Copa America Centenario

AUDub

Just saw the replay of the red card incident. Absolutely ridiculous call. It didn't appear that even touched him, let alone got any form of violent. He raised both hands up and the Ecuadorean slapped his hands down. The only contact was initiated by Ecuador. That should be reviewed and overturned. I know they reviewed cards in the World Cup. Anyone know if they review these?

Apparently written into the rules now. Can't make contact with the face, period. Ridiculous, but thems the breaks.

My point though is that it didn't look like he even made contact period. The rule is stupid and needs repealed for sure, but I'm not sure he even broke that dumb rule 8(

He made contact. Closed fist to the right side of the guy's face. It wasn't strong but he definitely hit him.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys we made the last four. Win or lose we've overachieved.

I thought we hadn't but I see we are ranked 31 in the world. How did we drop from 8 to 31 so fast?

Also with 3 starters not playing the next game, how bad will we lose to #1 Argentina? Just a loss or a 5-nil type smack down?

I thought we hadn't but I see we are ranked 31 in the world. How did we drop from 8 to 31 so fast?

Also with 3 starters not playing the next game, how bad will we lose to #1 Argentina? Just a loss or a 5-nil type smack down?

They're 3-0 and have outscored their opponents 10-1 so far in the tourney. If it isn't a blowout it will be because we're totally focused on defense.

We haven't been in the top 10 in years. Kind of hovered around 30 for the last few. We'll climb a bit based on this tournament.

As for how things will go against Argentina? No lie, but our hopes are pretty slim. Our best bet will be to hope our defense can hold up and keep it close until the endgame. Personally don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

Great win. That win guarantees us two more games in this tournament against good competition--which is huge for this team to keep gelling.

Any guesses on the lineup changes for the semis?

We haven't been in the top 10 in years. Kind of hovered around 30 for the last few. We'll climb a bit based on this tournament.

As for how things will go against Argentina? No lie, but our hopes are pretty slim. Our best bet will be to hope our defense can hold up and keep it close until the endgame. Personally don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.

You are right we weren't in the top 10 but we were 13th as recently as 2 years ago this month & had been hovering there for 8 months. We beat a team that was #8 at some point. I think that was Bolivia maybe.

You are right we weren't in the top 10 but we were 13th as recently as 2 years ago this month & had been hovering there for 8 months. We beat a team that was #8 at some point. I think that was Bolivia maybe.

This is part of my beef with Klinsmann. Our last coach was fired after letting the team slip to 28th just a short time after having them at 8th (the last and only time ever we've been that high). Klinsmann has been getting some kind of extra pass. He also oversees the youth programs that are also failing (such as the Olympic team that couldn't even qualify for the Olympics). I'm hoping this tourney is the turning point for him to get things going right, but have very serious doubts. So far in this tourney we've played two good teams. We are 1-1. Likely about to be 1-2 and then 1-3 which really means we still aren't that good. But, we are in the semis of COPA which hasn't happened in 20 years so I'm giving him a pass for now.

(And to answer your question, losing to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Ireland as well as drawing with several other bad teams can drop your ranking quickly)

(And to answer your question, losing to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Ireland as well as drawing with several other bad teams can drop your ranking quickly)

Yeah the Guatemala game, our last really bad loss, really stung. They're currently ranked 91st. But things have been decent since then. Beat 13th ranked Ecuador, 82nd ranked Bolivia, lost to 3rd ranked Colombia, smashed 23rd ranked Costa Rica, beat 44th ranked Paraguay and beat 13th ranked Ecuador again.

We will most likely be the lowest ranked team remaining in the field after all of the quarterfinals are played and we're guaranteed two more games. Making the semis of this tournament will be a tremendous boon concerning our FIFA ranking and is valuable experience for our side.

Hope it puts us back on the right foot for the WC qualifying coming up in September. Two games to go this round, one a guaranteed win against St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and the other a game we should win against current group leader Trinidad & Tobago.

This is part of my beef with Klinsmann. Our last coach was fired after letting the team slip to 28th just a short time after having them at 8th (the last and only time ever we've been that high). Klinsmann has been getting some kind of extra pass. He also oversees the youth programs that are also failing (such as the Olympic team that couldn't even qualify for the Olympics). I'm hoping this tourney is the turning point for him to get things going right, but have very serious doubts. So far in this tourney we've played two good teams. We are 1-1. Likely about to be 1-2 and then 1-3 which really means we still aren't that good. But, we are in the semis of COPA which hasn't happened in 20 years so I'm giving him a pass for now.

Costa Rica is #23 in the world. How are they bad? We are 2-1 versus teams ranked higher than us. If we can somehow get Mexico in the 3rd place games I like our chances of getting a 3rd win at home over a team ranked higher than us.

Oh and for those that have not been following, Brazil sacked Dunga as expected. Corinthians' coach Tite will take over.

Costa Rica is #23 in the world. How are they bad? We are 2-1 versus teams ranked higher than us. If we can somehow get Mexico in the 3rd place games I like our chances of getting a 3rd win at home over a team ranked higher than us.

Costa Rican must have ripped him off or something. :laugh:

Yeah, Foundation, I'll give you Guate and Jamaica, but I wouldn't call Costa Rica "bad". Your point remains valid, though. Jurgen has directed some serious stinkers, too many for sure.

We might look back at this tournament as the moment when the method to his madness began to reveal itself, but madness it has been.

Costa Rican must have ripped him off or something. :laugh:/>

Lol. Never been to CR. They are 23rd...however that just puts them right ahead of powerhouses Slovakia, Northern Ireland and Wales. They're not terrible, but not a top team either. We should be better than them. This tourney we were.

James Rodriquez almost puts Colombia up 1-0 in the 22nd minute with a 25 yard rocket off the post. Good game so far but one feels Colombia will break it open as Peru wears out.

83rd minute still no score. Peru has done a good job neutralizing Colombia's attack. Colombia pressing now though,

86th minute Peru with a throw in the Colombia third. Peru with some good attacks on the break in the last few minutes.

89th minute and neither are playing for the shootout. 30 fouls so far in the game.

Fabra comes on in the 90th minute for an injured Diaz. Peru with a throw in the Colombia third. 3 minutes of stoppage, 91st minute.

Peru wins a corner 92nd minute. Probably the last attack. OSPINA WITH A BIG SAVE. Out for another corner.

Yuck. Side netting on the second corner. Penalties coming up.

James converts opening the round.

Ruidiaz converts his.

Cuadrado converts opening the second round.

Tapia converts his.

Moreno converts to open the third.

Trauco's is saved!

Perez converts to open the fourth and possibly final frame.

Cueva skies it! Colombia are through!

With all due respect this is way too many updates for a game USA is not playing in. Just give us a final score and an overall summary to your thoughts of the match.

With all due respect this is way too many updates for a game USA is not playing in. Just give us a final score and an overall summary to your thoughts of the match.

You think 10 posts are too many? So be it. Not stopping. I don't mean to be ugly but no one is forcing you to read them. Really an unnecessary comment.

As for my thoughts, I think a 0-0 result would have been fair given the balance of play. One of those games where you hate that there had to be a loser. Peru is not a great side and they gave the Colombians all they could handle. I think Mexico, assuming they do the expected and get by Chile tomorrow and being as hot as they are right now, probably has the upper hand going into the semis. There's a good possibility we get a rematch with Colombia in the third place game.

Archived