at AU would definitely help Eli's stock & it's not even debatable IMO.

We can agree to disagree it's cool.....but if you are good enough and the NFL scouts think you can compete in the NFL they will find you. FCS schools no longer exist in a vacuum. Regardless it is still a big risk for Eli and if I was him I know it would be a very very tough decision for me.

A minimum 8? Based on what? I can see easily anywhere from only 6 wins to 9 wins max. If our QB doesn't win us any games ( which I feel will be required to get to 8 wins) then our running game has to be dominate and our D will have to find a way to win us a game and hold the other teams to under 21 points in those swing games.

But to say a minimum of 8 will be like what us fans thought we would do last year with Air Jeremy at QB)).

I'll just say I disagree that this team is capable of going 4-8. In terms of talent and experience, this team isn't in the same pit as 2012. It's just not. It may be a flawed 7 or 8 win team, but the fewest games this group is going to win is 6 + a bad bowl game. Last year was the example of what happens to this team when the wheels fall off the wagon. If we keep the car (or bus, I guess) on the road, it's an 8-win regular season at worst.

Oh, I don't think this is a 2012 team, either. Not even close. Last year's team was nowhere near as bad as the 2011 team and, as you point out, we have a better roster than we did going into 2012. Even with our QB woes and possible cracks in the offensive coordination, we're still in better shape than we were with Loeffler and that motley crew of QBs. The defense almost has to be significantly better at every level. We have an SEC-quality OL. Maybe not 2010 or 2013 good, but they won't be a liability. RBs are fine. WRs, TEs, HBs... not sure, but they won't be the difference between fair-to-middlin' and 2012 bad. Ditto for special teams.

That said... bad things happen to good teams sometimes. We could go 4-8 with close losses and we'd be light years better than the 2012 team. Other teams could be better than we thought. 4-8 probably is about as likely as a title game appearance in 2013. It has no business happening. But in a season where 0-12 is technically possible, 4-8 doesn't seem so crazy as a worst case scenario.

4-8 is definitely capable & it would be nieve to think it's not. 1. Gotta factor for injuries. We are only 2 or 3 injuries away from impact players at key positions to being meh overall. 2. a big turnover game is is possible, especially if Jeremy has to play, JF3 can't take care of the ball, and or Jovon has the fumbles he had in Fall camp last year. We have a fairly high ceiling yes but a potentially low floor too.

No way this team with same 2 QB's is worse than last season. We win at least 7 without 3QBs hurt.

We may look a lot like last season, or improve a lot but worse I do not see as plausible

No way this team with same 2 QB's is worse than last season. We win at least 7 without 3QBs hurt.

We may look a lot like last season, or improve a lot but worse I do not see as plausible

Please, oh please don't let us be worse.

I can't imagine us worse than last year. We had several true freshman starting in key positions or atleast getting significant playing time. Chandler Cox, Carlton Davis, Kerryon Johnson, Jeffrey Holland, Tim Irvin(intially). I look for these guys to step up even more this year and a few of our freshmen to make an impact this year. I'm looking at you Nate Craig and Kyle Davis......please just find somebody to throw them the damn ball addressed to the auburn coaching staff. Maybe somebody can text that message to coaching staff for me.

I can't imagine us worse than last year.

WAY TO GO, JINXY JINXERTON. :Sing:

We had several true freshman starting in key positions or atleast getting significant playing time.

We really need to decide, as a fanbase, whether we're going to go with this fact or with the emotional assumption that all of our coaches are morons.

I'm looking at you Nate Craig and Kyle Davis

I don't think we want to hang our hopes and dreams on true freshmen. Those guys should be really, really good, but it's probably not a good sign if they're WR1 and WR2 right out of the gate.

please just find somebody to throw them the damn ball addressed to the auburn coaching staff. Maybe somebody can text that message to coaching staff for me.

I did. Gus was all like "LOLOL IKR K TTYL"

I can't imagine us worse than last year.

WAY TO GO, JINXY JINXERTON. :Sing:

We had several true freshman starting in key positions or atleast getting significant playing time.

We really need to decide, as a fanbase, whether we're going to go with this fact or with the emotional assumption that all of our coaches are morons.

I'm looking at you Nate Craig and Kyle Davis

I don't think we want to hang our hopes and dreams on true freshmen. Those guys should be really, really good, but it's probably not a good sign if they're WR1 and WR2 right out of the gate.

please just find somebody to throw them the damn ball addressed to the auburn coaching staff. Maybe somebody can text that message to coaching staff for me.

I did. Gus was all like "LOLOL IKR K TTYL"

LMAO! .....(PS: I had to get my granddaughter to type that appropriate response. I really didn't know what y'all were talking about.) :)

Archived