Roc Thomas transferring to JSU

If I was recruiting the premier in state 5* rb and it took the promise of ONE DAMN PLAY to land him, I would so absolutely do it. How folks are dumping this on Gus I don't know. I liked Roc over Barber too. It just didn't shake out. I still had hope it would eventually as a uniquely different position for him. Not much more we can add to this.

Seriously. He hadn't been spectacular, but that's a pretty low risk play. Simply pass in the flat to Roc to possible get him open in space. Cadillac played as a true freshman too. Do you think Carnell has a brainfart like that?

Look at the play again. The issue with Roc wasn't that he fumbled the lateral, it was that he didn't even really attempt to fall on the ball.

http://espn.go.com/v...lip?id=11955890

That is not on the coaches.

Caddilac came in late and had less freshman mistakes too. There is a difference. Same with Dyer, he played pretty well. Roc had about 38 carries all season and three fumbles, two lost.

That is an alarmingly high fumble rate considering the small amount of touches he got IMO. I think losing Roc will be a huge hit actually. Moreso because it eliminates a weapon Gus needed to have his O running at full potential. Roc squirting free for a 20 yarder or more for a long TD is something Gus offenses need. If Gus starts calling too many plays in a row he starts to outsmart himself.

Does anyone think Truitt can possibly fill what Roc's role was supposed to be? Screens and sweeps?

I do if he can stay healthy. Maybe not the same explosiveness as Roc but he's still fast. And Ryan Davis could be an option as well.

Who's fastest? Jason Smith, Truitt, or Davis?

No idea honestly out of that group. All have good speed though.

I recall when we signed them all of them seemed to be on the list of guys who could run the sweep effectively for us because of their speed. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. If one can separate themselves in being effective in the run blocking game that will go a long way. I know other things are in play like cutting ability, vision, ball security, etc.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If one can separate themselves in being effective in the run blocking game that will go a long way.

Interesting point. Did McCalebb block much? Seems like Grant did, but maybe I'm just imagining a difference since one was so much sturdier than the other.

If one can separate themselves in being effective in the run blocking game that will go a long way.

Interesting point. Did McCalebb block much? Seems like Grant did, but maybe I'm just imagining a difference since one was so much sturdier than the other.

No I don't think O-Mac blocked much but he had to be subbed in the majority of the time which was kind of like saying "hey there's a good chance this guy gets the ball running East-West." (and he was fast enough that he still would beat guys to the edge -- especially when a legitimate threat of an interior runner was there like Dyer/Cam). If one of the mentioned guys can get a strong hold on being a top 3 WR - like RIcardo -- we can probably run the sweep out of many formations while also limiting having to bring in special personnel to run the sweep. Just bouncing ideas off here I'm not really sure how Gus will assess it. Especially if we are expecting the 3 true frosh WRs to see the field early and often.

No I don't think O-Mac blocked much but he had to be subbed in the majority of the time which was kind of like saying "hey there's a good chance this guy gets the ball running East-West." (and he was fast enough that he still would beat guys to the edge -- especially when a legitimate threat of an interior runner was there like Dyer/Cam). If one of the mentioned guys can get a strong hold on being a top 3 WR - like RIcardo -- we can probably run the sweep out of many formations while also limiting having to bring in special personnel to run the sweep. Just bouncing ideas off here I'm not really sure how Gus will assess it. Especially if we are expecting the 3 true frosh WRs to see the field early and often.

This is what i had in mind as well Tiger with Roc b/c we wouldn't have to substitute players just to get Roc some touches outside of being a RB. I agree that if one of them can show they can bring a little power with speed then that opens up a lot of things.

Losing don't hurt because he's been injured so much, but missing what he can do at 100% is more than most here think imo

Losing don't hurt because he's been injured so much, but missing what he can do at 100% is more than most here think imo

Hard to miss something you haven't seen much of.

That's fair.

We didn't see any big plays from running backs either. But we did see he caused match up problems and we saw he everybody out last year

We didn't see any big plays from running backs either. But we did see he caused match up problems and we saw he everybody out last year

He had two of the top four longest pass plays as well. I was really hoping he could play the Kenyon drake role...

I just read this whole thread... And man oh man is this going to be a looooooooooong offseason.

This isn't good. Too many sunshine pumpers on here trying to spin it like we'll be straight or he wasn't that good. That's just ridiculous. He was going to have an impact on our offense, was a big weapon that we under utilized. This impacts recruiting as well.

Keep sunshining away though!

This is idiotic. He was not under utilized, he was under productive. We tried every way in the book to allow Roc to take the starting role and get him the ball. Frankly, we stuck with him too long when other backs were clearly more effective when they had their shots. The move to a speed back/slot WR role was an effort to get him on the field this year even though he's clearly not a RB1 in this league.

He had the potential to have an impact in this offense. There is zero evidence thus far that he was going to.

Whatever man. You are the one being idiotic. He was under utilized his whole time. We are thin at running back now.Losing a a weapon like Roc is idiotic. Keep sunshine pumping.

If we're thin at RB now then we were also thin before now. Roc is simply not an SEC RB. He may have brought other things to the table in the slot role, but his leaving doesn't hurt RB depth. He wasn't a RB.

He had two of the top four longest pass plays as well. I was really hoping he could play the Kenyon drake role...

come on man. Could you choose a different team for the analogy.

I just read this whole thread... And man oh man is this going to be a looooooooooong offseason.

Lol. Be glad you missed the one up all day yesterday then that was zapped.

We've lost good players before and have been alright at their position. We'll defnitely miss Roc and his speed and athleticism, but we are not exactly empty at speed and athleticism.

This isn't good. Too many sunshine pumpers on here trying to spin it like we'll be straight or he wasn't that good. That's just ridiculous. He was going to have an impact on our offense, was a big weapon that we under utilized. This impacts recruiting as well.

This is idiotic. He was not under utilized, he was under productive. We tried every way in the book to allow Roc to take the starting role and get him the ball. Frankly, we stuck with him too long when other backs were clearly more effective when they had their shots. The move to a speed back/slot WR role was an effort to get him on the field this year even though he's clearly not a RB1 in this league.

He had the potential to have an impact in this offense. There is zero evidence thus far that he was going to.

Whatever man. You are the one being idiotic. He was under utilized his whole time. We are thin at running back now.Losing a a weapon like Roc is idiotic. Keep sunshine pumping.

If we're thin at RB now then we were also thin before now. Roc is simply not an SEC RB. He may have brought other things to the table in the slot role, but his leaving doesn't hurt RB depth. He wasn't a RB.

i think he was or potentially was. More importantly if spring was any indication he was going to be used in a more hybrid role. He made some nice plays, one great catch falling OOB that made me anxious to see that role develop. RB or not I think he can be a valuable football player for us.

All these subliminal messages..... smh.

https://twitter.com/...917707590311936

CjaBP9TWEAAEqvJ.jpg

Some body should reply, "Well then say something man!"....I'm kidding. Don't anyone dare do that.

They are saying this is Harrell's Instagram but this pic has been deleted. Roc's is still up however

CjaBP9TWEAAEqvJ.jpg

Some body should reply, "Well then say something man!"....I'm kidding. Don't anyone dare do that.

lol. Exactly what i was thinking in my head E but i'll pass on saying something.

^^This

CjaBP9TWEAAEqvJ.jpg

They are saying this is Harrell's Instagram but this pic has been deleted. Roc's is still up however

Yep he deleted it. Roc only has that one post on his IG. All his other posts are deleted. Kids these days...

We as a fan base honestly might be one of the most doom and gloom and delusional fan bases in the world. Roc leaving doesn't have anything to do with our RB depth. Losing Tim Irvin doesn't hurt us right now either. There are still questions about next year's team, but my goodness we're going to win some freaking games next year y'all. Step off the ledge.

We as a fan base honestly might be one of the most doom and gloom and delusional fan bases in the world. Roc leaving doesn't have anything to do with our RB depth. Losing Tim Irvin doesn't hurt us right now either. There are still questions about next year's team, but my goodness we're going to win some freaking games next year y'all. Step off the ledge.

It's truly irritating how some of these people's minds operate.

At least we aren't Baylor.

Sorry to see him go but some of us have seen this one coming a while. I'm glad JSU is 10 minutes down the road. Roc should do really really well next year and I'm glad I'll be there to see it. Perhaps there he will get the playing time at rb he was looking for. War Eagle Roc.

Archived