Military-Grade, Assault Weapons

RunInRed

This is probably covered in another thread but I wanted to get specific ...

Personally, I can not fathom a single situation where an ordinary citizens would have any need to purchase and possess a military grade fully automatic assault rifle.

If you disagree, could you please explain why these should be legal to purchase?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can think of one reason: Gun Collecting as a hobby. Strych is an example of a reasonable and well trained gun collector that is not a threat to society.

Other reasons include being useful in the events of: gang fights, bank robberies, sex trafficking, killing multiple innocents within one clip, and of course, the zombie apocalypse.

2nd amendment right.. For a well regulated militia?

Question I have is how a rifle was brought into a night club - in Orlando . In June.

Personally, I can not fathom a single situation where an ordinary citizens would have any need to purchase and possess a military grade fully automatic assault rifle.

If you disagree, could you please explain why these should be legal to purchase?

I could be wrong, but I don't think a fully automatic one is legal.

Some say that the AR type rifles are perfect for home defense. I imagine that's debatable. I'd say for 99.9% of people, a semi-auto handgun and/or a double barrel shotgun are sufficient for that. Maybe add a compact pistol for concealed carry to the mix.

If we don't ban them, they should be considered a different class of weapon that requires more extensive background checks and such.

Question I have is how a rifle was brought into a night club - in Orlando . In June.

I don't think he snuck it in. I think he more or less shot his way in.

Some say that the AR type rifles are perfect for home defense. I imagine that's debatable. I'd say for 99.9% of people, a semi-auto handgun and/or a double barrel shotgun are sufficient for that. Maybe add a compact pistol for concealed carry to the mix.

If we don't ban them, they should be considered a different class of weapon that requires more extensive background checks and such.

Didn't the shooter legally buy an AR-15 days before he went on the killing spree?

I'm no gun expert but I believe it can fire off something like 45 rounds in a minute.

FTR - This is the same style gun used in San Bernadino, Newtown, Roseburg and Aurora.

A hand gun, self-defense ... whatever, fine. But these military style weapons need to be banned.

article-gun2-0612.jpg

I don't think he snuck it in. I think he more or less shot his way in.

Ahhh.

Do u feel Radical Islam had anything to do with this?

Allot of damage can be done with a sick mind and a hunting rifle, or hand gun and explosives made with fertilizer.

" A hand gun, self-defense ... whatever, fine. But these military style weapons need to be banned."

Wrong. They don't.

They are legal, but they are classified as NFA weapons. The only transferable ones (meaning can be bought or sold by people) were manufactured and registered before 1986. This is why they are so expensive. The process of acquiring one is the same as you would go through for a suppressor or short-barreled rifle, which involves the the ATF and requires the signature of a local senior law enforcement officer (Chief or Sheriff). While the tax is only $200 per NFA stamp, the nature of the process, the high cost of legal automatic weapons, and time required effectively dissuades anyone that would want to use one in a mass shooting or a shooting of any sort.

Do u feel Radical Islam had anything to do with this?

Allot of damage can be done with a sick mind and a hunting rifle, or hand gun and explosives made with fertilizer.

If they are every bit as effective, why are mass shootings with AR15 variants so much more common?

" A hand gun, self-defense ... whatever, fine. But these military style weapons need to be banned."

Wrong. They don't.

Ok, so what's your suggestion to keep these out of the hands of any nut job who wants to walk into a crowded space and open fire?

I own three automatic weapons, and several semi-automatic weapons (including a few AR's). I enjoy collecting, and I enjoy them immensely at the range. The automatic weapons are usually a great conversation piece.

That AR-15's and AK-47's can be legally purchased is not the problem, just as banning them (which will never effectively happen) will not solve the problem. The problem is not the type of gun that can be bought, it is that the entire process of acquiring a firearm is easier than getting a driver's license. In many states, there is no regulation of private sales of firearms at all.

There's absolutely no reason for these types of weapons to be available to the public. All of our rights have limits, this one needs to have limits as well.

Wrong. They don't.

Ok, so what's your suggestion to keep these out of the hands of any nut job who wants to walk into a crowded space and open fire?

The gun isn't the issue. And warnings about THIS religious nutjob were ignored.

Look there first.

Semi-automatic - weapons fire once each time the triggers is pressed. Trigger must be released and pressed again for it to fire again. AR-15 style rifles are like this and many hunting rifles.

fully automatic - as long as the trigger is pressed the weapons fires until it runs out of ammunition. Machines guns are like this and the old M-16A1 and AK-47 rifles from the Vietnam war era are like this.

Fully automatic weapons require a special license to obtain. Even the military reduced the use of fully automatic capable rifles like the M-16A1 because infantrymen tended to waste ammunition while using full automatic. Instead the newer military battle rifles have a selector switch that allows either semi-auto or 3 shot burst modes.

I own three automatic weapons, and several semi-automatic weapons (including a few AR's). I enjoy collecting, and I enjoy them immensely at the range. The automatic weapons are usually a great conversation piece.

That AR-15's and AK-47's can be legally purchased is not the problem, just as banning them (which will never effectively happen) will not solve the problem. The problem is not the type of gun that can be bought, it is that the entire process of acquiring a firearm is easier than getting a driver's license. In many states, there is no regulation of private sales of firearms at all.

If the Orlando shooter legally bought the gun last week, maybe there needs to be waiting periods before obtaining the weapons. That subtle deterrence may stop a small percentage of mass shootings, meaning more lives are saved.

Wrong. They don't.

I don't think that there is a real answer to that question. No matter the weapon, all one needs is the willingness to trade one's life for another. If you ban assault rifles, people will be able to find them on the black market and those that undedstand and know how the black market work aren't the ones looking for collection pieces. Just like prohibition, some group will fill the vacuum left behind.

Shooter had killing in his heart. Take the " AR " out of his hands, anyone believe doesn't carry out this attack?

He had a pistol too. He could have used a shotgun ... Probably a better weapon in that situation ... or used " what ever". A bomb vest? Point is, the rifle is NOT the GD issue!!!!!!!!!

If the Orlando shooter legally bought the gun last week, maybe there needs to be waiting periods before obtaining the weapons. That subtle deterrence may stop a small percentage of mass shootings, meaning more lives are saved.

I know I've mentioned it in numerous other threads, but I have no problem at all with firearms being more difficult to obtain. If there was a push to classify sporting rifles as NFA weapons, I could possibly be brought on board with that. They would still be obtainable for anyone that should be able to have one, and the process would either deter or exclude people like this particular killer.

The NRA has a default position of fighting any legislation on firearms of any kind, and that is not a position I can agree with. That said, there are millions of sporting rifles in the United States, and that represents millions of people that have a negative opinion on the issue of banning their sporting rifles; I should be counted among them. I do think that we need to take a look at our background check process, and I do think all private sales should be subject to background checks as well. The goal should be keeping all firearms out of the wrong hands.

I have a friend that runs a gun store. Here was his store's Facebook status regarding gun sales at his store since the Orlando attacks. This is just an example of why the government will never succeed in banning military grade firearms.

State of the Market:

Just to let everyone know what's going on. I hate to make anyone be scared into buying anything. I don't like the fear mongering. This time it is coming. In the last 10 hours I have seen 90% of all AR style rifles sell out from all of my distributors. On top of that, 110,100 of just the base model gen 2 Pmags have sold in the last 10 hours. I will try to keep up with demand if I can, but it is going to be crazy. We must not stop fighting against the Liberals. They will continue to try and take away our rights. We must not give up or give in.

3D printing technology will eventually allow the creating of all sorts of weapons including fully automatic weapons. The first 3D printed guns were crude, made of polymers and could only be fired a couple times. Metal can now be used in some 3D printing processes.

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/evolution-3d-printing-technology-raises-security-concerns/

Archived