Copa America Centenario

AUDub

Venezuela just scored to make it 3-1 and Argentina immediately marched back down the field to make it 4-1.

It wa never really a contest after the missed penalty. At least Venezuela didn't get shut out.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Venezuela just scored to make it 3-1 and Argentina immediately marched back down the field to make it 4-1.

It wa never really a contest after the missed penalty. At least Venezuela didn't get shut out.

It wasn't really a contest after Argentina got on the scoreboard.

Maybe, but I think we would have been looking at a different game had they hit that penalty. Momentum is a big thing in soccer. Venezuela had some decent attacks in the first half and was capable of scoring some more goals, but that let down sealed the deal IMO. Pulling one back before half would have been huge.

Maybe, but I think we would have been looking at a different game had they hit that penalty. Momentum is a big thing in soccer. Venezuela had some decent attacks in the first half and was capable of scoring some more goals, but that let down sealed the deal IMO. Pulling one back before half would have been huge.

And that was the absolute worst penalty kick I have ever seen. I was thinking he would get blocked before he shot it, but never expected THAT. I agree the outcome would have been closer with that goal. They also missed a header off the post and gave ARG a gift on their 2nd goal with that careless pass deep in their own side.

Yup. Mexico getting beat like a drum. Looking like it will be their first loss in 368 days. Thought they would be legitimate contenders to win the tourney, but they are getting owned.

And that was the absolute worst penalty kick I have ever seen. I was thinking he would get blocked before he shot it, but never expected THAT. I agree the outcome would have been closer with that goal. They also missed a header off the post and gave ARG a gift on their 2nd goal with that careless pass deep in their own side.

I've never liked the soft lob PK. Maybe I just can't appreciate it, but against a keeper of Romero's quality it just strikes me as a waste of a good scoring opportunity.

Aim low and for side netting, all day everyday.

Yuck. 49th minute and the lead is now three. Mexico looks straight up outclassed. Hard to believe I expected them to win this game.

ETA: But at least we get bragging rights for making it deeper into the tourney. :cool:

Now 5-0 in the 57th. If this was a prize fight there would be a towel in the ring by now.

Ref being merciful and not sending Guardado off on a foul that would have earned him his second yellow any other day. 67th minute and Chile might score 8 goals.

Vargas gets his 4th in the 74th minute. 6(!)-0

Talk about an epic beatdown. This is just getting embarrasing.

77th minute and Chicharito finally gets a good look. Deflected wide and the ensuing corner comes to nothing.

88th minute and its 7-0. Ochoa gets lobbed. Looks like I'll miss my 8 goal prediction.

Looks like Chile is parking the bus and passing it around the back. 90th minute. If the ref has any decency, he'll waive stoppage time.

And he does. Mercifully, the game is over.

So who am I pulling for to lose in the other semi so the US has a better chance of winning the 3rd place game?

So who am I pulling for to lose in the other semi so the US has a better chance of winning the 3rd place game?

We have the revenge factor working for us against Colombia so maybe we should play them again

Watched a bunch of Chiles win ... Don't want any part of them and their ultra high press. Wow

I never expected Mexico to crumple like they did from the pressure, but that was a game where you knew which way the wind was blowing pretty quick. Chile is a frightening matchup for just about anyone.

Although defending champs, in this Copa Chile barely beat Bolivia (the second worst team in the tournament, after Haiti) and edged out a one-man-show Panama team. I fully agree Chile is good (generally picked 5th most likely to win in pre Copa odds - USA was 3rd most likely just ahead of Colombia). The full narrative here though is Mexico had yet another "Clemson moment" and Chile didn't take its foot off the gas. Nothing would surprise me in USA vs Argentina. The blunt object US media is all a-tidder about Messi but if Venezuela converts half its chances that my grandmother could have converted against Argentina's Swiss cheese defense, we're looking at extra time. The US absolutely punked the golden generation of Argentina soccer starters 3-0 at the '93 Copa - outside the US, when we had MUCH less talent - so I'm not buying that we shouldn't even show up. Of course we infamously have Clemson moments too (see e.g. at Guatemala this Spring).

My call is that set plays should win this game for either team.

I'll have to admit that I've bought in to the Argentina hype ... Do you pull a Chelsea v Barcelona and bunker hoping to catch them on a counter ...

Or do you play more open and try to out score them against their D?

Glad I don't have to make that call.

With yedlin and zardes speed mixed with dempseys recent form plus maybe nagbe? That is some capable counter punching.

Chelsea :jossun:

Congratulations on that 10th place finish! :tease:

Archived