2017 4* QB Kellen Mond (aTm commit 6/27/16)

ellitor

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if Mond ever wondered to himself why those two 5 star QB's actually left T A&M? Something you should ask yourself before committing somewhere.

Wonder if Mond ever wondered to himself why those two 5 star QB's actually left T A&M? Something you should ask yourself before committing somewhere.

I think it's a safe bet that he asked himself that question. And it's a safe bet that he and his family asked Kevin Sumlin that question. And they got an answer that satisfied them.

From what I read, there was a lot more that factored into this than just coaches or program direction. First, he's a Texas kid who had been committed to Baylor, another Texas school. Unless a kid is just dying to get away, home state pull is always a hard thing to fight. But also, there was the "A&M network" factor. A&M has a much larger alumni base, a massive university endowment. There are things that alumni network can do for a guy outside of sports that would be hard for Auburn (or Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia) to ever match. Now, that stuff isn't a big factor for all kids. Maybe not even most kids. But it's something Mond's parents did mention during this process. That's two big things to overcome for Auburn. But I think we almost pulled it off anyway. Had one of those factors been in our favor instead, I think we snag him.

Sometimes I wear my pessimistic hat. Sometimes I wear my optimistic hat. Let's wear the optimistic hat today.

Every season, the ratings shuffle. A highly rated high school QB gets hurt or turns out to not be so great after all or doesn't make his grades or wants to play baseball instead, or whatever.

And every season, a QB or two mature, surprise or emerge from under the radar, and a JUCO QB or two are ready to step up. They look around and decide where they have a shot at playing.

So, with my optimistic hat on, I'll say that, despite losing out on Mond, there's pretty decent odds that Auburn may still land a good prospect.

Happy 4th, everyone!

Archived