Roc Thomas transferring to JSU

This isn't good. Too many sunshine pumpers on here trying to spin it like we'll be straight or he wasn't that good. That's just ridiculous. He was going to have an impact on our offense, was a big weapon that we under utilized. This impacts recruiting as well.

Keep sunshining away though!

This is idiotic. He was not under utilized, he was under productive. We tried every way in the book to allow Roc to take the starting role and get him the ball. Frankly, we stuck with him too long when other backs were clearly more effective when they had their shots. The move to a speed back/slot WR role was an effort to get him on the field this year even though he's clearly not a RB1 in this league.

He had the potential to have an impact in this offense. There is zero evidence thus far that he was going to.

Whatever man. You are the one being idiotic. He was under utilized his whole time. We are thin at running back now.Losing a a weapon like Roc is idiotic. Keep sunshine pumping.

Whatever nothing. You have nothing beyond his high school film to make such a ludicrous claim. People were scratching their heads wondering why he kept being given so many chances when he was clearly not as effective as Barber or Robinson. His play has been characterized by underachievement, not under utilization. You're just stubbornly insisting on a particular take with him because it backs the narrative you wish to believe.

Might wanna go rewatch some film there Titan. Robinson yes, but Barber never shown he was better than Roc at anything that involved making yards.... other than not fumbling, I know Barber's got heart, but not talent.

People are too quick to judge him because he was supposed to be all-world as a true fresh. He got better his soph year and will likely improve more.

Probably so..but if he was not willing to be patient and earn the job....that's on him. Obviously he thinks he will be able to start at JSU which is preferable to being a "situation" players. OK.....what's the beef ?

It was AU fans who set the unreasonable expectations...not him....so get off the guy's back. He's doing what he thinks is in his best interest....which I expect about every person this board would also.

Man I just don't get the anger and negative comments toward the guy.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roc actually didn't fumble that much compared to other great backs. His fumbles were in very bad spots though causing his fumbles to be remembered over his other characteristics.

Writing was on wall. Roc had his shots; Kerryon passed him. Jovon is poised to have a monster year. Just keeping it real, this does not cause any kind of problems unless injuries mount.

Roc was going to get his touches in the slot. And his homerun threat will be missed. But all the gashing of teeth about Roc, Javon & KJ is silly. Roc had been moved to the slot position.

He wanted to be a feature back - that just wasn't his skill set.

Correct.

Roc actually didn't fumble that much compared to other great backs. His fumbles were in very bad spots though causing his fumbles to be remembered over his other characteristics.

Well that and his lack of hustle and game awareness on that swing pass vs Alabama. Total brainfart or lack of effort, depending on how much of a cynic you are.

This is a understatement.

How?

Well that and his lack of hustle and game awareness on that swing pass vs Alabama. Total brainfart or lack of effort, depending on how much of a cynic you are.

This was a recruiting promise AU made Roc. Get the first touch against uat. Didn't know if many people knew this. Didn't see the filed the rest of the game. Gus and Horton were not amused at Roc's effort.

How?

Add a bunch more very's and then it's good.

This was a recruiting promise AU made Roc. Get the first touch against uat. Didn't know if many people knew this. Didn't see the filed the rest of the game. Gus and Horton were not amused at Roc's effort.

I said if Barber had half Roc's talent, he'd have rushed for 1500 yds. The reverse is true also. If Roc had half Barber's work ethic, hustle, attitude and heart, he'd be a Heisman candidate.

Roc was a true freshman playing in a game he had no business being in.

Recruiting promise gone bad.

How?

.....are you saying he fumbled a lot? Please make sense. Bring statistics with you too.

I said if Barber had half Roc's talent, he'd have rushed for 1500 yds. The reverse is true also. If Roc had half Barber's work ethic, hustle, attitude and heart, he'd be a Heisman candidate.

I know. Just had a chance to share that story.

How?

.....are you saying he fumbled a lot? Please make sense. Bring statistics with you too.

Roc's fumbles were in very very very very very bad spots. Is that better?

It was Game 12 on the schedule and he'd played in several games that year already, including every prior SEC game but one. It doesn't take a master's degree or a senior's experience level to know that you go jump on that ball just in case it was a lateral. They teach that from at least junior high football on up.

It was Game 12 on the schedule and he'd played in several games that year already, including every prior SEC game but one. It doesn't take a master's degree or a senior's experience level to know that you go jump on that ball just in case it was a lateral. They teach that from at least junior high football on up.

It was still a freshman mistake. He made several of them but the rest were overlooked because we were winning whenever he was in the game.

It was still a freshman mistake. He made several of them but the rest were overlooked because we were winning whenever he was in the game.

It was, but it was a huge one. One that, really, not even a freshman should make.

But even so, while he didn't play the rest of that game, it's not like he wasn't given the opportunity to claim the starting job last year. He just failed to deliver.

How?

Roc's fumbles were in very very very very very bad spots. Is that better?

Umm okay. Thanks for the distinction from "very bad spots" to very x10 bad spots... I guess

Umm okay. Thanks for the distinction from "very bad spots" to very x10 bad spots... I guess

I don't understand what the argument is. He was agreeing with you.

I know right. Guess drivel seaon has reached a park. :jossun:

Guys, if this is true, then this is just bad. Yes, I know he hasn't performed the way we wanted yet, but the kid is a talent and can be successful in the SEC. This really leaves us thin at RB. But worse than anything, this is a 5 star player that is leaving along with 11 others that have left. This is the same kind of thing that happened during the end of the Chizik era. I really, really hope that Gus is not losing this team.

But, if it is any consolation, we still have Rhett Lashlee. :gofig:/>

This one isn't on Gus. Putting Roc into the slot more was the best way to utilize Roc. Best for his future in the NFL and in big time college ball. Roc wants to be the man. And his high school coach is now at JSU and has been in Roc's ear for over a year trying to get Roc to transfer. Moving Roc more to the slot was the right call. Gus did nothing wrong here. All on Roc not wanting to move over from the RB position.

I heard differently...

Apparently, Roc was open to playing anywhere on the field... he just wanted the ball in his hands.

That's what Gus was telling him as well. The plan was to work him into a more productive role. Gus had all spring to show what he wanted out of Roc (after convincing him to stay). It didn't happen! His role in the A-Day game was about the same as his role in practice... non exhistant.

So, Roc obviously doesn't trust Gus when he says he's gonna find a way to get him the ball.

Oh well...

Y'all can try to put this all on Roc, but this is on Gus, too...

I agree with this and mentioned it in the Irvin thread. I do think Gus has some blame b/c this new role for Roc should've been put into action last year at some point. It wouldn't have been a difficult adjustment b/c we were already running some of those plays just with a different player -- Ricardo. I felt like some of those touches should've been touches for Roc but we were so stuck on running them with Ricardo. I don't think Roc would've had a problem with the role if he saw some touches last year b/c he'd know his role would likely increase in it this coming season. I do think Roc may be a bit stubborn but i agree that this is on Gus as well b/c he was never utilized correctly.

He said it was an understatement. I couldn't figure out what was understated, the amount of fumbles or the depth of s*** we were in( or going to be in) when he fumbled. He then distinguished. There was no argument at all.

If he doesn't want to be a part of the team anymore it is time to wish him well and move on. He certainly had loads of potential but it is what it is.

I know right. Guess drivel seaon has reached a park. :jossun:/>

Parks should be safe from the drivel seasons. What a crying shame.

How?

If that was a promise made to a player that was either not mentally prepared or woefully inadequate in the Football IQ department, then that IS on the coaches.

If that was a promise made to a player that was either not mentally prepared or woefully inadequate in the Football IQ department, then that IS on the coaches.

He hadn't shown anything up to that point that would indicate such a brainfart was forthcoming. And they teach players from junior high age on up to jump on a loose ball just in case, particularly on laterals and passes in the flat.

Archived