Are you still on the Gus Bus?

tigerbrotha12

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

First call would be Jimbo. Second call would be Charles Kelly. If Jay got to hire the next football coach.

The first call will definitely not be Jimbo.

Not what I've heard.

I doubt Jimbo would answer the call. Typical JJ. The guy is a handicap. I'd be really happy if we somehow got him, though. It would mean Craig is coming back (hearing about how ineffective Kodi is on the recruiting trail just makes me angrier at Rhett for being the cause of driving off DC). We don't want to be in the '70s again but it sounds like we could.

Lot more to DC leaving than RL. Things got toxic and it was in both parties interest to move on. And both parties should take some of the blame.

Given a toxic relationship, it's pretty awesome that DC still delivered the WR class that he did...at least gives Kodi a little breathing room on his first year.

Worked his tail off until the end.

On the recruiting trail yes. In the office not sure his head was completely in it given how frustrated he was not being listened too.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do however like the job T-Will has done so far. The fact that he's made a rap song has to help, right? ;)

If this is Gus's last year here, do we have any viable and decent replacement options? We don't need (and probably wouldn't get) a home run, but every other team in the west is able to make decent hires, and so should we.

First call would be Jimbo. Second call would be Charles Kelly. If Jay got to hire the next football coach.

Not what I've heard.

I doubt Jimbo would answer the call. Typical JJ. The guy is a handicap. I'd be really happy if we somehow got him, though. It would mean Craig is coming back (hearing about how ineffective Kodi is on the recruiting trail just makes me angrier at Rhett for being the cause of driving off DC). We don't want to be in the '70s again but it sounds like we could.

Lot more to DC leaving than RL. Things got toxic and it was in both parties interest to move on. And both parties should take some of the blame.

Given a toxic relationship, it's pretty awesome that DC still delivered the WR class that he did...at least gives Kodi a little breathing room on his first year.

Worked his tail off until the end.

On the recruiting trail yes. In the office not sure his head was completely in it given how frustrated he was not being listened too.

That's what I was referring to. I wouldn't know about anything else.

I to am on the fence.

I said when Gus was hired that I thought he was a 8-9 win per season coach. When we went to the Nat'l Championship in 2014, I ordered my crow, well done, and took a big ole' bite. At that time, I was sure I was wrong about him.

Having said that, I am starting to believe that 2014 was an anomaly. The woes at QB, WR and a lackluster defensive front seven are my biggest gripes. If we don't get some vastly improved play from those positions this season, it wouldn't surprise me to see Auburn do good to eke out 7 to 8 wins. And, if that happens, I will have a very hard time defending him.

I said this too during that time. 8-9 win coach and would struggle against the normally heavy hitters in the SEC: Bama, LSU & UGA. I gladly ate crow and hope that statement doesn't define Gus as a HC. I'm on the fence with Gus. I sincerely don't want to go through another coaching change anytime soon unless we can get a guarantee of a HC like Tom Herman and that's not going to happen so i really hope Gus can pull it together and get us back on track.

I feel like he has all the tools he needs for us to win consistently. My biggest problem with him is his unwillingness to make some adjustments and not be so stubborn. And it doesn't have to be major adjustments but it's just frustrating continuously watching someone trying to fit a square in a circle when it clearly doesn't fit.

He's expressed this year he's going back to what made him a hot commodity to being with. I'm eager to see if that will be the case or just a continuation of lip service he commonly gives in his interviews. I'm tired of the excuses. Every team has injuries and key players that don't pan out but don't hit rock bottom in a season. Too much talent coming through AU to not at least be a consistent 8 win team.

Not what I've heard.

People can question DC all that want but no one should ever question DC's love for AU.

Plain and simple, Gus is hard headed and abrasive to a fault. This will be his ultimate undoing. Gus is going to do his thing no matter what. Everyone in America might know what is fixing to happen or what play is fixing to be called but Gus is not going to change it. I hate to say it but in a way Gus is pompous. A youth rec coach can get his team to change what they run on a fast paced play after a first down. Gus refuses to do it. Why? The WR Screen has not worked or fooled anyone since he was the OC here but he still runs the heck out of it. Why? We have not incorporated a single slant play in our offensive arsenal. In fact we either throw the WR Screen or we throw the go route and that is it. The most unimaginable route scheme I have ever seen and it has not changed. We went from the Darvin Adams jump ball to the Sammie Coates jump ball, to the throw it into triple coverage jump ball. Why? We line a in the elusive Wildcat formation and run the same play every single time. Never changing it, never a wrinkle, never something to make the defense think. Why? In front of the media Gus gives pressers or interviews like someone has inserted hot rocks into his pants. We criticize Saban for being a real turd when our own coach is the most non approachable guy during an interview. If he smiled just once during the Auburn Football Review with Bramlett or during a presser his face would shatter. Needless to say, I am not on the Gus Bus and I have no intentions of getting back on because he is too hard headed to stop at the red lights. As far as signs pointing to the unraveling of the team it is easy to see if you take the glasses off. You don't lose 11 staff members and 12 players from a smooth running machine.

The play calling is perplexing to me b/c it's not like he's incapable of making adjustments. He has a really good offensive mind. I don't know if it has to do with him not being confident in making certain changes or not really trusting his QBs to execute but when it comes to the QBs i get it but at the same time...we have what we have at that position and we can't "hide" our QBs.

If SW stays healthy and is the starter i have faith he can lead us IF we design a good game plan behind him. I mean it was done with Chris Todd. I know people often go back to this example but i've watch Todd's highlights the year Gus had him and you don't see a ton of WR screens or just go routes. It was a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets and moving the pocket for Chris. Spread the field out which helped the running and passing game. I'm not asking for us to sling the ball all over the field but i do like the idea of spreading the field with more 4 WR sets or moving the pocket from time to time for SW.

People can question DC all that want but no one should ever question DC's love for AU.

No doubt.

Plain and simple, Gus is hard headed and abrasive to a fault. This will be his ultimate undoing. Gus is going to do his thing no matter what. Everyone in America might know what is fixing to happen or what play is fixing to be called but Gus is not going to change it. I hate to say it but in a way Gus is pompous. A youth rec coach can get his team to change what they run on a fast paced play after a first down. Gus refuses to do it. Why? The WR Screen has not worked or fooled anyone since he was the OC here but he still runs the heck out of it. Why? We have not incorporated a single slant play in our offensive arsenal. In fact we either throw the WR Screen or we throw the go route and that is it. The most unimaginable route scheme I have ever seen and it has not changed. We went from the Darvin Adams jump ball to the Sammie Coates jump ball, to the throw it into triple coverage jump ball. Why? We line a in the elusive Wildcat formation and run the same play every single time. Never changing it, never a wrinkle, never something to make the defense think. Why? In front of the media Gus gives pressers or interviews like someone has inserted hot rocks into his pants. We criticize Saban for being a real turd when our own coach is the most non approachable guy during an interview. If he smiled just once during the Auburn Football Review with Bramlett or during a presser his face would shatter. Needless to say, I am not on the Gus Bus and I have no intentions of getting back on because he is too hard headed to stop at the red lights. As far as signs pointing to the unraveling of the team it is easy to see if you take the glasses off. You don't lose 11 staff members and 12 players from a smooth running machine.

The play calling is perplexing to me b/c it's not like he's incapable of making adjustments. He has a really good offensive mind. I don't know if it has to do with him not being confident in making certain changes or not really trusting his QBs to execute but when it comes to the QBs i get it but at the same time...we have what we have at that position and we can't "hide" our QBs.

If SW stays healthy and is the starter i have faith he can lead us IF we design a good game plan behind him. I mean it was done with Chris Todd. I know people often go back to this example but i've watch Todd's highlights the year Gus had him and you don't see a ton of WR screens or just go routes. It was a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets and moving the pocket for Chris. Spread the field out which helped the running and passing game. I'm not asking for us to sling the ball all over the field but i do like the idea of spreading the field with more 4 WR sets or moving the pocket from time to time for SW.

Our receivers last year were terrible. We had Darvin Adams in 2009 and 2010. He was a difference maker. Our WR's last year were liabilities, and cost us at least one game

Our receivers last year were terrible. We had Darvin Adams in 2009 and 2010. He was a difference maker. Our WR's last year were liabilities, and cost us at least one game

I agree they were a liability but we still needed to commit to some sort of passing attack to help the run game. That's why i couldn't understand why we didn't involve Roc in the passing game b/c our WRs were such a liability. I don't know what happened with Melvin Ray as the previous year he was dependable but outside of Louis and Ray we really didn't seem to give other WRs much of a chance. I get it b/c it's up to them to catch the ball #1 and they seemed to also have issues with separation and using their bodies to create some space and get open. This is why i'm so high on the younger WRs as i feel like they'll exceed our expectations honestly. I like Jason Smith's athleticism but at this point i don't really believe in him as a WR; esp. starting.

If the young guys can handle the big moments of the SEC mentally i love Craig, Kyle & mixing in Slayton with valuable playing time and even as starters with Kyle and Craig. Putting them with an experienced M. Davis. Hopefully Roc stays b/c he'd def. be a nice weapon but if not I can see Truitt or Ryan Davis playing that role; if Truitt can stay healthy.

I support Gus 100%, but he knows and we all know he is expected to win. A couple more seasons where he wins half the games and he will be gone. Hopefully that is not going to happen and he will be the HC for many years.

You know another WR we could have used off that 2009 team? Terrell Zachery. Underrated guy. Big, fast, strong, sure hands, blocked well... great guy to have in this offense. He was the go to guy on that pump fake play down the sidelines that year, and I think he also broke a couple reverses for huge plays. Ricardo was basically a more athletic but less sure-handed version of T-Zach.

Regardless, if Sean can stay on the field this year- and now that he'll have a much better combination of experience and talent in front of and around him- maybe Gus will suddenly look like an intelligent play caller again.

You know another WR we could have used off that 2009 team? Terrell Zachery. Underrated guy. Big, fast, strong, sure hands, blocked well... great guy to have in this offense. He was the go to guy on that pump fake play down the sidelines that year, and I think he also broke a couple reverses for huge plays. Ricardo was basically a more athletic but less sure-handed version of T-Zach.

Regardless, if Sean can stay on the field this year- and now that he'll have a much better combination of experience and talent in front of and around him- maybe Gus will suddenly look like an intelligent play caller again.

Loved T-Zach. He was def. clutch as well as Adams.

Love me some T Zach. A workhorse, nose grinding kind of dude.

Given time, I think Gus could be the perfect head coach for Auburn. However, how much time he will be granted to deliver on his promise is another matter entirely. JJ won't be as itchy to fire another coach since firing Gus would pretty much spell an end to his own time at Auburn, however, another mediocre season with losses to LSU and Alabama is more than likely. I think 8 regular season wins is the absolute ceiling in 2016. I don't know if Gus can weather the kind of hostility he faced last season again. He still has a lot of learning to do as a head coach, and he is being paid like an experienced coach. I don't know if this fan base really has that kind of patience. If Alabama doesn't make the playoffs and Auburn shows some improvement, then maybe Gus will get another season to turn things around.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any silver bullet solution to the current roster problems which only time and more recruiting classes can heal. Unfortunately, as well, some of those 4 and 5-star recruits just do not pan out when it comes to performing in the SEC. Alabama has signed more than a few that didn't pan out either, Saban just ran them off because his team has terrific depth.

Frankly, I think Gus deserves two more full seasons to turn this around. Yes, he is hard-headed, but he is not stupid. He loves Auburn, and it is not his wish to run the program into the ground. He has been served up more than his share of bad luck and difficult circumstances. He has created a good bit of it all by himself. We should have realized just how much on-the-job training he would require when he was hired. The SEC championship only clouded the obvious circumstances. However, he did not lose the team in 2015, and that says a lot. I think most of the players on the roster believe in Malzahn. Those that don't have left or will soon be gone.

How the young players respond to the adversity will dictate Gus' fate. Generally, championship teams take 6-8 years to build. Gus deserves more time, and I will be rooting for him to get it.

The 'former Auburn ties' requirement for coaches is becoming painful. I'm sure DC was pissed about the management of the qb's and that we only threw the ball on a bubble screen with no blockeds or on a streak into tripple coverage. Not to mention only passing on obvious situations. No reason he wasn't coaching qb's.

Digressing, I'm less and less on the bus the more I'm catching up with the ongoings of the program. Too much smoke to not be a fire.

The 'former Auburn ties' requirement for coaches is becoming painful. I'm sure DC was pissed about the management of the qb's and that we only threw the ball on a bubble screen with no blockeds or on a streak into tripple coverage. Not to mention only passing on obvious situations. No reason he wasn't coaching qb's.

Digressing, I'm less and less on the bus the more I'm catching up with the ongoings of the program. Too much smoke to not be a fire.

Every time I see that now, I recall how many times the media used "where there's smoke there's fire" in regard to the Cam Newton fiasco. "It ain't necessarily so" is another old line, tried and true.

Every time I see that now, I recall how many times the media used "where there's smoke there's fire" in regard to the Cam Newton fiasco. "It ain't necessarily so" is another old line, tried and true.

Amen

Amen

+2

I got off the Gus Bus after last year's Georgia game. Gus managed to lose to one of the worst Georgia teams Richt ever fielded.

thats where he lost me for good. putting white into that game is one of if not the dumbest decision i've ever seen an auburn coach make.

i won't be happy until malzahn is fired.

I got off the Gus Bus after last year's Georgia game. Gus managed to lose to one of the worst Georgia teams Richt ever fielded.

thats where he lost me for good. putting white into that game is one of if not the dumbest decision i've ever seen an auburn coach make.

And if we have a good season this year?

i'm not holding my breath

You didn't answer the question.

I'm not holding my breath on a positive response from him/her.

I'm not holding my breath on a positive response from him/her.

good or bad season, i will buy season tickets for what will be then the 22d straight year and hope for better days.

i seriously have my doubts if malzahn is the coach to bring those days back to auburn.

Archived