Are you still on the Gus Bus?

tigerbrotha12

The fight we saw out of a mediocre football team last year is evidence of that.

This, more than any other reason, is why I'm still on the Bus. The most painful thing about 2012 was the feeling that I had more emotion invested in those terrible losses than the team did. This past year sucked, but those boys fought their tails off until the end. That shows me that the players are still on the Bus too, and that tells me all I need to know.

Perfectly put. WDE

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in with GUS. 1 off season doesn't make a bad coach. Look around the college football land scape and you will see parity and we have a great chance at going all the way to the CHAMPIONSHIP! WDE!

He's had two off seasons out of three. 2014 was no good either.

wrong. Defense wasn't improved much in 2014, but the offense was very good. 2014 was a few unfortunate turn of events and a defense that couldn't stop anybody. But it was definitely NOT an off season...

All in with GUS. 1 off season doesn't make a bad coach. Look around the college football land scape and you will see parity and we have a great chance at going all the way to the CHAMPIONSHIP! WDE!

He's had two off seasons out of three. 2014 was no good either.

wrong. Defense wasn't improved much in 2014, but the offense was very good. 2014 was a few unfortunate turn of events and a defense that couldn't stop anybody. But it was definitely NOT an off season...

Critical turnovers on offense, blowout loss to UGA, loss to bammer, loss to Wiscy in the bowl game to end the season, finished unranked. Two good wins-LSU and Ole Miss. In my opinion it was not a good season at all. Very Tot-esque

We actually finished ranked, though the end of 2014 was (for me) far more painful than 2012.

My goals for this year are:

#1--Win at least one more game (a veteran pair of lines, what should be a breakout year by JR along with a good pair of HBs, a strong secondary, and an elite kicker should be expected to lift us to that point), get a bid to one of the SEC group of six bowls (Belk, Gator, Liberty, Music City, Outback, Texas)

#2--Show that we're headed in the right direction--establish some semblance of a (good) direction at QB (which includes getting WB on board), and recruit AT LEAST one (but really need two) RBs besides Alaric--probably Devan Barrett and maybe a guy from JUCO.

I am definitely on the fence at this point. I am hoping for the best but I am tempering my expectations about CGM.

I am so on the bus I am shifting the gears as Mlalzahn pumps the clutch.

I am one of the few or maybe the only poster here to think Malzahn did a fine job keeping last year’s team competitive. With all that occurred last year I doubt there is coach out there who could have gotten more of last year’s team.

To wit

Offense

The starting qb loses his mojo in the first game of the season and never recovers.

The second string qb, who is a redshirt freshman, starts game 4.

The starting Hback is either a true freshman or redshirt freshman.

The best wr turns out to be a head case, is dismissed from the team.

Two starters on the oline are not only in new positions but are a year removed from playing a down.

Defense

New Defensive coordinator. As we all know a defense historically struggles as it transitions from one coaching staff to another.

The defense lost Lawson in the first half of the Louisville game.

The defense lost Holsey in the second game of the season.

I got off the Gus Bus after last year's Georgia game. Gus managed to lose to one of the worst Georgia teams Richt ever fielded.

Yes an I agree with the OP's second paragraph 100%. He gets a competent qb and switches up a few play calls and we are back in business.

We don't want to be TN. 12 years of switching coaches and losing.

Still on the bus. I just have a feeling Gus has the potential to be a great HC and he is still on a steep learning curve.

I'd hate for us to pay for his "schooling" only to see him leave and benefit another school after he "graduates".

I still see him as a long term investment that requires patience. At least 2-3 years worth.

Did he mess up by bringing Muschamp because he left after one season? Or because of competency? This board was on fire with positive vibes when we hired CWM and the entire universe considered it the best move anybody made in the off-season.

Although I have nothing to back this up, I do believe bringing Muschamp in was a mistake only because I believe in order to get Muschamp to Auburn Gus agreed to slow down his offense. The offense was slow last year. Gus never gave a reason why the tempo was so slow nor did he give a reason why he couldn't fix it. I believe Muschamp had Gus do that so I am glad he is gone.

All due respect, did you really need Gus to tell you why they couldn't run tempo last year? I'm sorry, but if you watched the games last year and gave the roster just a casual glance, then I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that a conspiracy theory is needed to explain certain offensive deficiencies.

+1. Our offense was set up to be predicated on passing, our #1 WR lost his cool, our #2 lost his hands, and our #1 QB lost his mind, and #2 got hurt.

That'll slow an offense.

Bingo. The list doesn't stop there, but folks are tired of hearing me talk about it.

It's hard for some of our brethren to look across the state and accept mediocrity, even with cause. Saban is the best coach in college football history. I imagine if they weren't winning we'd be more equipped to handle these few years as a fan base, 08 and 12 notwithstanding.

Last year was promising, just not the results we'd expect. Last year may be Gus's best coaching job to date.

:-\ :gofig: lol.

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

First call would be Jimbo. Second call would be Charles Kelly. If Jay got to hire the next football coach.

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

First call would be Jimbo. Second call would be Charles Kelly. If Jay got to hire the next football coach.

The first call will definitely not be Jimbo.

Why?

Last year was promising, just not the results we'd expect. Last year may be Gus's best coaching job to date.

To quote the hecklers at AU baseball games, "NOT EVEN.....CLOSE!" 2013 was his best work as a HC & not just because of the record. He handled the team better & made better coaching decisions. He made many head scratchers last season.

Lol. Ok.

Not what I've heard.

Not what I've heard.

I doubt Jimbo would answer the call. Typical JJ. The guy is a handicap. I'd be really happy if we somehow got him, though. It would mean Craig is coming back (hearing about how ineffective Kodi is on the recruiting trail just makes me angrier at Rhett for being the cause of driving off DC). We don't want to be in the '70s again.

Not what I've heard.

I doubt Jimbo would answer the call. Typical JJ. The guy is a handicap. I'd be really happy if we somehow got him, though. It would mean Craig is coming back (hearing about how ineffective Kodi is on the recruiting trail just makes me angrier at Rhett for being the cause of driving off DC). We don't want to be in the '70s again but it sounds like we could.

Lot more to DC leaving than RL. Things got toxic and it was in both parties interest to move on. And both parties should take some of the blame.

Not what I've heard.

I doubt Jimbo would answer the call. Typical JJ. The guy is a handicap. I'd be really happy if we somehow got him, though. It would mean Craig is coming back (hearing about how ineffective Kodi is on the recruiting trail just makes me angrier at Rhett for being the cause of driving off DC). We don't want to be in the '70s again but it sounds like we could.

You would think not but............

Not what I've heard.

For the millionth time Went RL did not run off CDC. Yes they had their issues but in the end the differences were far bigger b/w CDC & Gus. CDC & Gus have basically burned their bridges with each other.

And Jimbo would definitely take the call, job on the other hand IDK.

Not what I've heard.

Lot more to DC leaving than RL. Things got toxic and it was in both parties interest to move on. And both parties should take some of the blame.

Given a toxic relationship, it's pretty awesome that DC still delivered the WR class that he did...at least gives Kodi a little breathing room on his first year.

Not what I've heard.

Given a toxic relationship, it's pretty awesome that DC still delivered the WR class that he did...at least gives Kodi a little breathing room on his first year.

Worked his tail off until the end.

Archived