Roc Thomas transferring to JSU

Our player development is atrocious. How many stars have come in to Auburn lately, just to bust. Roc should have been a beast for us.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our player development is atrocious. How many stars have come in to Auburn lately, just to bust. Roc should have been a beast for us.

Didn't know the coaches were in charge of him putting the ball on the ground and being succeptible to injuries, thus allowing other players to beat him out on the depth chart.

As the myriad others have said, this isn't on Gus and staff, Roc wants to be THE guy and he simply isn't. I really don't know how many times it needs to be said. This isn't a developmental issue.

This is a lot like the "best QB is riding the bench" mentality that our fans absolutely love to glom onto.

I don't care if any player leaves but Roc I thought had some promise. He reminded me of Cadillac Williams. He has ties to Jax St but, I believe it to be best for him to stay. He would be our legit #1 back next year. Not to mention an injury or suspension away from being that this year.

Honestly, the only similarity between Roc and Caddy is that they both wore an Auburn jersey. Their body types, running styles and on-field production are totally different.

As for next year, K. Johnson has already beaten Roc out on the depth chart and it appears that M. Miller had passed him too. If Roc insists on being a RB, then dropping down to a lower level of competition is the only thing for him to do. He could probably have helped us as a slot receiver/speed sweep type but if he doesn't want to do that there's nothing for him here.

Roc should have been a beast for us.

And it's on him he hasn't been to this point. Coach Horton is a damn good developer of RBs.

Ehh. A lot of potential but constant nagging injuries and the inability to run between the tackles really hurt his role. I imagine it is hard not being the man when you are a 5 star RB, however, I am a little surprised he didn't give this new potential role a chance. He would be much better utilized in the open field.

Aren't many ups on this rollacoaster for a while now. Feel like we're likely in a freefall here.

It seems to me that if a 4 star defensive back and a 5 star running back are transferring because they are buried in the depth chart, that means that we have some incredible talent. Why is this a bad thing?

^^^Agreed. I'd be shocked if Gus makes it to 2017. I just don't see him being the long term answer. Hopefully there's not too many coaching changes this offseason--less competition, and all.

It's amazing that for an "offensive genius" we have maybe one big star on offense (JR). At least we have a veteran line.

Every post you make here is negative towards Auburn in every way? How in the world can you call yourself a fan when you constantly tearing down Auburn? Oh, wait, you really have never said you actually like Auburn so its most likely you aren't a fan at all. Troll, uater or both. This constant negativity has long run its course.

Personally, I will miss Roc. Like most, I want all our players to Love AU and have a ton of success. Sorry this has not worked out for him. I have 100% faith in Jovon's capabilities and KJ's is a very good talent, I think he needs a bit more muscle on his frame to have a bigger role in the offense.

As we saw in the Spring Game, I think our 2 FB's can be used running the ball, they are both very talented. I think we are going to be OK. If I were an upcoming HS senior back, I would be checking out AU and I be pushing for an offer right now.

This isn't good. Too many sunshine pumpers on here trying to spin it like we'll be straight or he wasn't that good. That's just ridiculous.

He was going to have an impact on our offense, He had been passed on the depth chart by Johnson and likely Miller as well. I doubt he was going to get more than 1-2 touches a game if he even got that. I can't see how you think he was going to have an impact on our offense. was a big weapon that we under utilized.

Under Utilized? What games were you watching? He got chance after chance (when he wasn't injured) to show what he could do. Nobody here is spinning anything to the notion that he wasn't good. He was good, he just didn't produce when given the opportunity. There's a difference between being good and producing. The production simply was never there.

This impacts recruiting as well. This will have zero effect on recruiting. Players transfer out of programs all over the country.

Keep sunshining away though!

To be the featured back Roc would have to head out of the SEC to begin with. I like the kid, and looked forward to him getting a lot of touches splitting time at RB and slot. However, this is his decision to make. Best of luck to him.

He is what 195#s? A sophomore, it doesn't just happen in the snap of the fingers. He has got to dig in and be patient.

He is what 195#s? A sophomore, it doesn't just happen in the snap of the fingers. He has got to dig in and be patient.

ah "patience":.....not a very common character trait in the young these days...maybe never has been....but I guess it's more observable among highly regarded individuals of whom much is expected. Though perhaps it's not a 'patience thing...maybe a realization that "some guys out here are better than me and I'm not going to play very much." .

Nothing wrong with wanting to be a big fish in a smaller pond. People make that decision all the time in their college choices and employment decisions.

Hope he does well and JSU is in the championship again this season.

Thomas' lack of production/success at AU is not the fault of Gus (or Horton or Lashlee). Roc hasn't really made any meaningful positive impact when he played the past two seasons He has definitely contributed negatively in a couple of big situations. I do think the slot position would have given him a better chance to contribute more, but it appears he is convinced he is an every down RB. Best of luck to him if he transfers.

wde

Whole lot of dumb in this thread from the hand-wringing/Gus sucks crowd.

They are in most every thread. It must be a miserable experience watching a game with them.

Whole lot of dumb in this thread from the hand-wringing/Gus sucks crowd.

They are in most every thread. It must be a miserable experience watching a game with them.

I'd be in jail for mass murder if the gameday threads were an in-person event.

So - is this fact or still speculation? I cant even tell.

Fact. But nothing has been made official yet.

Thanks. Hate to see an in-state kid go, but at least it is to my hometown Gamecocks! He should absolutely kill it in the OVC.

So - is this fact or still speculation? I cant even tell.

Fact. But nothing has been made official yet.

Thanks. Hate to see an in-state kid go, but at least it is to my hometown Gamecocks! He should absolutely kill it in the OVC.

Roc could kill it in the SEC playing the slot position. I for one hope Gus can talk Roc into staying. Don't think Roc is with AU in the fall. IMO anyways. Stays or goes AU will be ok. Sucks from a depth point of view.

Archived