Are you still on the Gus Bus?

tigerbrotha12

I think the Muschamp move was smart at the time. Remember, everyone knew Muschamp would be taking off eventually, we all just thought it would be after 2 or 3 years instead of 1. When you have that opportunity, there's no way you don't take it. To be honest, the ramifications of the Muschamp hire will not be truly felt until after this year, after we see what impact Steele can have on the defense continuing the scheme and terminology of the Muschamp D. Already, recruiting seems to be moving along at roughly the same pace, at least in terms of interest and targets (even though commits are on the light side because of 6-6 in 2015) and losing Muschamp didn't really affect Derrick Brown or others. I can't blame Malzahn for Muschamp and I totally understand what he's doing with Steele.

I think management of the staff and team is what has been lacking and that may just be due to Malzahn's inexperience as a head man. It takes a couple of seasons to figure out the best way to work for each coach and it's different for everyone. 2015 was a learning experience for Malzahn in the same way that 2012 was for Chizik. He says he's learned from it but we'll see if he's learned enough to rise above it and improve the team. There's a lot of skepticism surrounding the offense this year (with good reason) both because of the failures of last year and the hiring decisions of the offseason. Malzahn is an offense coach at heart and if the defense improves - that's awesome. But Malzahn will be judged according to how good or bad the offense is. He's basically his own worst enemy at this point because of his prior success - success at Arkansas in 2006, #1 offense at Tulsa in 2007 and 2008, improved offense in 2009, MNC in 2010 at Auburn, 12-2 in 2013 and still a high-scoring offense at Auburn in 2014. A dramatic drop-off and a failure to return it to a better level is going to hurt him big time in terms of perception. That's the reason we've had like 30 posts started asking if he or Lashlee can actually develop a QB. He's paid a lot of money to make Auburn successful - he needs to deliver at a better level than 6-6 while continuing to lose to the big rivals like Alabama, Georgia, and LSU.

He deserves a chance to right the ship in 2016. He doesn't have to go 12-0, but he needs to show improvement both in production on the field and in the win column.

My name is OxPx and I approve this message.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did he mess up by bringing Muschamp because he left after one season? Or because of competency? This board was on fire with positive vibes when we hired CWM and the entire universe considered it the best move anybody made in the off-season.

It was bad because Muschamp only stayed one year. I understand the hire and why it was made. When it was made I was excited but said that it would turn out to be a bad hire if Muschamp move on quickly. The #1 thing we need on the defense is stability and M didn't bring that. It's amazing how many D coaches we've cycled through since about 2005. As a coach you have to see things long term, Muschamp was the sexy hire and Gus got seduced by it.

I'm still on the bus. Gus can make a statement about what kind of HC he wants to be this season. Some learning bumps along the way, as do most coaches this early in the profession.

Hopefully he learned a good bit about what not to do last year. From listening to him about being a coach and not a CEO, it sounds like he has at least recognized a major issue and is attempting to correct it.

WDE

Did he mess up by bringing Muschamp because he left after one season? Or because of competency? This board was on fire with positive vibes when we hired CWM and the entire universe considered it the best move anybody made in the off-season.

It was bad because Muschamp only stayed one year. I understand the hire and why it was made. When it was made I was excited but said that it would turn out to be a bad hire if Muschamp move on quickly. The #1 thing we need on the defense is stability and M didn't bring that. It's amazing how many D coaches we've cycled through since about 2005. As a coach you have to see things long term, Muschamp was the sexy hire and Gus got seduced by it.

And our defense is in much, MUCH better shape than it was when he got here. He instituted a badly needed cultural change and brought in some really good recruits while he was here. Defensive recruiting for 2015 was in the garbage until he and TRob turned it around (and quickly). And we finished with a pretty good class in 2016, despite his departure.

Stability is cool, but it's far from the most important thing for a defense. The most important thing is talent. We have that. The second most important thing is having a good coach. We had that and we might have it again. Falling in line somewhere behind those and before stability is kids having their minds right. We didn't have that for before Muschamp arrived and we did by the time he left.

Oh, and Steele coaches a similar defensive philosophy to Muschamp, so the stability concern is even further diminished.

Even if none of that is true, how can you say it was a mistake before the 2016 season even starts? What happens if the defense plays really well against Clemson? Will you still think it was a mistake?

We got what we paid for with Muschamp. We needed that side of the ball to wake the hell up and he did that. I was bummed that he left but it's nobody's fault. The only kind of program that would want him and that he would leave for had one of the most revered coaches in all of football bounce midseason. Feel free to be mad about it but it's not Gus's fault. Muschamp was a grand slam if he'd stayed. Instead, I'd call him a standing triple.

Gus says we'll be better every year. He's the head coach, so what else to you think he'll say this time of year. Talking is one thing, but really do it it's a lot different.

Although I have nothing to back this up, I do believe bringing Muschamp in was a mistake only because I believe in order to get Muschamp to Auburn Gus agreed to slow down his offense. The offense was slow last year. Gus never gave a reason why the tempo was so slow nor did he give a reason why he couldn't fix it. I believe Muschamp had Gus do that so I am glad he is gone.

Yes. I'm and Auburn grad, and as long as Gus is our coach, I support him. If he leaves (for whatever reason), I will thank him for his time at Auburn, wish him the best, and support the new coach. All the griping and complaining about this coach or that coach only serves to harm Auburn. Imagine the impact on recruits and their families if every time they logged onto an Auburn site all they read was "He's our guy, we are family, and we are behind him 100%". Have there been times when a change had to be made? Sure, and the change was made. The endless whining on an internet board doesn't affect that decision, it just makes us look like we will only support he coach if he's winning. We should support the coach because he s leading our young men into battle and those young men are representing Auburn University

Gus will be starting his 4th as Auburn head coach. Hasn't he learned anything about going around rough bumps during the first 3 years. I don't think he has.

That's fair. And I feel really bad for all our highly rated defensive players because they haven't been able to stick their teeth in a scheme and truly learn it.

Although I have nothing to back this up, I do believe bringing Muschamp in was a mistake only because I believe in order to get Muschamp to Auburn Gus agreed to slow down his offense. The offense was slow last year. Gus never gave a reason why the tempo was so slow nor did he give a reason why he couldn't fix it. I believe Muschamp had Gus do that so I am glad he is gone.

All due respect, did you really need Gus to tell you why they couldn't run tempo last year? I'm sorry, but if you watched the games last year and gave the roster just a casual glance, then I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that a conspiracy theory is needed to explain certain offensive deficiencies.

Yes.

Gus has a healthy list of pros (terrific O mind, class guy, good front man for Auburn, recruits well, etc) and his cons are - at this point - mostly red flags & uninfected cuts (handling of ass't coaches, when to be stubborn & not, players getting in legal trouble, etc).

And there are some ways an 8 win season this year would keep me on the Gusbus.

All due respect, did you really need Gus to tell you why they couldn't run tempo last year? I'm sorry, but if you watched the games last year and gave the roster just a casual glance, then I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that a conspiracy theory is needed to explain certain offensive deficiencies.

+1. Our offense was set up to be predicated on passing, our #1 WR lost his cool, our #2 lost his hands, and our #1 QB lost his mind, and #2 got hurt.

That'll slow an offense.

+1. Our offense was set up to be predicated on passing, our #1 WR lost his cool, our #2 lost his hands, and our #1 QB lost his mind, and #2 got hurt.

That'll slow an offense.

Bingo. The list doesn't stop there, but folks are tired of hearing me talk about it.

That'll slow an offense.

Bingo. The list doesn't stop there, but folks are tired of hearing me talk about it.

It's hard for some of our brethren to look across the state and accept mediocrity, even with cause. Saban is the best coach in college football history. I imagine if they weren't winning we'd be more equipped to handle these few years as a fan base, 08 and 12 notwithstanding.

Last year was promising, just not the results we'd expect. Last year may be Gus's best coaching job to date.

To answer the topic question...Yes.

There is no way I am getting off of the Gus Bus. I think after the bus having its engine turbo-charged and some helium put in its tires, it is ready to start smashing over any team that happens it get in its way!

That'll slow an offense.

It's hard for some of our brethren to look across the state and accept mediocrity, even with cause. Saban is the best coach in college football history. I imagine if they weren't winning we'd be more equipped to handle these few years as a fan base, 08 and 12 notwithstanding.

Last year was promising, just not the results we'd expect. Last year may be Gus's best coaching job to date.

Yes, Auburn is at the center of the universe!

I've always hated the term "Gus Bus".

But I'm with those on the fence.

As said, he makes a good salary to produce results. He should do so and if he does good but do not extend contracts change buyouts etc.

Reward exceptional work only . We need to see some of that or make other arrangements.

In hindsight I hope oxpx is right about last year being his best job coaching. I hope it ends up being that last years team was literally only a QB away and that he held the whole thing together to hit 7 wins in spite of all of that. This is a very interesting take on it.

In hindsight I hope oxpx is right about last year being his best job coaching. I hope it ends up being that last years team was literally only a QB away and that he held the whole thing together to hit 7 wins in spite of all of that. This is a very interesting take on it.

I found myself wondering just how much a good QB could've helped our overall record last year. Not even a great QB, just a good one. We'll throw LSU out. I'm not sure QB play was our problem against MSU or Arkansas, even though the score was so close in both of those. We definitely would've won the UGA game, probably Ole Miss, and bama almost certainly would've been close. Louisville and Jax St would've looked completely different.

We'll say 9-4 with only one loss by more than one score, and that's assuming a "good" quarterback couldn't have given us one more touchdown a game than a healthy redshirt freshman with no prior college experience, which is what we had when we lost close ones to MSU and Arkansas. Now do we look at the lack of experience elsewhere and the Duke Williams situation and think, "We're right there and we can be optimistic about 2016"? I think maybe I do.

You have to give Saban his credit, but I do not think even he avoids a season like last year without the "comforts" afforded to him across the state. I think the difference would be that we may have beaten Arky last year and beaten aTm the previous season. I do not think we would have gotten the LSU kind of rematch in the NC game. Considering the disadvantages we have not being THE state school we are still better off year after year than Miami, Cincy, Oky State, and the likes.

Edit: With that said I have not seen a reason to hop off the Gus Bus. Most teams that went through what we did last season at WR/QB and lost their hands down best defensive player would have fallen flat on their face.

Archived