Are you still on the Gus Bus?

tigerbrotha12

Saban is a very good coach with regards to program building. He is not a very good game day coach and has been out coached many times. His "greatness" is due the tremendous and unfettered machine he has working in the shadows. Saban at any other school would be a top 5-10 team every year with championship runs every few years. Give him his due, but don't be confused as to why he has suddenly obtained the success he has.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bus as far as hoping Gus can turn it around. Off the bus as far as actually believing he can turn it around. Also to echo what some others have said, I've heard little talk around Auburn for the coming football season. I fear apathy has replaced anger for many fans. I have no desire to see a coaching change and am pulling for the staff to turn things around.

Yes. I have thought all along that Gus was a "head coach in training" I don't think anyone could have predicted the collapse of JJ last season and I think we would have won several more games if Sean White had stayed healthy. My main concern is the play calling on the offense. Hopefully, Gus can get the offense productive again. I do not want to have to go through another coaching change. Our program needs some stability and I hope Gus can get the job done.

That's one solid first post.

Saban is a very good coach with regards to program building. He is not a very good game day coach and has been out coached many times. His "greatness" is due the tremendous and unfettered machine he has working in the shadows. Saban at any other school would be a top 5-10 team every year with championship runs every few years. Give him his due, but don't be confused as to why he has suddenly obtained the success he has.

Agreed. Every coach looks that much better when he has the spoils of the unquestioned #1 class of athletes coming out of HS each and every season.

I'm definitely not against him, but he's going to have to show me something this year. I'm tired of all the made up excuses

Did he mess up by bringing Muschamp because he left after one season? Or because of competency? This board was on fire with positive vibes when we hired CWM and the entire universe considered it the best move anybody made in the off-season.

Although I have nothing to back this up, I do believe bringing Muschamp in was a mistake only because I believe in order to get Muschamp to Auburn Gus agreed to slow down his offense. The offense was slow last year. Gus never gave a reason why the tempo was so slow nor did he give a reason why he couldn't fix it. I believe Muschamp had Gus do that so I am glad he is gone.

All due respect, did you really need Gus to tell you why they couldn't run tempo last year? I'm sorry, but if you watched the games last year and gave the roster just a casual glance, then I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that a conspiracy theory is needed to explain certain offensive deficiencies.

+1. Our offense was set up to be predicated on passing, our #1 WR lost his cool, our #2 lost his hands, and our #1 QB lost his mind, and #2 got hurt.

That'll slow an offense.

And have we seen any indication that this year will be better?

Well, #2 is now #1 and a year older, not hurt, stronger, and knows the O better. Also a new QB with speed to burn. But none of that matters to you. You just find anyone's parade and try and piss all over it.

Well, #2 is now #1 and a year older, not hurt, stronger, and knows the O better. Also a new QB with speed to burn. But none of that matters to you. You just find anyone's parade and try and piss all over it.

I hope you're right. I think our receivers will be at least a little better FWIW.

Saban and Alabama are equivalent to what Obama is for conservatives to some AU fans. Scapegoat for all of our problems. Bottomline is this team was picked to win the SEC and to be one of the four teams in the playoffs by many college football pundits. When you underachieve to a .500 level, it would cause alarm for any fanbase, particularly one like Auburn, who at the very least should be at 8 wins pre-bowl game.

I to am on the fence.

I said when Gus was hired that I thought he was a 8-9 win per season coach. When we went to the Nat'l Championship in 2014, I ordered my crow, well done, and took a big ole' bite. At that time, I was sure I was wrong about him.

Having said that, I am starting to believe that 2014 was an anomaly. The woes at QB, WR and a lackluster defensive front seven are my biggest gripes. If we don't get some vastly improved play from those positions this season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Auburn do good to eke out 7 to 8 wins. And, if that happens, I will have a very hard time defending him.

I to am on the fence.

I said when Gus was hired that I thought he was a 8-9 win per season coach. When we went to the Nat'l Championship in 2014, I ordered my crow, well done, and took a big ole' bite. At that time, I was sure I was wrong about him.

Having said that, I am starting to believe that 2014 was an anomaly. The woes at QB, WR and a lackluster defensive front seven are my biggest gripes. If we don't get some vastly improved play from those positions this season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Auburn do good to eke out 7 to 8 wins. And, if that happens, I will have a very hard time defending him.

2014?

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

I would definitely have a conversation with Herman at UH

I to am on the fence.

2014?

Clearly, he meant 2013. Simple mistake

I to am on the fence.

2014?

he's technically correct

Plain and simple, Gus is hard headed and abrasive to a fault. This will be his ultimate undoing. Gus is going to do his thing no matter what. Everyone in America might know what is fixing to happen or what play is fixing to be called but Gus is not going to change it. I hate to say it but in a way Gus is pompous. A youth rec coach can get his team to change what they run on a fast paced play after a first down. Gus refuses to do it. Why? The WR Screen has not worked or fooled anyone since he was the OC here but he still runs the heck out of it. Why? We have not incorporated a single slant play in our offensive arsenal. In fact we either throw the WR Screen or we throw the go route and that is it. The most unimaginable route scheme I have ever seen and it has not changed. We went from the Darvin Adams jump ball to the Sammie Coates jump ball, to the throw it into triple coverage jump ball. Why? We line a in the elusive Wildcat formation and run the same play every single time. Never changing it, never a wrinkle, never something to make the defense think. Why? In front of the media Gus gives pressers or interviews like someone has inserted hot rocks into his pants. We criticize Saban for being a real turd when our own coach is the most non approachable guy during an interview. If he smiled just once during the Auburn Football Review with Bramlett or during a presser his face would shatter. Needless to say, I am not on the Gus Bus and I have no intentions of getting back on because he is too hard headed to stop at the red lights. As far as signs pointing to the unraveling of the team it is easy to see if you take the glasses off. You don't lose 11 staff members and 12 players from a smooth running machine.

All in with GUS. 1 off season doesn't make a bad coach. Look around the college football land scape and you will see parity and we have a great chance at going all the way to the CHAMPIONSHIP! WDE!

crystal ball needed

I to am on the fence.

2014?

he's technically correct

Yup, it was the 2013 season but the 2014 BCS National Championship Game. Weird, I know.

I to am on the fence.

2014?

he's technically correct

Yup, it was the 2013 season but the 2014 BCS National Championship Game. Weird, I know.

May the odds be in our favor for the 2016 season....and 2017 NC game!

Plain and simple, Gus is hard headed and abrasive to a fault. This will be his ultimate undoing. Gus is going to do his thing no matter what. Everyone in America might know what is fixing to happen or what play is fixing to be called but Gus is not going to change it. I hate to say it but in a way Gus is pompous. A youth rec coach can get his team to change what they run on a fast paced play after a first down. Gus refuses to do it. Why? The WR Screen has not worked or fooled anyone since he was the OC here but he still runs the heck out of it. Why? We have not incorporated a single slant play in our offensive arsenal. In fact we either throw the WR Screen or we throw the go route and that is it. The most unimaginable route scheme I have ever seen and it has not changed. We went from the Darvin Adams jump ball to the Sammie Coates jump ball, to the throw it into triple coverage jump ball. Why? We line a in the elusive Wildcat formation and run the same play every single time. Never changing it, never a wrinkle, never something to make the defense think. Why? In front of the media Gus gives pressers or interviews like someone has inserted hot rocks into his pants. We criticize Saban for being a real turd when our own coach is the most non approachable guy during an interview. If he smiled just once during the Auburn Football Review with Bramlett or during a presser his face would shatter. Needless to say, I am not on the Gus Bus and I have no intentions of getting back on because he is too hard headed to stop at the red lights. As far as signs pointing to the unraveling of the team it is easy to see if you take the glasses off. You don't lose 11 staff members and 12 players from a smooth running machine.

Love my Tigers and will always root for them but I agree with NorthGaTiger. I will add the arrogance of not letting QBs train with a QB coach; not using the fullback position or tight end other than for blocking; sticking with JJ when it was abundantly clear he was not able to play; not istening or letting anyone input on offense; having a boy as OC who brings little as a coordinator.

Archived